ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska vs Illinois- who wins?

I think we win by 21 at least. I know it sounds weird or lofty but they just had a coaching change and honestly we should have won by that much last year. Turnovers killed us. I just think we are better this year.

Big Ten Coaches making their Big Ten debuts, after replacing a fired coach, are 3-27 in their first Big Ten conference games since 2000.

1 of those wins was Harbaugh drawing Rutgers in game one at Michigan.

The other 2 wins just happened to involve new coaches facing another brand new coach making his debut, post firing.

Adrian Martinez has more than 800 total yards with 11 total TD's (7 passing, 4 rushing) and 1 Int in his career vs Illinois.

The Illini will be transitioning to the 3-4 from the 4-3 and inserting the Pistol offense. Nebraska has a big time advantage drawing Illinois in game one. Most programs get to play a few non con games before having to face a league foe with so many new parts.

Big Ten Coaches making their Big Ten debuts, after replacing a fired coach, are 3-27 in their first Big Ten conference games since 2000.

The other 2 wins just happened to involve new coaches facing another brand new coach making his debut, post firing.

Adrian Martinez has more than 800 total yards with 11 total TD's (7 passing, 4 rushing) and 1 Int in his career vs Illinois.

The Illini will be transitioning to the 3-4 from the 4-3 and inserting the Pistol offense. Nebraska has a big time advantage drawing Illinois in game one. Most programs get to play a few non con games before having to face a league foe with so many new parts.
I agree with this. Bielema has more familiarity with the B1G than those examples, but it is too much to overcome in this case. On the flip side, if we were to somehow lose this game, it would be disastrous.

Nebraska is 14-0 in games played in August..

Reactions: ADV1 and PaducahVol
Not the fans.

Illinois vs Nebraska is a snoozer.

b3dde524646dd5ac15094a0758893843.gif

Who wins this game and why? Curious to see how y’all come out the gate this season. Would appreciate thoughts. Thank you.
I usually go with team that is better up front. Their online is quite good
56-24 Husker. Close at half and then blow it open
No way. They have a lot of experiences and talented players. Their oline is strong and qb can throw it pretty well. They are moving that athletic running qb to receiver and will have a good wildcat package for him. Their oline will put pressure on our lb to execute

I usually go with team that is better up front. Their online is quite good

No way. They have a lot of experiences and talented players. Their oline is strong and qb can throw it pretty well. They are moving that athletic running qb to receiver and will have a good wildcat package for him. Their oline will put pressure on our lb to execute
So make a prediction than. You know no more info than I do. It’s a message board. We’ve put up yards all over them, I think this time we convert and show out early.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
So make a prediction than. You know no more info than I do. It’s a message board. We’ve put up yards all over them, I think this time we convert and show out early.

My prediction, 35-31 Nebraska. We are going to be clenching our buttholes at the end of the game.

I think we close out game one, but that's not saying we will be great this year.

My prediction, 35-31 Nebraska. We are going to be clenching our buttholes at the end of the game.

I think we close out game one, but that's not saying we will be great this year.
Yeah. I’m sipping a hair amount of koolaid, but I like Toure, Nixon, Martin and Falck. Also feel like Broen and maybe some others may contribute. I feel like we just have more athletes on O to make us more multiple and think that’ll open it up for everyone. I am really high on Gabe Ervin. Want to see him in a game, but think he could be real good

Yeah. I’m sipping a hair amount of koolaid, but I like Toure, Nixon, Martin and Falck. Also feel like Broen and maybe some others may contribute. I feel like we just have more athletes on O to make us more multiple and think that’ll open it up for everyone. I am really high on Gabe Ervin. Want to see him in a game, but think he could be real good
What about defense? Can the Husker defense hold Illinois under 30?

Reactions: Jaemekon
Depends on if our numbskull penalties and special teams issues have been addressed...if so, we should win, and win fairly easy. If not, well.....

Reactions: Jaemekon
It will be close. I think we can win in a close one but it will be a grind it out game.
I agree. Nebraska obviously has the advantage with Bielema as a new coach but he has some weapons on offense and the Huskers have no tape on Illinois coached by Bielema.

Kenny White, known as the "Wizzard of Odds", rates 9,000 players in experience, size, speed, strength, stats and other intangibles. His novel formula has Nebraska only slightly favored.

“Illinois will be a hard-nosed, power-run football team that will control the line of scrimmage,” says White, a second-generation oddsmaker. “That game will be a battle. [Ex-coach] Lovie Smith brought in players, so Bielema is walking into a good situation.”

I think White is under-rating Nebraska but Illinois has a very good OL and RB returning to go along with a 6th year QB. Don't know much about their defense other than their MLB is projected all-Big Ten by several publications. In any event, anyone expecting a blowout win will be disappointed IMO.

Reactions: PaducahVol
I agree. Nebraska obviously has the advantage with Bielema as a new coach but he has some weapons on offense and the Huskers have no tape on Illinois coached by Bielema.

Kenny White, known as the "Wizzard of Odds", rates 9,000 players in experience, size, speed, strength, stats and other intangibles. His novel formula has Nebraska only slightly favored.

“Illinois will be a hard-nosed, power-run football team that will control the line of scrimmage,” says White, a second-generation oddsmaker. “That game will be a battle. [Ex-coach] Lovie Smith brought in players, so Bielema is walking into a good situation.”

I think White is under-rating Nebraska but Illinois has a very good OL and RB to go along with a 6th year QB. Don't know much about their defense other than their MLB is projected all-Big Ten by several publications. In any event, anyone expecting a blowout win will be disappointed IMO.
Not suggesting a blowout but if Nebraska doesn’t turn the ball over at the start of the game like the past two years against Illinois, covering the spread isn’t that far fetched…

I don't know why but I think we win this game by a comfortable margin. Koolaid? I don't know. I think our guys are hungry and I think this might be a break out year for Frost. Or... we lose to Illinois and the whole season goes in the shitter. I think the whole team and coaching staff know how important it is for our whole program to win this game. So we are either sky-high tight and piss down our legs, or we come out and lay some wood. I think the latter. It is now or never time for this staff.

This game will come down to the play of the back 7 for Nebraska. In the offense that Bielema will run, the QB is only about 4 yards deep in his shotgun formation and the back will be 3 yards behind him. Linebackers and DBs should be able to identify play action earlier and have time to drop into position if need be. IF Illinois had a better runner at QB, they may be able to take advantage of the back seven dropping into coverage where the QB would take off running. But their QB is only partially mobile. JMHO

I hope that I'm wrong but I think Illinois wins. I couldn't give you a specific reason as to why I think Nebraska loses beyond that I don't have much faith in this coaching staff. They've shown a tendency to lose winnable games so I am just expecting that and hoping I'm wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT