ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska vs. Northwestern Game #2 (Huskers lose 5-0)

RobsterMobster

Administrator
Jan 5, 2010
Nebraska starting lineup
CF - Ryan Boldt
SS - Jake Placzek
DH - Ben Miller
C - Tanner Lubach
3B - Blake Headley
RF - Austin Darby
1B - Scott Schreiber
LF - Luis Alvarado
SS - Wes Edrington

Top 1st

Leadoff single for Bold but Placzek grounds into a 1-6-3 DP. Miller grounds out to 2B to end the top half.

Top 2nd

Infield single for Lubach, Headley grounds into a FC to SS, Lubach is out at 2nd and Headley is safe at 1st. Headley is thrown out trying to steal 2nd. Darby with a two out single. Schreiber follows with a single of his own, Darby moves to 2nd. An E5 loads the bases for Alvarado. Wes K's looking to end the threat.

Wow. BTN is giving us Rutgers at Penn St. The Big Ten is clueless. This is no way to promote your conference.

Where is Illinois/OSU? Iowa/Michigan? Indiana/Maryland?

Top 3rd

An E6 allows Boldt to reach 1st and then steals 2nd. Placzek K's but Boldt steals 3rd, one out. Miller grounds out to the pitcher so Boldt has to stay at 3rd. Lubach K's to end the threat.

Wow. BTN is giving us Rutgers at Penn St. The Big Ten is clueless. This is no way to promote your conference.

Where is Illinois/OSU? Iowa/Michigan? Indiana/Maryland?

I was just thinking the same thing, its like little league for BTN, everyone gets a turn. We have 6 teams in the top 31 RPI and none of them are on TV right now.

Bottom 3rd

One out single for Northwestern. A long single off the wall in LF puts runners on 1st and 2nd. RBI single but a runner is thrown out at 3rd as the batter makes it to 2nd. An RBI Double plates another runner. Schreiber snags a line drive to end the inning.

Top 4th

Headley with a leadoff single. Darby grounds out to 1st but Headley moves to 2nd. Schreiber grounds out to SS but Headley moves to 3rd. Alvarado grounds out to SS to end the threat.

We've had the leadoff runner on every inning but have nothing to show for it.

Gotta feel sorry for Nebraska pitchers. 15th in team ERA and can't get help from the offense

Top 5th

Boldt with a one out infield single. Placzek grounds into another double play and ends the top half.

Gotta feel sorry for Nebraska pitchers. 15th in team ERA and can't get help from the offense

I would also add our 3rd base coaching has been pretty bad all year. Its time they address that issue as a staff.

Bottom 5th

leadoff single for Northwestern. 6-3 DP wipes the bases clean. A K ends the inning.

Top 6th

Ben Miller with a leadoff single. Lubach K's for out #1. Headley with a line out to SS and Ben is doubled off 1st to end the top half.

Wish DE would stop with the lefty/righty matchups and get Schlepp in this game. Cox or Dilday too. We need to find some magic and fast.

Now it's 4-0 NW. Good grief.

Bottom 6th

Leadoff single for Northwestern. Kubat K's the next batter. A double puts runners on 2nd and 3rd. A two RBI double for Northwestern. An RBI double extends the lead. Kubats day is now over as Hohensee is in to pitch.

The next two batters go down in order to end the inning.

Last edited:
Wish DE would stop with the lefty/righty matchups and get Schlepp in this game. Cox or Dilday too. We need to find some magic and fast.

Now it's 4-0 NW. Good grief.

Alvarado is the 3rd best LF on this team but somehow he keeps finding the field because of what side of the plate he bats on.

Long term it may be better for this team to miss a regional. Anything to get Erstad to wake up and smell the roses in regards to his teams god awful offensive approach. Plus, we know by watching this team they really aren't a regional type team despite the numbers...from the top down.

Very frustrating, can't keep listening to this the way our offense is. It may as well be 35-0 cuz idk that we are even capable of scoring 5 runs in a game much less a couple innings....

Our offensive drop off:

Ben Miller
2014 --> .316
2015 --> .286

Blake Headley
2014 --> .323
2015 --> .288

Austin Darby
2014 --> .290
2015 --> .271

Jake Placzek
2014 --> .271
2015 --> .230

Christian Cox
2014 --> .300
2015 --> .138

Tanner Lubach - Slight Improvement
2014 --> .282
2015 --> .288

Ryan Boldt - Only Significant Improvement
2014 --> .311
2015 --> .346

We have three guys over .300 and one of them is Fish

Last edited:
The 7th inning allows no action of note. Sorry I was looking into our offensive drop off from last year.

Top 8th

One out walk for Placzek. Miller flies out, Lubach with a single to put runners on 1st and 3rd. Headley pops up to LF to end the threat.

Through 8 innings:

9 Nebraska hits + 1 walk
2 Nebraska stolen bases
2 Northwestern errors
0 Nebraska runs

That's really hard to do.

The lack of timely hitting was a typical problem in the last years of the Mike Anderson era. I think it might be an even bigger problem now. The only thing keeping us from being as bad as we were then is more quality pitching.

Bottom 8th

One out single, a stolen base, and a single puts runners on the corners. 1-2-5 rundown gets the out after an attempted safety squeeze, Runners on 1st and 2nd, two outs. Groundout to 2nd ends the inning.

Top 9th

Two out singles for Alvarado and Fish. Boldt grounds out to end the game and even up the series at 1-1

We were just shutout by one of the worse pitching staffs in the Big Ten Conference

A highly disappointing loss today for sure but it's just fine if it's followed up by a Sunday win and a sweep of Purdue. I really only expected two wins in Evanston anyway.

That said, I am quite concerned about the psyche of this team. They haven't been playing well for a while now and I'm sure they're starting to feel that time is running out for them to turn it around.

We shall see how they deal with a must-win game tomorrow. Which it most definitely is.

Through 8 innings:

9 Nebraska hits + 1 walk
2 Nebraska stolen bases
2 Northwestern errors
0 Nebraska runs

That's really hard to do.

Final numbers:

11 Nebraska hits + 1 walk
2 Nebraska stolen bases
2 Northwestern errors
0 Nebraska runs

A highly disappointing loss today for sure but it's just fine if it's followed up by a Sunday win and a sweep of Purdue. I really only expected two wins in Evanston anyway.

That said, I am quite concerned about the psyche of this team. They haven't been playing well for a while now and I'm sure they're starting to feel that time is running out for them to turn it around.

We shall see how they deal with a must-win game tomorrow. Which it most definitely is.
Honestly, does it matter at this point? This team is not very good. That much is proven. Erstad needs to dig deep in the offseason in regards to how offensively he wants to run this program. I'm not expecting much to change though based on how Erstad has ran the program thus far. Which has been well....mediocre. But hey...Atleast we are over .500.

Last edited:
Honestly, does it matter at this point? This team is not very good. That much is proven.

Of course it matters. I'm a fan and I want them to win tomorrow, sweep Purdue, take two in Champaign, win a bunch of games at Target Field and move on to a regional.

What's proven is that they have 32 wins against a top 20 schedule. Teams that are "not very good" don't do that. They weren't as good as their 15-1 home stand led us to believe and they're not as bad as their recent results.

Of course it matters. I'm a fan and I want them to win tomorrow, sweep Purdue, take two in Champaign, win a bunch of games at Target Field and move on to a regional.

What's proven is that they have 32 wins against a top 20 schedule. Teams that are "not very good" don't do that. They weren't as good as their 15-1 home stand led us to believe and they're not as bad as their recent results.
^^^This. All of it.

Having said that...
Indiana is crushing Maryland, 13-2 T 9th, winning the Maryland series. This moves them to 7th in the BIG bumping us back to 8th. We are barely ahead of Minny who has Irvine this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT