ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska vs other teams

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Nothing new per se, but couldn’t find best thread to fit this in. It really resonated watching Tennessee vs Georgia.

Such an important facet of the game that I’m always noticing involves preparation and football intelligence. That’s how you can potentially overcome any talent deficiencies- by maximizing your own potential.

What I see far more often than not are other teams that simply look better prepared than Nebraska. We’ve all boiled that down to “coaching.” Regardless of some teams having superior speed, size, strength, what I see is better awareness, preparedness and fundamentals like leverage and tackling.

I saw no confidence/swagger from the offense yesterday, no vibe that they really knew what they were doing or how they were trying to do it. Team almost looks confused. Smothers did seem more comfortable than Purdy.

Busch for example has prepped his defense way more than Chinander did to at least have them ready to line up on time. That’s a big improvement, even if not quite enough all the time.

I just can’t excuse how discombobulated the offense looks. Ignoring any physical shortcomings, we don’t look ready to run and execute a plan that involves running a few types of plays with any competence, regardless if they are successful.

Purdy is completing around 40% of passes with average yds per completion less than 3 yds and a QBR below 50.

Maybe he’s relatively inexperienced, but he’s an athlete who has practiced the position every day for multiple years. Those number show a gross incompetence pointing arrows beyond his raw talent.

OL may lack athleticism, but how many times have they been beat from lack of recognition of what’s happening?

While it’s a complex game, all the time they dedicate to it should yield much better results on the spectrum of playing to the best of your abilities.

I saw no confidence/swagger from the offense yesterday, no vibe that they really knew what they were doing or how they were trying to do it. Team almost looks confused. Smothers did seem more comfortable than Purdy.
You didn't see the Husker's first 2 scoring drives? They looked like conference champions and Purdy a 4-star QB.

Thereafter?....about how you describe.

That's what needs explanation.

Reactions: HominidHusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT