ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska vs. Holy Cross (Huskers lose 7-4)

There's no other way to say it. Going 0-2 in this regional is an enormous, epic failure. Embarrassing on dozens of levels.

Reactions: regionsdoc
There's no other way to say it. Going 0-2 in this regional is an enormous, epic failure. Embarrassing on dozens of levels.
And truthfully, not surprising. We've seen this before, and we will continue to see it again as long as Erstad is here. Winning the B1G is the goal, and the only goal. We did that this year, that's the ceiling for an Erstad coached team.

And truthfully, not surprising. We've seen this before, and we will continue to see it again as long as Erstad is here. Winning the B1G is the goal, and the only goal. We did that this year, that's the ceiling for an Erstad coached team.
Which is weird because he always stated the CWS was the goal but has yet to take the steps necessary as a coach and with his assistants.

GOOD: In Nebraska's last four games, it had 38 hits. 9.5 per game.
BAD: That breaks down to 35 singles and 3 solo homers.
UGLY: Nebraska scored 10 runs and lost all four games.

Reactions: saluno22
Well at least it's the offseason now where Erstad is at his best. Not recruiting....but can't wait to hear about how the offense will be fixed and how CWS is in our sights.

Reactions: Sker
Which is weird because he always stated the CWS was the goal but has yet to take the steps necessary as a coach and with his assistants.
To say the goal is just to win the conference regular season and nothing more is just plain stupid. You didn't say it, Robster. Someone else did.

But the NCAA tournament record to date is a dumpster fire. I don't know what needs to change but something's out of whack.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
I'm guessing the NCAA baseball selection committee isn't going to be very kind to us in the years ahead........
Luckily they "supposedly" don't take past history into consideration but you have to think the Big Ten is setting themselves up as contenders or pretenders after a potential mediocre post season after getting 5 teams in.

To say the goal is just to win the conference regular season and nothing more is just plain stupid. You didn't say it, Robster. Someone else did.

But the NCAA tournament record to date is a dumpster fire. I don't know what needs to change but something's out of whack.
Yep, not our job to figure it out but seeing what he does this off season will be interesting because you'd hope this trend is a wake up call at this point.

Luckily they "supposedly" don't take past history into consideration but you have to think the Big Ten is setting themselves up as contenders or pretenders after a potential mediocre post season after getting 5 teams in.
Win 40 games and/or have a 30 or better RPI and there's no worry.

Reactions: RobsterMobster

When you fail miserably in the NCAA tournament year after year and make no moves to fix that, it's clear you don't care about the postseason. It is clear all we care about is winning the B1G. We did that this year, and then gave up.

When you fail miserably in the NCAA tournament year after year and make no moves to fix that, it's clear you don't care about the postseason. It is clear all we care about is winning the B1G. We did that this year, and then gave up.
Which still has a backdoor feeling to me. Don't get me wrong, it's a good accomplishment but winning the BIG isn't anything that shouldn't become a "business as usual" approach for any Nebraska coached team at some point.

After this year it better just be a shake hands type of celebration because at some point we need to set our sights higher.

So you're serious when you say Darin Erstad doesn't care about winning postseason games? You actually thought about that when you typed it?

Failure to achieve a goal doesn't mean you didn't want to achieve it.

So you're serious when you say Darin Erstad doesn't care about winning postseason games? You actually thought about that when you typed it?

Failure to achieve a goal doesn't mean you didn't want to achieve it.
All the hot air and nonsense about making it to Omaha as a goal is meaningless when you crap the bed year after year. Talk is cheap. Results matter. Do I really think they don't care about winning in the postseason? No. I just want to see them act like they care and stop making lame excuses like "that's baseball." But I don't expect any changes to be made, and I expect us to keep failing in regionals year after year(if we even make it there). This year was the ceiling. Enjoy it.

All the hot air and nonsense about making it to Omaha as a goal is meaningless when you crap the bed year after year. Talk is cheap. Results matter. Do I really think they don't care about winning in the postseason? No. I just want to see them act like they care and stop making lame excuses like "that's baseball." But I don't expect any changes to be made, and I expect us to keep failing in regionals year after year(if we even make it there). This year was the ceiling. Enjoy it.
I will say I do have a worry about where the ceiling may truly be. If you look at who we returned this year it is very obvious we underperformed on a national level.

The nice thing is in the Big Ten a few other teams underperformed as well and we won it. Maryland down the stretch being the main one. I'll take it, but it wasn't the feeling of winning it you would have expected based on how it happened.

Let's be honest, depending on where you want to see Husker Baseball may shape how you feel about this season. It is why some are content and others are disappointed.

Agreed that a staff change initiated by the head coach would speak volumes. See Mike Riley. Disagreed that 2017 is the ceiling.

Reactions: donahues17
Honest question for you two, do you see the staff changes happening under Erstad? I don't know if I do but would like to see some changes made

I will say I do have a worry about where the ceiling may truly be. If you look at who we returned this year it is very obvious we underperformed on a national level.

The nice thing is in the Big Ten a few other teams underperformed as well and we won it. Maryland down the stretch being the main one. I'll take it, but it wasn't the feeling of winning it you would have expected based on how it happened.

Let's be honest, depending on where you want to see Husker Baseball may shape how you feel about this season. It is why some are content and others are disappointed.
I would say the season as a whole was satisfying. They overcame a poor start to win Nebraska's first men's Big Ten title in a sport more than a handful of people follow and earned a #2 seed in a regional.

But the finish to the season was highly disappointing. A win vs. Purdue and four losses to very beatable teams leaves a very bad taste.

I would say the season as a whole was satisfying. They overcame a poor start to win Nebraska's first men's Big Ten title in a sport more than a handful of people follow and earned a #2 seed in a regional.

But the finish to the season was highly disappointing. A win vs. Purdue and four losses to very beatable teams leaves a very bad taste.
I agree with this. I'm not going to downplay the B1G championship, because that was a real accomplishment. But the end of the season leaves you feeling like we didn't do as much as we should have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT