ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska to the B1G: 5 Years Ago

Didn't like it 5 years ago, still don't love it 5 years later, but I'm trying. I always wondered if we didn't invent new ways to choke against Texas and we were 8-1 against them instead of 1-8, if we would have left....guess we'll never know.

Shatel had some great commentary on the situation:

The Big Eight is gone. And its spirit is dying, too. When Missouri would willingly leave the same conference as Kansas and former Big Eighters side with the south over Nebraska, it’s clear the old ties are unraveling. The idea that the other Big 12 schools, including the old Big Eight, would stand around and let Texas start its own network over a conference-wide network is particularly appalling.

And the more you look at it, you realize that maybe NU doesn’t have much in common with these old foes anymore.

Has the LHN really been an issue, at all? I remember what an unfair advantage everyone thought it was going to be for Texas, but from where I sit it looks like it hasn't mattered, at all. Not even a little. Am I wrong?

Has the LHN really been an issue, at all? I remember what an unfair advantage everyone thought it was going to be for Texas, but from where I sit it looks like it hasn't mattered, at all. Not even a little. Am I wrong?
For the most part, I think you're right. But at the time we could not have known this. I was in favor of leaving Texas behind, not because of our record against them, but because of their arrogance and taking the show over...

At the time, it was just another jab. Dallas hosting the championship game, the LHN, the 11-1 voting - it just all added up.

At the time, it was just another jab. Dallas hosting the championship game, the LHN, the 11-1 voting - it just all added up.

Also, the Longhorn Network is probably a significant reason why there are B1G, SEC, and Pac-12 networks but no Big XII network. Tough to generate enough content with only 9 schools and not many media markets (especially slim without the eyeballs that UT would draw).

Didn't like it 5 years ago, still don't love it 5 years later, but I'm trying. I always wondered if we didn't invent new ways to choke against Texas and we were 8-1 against them instead of 1-8, if we would have left....guess we'll never know.

Hear hear.. I didn't like it 5 years ago...and like it even less 5 years later. There were 4 teams within a 5 hour drive of Lincoln. Now there is 1. The B1G isn't nearly as fun as hating Missouri, K-State, and Colorado. I don't have any teams to hate. I would go back in a second if we hadn't benefitted academically from joining the B1G. Well, other than that little issue of our supposed conference partners stabbing us in the back during the AAU vote.

Hear hear.. I didn't like it 5 years ago...and like it even less 5 years later. There were 4 teams within a 5 hour drive of Lincoln. Now there is 1. The B1G isn't nearly as fun as hating Missouri, K-State, and Colorado. I don't have any teams to hate. I would go back in a second if we hadn't benefitted academically from joining the B1G. Well, other than that little issue of our supposed conference partners stabbing us in the back during the AAU vote.

Yeah I forgot about that AAU thingy. One of the reasons we left (supposedly) was because everyone kept voting against us, then we run to the B1G, where what happens? Dang I wished you hadn't brought that up, I had managed to block that out. Couldn't agree more about the closer proximity of all the old schools as well.

Oh well, here we are.

I bet I will care a lot less about what conference we are in, if we could ever start winning big again.

Reactions: huskerj12
Yeah I forgot about that AAU thingy. One of the reasons we left (supposedly) was because everyone kept voting against us, then we run to the B1G, where what happens? Dang I wished you hadn't brought that up, I had managed to block that out. Couldn't agree more about the closer proximity of all the old schools as well.

Oh well, here we are.

I bet I will care a lot less about what conference we are in, if we could ever start winning big again.

Didn't like it when it happened (felt like we were taking our ball and going home) and I like it even less now. I can't give a single damn about any of B1G conference brethren. Games are much more meaningless to me now...but that's just me.

If we were more competitive in the B1G we might like it better. The fact we aren't isn't on the B1G, it is on us. Time to step up our game. I like it OK. If we go back to being nationally relevant the conference doesn't really matter. When Texas and OU bolt somewhere and KU, KSU and ISU are left behind, we will be happier we are where we are at.

You do realize that Colorado and Mizzou are both gone from the Big 12.

If we were more competitive in the B1G we might like it better. The fact we aren't isn't on the B1G, it is on us. Time to step up our game. I like it OK. If we go back to being nationally relevant the conference doesn't really matter. When Texas and OU bolt somewhere and KU, KSU and ISU are left behind, we will be happier we are where we are at.

Agree completely. And yes...it's on us. Win the conference or shut up about it.

Question...

Does anyone know if Texas and the Big 12 knew of Nebraska's meeting with Delany 1 week prior to the Big 12 meetings?

Question...

Does anyone know if Texas and the Big 12 knew of Nebraska's meeting with Delany 1 week prior to the Big 12 meetings?
In all likelihood, no. Beebe was not only a tool, but a total moron as well. So, probably not.

My stance is that I wish a more stable and more equal Big 12 had survived. There's no way I would rather be in the current Big 12, but I would rather be in a Big 12 with the same teams that had been there in the past.

So basically, I don't regret leaving but I do wish it had never unraveled.

Reactions: scarletred
My stance is that I wish a more stable and more equal Big 12 had survived. There's no way I would rather be in the current Big 12, but I would rather be in a Big 12 with the same teams that had been there in the past.

So basically, I don't regret leaving but I do wish it had never unraveled.
I miss the Big 8.

Beebe and UT blinked cause they didn't realize we were sitting on a royal flush. Too bad for them.

Right decision then....right decision now.
Agree-and not one time over the last 5 years have I thought we made a mistake or have I wished we were still in the Big 12.. I don't miss them one bit. The only team I miss playing is Oklahoma.

I feel like we have some good games developing between us and Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Not sure if rivalries is the right word but the change of scenery has been nice...

Agree-and not one time over the last 5 years have I thought we made a mistake or have I wished we were still in the Big 12.. I don't miss them one bit. The only team I miss playing is Oklahoma.
I'll admit, I miss playing Mizzou and Colorado because I hated them so much. But they're gone. The Big 12 now is a joke.

you dont hate wisconsin

Wasn't it a phone call that started the ball rolling.

Nebraska-BiG TeN Codex (What REALLY happened was this):

-We got screwed against texass in the b12 game.
-About the same time, Mike Alden of misery was on and on about how meth u had an open invitation for the BiG TeN.
-Charlie Marlow made a post on huskeronline saying that Nebraska should also join the BiG Ten. This post listed about a dozen 'Pros' why this would be a great thing for Nebraska and also stated that he was unable to come up with a single 'Con' to such a move.
-Higher ups caught wind of this post and the wheels were set into motion.
-Nebraska in the BiG TeN.
-Dan booby out of a job.

There is absolutely no way that making the move was a bad idea. I think that some people are still attached to the old Big 8 more than anything. I get it, I miss it too. But it is long gone. Fact is, the big 12 never really worked from day one. For Nebraska, it wasn't the losing. We didn't flee when OU was beating us for years. It was more the feeling that texass would always be playing with a stacked deck. No one likes playing with cheaters. Every other conference director had the philosophy that what is good for the conference is good for each team. Except Dan booby. He legit thought what was good for texass was good for the conference and so therefore ultimately good for the other 11 teams in a trickle-down sort of way.

The move was a good one for Nebraska in so many ways. It is up to us to make the most of it.

Reactions: timnsun
Nebraska-BiG TeN Codex (What REALLY happened was this):

-We got screwed against texass in the b12 game.
-About the same time, Mike Alden of misery was on and on about how meth u had an open invitation for the BiG TeN.
-Charlie Marlow made a post on huskeronline saying that Nebraska should also join the BiG Ten. This post listed about a dozen 'Pros' why this would be a great thing for Nebraska and also stated that he was unable to come up with a single 'Con' to such a move.
-Higher ups caught wind of this post and the wheels were set into motion.
-Nebraska in the BiG TeN.
-Dan booby out of a job.

There is absolutely no way that making the move was a bad idea. I think that some people are still attached to the old Big 8 more than anything. I get it, I miss it too. But it is long gone. Fact is, the big 12 never really worked from day one. For Nebraska, it wasn't the losing. We didn't flee when OU was beating us for years. It was more the feeling that texass would always be playing with a stacked deck. No one likes playing with cheaters. Every other conference director had the philosophy that what is good for the conference is good for each team. Except Dan booby. He legit thought what was good for texass was good for the conference and so therefore ultimately good for the other 11 teams in a trickle-down sort of way.

The move was a good one for Nebraska in so many ways. It is up to us to make the most of it.
Charlie needs a cut of that revenue!

Fantastic article from Sam in the OWH.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_2cc6f044-0fe1-11e5-b86b-335d8975719f.html

This could easily be a 30 for 30. Such a dramatic few months with so many powerful players involved. Such a strange time, looking back.
Sorry, not worthy of a 30 for 30. A team who couldn't compete in one conference who moves to a weaker conference and cannot compete. Do we really need to make a documentary of this slide into irrelevance for the who world to see?

Charlie needs a cut of that revenue!

Well, at least one of my posts was worth a crap!
The_fonz_thumbs_up.jpg

That about says it for me. I miss the old days.

Like many...I hate it. I know that Tom and Harvey despise each other but they were in cahoots over this move. Harvey wanted supposed academic prestige (which was waaaaaayyyyyyy over-played) and dollars. The guy simply doesn't understand football. ("Hmmmmm...I'll vot the for the championship in Dallas so I don't have to sit out in the cold." SERIOUSLY Harvey!) Tom wanted to stick it to folks who kept voting against him. He doesn't forget very easily.

College football is about rivalries and history. None of our games have that now.

Last edited:
Well, other than that little issue of our supposed conference partners stabbing us in the back during the AAU vote.

It took a two-thirds vote of the AAU membership to kick out NU. It's absolutely pathetic that Harvey Perlman couldn't create a coalition of 34% of the other university chancellors.

If we could go back to 1998, and tell everyone that we can move to the Big10, make more $$$, and go to the Big10 Championship Game by just beating up on Wisc, Minn, Iowa, Illinois, NW, Purdue every year...........we would FLIP out!!!! It takes time to develop rivals though, and history between teams. We are the new kid on the team. But the future is bright for the Western Conference, and IF we can somehow get really good again, everything will be nice. Harvey mismanaged the entire process from Solich through Riley and really doesn't care if we ever get a dominant football team again. The academic people won out when we hired Riley, brought in to just stabilize the program and be a father-figure. Hopefully he does more than that, and we see a revival of the dominant Black Shirt mentality on the field.

We are basically in the old Big 8.

Big 8 B1G West
NU = NU
OSU = Illinois
KSU = Minny
KU = Purdue
MU = Wisconsin
CU = Northwestern
ISU = Iowa
OU = B1G East Champ

Reactions: FlintTown
Sorry, not worthy of a 30 for 30. A team who couldn't compete in one conference who moves to a weaker conference and cannot compete. Do we really need to make a documentary of this slide into irrelevance for the who world to see?
I didn't mean have it focus on us. The situation. So yeah, it would be worth it.

I can't believe I just read that whole article. I forgot about some of the things that went on... Chip Brown planting stories for Texas, the Super Conferences rumors, etc. What an interesting era of college football....

ADVERTISEMENT