ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska vs Illinois game

The one thing NU's defense has measurably improved at since 2018 is stopping the run. I have to believe running will be the emphasis for UofI because it's his thing, they have an excellent RB, and I'm not aware that their QBs are any good.

My guess is they'll be playing to NU's strength as a defense. If nothing else we'll have some huge dudes who can clog up the middle. The big question marks are still in coverage and pass rush.

NU *should* be able to beat Illinois pretty handily. But that's assuming they don't play like morons all game and make a bunch of idiotic, cutesy play calls on offense. We know how that has gone in the past.

BS
Riley’s strength and conditioning set us back at least 3 years..

Laughable. Frost has set us back...how long? If we are giving Frost 3+ years of excuses the next coach is going to get what 5+ years after this staff gets canned?

And even if your post was true(it’s not)....that makes big mouth Frost even more laughable spouting off on how his team was ready to compete for a division title in year 2. 5-7 record later, followed up by another sub .500 year Frost is one of the biggest laughing stocks in the nation.

Laughable. Frost has set us back...how long? If we are giving Frost 3+ years of excuses the next coach is going to get what 5+ years after this staff gets canned?

And even if your post was true(it’s not)....that makes big mouth Frost even more laughable spouting off on how his team was ready to compete for a division title in year 2. 5-7 record later, followed up by another sub .500 year Frost is one of the biggest laughing stocks in the nation.
I hate to tell you but we have been the laughing stock for a long time. It isn't just under Frost.

Since you can no longer slam Erstad and Nebraska baseball team, I see you will continue with slamming SF and the football team..
Hoiberg is next on your list...

Do iowa, wisc and minn (8-1 vs Frost) not run power oriented offenses?

Your comments are beyond moronic, and make for fantastic fodder when the opposite of your predictions happen basically the second the season starts.

The list bit is hilarious. But not as funny as claiming you know one iota more about football than me or anyone else while vomiting up the literal dumbest sh*t on the board weekly.
You again? You must be a very lonely person if you have to be so negative about anything and everything.

Since you can no longer slam Erstad and Nebraska baseball team, I see you will continue with slamming SF and the football team..
Hoiberg is next on your list...

If the shoe fits....

And nope, Hoiberg is literally the best we can do as a basketball program that is historically one of the worst.

Erstad was proven mediocre, I was right on that one. I was 100% wrong for wanting Frost. I could have never imagined him being this incompetent. And yes, I will continue to slam Frost as he has done a terrible job on every level. That’s not changing this upcoming year.

Looking at this Illinois game more and more. I think this is going to be a lot tougher than people think. To start off Bret Bielema has Nebraska's number more than any coach in the country (besides Urban Meyer). He has throttled Nebraska when he was at Wisconsin so that there alone makes me worried. I know that he was a major flop at Arkansas but the dude knows how to win in the Big 10. Brandon Peters is a capable QB that should have all the confidence in the world after last years game. Mix everything in with this being the first game of the year, where NU has had problems in the past getting it going and figuring out new personnel more than other teams. The game is also in Champaign, which isn't normally intimating but you have to think the game may be sold out with this being BB's first game, first game of full attendance in two years, etc.

Total yardage of Martinez lead offenses against Illinois

2018 - 606 Total yards with average to slightly above average big ten talent around him
2019 - 674 Total yards with a well below average Big Ten supporting cast
2021 - ???, Significantly better talent around him than 2019 and likely better than 2018.

2020 (Luke) - 392 Total Yards and illinois wasn't much better defensively than those other years and statistically equivelent to the Rutgers team Martinez helped put 600+ on.

What happened last year. Team was a bit full of themselves after PSU handed us a game we won despite McCaffery, not because of him and his 100 passer rating in 2020. Strength of Illinois team (3 Sr lineman established running game). Illinois sold out that McCaffrey couldn't beat them in passing game after watchin PSU tape and were 100% right. Illinois Jumps on us quick due to turnovers and not way we are coming back with Luke back there.

Maybe the biggest two thing I took away from Spring was that Toure and Manning will start at WR (assuming health) along with Martin. The other is that the combination of Corcoran, Piper, Jurgens and Benhart have appeared to hold down there spots and are all healthy and should progress greatly over summer. Throw in 4 dudes pushing those gusy and competing for that spot and Martinez should have the best line he has had while at Nebraska in 2021

When I look at this game I see the following;

1. Martinez has shredded these guys the last two times we played and he has much better talent at his disposal, particularly at WR.

2. Illinois lost the strength of there team which was the 3 Sr offensive lineman that really gave us fits when we didn't show up ready to battle.

3. Nebraska returns almost all DL and interior LB contributors and should make it hard on Illinois new lineman

4. Illinois in first game with new head coach

If Nebraska truly is capable of competing for West and and winning 8 game next year (I personally think they are) they should have a similar statistical advantage to the Rutgers game and have a scoring differential consistent with that difference (20-30 points)

Illinois will not be very good. If Nebraska plays a competitively close game or somehow loses this game the folks that have been on the Scott sucks train are probably dead on and we are likely looking at another losing season and inevitable coaching change and mass player transition in next two years.

Personally I really excited to see how this game plays out.

- Hoping to see a typical Martinez game against Illinois
- Hoping to see Toure and Manning flash (10-15 catches combined)
- Hoping to see a RB or two emerge against a below average Big Ten run defense
- Hoping to see the defense continue its consistent progress since being worst in 2017. Current trend would put us at 4-5 YPG/PPG in 2021

- Hoping that we can be adequate on specials teams, protect the football reasonably well and have 3 games of pure optimism and renewed recruiting steam before we play OU.

If the shoe fits....

And nope, Hoiberg is literally the best we can do as a basketball program that is historically one of the worst.

Erstad was proven mediocre, I was right on that one. I was 100% wrong for wanting Frost. I could have never imagined him being this incompetent. And yes, I will continue to slam Frost as he has done a terrible job on every level. That’s not changing this upcoming year.
Rejoice! There's still time for Frost to prove you right. He's got at least 2 more years unless he fails to make a bowl game this year. If he wouldn't make a bowl game with this roster, I think he's in trouble.

If the shoe fits....

You were right that Erstad was going to be better than Van Horn..:rolleyes:

I’ll have some of that smoke your toking ...

No question SF has failed in special teams and not enough discipline but he had to build depth that he didn’t have any walking into the program in a lot of positions, no question it has taken longer than we thought..

Reactions: bshirt73
You don't understand football. You've made that clear for years.

If you don't understand the difference between the RPO and a Power Oriented offense, then you don't get the right to question my comments.
You've been wrong quite a few times through the years so you don't get to say that anyone has the right to question you or not. Whether or not the power game comes from a traditional attack or a RPO, teams have consistently been able to get the key first down by shoving it down our throat even though we know exactly what's coming. Iowa and Wisconsin has had games where they can run at will at us, but for whatever reason they choose to get cute and start slinging the football around.

Illinois is a team that has been as physical and hard hitting as any team we have played over the last several years. Everyone keeps thinking we should roll them, but I don't think they've been a good match up for our soft players. The good news is that we are getting better and tougher and maybe it's a thing of the past. We will see. I think this game could very well be an early bellwether as to how much progress we have made on that front.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

No question SF has failed in special teams and not enough discipline but he had to build depth that he didn’t have any walking into the program in a lot of positions, no question it has taken longer than we thought..

What? I never once claimed Erstad would be better than Van Horn. I’m pretty confident that the Van Horn years will never be replicated. You are confused as usual.

I disliked the Erstad hire from they get go. He wasn’t the disaster that Frost is but he was certainly mediocre. We are in much better hands with Bolt.

Looking at this Illinois game more and more. I think this is going to be a lot tougher than people think. To start off Bret Bielema has Nebraska's number more than any coach in the country (besides Urban Meyer). He has throttled Nebraska when he was at Wisconsin so that there alone makes me worried. I know that he was a major flop at Arkansas but the dude knows how to win in the Big 10. Brandon Peters is a capable QB that should have all the confidence in the world after last years game. Mix everything in with this being the first game of the year, where NU has had problems in the past getting it going and figuring out new personnel more than other teams. The game is also in Champaign, which isn't normally intimating but you have to think the game may be sold out with this being BB's first game, first game of full attendance in two years, etc.
I believe that NU is 1-2 vs. Brett. The last game NU played against him was in 2012, where the Badgers abused NU in the run game. Swapping out injured Baker Steinkuhler for Cam Meredith did not help. So the presence of Bielema on the Ill sideline has little predictive value.

Taken longer? So far he's done less with more. Worse than Riley. Let that sink in. No matter your excuses, worse than Riley.

Taken longer? So far he's done less with more. Worse than Riley. Let that sink in. No matter your excuses, worse than Riley.

Mike Riley inherited a team that had won 28 games in the previous 3 seasons with a roster that included 9 future NFL draft picks and 6 NFL Free Agents whom remain in the league. Riley also inherited a bevvy of a good Big Ten caliber players like Tommy Armstrong, Jordan Westerkamp, Alonzo Moore, and Brandon Reilly, Josh Banderas, Mike Rose-Ivey, and Marcus Newby. Riley also benefitted from being handed a good kicker and punter situation.

Scott Frost inherited a team that had won 19 games in the previous 3 seasons with a roster that included 4 future NFL draft picks and 3 NFL Free Agents whom remain in the league. And you could argue maybe JD Spielman, JoJo, and Stille are really the only players on par with the likes of Armstrong, Westerkamp, Moore, and Reilly, Bando, Newby and company. Frost also inherited the worst punter and kicker combo in the Big Ten.

Claiming Scott Frost has "done less with more" than Mike Riley is not even close to accurate.

Now 2021 is definitely time for Nebraska to show some progress and proof that the rebuild of the roster can produce tangible results. Because Nebraska has finally reached a similar talent level to what Pelini had when he was canned. And I think we will notice, Frost has built some depth at key spots that Bo never really achieved.

Total yardage of Martinez lead offenses against Illinois

2018 - 606 Total yards with average to slightly above average big ten talent around him
2019 - 674 Total yards with a well below average Big Ten supporting cast
2021 - ???, Significantly better talent around him than 2019 and likely better than 2018.

2020 (Luke) - 392 Total Yards and illinois wasn't much better defensively than those other years and statistically equivelent to the Rutgers team Martinez helped put 600+ on.

What happened last year. Team was a bit full of themselves after PSU handed us a game we won despite McCaffery, not because of him and his 100 passer rating in 2020. Strength of Illinois team (3 Sr lineman established running game). Illinois sold out that McCaffrey couldn't beat them in passing game after watchin PSU tape and were 100% right. Illinois Jumps on us quick due to turnovers and not way we are coming back with Luke back there.

Maybe the biggest two thing I took away from Spring was that Toure and Manning will start at WR (assuming health) along with Martin. The other is that the combination of Corcoran, Piper, Jurgens and Benhart have appeared to hold down there spots and are all healthy and should progress greatly over summer. Throw in 4 dudes pushing those gusy and competing for that spot and Martinez should have the best line he has had while at Nebraska in 2021

When I look at this game I see the following;

1. Martinez has shredded these guys the last two times we played and he has much better talent at his disposal, particularly at WR.

2. Illinois lost the strength of there team which was the 3 Sr offensive lineman that really gave us fits when we didn't show up ready to battle.

3. Nebraska returns almost all DL and interior LB contributors and should make it hard on Illinois new lineman

4. Illinois in first game with new head coach

If Nebraska truly is capable of competing for West and and winning 8 game next year (I personally think they are) they should have a similar statistical advantage to the Rutgers game and have a scoring differential consistent with that difference (20-30 points)

Illinois will not be very good. If Nebraska plays a competitively close game or somehow loses this game the folks that have been on the Scott sucks train are probably dead on and we are likely looking at another losing season and inevitable coaching change and mass player transition in next two years.

Personally I really excited to see how this game plays out.

- Hoping to see a typical Martinez game against Illinois
- Hoping to see Toure and Manning flash (10-15 catches combined)
- Hoping to see a RB or two emerge against a below average Big Ten run defense
- Hoping to see the defense continue its consistent progress since being worst in 2017. Current trend would put us at 4-5 YPG/PPG in 2021

- Hoping that we can be adequate on specials teams, protect the football reasonably well and have 3 games of pure optimism and renewed recruiting steam before we play OU.
Nice post. Now do totally yardage allowed last 3 years vs illinois.

We’ll wait.

What? I never once claimed Erstad would be better than Van Horn. I’m pretty confident that the Van Horn years will never be replicated. You are confused as usual.

I disliked the Erstad hire from they get go. He wasn’t the disaster that Frost is but he was certainly mediocre. We are in much better hands with Bolt.
Of course we are in better hands with Bolt.. We’re still in better Hands also with Hoieberg over Miles and we’re in better shape with SF over Riley dispute bigboxes and another moron who runs SF down ever chance he gets who is a Riley disciple and I’m not insinuating that big boxes is a moron...

Mike Riley inherited a team that had won 28 games in the previous 3 seasons with a roster that included 9 future NFL draft picks and 6 NFL Free Agents whom remain in the league. Riley also inherited a bevvy of a good Big Ten caliber players like Tommy Armstrong, Jordan Westerkamp, Alonzo Moore, and Brandon Reilly, Josh Banderas, Mike Rose-Ivey, and Marcus Newby. Riley also benefitted from being handed a good kicker and punter situation.

Scott Frost inherited a team that had won 19 games in the previous 3 seasons with a roster that included 4 future NFL draft picks and 3 NFL Free Agents whom remain in the league. And you could argue maybe JD Spielman, JoJo, and Stille are really the only players on par with the likes of Armstrong, Westerkamp, Moore, and Reilly, Bando, Newby and company. Frost also inherited the worst punter and kicker combo in the Big Ten.

Claiming Scott Frost has "done less with more" than Mike Riley is not even close to accurate.

Now 2021 is definitely time for Nebraska to show some progress and proof that the rebuild of the roster can produce tangible results. Because Nebraska has finally reached a similar talent level to what Pelini had when he was canned. And I think we will notice, Frost has built some depth at key spots that Bo never really achieved.
My metric is wins. What's yours?

Reactions: jeans1515
Less than more compared to the rest of the B1G West. Riley had difficult positions to field due to Bo's lazy recruiting. We didn't give him a pass and neither should Frost. He's underperformed every year. You say this is finally the year he gets to .500?

You should look at Brett Bielema's career record with Paul Chryst as his OC, then look at the record without Chryst.

I only bring that up because I would argue Chryst has had Nebraska's number more than any other coach.

Valid point.

UW was only 1-1, but took out Nebraska in Indy with an 8-6 Badgers team in 2012, with an OC named Matt Canada, who will get OC nod with Pittsburgh Steelers in 2021.

Tony Peterson has 30 years in College Football and moves back to Big Ten after a season at App State last year.

Illinois has some players back and Lovie Smith likely helped more than hurt the roster in Champaign.

My metric is wins. What's yours?

The same metric that Barry Switzer used at Oklahoma:

Jimmy's and Joes.

But if Frost goes into year one and year two with Jordan Westerkamp, Brandon Reilly, Alonzo Moore, Demornay Pierson-El, Stan Morgan, Terrell Newby, Cethan Carter, and Devine Ozigbo, Nebraska wins 20 games those two seasons, even with that cracker jack defense.

That doesn't mean Frost escapes culpability for his teams mistakes, poor special teams play, or the cavalcade of offensive skill player turnover.

But players and athletes mask deficiencies. Mike Riley was handed a roster that was better than 75% of the Big Ten.

Frost was handed a roster that was better than 33% of the Big Ten.

Reactions: scarletred
The same metric that Barry Switzer used at Oklahoma:

Jimmy's and Joes.

But if Frost goes into year one and year two with Jordan Westerkamp, Brandon Reilly, Alonzo Moore, Demornay Pierson-El, Stan Morgan, Terrell Newby, Cethan Carter, and Devine Ozigbo, Nebraska wins 20 games those two seasons, even with that cracker jack defense.

That doesn't mean Frost escapes culpability for his teams mistakes, poor special teams play, or the cavalcade of offensive skill player turnover.

But players and athletes mask deficiencies. Mike Riley was handed a roster that was better than 75% of the Big Ten.

Frost was handed a roster that was better than 33% of the Big Ten.

Lovie Smith got a W in Year 1 against Nebraska, so Bret Bielema and his 2021 team are likely gunning for a good kick start, like Indiana received in 2020 with OT win over Penn State.

This should be an interesting Week 0 game.

Lovie Smith got a W in Year 1 against Nebraska, so Bret Bielema and his 2021 team are likely gunning for a good kick start, like Indiana received in 2020 with OT win over Penn State.

This should be an interesting Week 0 game.

No he didn't. Nebraska beat them 31-16 in his first season.

You are right, it was Bill Cubit's lone season as head coach.

Bret Bielema will have is team likely ready, as will Scott Frost.

Big Ten Football, Week 0 or Week 1, suspect some solid football.

Nebraska's 2015 loss to Illinois was arguably much worse than their loss in 2020. That 2015 team was hot garbage. The 2020 squad at least returned some good players from a Bowl Team.

New Big Ten Coaches in their first league game since 2000 (I included Ferentz in 99 as well):

MSU Mel Tucker - Loss to Rutgers in 2020
Maryland Mike Locksley- loss to Penn State in 2019
Nebraska Scott Frost - loss to Purdue in 2018
Minnesota PJ Fleck - loss to Maryland in 2017
Indiana Tom Allen - loss to Penn State in 2017
Purdue Jeff Brohm - loss to Michigan
Penn State James Franklin - loss to Northwestern in 2014
Michigan Jim Harbaugh -- Win over Maryland in 2015 - in Maryland's 1st Big Ten game
Ohio State Ryan Day - win over Nebraska in 2019
Ohio State - Urban Meyer - win over Indiana in 2012
NW Pat Fitzgerald - loss to Penn State in 2006
Iowa Kirk Ferentz - loss to Michigan State in 1999
Wisconsin Brett Bielema - Loss to Michigan in 2006
Wisconsin Gary Anderson - win over Purdue
Wisconsin Paul Chryst - loss to Iowa in 2015
Michigan Brady Hoke - win over Minnesota in 2011
Nebraska Bo Pelini - loss to Wisconsin in 2011
Michigan Rich Rodriguez - loss to Illinois 2008
MSU Mark Dantonio - loss to Wisconsin in 2007
Indiana Bill Lynch - loss to Illinois in 2007
Indiana Kevin Wilson - loss to Penn State in 2011
Minnesota Jerry Kill - loss to Michigan in 2011
Michigan Tracey Clayes- Loss to Michigan in 2015
Minnesota Tim Brewster - loss to Purdue in 2007
Rutgers Chris Ash - loss to Iowa in 2016
Rutgers Kyle Flood- loss to Penn State in 2014
Rutgers Greg Schiano - win over Mel Tucker in 2020
Michigan State's Bobby Williams - loss to Northwestern in 2000
Michigan State's John L. Williams - win over Iowa in 2003
Nebraska's Mike Riley - loss to Illinois in 2015
Illinois Bill Cubit - win over Mike Riley in 2015
Illinois Lovie Smith - loss to Nebraska in 2016
Illinois Tim Beckman - loss to Penn State in 2012
Illinois Ron Zook - loss to Michigan State in 2005

Big Ten Coaches are 8-26 in their Big Ten debuts at a new program

6 of those wins occurred for new coaches at Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State and Wisconsin when the new coaches took over winning teams or rosters full of high level talent.

The 2 other wins occurred when new coaches beat another new coach in a head to head matchup.

beilema only had NEBs number because he had players. He does not have players at Illinois. without players he is nothing.

The Illini players last year with Lovie Smith did win in Lincoln though.

Nebraska should win, but we have witnessed on any given Saturday, that games can go down to the wire.

In season openers, turnovers, special teams and mental mistakes can come back to bite.

Minnesota in 2019 had a solid team, up to their losses against Iowa and Wisconsin. They didn't quit.

They were in tough home games to open season:

South Dakota State 28-21
at Fresno State 38-35
Georgia Southern 35-32
At Purdue 38-31

Broke out 40-17 against Illinois finally in B1G opener. This was PJ Frost's third season. Last year, year 4 fell to 3-4 in Big Ten, while 2-7, 3-6, then 7-2 his first 3 seasons.

Illini with 1st year coach Bielema will get smoked by GONU. Martinez is ready to shine, the D is scary, but improving, I hope.

Gg
510 yards allowed in 2018 - 190 on the last 2 drives after Nebraska built a 47-21 lead.
299 yards allowed in 2019.
490 yards allowed in 2020

Saved me some work.

-So in games Martinez started we average roughly 200 YPG more than illinois, counting the 200 in garbage time in 2018.

Martinez will have the most talent around him since he has been here and a defense that will likely be in top 5 in Big in both YPG and PPG as it improved statistically a couple spots each of last 3 years. I think we will see as big a statistical mismatch in this game as we did Rutgers. If the team get a couple big plays, protects the football and doesn't completely suck on special teams return and coverage units Nebraska should win this game going away.

We shall see.

Of course we are in better hands with Bolt.. We’re still in better Hands also with Hoieberg over Miles and we’re in better shape with SF over Riley dispute bigboxes and another moron who runs SF down ever chance he gets who is a Riley disciple and I’m not insinuating that big boxes is a moron...

Have another beer old man...first I said Erstad was going to be better than Van Horn and now I’m a Riley disciple? Hilarious.

Oh and let me know when Frost wins 9 games like Riley did in year two. Frost can barely accumulate that many wins in two years.

The Illini players last year with Lovie Smith did win in Lincoln though.

Nebraska should win, but we have witnessed on any given Saturday, that games can go down to the wire.

In season openers, turnovers, special teams and mental mistakes can come back to bite.

Minnesota in 2019 had a solid team, up to their losses against Iowa and Wisconsin. They didn't quit.

They were in tough home games to open season:

South Dakota State 28-21
at Fresno State 38-35
Georgia Southern 35-32
At Purdue 38-31

Broke out 40-17 against Illinois finally in B1G opener. This was PJ Frost's third season. Last year, year 4 fell to 3-4 in Big Ten, while 2-7, 3-6, then 7-2 his first 3 seasons.
That Minny season was sooooo lucky.

Have another beer old man...first I said Erstad was going to be better than Van Horn and now I’m a Riley disciple? Hilarious.

Oh and let me know when Frost wins 9 games like Riley did in year two. Frost can barely accumulate that many wins in two years.

So you’re going to compare Riley’s 9 win schedule that year to SF schedule this year😂...I Suggest you quite sniffing your children’s diapers and quite celebrating Biden’s socialist package..

So you’re going to compare Riley’s 9 win schedule that year to SF schedule this year😂...I Suggest you quite sniffing your children’s diapers and quite celebrating Biden’s socialist package..

Where did I make that comparison?

Quite? Eeek, must be rough functioning on a daily basis.

So we have gone from you claiming I stated Erstad would be better than Van Horn(after you cried I bashed him all the time), to I’m a Riley disciple, to now I’m some Biden lover? Keep throwing shit at the wall, eventually something will stick.

Honestly I think the Van Horn years can be replicated. There's a lot of in-state talent. I think we have the right coach that will keep them here

Reactions: Bigred_b1624

You sound rattled. Maybe go take a nap. You can dream of Frost getting to .500 ball.

Sir, I wasn’t referring to you as the disciple of Riley and bigboxes should know I was referring to jlb...

Erstad was the better head coach of any of the other two (Riley and Miles) He still has the only men’s conference title for Nebraska with 3 of the biggest Men’s sports....

I think the game last year would have been much closer if the correct call was made on the first play of the game.

That's the first thing I thought of. Wasn't out first offensive play one of those patented backward swing passes resulting in a turnovers? Got behind right away and played catch up all day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT