ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska should go back to the Big 12

We all know Osborne and Perlman screwed up big time in this move. But you can't go back now. Sometimes you just have to make the most of a bad situation.

2928543-524906464-Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

To anyone saying they'd like to go back, tell me why. Because I have no idea why you would want to.

To anyone saying they'd like to go back, tell me why. Because I have no idea why you would want to.

Nostalgia is the only reason I can come up with. People act like our downturn was a result of our move, which is ridiculous.

Reactions: St. Anger
Nostalgia is the only reason I can come up with. People act like our downturn was a result of our move, which is ridiculous.
Right. But nostalgia for what, I wonder? They honestly miss playing Baylor? And Texas?

Right. But nostalgia for what, I wonder? They honestly miss playing Baylor? And Texas?
These people have nostalgia for something that will never be there again, and frankly wasn't there when we left. You really can't find hardly anybody who really liked the Big 12-I certainly never heard much positive about it when we were in the conference. But for some people, it's the closest thing to the old Big 8, so they cling to that last bit of nostalgia left. Why people still entertain these thoughts is beyond me-we are in the B1G to stay, so they better get used to it.

Reactions: St. Anger
These people have nostalgia for something that will never be there again, and frankly wasn't there when we left. You really can't find hardly anybody who really liked the Big 12-I certainly never heard much positive about it when we were in the conference. But for some people, it's the closest thing to the old Big 8, so they cling to that last bit of nostalgia left. Why people still entertain these thoughts is beyond me-we are in the B1G to stay, so they better get used to it.
Right. It's like they think 5 years ago, we left the OU rivalry and long-standing history with Mizzou and Colorado. Sorry folks, that's all gone, and been gone.

They have no good reason. The only reason they have, is because they hate change. It's the same reason so many people hated the firing of Solich, Callahan, and Pelini.

The B1G offers stability (the reason we left the Big 12 in the first place), more money, better academics, it's own tv network, etc.
Meanwhile in the Big 12 the Oklahoma is rattling the cage because there is no CCG. Which some people are taking as OU coming out and saying, "fix it, or we're leaving". So yet again, it calls to mind the whole stability issue.

Reactions: BolderHusker
In hindsight, knowing the Big 12 would live, and get a real commissioner I could see sticking around. Long term nearby opponents including some of the longest running series in football.

At the time, with Texas, A&M and Oklahoma halfway out the door, Colorado and Missouri actively looking, we'd have to have been idiots NOT to look around too.

If all those schools had left and the Big 12 had imploded, and the B1G wasn't interested in expansion-- what was our next best realistic landing spot? Nowhere good.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Well the way the contracts are structured, we are basically stuck/screwed/use whatever adjective.. at least before, we kind of had some say so in things and we decided to throw all our media rights to the conference, no easy way to get out, decided we would not partake in the profits for 5 years (who negotiated this mess?) and on top of that, fans have a long way to go for road games.

Culture wise, I don't think we fit the B1G, and never thought we really did either. The B1G is all about Ohio State and Michigan. We belong where we historically belong, and that is in the Big 8/12.

Texas was a major problem toward the end, but our relationship with Texas wasn't always bad either. The Big12 had a inept commissioner and some problems, but I think it would have been wiser to stick around and fix it, rather than just leave.

The only reason the others left, is they knew we were leaving. If we hadn't done that, those others schools would have stuck around, including Colorado, even though they technically left first.

With each major decision in the last 15 years, we get further and further away from what made us successful in the first place.

I hope this year turns out good, cause if it doesn't, people are going to be very upset or worse, apathetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raging_Bull
IMO, the Big 12 needs Nebraska a lot more than Nebraska needs the Big 12. Right now the Big 12 is hurting. Their best teams in football are TCU and Baylor. You can see how much respect they get nationally by how both were left out of the playoffs. Baylor plays one of the worse OOC schedules in the nation. I believe their AD said something like they want to play a power 5 team once every 3 years in their OOC. That's not how you build up your reputation. If they really wanted respect, they should look to play 1 to 2 power 5 teams every year.

Also add in the lack of championship game. If the rules don't change, the Big 12 needs to invite 3 teams to the league in order to meet the criteria for a championship game. Name 3 teams that they could realistically get who would make the league better. I can't think of any. They would more likely be stuck looking to grab BYU and Boise St. I have no clue who they would look for the 3rd.

In the end, Nebraska is in a better place and if the Big 12 doesn't do something to improve their league, like get Oklahoma or Texas to be elite again, their reputation will continue to decline.

Well the way the contracts are structured, we are basically stuck/screwed/use whatever adjective.. at least before, we kind of had some say so in things and we decided to throw all our media rights to the conference, no easy way to get out, decided we would not partake in the profits for 5 years (who negotiated this mess?) and on top of that, fans have a long way to go for road games.

Culture wise, I don't think we fit the B1G, and never thought we really did either. The B1G is all about Ohio State and Michigan. We belong where we historically belong, and that is in the Big 8/12.

Texas was a major problem toward the end, but our relationship with Texas wasn't always bad either. The Big12 had a inept commissioner and some problems, but I think it would have been wiser to stick around and fix it, rather than just leave.

The only reason the others left, is they knew we were leaving. If we hadn't done that, those others schools would have stuck around, including Colorado, even though they technically left first.

With each major decision in the last 15 years, we get further and further away from what made us successful in the first place.

I hope this year turns out good, cause if it doesn't, people are going to be very upset or worse, apathetic.
This is really not true. Colorado was looking to leave to the Pac 12 because they have a lot more ties with the west coast than they did in the midwest. A lot of their alumni go west and their culture is more west coast. You are also ignoring the fact Texas was trying to take the 2 Oklahoma schools and the 4 Texas schools to the Pac.

I lived in Texas at the time, and from what I remember, Texas started the implosion. The Big 12 was like a bad relationship, you don't realize how bad it is until you get out of it.

Now it's all water under the bridge. The only thing I miss is having game(s) in the texas/louisianna recruiting region for visibility. This could easily be solved by utilizing a nonconference slot home-and-away. And personally, unless the revenue is that much different, I don't understand why we are not scheduling our nonconference games to benefit us in recruiting visibility.

This is really not true. Colorado was looking to leave to the Pac 12 because they have a lot more ties with the west coast than they did in the midwest. A lot of their alumni go west and their culture is more west coast. You are also ignoring the fact Texas was trying to take the 2 Oklahoma schools and the 4 Texas schools to the Pac.
This is really not true.. if Colorado wanted to leave for the Pac 12 over more ties to the west coast, they would have done that years ago. Everyone knew we were leaving, and that's when the others decided to get out. In fact, what happened after we left, with Texas A&M was much more intense than what people realize.

Nebraska is so much better off in every aspect . If you honestly wish us back in the Big 12 you're either ignorant or just plain dumb. And once we start pulling in our full share we're gonna be stupid rich with money running down the stairs in North Stadium. My only problem has been how the East/West was split. But this problem was incredibly amplified by Bo's problems. If Riley can succeed like i think he can then potentially problems with the major recruiting footprint being in the East division is greatly reduced imo.

As opposed to Iowa state, Kansas, K state, Missouri and Colorado every year?

Unless you're referring to historical ties with the schools I mentioned, not much difference between either five...
Missouri...won their division in the SEC.
KSU was in the top 10 towards the end of the year.
Colorado ...loved to hate them.

...sorry but there is a difference there.

Reactions: Link-

We lose to Minnesota and Wisconsin now. Lose to Missouri and K State then. What's the difference?

Granted, that will all hopefully change sooner rather than later...

Old Big 8 back together? I'd be open to listening. Big 12? LOL no.

Big 8 wouldn't have the eyeballs to be a viable conference, which is why the big 12 came about in the first place.

People should also know that the big 12 only 'reformed' itself because of our departure. If we stayed, it would still be the dan booby amateur hour.
Goodbye to texass and their stacked deck.

And the big 12 needs 2 teams, not 3. They aren't taking BYU because they have a Notre Dame complex. Cincinnati would likely be one. I've heard no consensus on the other. The reason they haven't been making the move yet is because whatever two schools they add would need to offset the hit each school would take when they divide by 12 and not 10. Maybe other realities will trump that someday. We will see. Oklahoma's Boren just released a big statement how they need to add 2 more schools, so I'm not sure what his endgame is with that. Maybe OU will join the BiG TeN and bring KU with them.

Um...Colorado and Mizzou aren't in the Big 12 dude. Hate to be the one to break that to you.

Big 8 wouldn't have the eyeballs to be a viable conference, which is why the big 12 came about in the first place.

People should also know that the big 12 only 'reformed' itself because of our departure. If we stayed, it would still be the dan booby amateur hour.
Goodbye to texass and their stacked deck.

And the big 12 needs 2 teams, not 3. They aren't taking BYU because they have a Notre Dame complex. Cincinnati would likely be one. I've heard no consensus on the other. The reason they haven't been making the move yet is because whatever two schools they add would need to offset the hit each school would take when they divide by 12 and not 10. Maybe other realities will trump that someday. We will see. Oklahoma's Boren just released a big statement how they need to add 2 more schools, so I'm not sure what his endgame is with that. Maybe OU will join the BiG TeN and bring KU with them.
Sorry, 2 teams not 3. I always forget about West Virginia in the Big 12 now. BYU's coach has come out and said they need to join a power 5 conference within the next 3 years. I get the feeling they would love a Big 12 invite.

We all know Osborne and Perlman screwed up big time in this move. But you can't go back now. Sometimes you just have to make the most of a bad situation.

The Big 12 would be dying even if Nebraska was still in the league. The modern world of College football is driven by TV viewership, eye balls, and the subsequent ad revenue. Live sports broadcasts will be the most profitable TV cash cows going forward. Streaming and DVRs have changed the way advertisers spend their money. But sports broadcasts remain profitable. People don't want to record live games. They want to watch right now. College football has a very significant imprint.

This is problematic for the Big 12. Because they deliver the DFW MetroPlex, and that's it. Houston is a pro city and really belongs to A&M.

OKC? Medium market
KC? The Huskers effect the ratings dial more than KU or Kstate in KC.
Wichita? Small market.
Lubbock?
Waco?
Austin? Medium market
Manhattan?
Toprka?
Salina?
Tulsa?

These markets are the problem for the Big 12. Louisville turned down the league because their boosters didn't think the Big 12 was financially viable going forward.

Texas, the league's most valuable commodity, goes rogue and kills the potential to negotiate a league wide TV network. This all but sealed its doom.

Reactions: timnsun
Right. It's like they think 5 years ago, we left the OU rivalry and long-standing history with Mizzou and Colorado. Sorry folks, that's all gone, and been gone.

I'm 33 and I think the only meaningful game against OU I ever saw that was the Stuntz to Crouch Heisman moment, and perhaps the 9-6 turnover fest where Suh and Co won us the game.

To be quite honest, if one wishes for the Big 12, you'd have to talk more about our mini-rivalry with CU or MU, they had more meaningful games than that in the last so many years.

ADVERTISEMENT