ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska vs Illinois- who wins?

What about defense? Can the Husker defense hold Illinois under 30?
I’d bet on the under. As long as Nebraska’s offense doesn’t give Illinois great starting field position off turnovers, no way Illinois gets to 30.

The #5 team in the division against the #7 team. #7 has a new coach and going to a new defense. This is an absolute must win if we are to have any hope of success this season. We not only need to beat #7 we need to route them. don’t take the foot off the gas until the 2nd string goes in. Ill say 42-10 win.

I’d bet on the under. As long as Nebraska’s offense doesn’t give Illinois great starting field position off turnovers, no way Illinois gets to 30.
It should be interesting. One of my pre-season predictions is that Chase Brown will lead the Big Ten in rushing yards this year. I believe Bielema will go run heavy because OL and RB is is where most of the talent and experience resides for the Illini this year. If healthy, Brown will get around 20 carries per game, I think. Nebraska will need to jump on them early or this contest will turn into a clock eater IMO.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Should be a really physical game. I do think we start out fast, be up 10-14 for the majority of the game then score late to solidify win. Must win game for Frost & Co. 42-24 NU

Reactions: leodisflowers
We win by 30 or more and will hold them to 3-10 points.

This is such a great conference opener because Illinois will want to run but the NU DL should be really good against the run.

I could see this being a sort of boring 30-17 type of game.

Offense has got to limit turnovers and capitalize in the red zone. Have to score touchdowns vs FGs. I have no idea if they’ll win or lose. The game is a complete toss up.

Reactions: scarletred
Interesting stat I stole from the other site:

Illinois is shifting to the 3-4 from the 4-3. Since 2018, Nebraska has faced the 3-4 defense six times. During those 6 games, Nebraska is averaging 32 points and 490 yards per game.

It should be interesting. One of my pre-season predictions is that Chase Brown will lead the Big Ten in rushing yards this year. I believe Bielema will go run heavy because OL and RB is is where most of the talent and experience resides for the Illini this year. If healthy, Brown will get around 20 carries per game, I think. Nebraska will need to jump on them early or this contest will turn into a clock eater IMO.
I’m putting my money on Ibrahim from Minnesota to lead the Big 10 in rushing… They also will lead the Big 10 in rushing as a team too..

Reactions: Husker Hambone
I’m putting my money on Ibrahim from Minnesota to lead the Big 10 in rushing… They also will lead the Big 10 in rushing as a team too..

I doubt they lead the league in rushing. Their running game is built solely to sell the RPO by keeping the defense honest. Minnesota is more than content giving Mo Ibrahim the football 35 times at 4 yards per carry. That will certainly earn him an All-Big Ten selection and allow him to lead the league in rushing. But that total will likely only be 4th or 5th in the league.

My predictions for rushing in the Big Ten this season:

1. Ohio State
2. Wisconsin
3. Nebraska
4. Illinois
5. Minnesota
6. Northwestern
7. Michigan
8. Penn State
9. Iowa
10. Maryland
11. Rutgers
12. Michigan State
13. Indiana
14. Purdue

I doubt they lead the league in rushing. Their running game is built solely to sell the RPO by keeping the defense honest. Minnesota is more than content giving Mo Ibrahim the football 35 times at 4 yards per carry. That will certainly earn him an All-Big Ten selection and allow him to lead the league in rushing. But that total will likely only be 4th or 5th in the league.

My predictions for rushing in the Big Ten this season:

1. Ohio State
2. Wisconsin
3. Nebraska
4. Illinois
5. Minnesota
6. Northwestern
7. Michigan
8. Penn State
9. Iowa
10. Maryland
11. Rutgers
12. Michigan State
13. Indiana
14. Purdue
Your probably correct on leading the Big 10 as a team, Ohio St and Wisconsin would more than likely rush for more but I’d bet they will have more rushing yards than Illinois..

If we get some consistency with two healthy running backs I think Nebraska could be in the top 2 or 3 rushing teams..

Guess I'll take the Under...once they post it.

Reports from Illinois practice:

Today is day one for the Illini. Nebraska has already completed day 4. Both teams will have the same amount of practices and live practices, so that's kind of a moot point.

Offensive Line for Illinois officially includes 3 returning starters. According to the media and all publications, they had 4 returning starters. That has changed as 2020 Starting RG, Verdis Brown has been moved to the Defensive Line where Illinois desperately needs bodies. They are very much in a situation like Nebraska in 2018 where they really only had a trusted rotation of about 4 players to play in the 3-4 along the defensive line.

The offensive line will include the following Seniors for Illinois:

C - Doug Kramer
RT - Alex Palczewski
LT- Vederian Lowe

There will be two new FCS Transfer Guards playing for Illinois:

RG - Jack Badovinac from Colgate - a bit undersized at 6'2 295
and
LG - Blake Jeretsay from Wofford - also a bit smaller at 6'2 295

The tackles for Illinois are pretty good. Lowe is a legit NFL mid to late round guy. Palczewski is a potential FA invitee, but has dealt with a lot of injury issues in his career.

It will be very fascinating to watch the progression of the Offensive Guards. For Badovinac, he has only played in one career game vs. an FBS opponent, and hasn't played in a live game since the 2019 season.

Jeretsay started at Center for Wofford in 2019 when they faced Clemson. Wofford totaled 84 yards and 5 first downs vs. the Clemson 1st and 2nd string in that game... But that's not really fair way to gauge the kid. This will be his first Power 5 start at Offensive Guard.

I bring that up because These guards will be facing a combination of Ben Stille, Damion Daniels, Ty Robinson, and Casey Rogers. The new Illinois guards will be giving up a lot with consideration to size and Power 5 snap experience.

Also early on from Illinois camp, Isaiah Williams looks electric as everyone knows. But the former QB is apparently dropping passes according to observers.

Interesting stat I stole from the other site:

Illinois is shifting to the 3-4 from the 4-3. Since 2018, Nebraska has faced the 3-4 defense six times. During those 6 games, Nebraska is averaging 32 points and 490 yards per game.
what is our W-L record in these 6 games? guessing 2-4.

Last edited:
what is our W-L record in these 6 games? guessing 2-4.

3-3

Wins over Maryland (19), Purdue (20), Northern Illinois (19)

Losses to Indiana (19), Wisconsin (19) Wisconsin (18)

Martinez is 3-2 facing the 3-4 defense. He did not play in the 2019 Indiana game. Maryland, Purdue, and Northern Illinois were all in year one of their 3-4 defense.

Huskers will face three teams running the 3-4 in 2021: Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Purdue has shifted back to the 4-3 after one year of Fiasco.. I mean Diaco.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I agree with this. Bielema has more familiarity with the B1G than those examples, but it is too much to overcome in this case. On the flip side, if we were to somehow lose this game, it would be disastrous.

Kirk Ferentz and Fitzgerald were the only Big Ten Coaches coaching in the Big Ten, the last time Brett Bielema was around the Big Ten.

Although, I guarantee he's really familiar with Wisconsin considering Paul Chryst will still be running the same offense Wisconsin ran every season Brett was in Madison.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT