ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska thoughts from an outsider.

shakes3858

Aug 28, 2009
1. The success of Tom Osborne cannot be repeated because there’s only 1 Tom Osborn. He’s on the College Football Mount Rushmore with Knute Rockne, Bear Bryant, and Pop
Warner.

I get it. Frank Solich had a decent run and wasn’t the guy and Bill Callaghan experiment wasn’t the way to go. So you brought back Pelini, a jerk that one 9-10 games a year, and bailed on him for a nice guy believing Nebraska’s history would be the reason he would succeed. He did epically bad and full rebuild was needed. So you bring back Nebraska’s own undefeated at UCF Scott Frost.

2. There’s a difference between UCF and Nebraska. UCF is in a huge recruiting hot bed. Here’s the states where the most NFL talent comes from.

Florida
212​
Pennsylvania
59​
California
191​
New Jersey
52​
Texas
179​
South Carolina
52​
Georgia
120​
North Carolina
49​
Ohio
82​
Illinois
41​
Alabama
62​
Michigan
40​
Louisiana
59​
Virginia
38​

The South Eastern Coast, Texas/Louisiana and Ohio/Michigan/Pennsylvania area and of course the most populous state of California. It’s not the middle of the country. Why is Ohio State good even when they have an Earl Bruce or John Cooper? Because being the only power 5 team in Ohio so they get 6-10 quality commitments every year from kids growing up in Ohio as OSU fans, and they have a huge network built among high school coaches and influencers.

3. You got rid of your best pipeline. Maybe I’m wrong. I didn’t do the research and Maybe you’re still getting the same number and quality recruit from Texas.... but I don’t see Texas kids growing up wanting to play Big 10 football. I’m thankful for guys like Venric Mark and Paddy Fisher that did... but I think most kids in Texas are thinking Big 12 or SEC

4. It’s 2020. Recruits weren’t even born last time Nebraska was in contention for the national title. As a Northwestern fan that showed up in 2001, I can assure you I know lots of people older than me that love reliving the mid 1990s. It doesn’t help on 2020 that you used to be the best program in the country 25 years ago.

5. Continuity matters. Coaches need to recruit and develop their guys. Coaches need to develop guys to work in their system. There is so much in terms of style of play that even the most knowledgeable fans don’t know. There are a million little things that go into this. Size of lineman, ability of lineman to block in space, ability of lineman to block in a scrum, ability to tandem block, ability to pull. You could have a guard with the best natural ability to pull in the world, but if the coach doesn’t pull guards... who cares.

6. Stability matters. I heard Pelini is done for years before he was fired. Does that help recruiting? Attracting up and coming coaches that the have to consider the whole staff could be gone? Does it help team morale? Does coaching with a “gun” pointed at your head make your a better coach? Bring some stability.

So look, I got it with Mike Riley. He was a mistake. But now you all are pissed at Frost thinking Nebraska is an easy job to succeed. It’s a lot tougher than you think. As a fan of a different Big Ten West team, I say to you please please please fire Scott Frost. If you do, fans from around the Big Ten will celebrate and Nebraska will be further back on their timeline to be a good program.

Last edited:
1. The success of Tom Osborne cannot be repeated because there’s only 1 Tom Osborn. He’s on the College Football Mount Rushmore with Knute Rockne, Bear Bryant, and Pop
Warner.

I get it. Frank Solich had a decent run and wasn’t the guy and Bill Callaghan experiment wasn’t the way to go. So you brought back Pelini, a jerk that one 9-10 games a year, and bailed on him for a nice guy believing Nebraska’s history would be the reason he would succeed. He did epically bad and full rebuild was needed. So you bring back Nebraska’s own undefeated at UCF Scott Frost.

2. There’s a difference between UCF and Nebraska. UCF is in a huge recruiting hot bed. Here’s the states where the most NFL talent comes from.

Florida
212​
Pennsylvania
59​
California
191​
New Jersey
52​
Texas
179​
South Carolina
52​
Georgia
120​
North Carolina
49​
Ohio
82​
Illinois
41​
Alabama
62​
Michigan
40​
Louisiana
59​
Virginia
38​

The South Eastern Coast, Texas/Louisiana and Ohio/Michigan/Pennsylvania area and of course the most populous state of California. It’s not the middle of the country. Why is Ohio State good even when they have an Earl Bruce or John Cooper? Because being the only power 5 team in Ohio so they get 6-10 quality commitments every year from kids growing up in Ohio as OSU fans, and they have a huge network built among high school coaches and influencers.

3. You got rid of your best pipeline. Maybe I’m wrong. I didn’t do the research and Maybe you’re still getting the same number and quality recruit from Texas.... but I don’t see Texas kids growing up wanting to play Big 10 football. I’m thankful for guys like Venric Mark and Paddy Fisher that did... but I think most kids in Texas are thinking Big 12 or SEC

4. It’s 2020. Recruits weren’t even born last time Nebraska was in contention for the national title. As a Northwestern fan that showed up in 2001, I can assure you I know lots of people older than me that love reliving the mid 1990s. It doesn’t help on 2020 that you used to be the best program in the country 25 years ago.

5. Continuity matters. Coaches need to recruit and develop their guys. Coaches need to develop guys to work in their system. There is so much in terms of style of play that even the most knowledgeable fans don’t know. There are a million little things that go into this. Size of lineman, ability of lineman to block in space, ability of lineman to block in a scrum, ability to tandem block, ability to pull. You could have a guard with the best natural ability to pull in the world, but if the coach doesn’t pull guards... who cares.

6. Stability matters. I heard Pelini is done for years before he was fired. Does that help recruiting? Attracting up and coming coaches that the have to consider the whole staff could be gone? Does it help team morale? Does coaching with a “gun” pointed at your head make your a better coach? Bring some stability.

So look, I got it with Mike Riley. He was a mistake. But now you all are pissed at Frost thinking Nebraska is an easy job to succeed. It’s a lot tougher than you think. As a fan of a different Big Ten West team, I say to you please please please fire Scott Frost. If you do, fans from around the Big Ten will celebrate and Nebraska will be further back on their timeline to be a good program.
This is BS, Nebraska is hard to succeed at? They routinely have the best recruiting class in the west...yes under frost, pelini, riley. Quit making excuses, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern don't have to. Look at Indiana...they just did it and didn't have to blame a previous staff

This is BS, Nebraska is hard to succeed at? They routinely have the best recruiting class in the west...yes under frost, pelini, riley. Quit making excuses, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern don't have to. Look at Indiana...they just did it and didn't have to blame a previous staff

Attrition and development is key and this has proven to not be good at either.

Does Nebraska routinely have the best recruiting class because they’re the best recruiting class or does Nebraska routinely have the best recruiting class because you have a giant rabid fan base and Rivals makes lots of money keeping you happy with favorable ratings?

Northwestern wouldn’t win a single game if we went off recruiting ratings.

Look at the map. Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Illinois are in the top 14 states producing NFL talent. Indiana is right in the middle. They may not be getting the top kids, but there are a lot of solid high school programs in the area. How HS programs are in Nebraska? How many are small towns playing 7 on 7? How many in Kansas, Colorado, Iowa, South Dakota?

Does Nebraska routinely have the best recruiting class because they’re the best recruiting class or does Nebraska routinely have the best recruiting class because you have a giant rabid fan base and Rivals makes lots of money keeping you happy with favorable ratings?

Northwestern wouldn’t win a single game if we went off recruiting ratings.

Look at the map. Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Illinois are in the top 14 states producing NFL talent. Indiana is right in the middle. They may not be getting the top kids, but there are a lot of solid high school programs in the area. How HS programs are in Nebraska? How many are small towns playing 7 on 7? How many in Kansas, Colorado, Iowa, South Dakota?
I'll answer your first question and it will answer the rest - yes they actually have better recruiting classes than Iowa, Wisconsin etc. nothing to do with rivals.com bias. They don't have the ability to develop those recruits in many cases (especially in the trenches)

Our recruiting classes revolve around picking up the scraps of the hot beds. Kids with “offers” from elite schools, but the offers usually aren’t committable. They’re backup plans for those schools, but they get 4 stars from the services because 1) they play in the hot beds and 2) they get looks from the elites.

Wisconsin, Iowa, and NW find kids that fit their system and are tough. They don’t have those non-committable offers from Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Bama, Clemson, Florida, so they don’t get rated highly by the services. While those schools will never win a national title, they’re consistently good because they know what works well for them. Their recruits may be rated lower than ours, but they aren’t actually worse IMO.

after we won 3 out of 4 NC's running the ball, then hired solich to play checkers, it was proclaimed that running the ball would not work by upper management.

so we are a passing team forever from this point forward. frost is going to recruit joe montana and swan and stallworth next month. so everything should be a-ok

plus we don't need a offense, our defense should win every game even if they are on the feild most of the game, they have super hero powers

after we won 3 out of 4 NC's running the ball, then hired solich to play checkers, it was proclaimed that running the ball would not work by upper management.

so we are a passing team forever from this point forward. frost is going to recruit joe montana and swan and stallworth next month. so everything should be a-ok
Game isn’t the same as it was in the Redwine days. Too many great athletes who are also tremendous passers.

That’s easily the most optimal way to play the game today. Find me one moderately successful CFB team that passes < 15 times a game.

the same team we shared the same rushing stats with during the 80' & 90's
airforce

Warner.

Florida
212​
Pennsylvania
59​
California
191​
New Jersey
52​
Texas
179​
South Carolina
52​
Georgia
120​
North Carolina
49​
Ohio
82​
Illinois
41​
Alabama
62​
Michigan
40​
Louisiana
59​
Virginia
38​

Not sure I agree with everything you state. Look at the following programs:
Wisconsin successful
Florida St lately unsuccessful
Michigan lately unsuccessful
Indiana lately successful
USC lately unsuccessful
Stanford lately unsuccessful

Not sure I agree with everything you state. Look at the following programs:
Wisconsin successful
Florida St lately unsuccessful
Michigan lately unsuccessful
Indiana lately successful
USC lately unsuccessful
Stanford lately unsuccessful
Florida State has to share recruits with Florida, Miami, a host of non-power 5 schools. There’s really only enough talent to keep two of the 3 power schools in the national title hunt. Florida and Miami are top 10. Georgia is neighboring and has been great too.
Same deal with the Midwest. Right now Ohio State and Notre Dame are pretty dominate with Penn State coming in 3rd (and falling hard). Michigan can’t pick up the game changers. Indiana and Northwestern are great stories picking up kids from good high school programs and playing them as 23 year olds vs Ohio State and Michigan’s 19 year olds.

California has USC, UCLA, Cal and Stanford’s with Oregon on the border sharing recruits. None are really stepping out as the best.

Wisconsin is an anomaly in that they’ve built a reputation as running back and Olineman U. That has been done with stability and continuity since Barry Alvarez got to town. Basically, what I’m saying Nebraska needs.

I'll answer your first question and it will answer the rest - yes they actually have better recruiting classes than Iowa, Wisconsin etc. nothing to do with rivals.com bias.

Not trying to start a fight. Genuinely curious how you qualify this. If the kids Nebraska lands don’t win as many games as Iowa and Wisconsin, lose head to head against them, and don’t go to the NFL at the rate the Hawkeyes and Badgers do, what exactly are they “better” at?

I think back to that 2000 recruiting class of Nebraska’s with Chris Septak, Nick Povendo, MJ Flaum, Ira Cooper, etc. Pretty sure they were a top 25 class on paper, and few amounted to anything on the field. Were they a better class than Iowa and Wisconsin signed that year? (Iowa had 7 guys that spent time in the NFL in its 2000 class, including the 2007 NFL Defensive MVP Bob Sanders. His only other offer was Ohio.)

On what are we basing how good a recruiting class is if not how it actually performs in college?

This PATHETIC piss-ass post getting 16+ likes shows me how many losers with ZERO life lurk on this board...
It's mostly Iowa fans, but even some supposed Husker fans on here seem to enjoy trashing Osborne's reputation.

Shows me that Billy C just needed a better DC, keep John Blake paid well and we wouldn’t be looking from the bottom up!

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
On what are we basing how good a recruiting class is if not how it actually performs in college?
Recruiting rankings are based on high school performance and college potential. How they actually perform in college has to do with player development. How are the schools taking kids and making them better? Turning those 3 and 4 star kids into 4 and 5 stars. We just havent been very good at that for a while.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Shows me that Billy C just needed a better DC, keep John Blake paid well and we wouldn’t be looking from the bottom up!
Sounds like you got it all figured out. The one part of your plan that you are missing is how to continue to stockpile studs when your on probation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT