ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska should go back to the Big 12

I'm sure that BYU would love a big 12 invite, but they are going to have to come down quit a bit on their asking price. Past negotiations didn't go very well.

And Louisville didn't turn down the big 12. They were begging for an invite and the b12 didn't think they were good enough. Major mistake.

TT could maybe make an argument to not leave the Big 12, but there's no way we should go back. CU, MU, and TAMU are all gone, it doesn't really matter to me if the bottom feeder we play is KU and ISU or Iowa and Purdue.

TT could maybe make an argument to not leave the Big 12, but there's no way we should go back. CU, MU, and TAMU are all gone, it doesn't really matter to me if the bottom feeder we play is KU and ISU or Iowa and Purdue.
Yep...We can't go back now to a conference we helped gut. We have to make the most of our situation.

There's no going back. If we want to relive the glory days of the past, we do it by moving forward. Many can argue (perhaps successfully) that the 'N' on our helmet stands for Nostalgia, and everyone clamoring for doing everything the way we did it 30 years ago only justifies that.

At least speaking for myself, I'm happy with the move to the B1G. We traded the Big 12 North for the B1G West, which IMO is a trade up football wise, plus the extra money and academic boost. We didn't exactly put our selves in spot where we couldn't play for conference titles most years.

KSU will in all likelihood be passed onto Snyder Jr. and probably will fall out of respected status right quick. MU never really proved it was "for real" until it hit the SEC. And those were generally the only decent teams on the schedule. I'll take Wisky and Minnesota, and hell, I love smacking Iowa around most years.

I also like teams play some modicum of defense, I'm not sure that I'd enjoy us getting in a 70 point shootout with Baylor every year.

This is really not true.. if Colorado wanted to leave for the Pac 12 over more ties to the west coast, they would have done that years ago. Everyone knew we were leaving, and that's when the others decided to get out. In fact, what happened after we left, with Texas A&M was much more intense than what people realize.
So you are saying in the short time Nebraska and the Big 10 came to an agreement, Colorado not only figured out we were leaving but they secured an invite to the PAC a day earlier than we got an invite to the B1G.

I live in current Big 12 country and based on what is on the radio shows the league is like a rudderless ship. They don't know what they want, can't agree to a direction, and is just a cluster you-know-what.

Reactions: St. Anger
So you are saying in the short time Nebraska and the Big 10 came to an agreement, Colorado not only figured out we were leaving but they secured an invite to the PAC a day earlier than we got an invite to the B1G.

Nice. Always knew those Buffs were sneaky.

The B12 sucked. Golf balls through a garden hose type sucking. It was formed haphazardly and remains quite flawed to this day which is why it doesn't garner national respect of the PAC, BIG, and SEC. (evidence: TCU and Baylor this season)

If it didn't suck, TAMU would still be there. They walked away from 400,000 years of Texas tradition dating back to the Flintstone era to get out of there first chance they had, and there probably isn't a fanbase -- anywhere-- more hung up on tradition than TAMU.

I live in current Big 12 country and based on what is on the radio shows the league is like a rudderless ship. They don't know what they want, can't agree to a direction, and is just a cluster you-know-what.

Agreed. The Big 12 has some decent teams, but they don't even compare to the Big Ten in terms of stability, vision, direction and organization.
Many Big 12 fans and media view Nebraska the way a jilted ex-wife views the former husband she wants back. While he's moved on, and is quite happy with someone else, she's convinced herself that he's still in love with her and not nearly as happy as he was when he was with her. It's time to move on, but she just doesn't want to accept it.

Reactions: BolderHusker
+1. To the TAMU tradition comment. There was no over riding tradition reason for NU to stay. ROFL stomping KU is really No different than doing it to Purdue.

NU tradition died in that region before I was old enough to appreciate it

I always hear the rhetoric that Texas tried to control things. What, specifically did Texas do that was so upsetting.

Moving the Big 12 office from KC? Not that big of a deal
Benefitting from a bad call in the B12 championship game? That sounds like sour grapes and bad calls happen all the time in sports
Prop 48. I can't remember what the hubbub about that was.
Was the money not distributed fairly...IIRC, Nebraska actually benefitted from that.

Were there other examples?

Using only the Big 10 and Big 12 teams, rank the top 5 teams you would want to see NU play. That should help us figure it out.

1. Texas
2. OU
3. Ohio State
4. Colorado
5. Michigan

I always hear the rhetoric that Texas tried to control things. What, specifically did Texas do that was so upsetting.

Moving the Big 12 office from KC? Not that big of a deal
Benefitting from a bad call in the B12 championship game? That sounds like sour grapes and bad calls happen all the time in sports
Prop 48. I can't remember what the hubbub about that was.
Was the money not distributed fairly...IIRC, Nebraska actually benefitted from that.

Were there other examples?
Championship game in Texas every year
The Longhorn Network
Lack of any sort of compromising position on anything
The commissioner literally/physically having a close relationship with Texas over all other Big 12 schools

UT, OU, OSU, UMich, and UW, and heck I'll even thrown in UI. love sticking it to the herks. I like the cross division games with PSU and MSU too.

Championship game in Texas every year
The Longhorn Network
Lack of any sort of compromising position on anything
The commissioner literally/physically having a close relationship with Texas over all other Big 12 schools

None of that stuff bothered me. I never even thought about it. Just like I never thought about how much money NU was making or could be making. It never concerned me, not once. I never sat there at night unable to concentrate on things because I was worried about how much or how little NU was making.

None of that stuff bothered me. I never even thought about it. Just like I never thought about how much money NU was making or could be making. It never concerned me, not once. I never sat there at night unable to concentrate on things because I was worried about how much or how little NU was making.
Hate to break it to you, but money matters. And lack of compromise also matters. Sorry you don't get to see us play Kansas and Iowa State anymore.

Nah, that's called "sarcasm" and I was laying it on pretty thick. Winking

Was that a Tommy Boy reset? Nice work!
Ha!

All I mean is that I just never ever cared, from this fans point of view, none of that stuff ever bothered me. I only care about the games, the drinking, the fun.

Reactions: St. Anger
Was that a Tommy Boy reset? Nice work!
Ha!

All I mean is that I just never ever cared, from this fans point of view, none of that stuff ever bothered me. I only care about the games, the drinking, the fun.
lol, yes it was. And hear you. If only college football were that simple these days.

The Big 12 would be dying even if Nebraska was still in the league. The modern world of College football is driven by TV viewership, eye balls, and the subsequent ad revenue. Live sports broadcasts will be the most profitable TV cash cows going forward. Streaming and DVRs have changed the way advertisers spend their money. But sports broadcasts remain profitable. People don't want to record live games. They want to watch right now. College football has a very significant imprint.

This is problematic for the Big 12. Because they deliver the DFW MetroPlex, and that's it. Houston is a pro city and really belongs to A&M.

OKC? Medium market
KC? The Huskers effect the ratings dial more than KU or Kstate in KC.
Wichita? Small market.
Lubbock?
Waco?
Austin? Medium market
Manhattan?
Toprka?
Salina?
Tulsa?

These markets are the problem for the Big 12. Louisville turned down the league because their boosters didn't think the Big 12 was financially viable going forward.

Texas, the league's most valuable commodity, goes rogue and kills the potential to negotiate a league wide TV network. This all but sealed its doom.

Very Interesting, so OU is getting shafted and definitely would be interested in joining the ACC, SEC, or BIG. Amazing how Rutgers is more valuable than OU to the BIG

But is the B1G's city/area footprint really any better?

#1 NYC
#3 Chicago
Top 20 markets in DC, Cleveland, Philly, Detroit, Twin Cities.
Also has Columbus, Indy, Flint, Cinncinatti, Pittsburgh, Des Moines, and Omaha. Addition of Nebraska also pulls into KC Market. Penn State and Ohio State own New Jersey and New York.

The Big Ten media footprint is much bigger than any other conference. Rutgers was grabbed specifically because of NYC.

Oklahoma is also chained to Oklahoma State for political reasons in the state.

#1 NYC
#3 Chicago
Top 20 markets in DC, Cleveland, Philly, Detroit, Twin Cities.
Also has Columbus, Indy, Flint, Cinncinatti, Pittsburgh, Des Moines, and Omaha. Addition of Nebraska also pulls into KC Market. Penn State and Ohio State own New Jersey and New York.

The Big Ten media footprint is much bigger than any other conference. Rutgers was grabbed specifically because of NYC.

Oklahoma is also chained to Oklahoma State for political reasons in the state.

What evidence is there that OU tied with OSU?

To be honest, I don't think the Big 10 has been good for NU on the field. It's been good financially and to an extent academically, but for various reasons (less recruiting visibility in impact states like Texas, etc) NU hasn't benefited from it on the field. Schools like Minnesota are getting better recruits (partially due to improved visibility) and NU is no longer playing a majority of its conference slate in its recruiting hotbed (Midwest and Texas).

To be honest, I don't think the Big 10 has been good for NU on the field. It's been good financially and to an extent academically, but for various reasons (less recruiting visibility in impact states like Texas, etc) NU hasn't benefited from it on the field. Schools like Minnesota are getting better recruits (partially due to improved visibility) and NU is no longer playing a majority of its conference slate in its recruiting hotbed (Midwest and Texas).

Wrong... Minnesota doesn't have better recruits than Nebraska. They've been pimp slapping a recently departed coaching staff. Mitch Leidner should make Bo Pelini the best man at his wedding.

When you QB, with 4.9 speed is running the zone read for 100+ yards, 11 yards untouched at a time, that's a reflection of coaching scheming and one staff out smarting the other.

Don't get me wrong, Minnesota has brought in some good players. They also built things at the line of scrimmage to handle the Big Ten. But there is no comparison when comparing the 2 rosters.

I would implore anyone to take the 2011, 12, and 13 defenses back to the Big 12. Nebraska would've allowed 420 yards per game.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
You're timing with this post really sucks... If you would have said up until this coach and staff, maybe. Doubtful, but maybe.

But really? Minnesota is getting better recruits? They may have been using their recruits better than us, but they are not getting better recruits.

I can agree that our conference slate has removed us from some of the Midwest, and absolutely Texas, but look at what Riley and Co. is showing with some hard work. Makes you wonder what the previous staff was doing...

We all know Osborne and Perlman screwed up big time in this move. But you can't go back now. Sometimes you just have to make the most of a bad situation.
You heard what Boren of Ok just said. He'll trade you conf in a heartbeat.

Boren should have had these epiphanies 5 years ago. He has singled out LHN as one of the primary destabilizing factors for the Big 12 (while OU's own network is in place). I don't care if we play Purdue five times a year, we should rejoice we landed where we did. Texas is a terrible dance partner. One could argue that the legacy of the Longhorn Network has been to cost the Big 12 revenue, members, prestige, and at least one solid shot at the national championship. To save the Big 12 from it's current state, the little 9 would have to act with one voice. I don't see that happening.

What evidence is there that OU tied with OSU?
I believe the Oklahoma state legislature passed some law that requires the two schools to be in the same conference. I'm not 100% clear on the exact nature of this, so if someone has better info on the details, please let us know.

I love the B1G. And wouldn't want to return to the Big XII. Im not going to lie and say I'm happy about the new division layout. Playing Mich and PSU every year would've been amazing. I understand, just bummed about it.

Reactions: BolderHusker
The Big 10 honeymoon is over for me, but I still wouldn't want to go back to the Big 12.

However, I often wonder if Pelini would still be our coach if he stayed in the Big 12. His defenses are clearly better against passing teams, and he seemed to have us back on the rise in that conference. He came to the Big 12 and got his ass handed to him a few times, and he was a dead man walking.

And yes, I know he was a prick. But we would not have fired a prick with a couple of B12 championships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT