ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska parents to file lawsuit

Don’t be that guy. Semantics and all, cowardly is tantamount to being a coward.

i suppose if you are a shallow enough person to think that a single act - cowardly or otherwise - defines the totality of a person then you are correct

As soon as I clicked on that link and saw that letter was written by Mike Flood I didn't read any further. Mike Flood is a politician to the core and has no ability or intention to represent anyone in court, let alone take on whatever 10th string attorney the B1G assigns to this. This is all about publicity and campaigning for governor once Pete moves on to shoe shine boy for the Cubs. At least they could have got Dave Domina or someone who actually knows where the bathroom is in a courthouse.

Maybe a lawyer or someone with more knowledge on the topic than me can offer more insight. What risk is there for Warren or the B1G if they keep the season canceled but allow individual schools to go independent for the year and make their own schedule? To me this would release the B1G from any legal actions from both sides. It clears them from lawsuits if someone gets Covid and dies because they officially canceled the season the responsibility then falls to the individual schools for choosing to play. It also clears them from any legal action from players, parents or business because they can say. Hey we left it up to the school they are the ones who chose not to play games.
The B1G is losing out on millions anyways with no season so it isn't like letting teams play would have them lose any more money. This just makes no sense except to piss people off.

Maybe a lawyer or someone with more knowledge on the topic than me can offer more insight. What risk is there for Warren or the B1G if they keep the season canceled but allow individual schools to go independent for the year and make their own schedule? To me this would release the B1G from any legal actions from both sides. It clears them from lawsuits if someone gets Covid and dies because they officially canceled the season the responsibility then falls to the individual schools for choosing to play. It also clears them from any legal action from players, parents or business because they can say. Hey we left it up to the school they are the ones who chose not to play games.
The B1G is losing out on millions anyways with no season so it isn't like letting teams play would have them lose any more money. This just makes no sense except to piss people off.
It's not hard to figure out... the schools that don't want to play don't want to look like dipshits when/if other schools play and have no serious issues with COVID. Simple as that.

Reactions: husker2612
It's not hard to figure out... the schools that don't want to play don't want to look like dipshits when/if other schools play and have no serious issues with COVID. Simple as that.
they better hope the world ends before scheduled kickoffs around the country, then.

Reactions: bshirt73
they better hope the world ends before scheduled kickoffs around the country, then.
I was only referring to the question of why the conference won't let schools who want to play go ahead. I want us to play but I'm not going to spend the next 3 months agonizing over it.

i suppose if you are a shallow enough person to think that a single act - cowardly or otherwise - defines the totality of a person then you are correct
So what are your thoughts? You call the McCaffreys hypocrites, but I’ve presented a plausible explanation for why he has chosen this course that doesn’t call for labeling him as being cowardly. Is it that leadership at the other universities he has a connection to isn’t in favor of playing? Could that be? But Nebraska’s leadership is all in and so he isn’t rocking the boat by following this course of action.

You have ignored that and continued to label him as doing cowardly things.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Luke McCaffrey’s parents heading this up. Probably the best set of parents of any of our players to be doing this, at least. I do believe they have some “pull”. Will probably mean nothing in the end but I like the passion and persistence.
They could file papers in an appropriate federal court and obtain immediate, temporary injunctive relief, ie, an order permitting football to proceed, after which a hearing would be held on whether to make the injunctive relief permanent. I haven’t dealt with injunctions in awhile but that would seem the only (speedy) path to playing.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
So what are your thoughts? You call the McCaffreys hypocrites, but I’ve presented a plausible explanation for why he has chosen this course that doesn’t call for labeling him as being cowardly. Is it that leadership at the other universities he has a connection to isn’t in favor of playing? Could that be? But Nebraska’s leadership is all in and so he isn’t rocking the boat by following this course of action.

Mr. and Mrs. McCaffrey provided a statement backing Michigan's treatment of players and their son's choice to play this fall if allowed.

it's abundantly clear he wants to see UNC and each of his sons compete this fall.

Zero chance the BIG sanctions a course of action that, would allow, say, Ohio State to compete in the SEC for a season.

For the same reason most wives don't allow their husbands to date other women.

Ohio State might find out that playing in that conference is

A) awesome
B) lucrative come next TV contract
C) devoid of BS, relatively speaking

It has more to do with the complexity of the media rights than liability. If, say, Nebraska or Ohio St are released to play then there are issues with what kind of media contract can be made on behalf of the conference and how funds are dispersed. Since the contract was collectively bargained for first and 2nd tier rights for the broadcast of every team but now individual teams are canceling or playing how does the conference that negotiated the contract navigate having fewer games than were guaranteed to ABC and Fox? That ends up in a lawsuit against the conference for damages. Say there's only 1 game per week and one broadcaster invokes their 1st tier rights every week, the other broadcaster can sue the conference for breach of contract because they were denied their 2nd tier rights.

Reactions: husker2612
It has more to do with the complexity of the media rights than liability. If, say, Nebraska or Ohio St are released to play then there are issues with what kind of media contract can be made on behalf of the conference and how funds are dispersed. Since the contract was collectively bargained for first and 2nd tier rights for the broadcast of every team but now individual teams are canceling or playing how does the conference that negotiated the contract navigate having fewer games than were guaranteed to ABC and Fox? That ends up in a lawsuit against the conference for damages. Say there's only 1 game per week and one broadcaster invokes their 1st tier rights every week, the other broadcaster can sue the conference for breach of contract because they were denied their 2nd tier rights.
this is a good point and also a good time to point out that it's not a 2-way street.

you can bet the farm that Fox/ABC will immediately fill all previously ordained B1G slots with games actually being played without issue.

has Mr McCaffrey obtained a lawyer to draft a letter with the threat of legal action directed toward the Big Sky Conference?
He is the head football coach at Northern Colorado after all.

I can't imagine how many people on this board are outraged about this hypocrisy between how he is approaching this situation on a micro level (his son) versus the approach with regards to the student-athletes he coaches and represents (the macro level)

I believe another parent in a leadership position that had similar discrepancies between how things were handled was referred to in another thread as ... and I quote ...."a f'cking dickwad"

Wouldn't that be up to the parents of his players. He can voice his opinion as an employee of the school and may have. But what would his grievance as a coach be? I guess if he wasn't getting paid, but I am not sure that would be a similar lawsuit.

Warren stopped other kids from playing and allowed his son to play, Not sure McCaffrey comparison is apples to oranges.

so it is ok to pubicly back a decision by your bosses - which is your job

but be ok or at least not speak out when the leadership of your son make a different - opposite decision

is the same "plausible explanation" going to be offered for Mr Warren?

that doesn't seem to be the overwhelming reaction on the board with regards to Mr Warren - who was hired by the Big ten president/chancellors - wasn't in charge of gathering the medical facts or presenting the medical facts to the big ten presidents/chancellors (that task force was headed by a UNMC faculty member) and didn't have a vote on the ultimate decision - but is charged with publicly communicating and backing the decisions of his up lines

Kevin Warren, in this case, is a meat shield for the university presidents

Last edited:

but be ok or at least not speak out when the leadership of your son make a different - opposite decision

that doesn't seem to be the overwhelming reaction on the board with regards to Mr Warren - who was hired by the Big ten president/chancellors - wasn't in charge of gathering the medical facts or presenting the medical facts to the big ten presidents/chancellors (that task force was headed by a UNMC faculty member) and didn't have a vote on the ultimate decision - but is charged with publicly communicating and backing the decisions of his up lines

couple things:

1.) since when is it in anyone's job description to publicly back their boss's decision?

2.) there are reports Mr Warren did not behave as merely a mouthpiece for the school presidents, instead actively campaigning for a desired outcome

other than that, though, really terrific post, as usual.

Mr McCaffrey

"More importantly, we have complete trust in our child and his ability to determine what is best for him."
- Lisa and Ed McCaffrey

why is the same trust not afforded to Mr Warren when it comes to his son?

Last edited:
Mr McCaffrey

"More importantly, we have complete trust in our child and his ability to determine what is best for him."

why is the same trust not afforded to Mr Warren when it comes to his son?
again, there are reports Mr Warren actively campaigned university presidents to vote against a B1G season, effectively eliminating trust in 10,000 of other people's kids while placing that same trust in his own.

the comparison is a terrible one, as Mr McCaffrey would obviously rather be prepping his team for their season opener, but had zero say in the matter.

if, say, he canceled UNC's season of his own accord and then made the above statement, then you'd have a little more leg to stand on.

of course, that's not at all the case.

Mr. and Mrs. McCaffrey provided a statement backing Michigan's treatment of players and their son's choice to play this fall if allowed.

it's abundantly clear he wants to see UNC and each of his sons compete this fall.
I agree, but that was a letter and nothing more. In Nebraska it is letter that is threatening a possible lawsuit. That’s the difference as I see it.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
again, there are reports Mr Warren actively campaigned university presidents to vote against a B1G season, effectively eliminating trust in 10,000 of other people's kids while placing that same trust in his own.

the comparison is a terrible one, as Mr McCaffrey would obviously rather be prepping his team for their season opener, but had zero say in the matter.

if, say, he canceled UNC's season of his own accord and then made the above statement, then you'd have a little more leg to stand on.

of course, that's not at all the case.

would love to read those reports of Warren's influence

here is a statement that reflects the original conference statement - the most influence came from the medical experts - again headed by a University of Nebraska faculty - a University of Nebraska led task force was the most influential factor in the big ten postponing Fall sports

“The vote by the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C) was overwhelmingly in support of postponing fall sports and will not be revisited,” Warren said in the letter. “The decision was thorough and deliberative, and based on sound feedback, guidance and advice from medical experts.”

would love to read those reports of Warren's influence

here is a statement that reflects the original conference statement - the most influence came from the medical experts - again headed by a University of Nebraska faculty - a University of Nebraska led task force was the most influential factor in the big ten postponing Fall sports

“The vote by the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C) was overwhelmingly in support of postponing fall sports and will not be revisited,” Warren said in the letter. “The decision was thorough and deliberative, and based on sound feedback, guidance and advice from medical experts.”
gee, color me shocked Mr Warren himself doesn't cop to it in his very brave statement.

here you go, as of yesterday:

EfrOKmBXsAAQVTn

EDIT: keep in mind I never said he held 'the most influence', as I'm sure this nit you've placed is one you'll then choose to pick. just that there are reports he played an active role in cancellation instead of merely acting as the mouthpiece of presidents, as you and others have claimed.

Instead of responding with questions, I really want to hear your thoughts on the matter. I don’t care if Warren is afforded the same things or not. You claimed that the McCaffreys were being cowardly. I offered an explanation for why they aren’t.

And your response does nothing but obfuscate. Please respond with your thoughts. Do not muddy the waters more.

Instead of responding with questions, I really want to hear your thoughts on the matter. I don’t care if Warren is afforded the same things or not. You claimed that the McCaffreys were being cowardly. I offered an explanation for why they aren’t.

And your response does nothing but obfuscate. Please respond with your thoughts. Do not muddy the waters more.

so I'm forbidden to respond with questions but instead have been directed to reply to a post that responded with questions that you somehow you feel I'm obligated to answer?

how about don't give quotes and release a statement supporting - no APPLAUDING - the decision of your conference if that isn't how you feel

when asked, he could have simply said he was disappointed in the decision - instead he applauded it

@jlb321,

Step 1. You start by pointing out the hypocrisy of the Mccafreys.

Step 2. I say it isn’t hypocrisy because the leadership at these universities are driving the response. I ask for your thoughts.

Step 3. You ignore.

Step 4. I ask again.

Step 5. You don’t acknowledge my post but instead turn it to Warren not being afforded the same leeway that Ed is being given. Obfuscation.

Step 5. I ask for a response to my scenario. Nothing more.

Step 6. The ball is in your court.

Maybe if you answer my questions without trying to avoid entirely what I suggested as a reason he wasn’t a hypocrite, I’ll answer yours.

Yeah the lawsuit is more about poor leadship and lies then it is about football. This lawsuit could likely lead to exposure of awful leadership which would force the B1Gs hand of terminating Warner.

I can’t wait until we get to read the minutes and see if their was an actual “vote” of if Warner pulled that out of his ass.

Leadership seems to be the issue at Northern Colorado as well. The leadership there is not interested in playing this fall.

What about the leadership at Nebraska? Coaches, players, AD, and president all are in favor of playing this fall. What this tells me is that if the support of the leaders of the university is there, that changes things.

Does this make sense?

To me it is hypocritical to come out with strong statements of support for leadership when, in these 2 instances, the decision (big sky) and the preferred decision (UNL) are entirely opposite.

In one case you are supporting the leadership decision that you actually agree with ... in the other instance you are simply kissing ass

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
@jlb321,

Step 1. You start by pointing out the hypocrisy of the Mccafreys.

Step 2. I say it isn’t hypocrisy because the leadership at these universities are driving the response. I ask for your thoughts.

Step 3. You ignore.

Step 4. I ask again.

Step 5. You don’t acknowledge my post but instead turn it to Warren not being afforded the same leeway that Ed is being given. Obfuscation.

Step 5. I ask for a response to my scenario. Nothing more.

Step 6. The ball is in your court.

Maybe if you answer my questions without trying to avoid entirely what I suggested as a reason he wasn’t a hypocrite, I’ll answer yours.

His inability to answer your questions reminds me of a certain AD.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I don't know anything more than anyone else but my understanding of what Clay Travis said was he expects parents at OSU and Iowa to do the same. And that someone could eventually be successful. I'm no lawyer but I would think you file it with multiple judges and hope one rules in your favor. So you file in multiple states. Sounds reasonable to me. Worst case scenario is you at least make Warren come out of his house and properly communicate like a conference commissioner should.

They could file papers in an appropriate federal court and obtain immediate, temporary injunctive relief, ie, an order permitting football to proceed, after which a hearing would be held on whether to make the injunctive relief permanent. I haven’t dealt with injunctions in awhile but that would seem the only (speedy) path to playing.

An injunction generally preserves the status quo until trial. But you have to have a basis for the lawsuit before an injunction is issued. The primary factor considered for granting an injunction is the likelihood of success on the merits. But what is the successful outcome that the parents are seeking? It seems that the only thing they asking for a the equivalent of a FOIA lawsuit. So an injunction would simply preserve documents. If they are seeking to go beyond that and demand that a fall season take place, I can't see the legal basis of a lawsuit, let alone the likelihood of success on the merits. I very well may be missing something here, so if someone knows more about any sort of contractual basis for a potential lawsuit, I'd like to hear it.

Reactions: JDskibum
Head coaches didn’t get a vote. Your point is moot, and your thought process is wrong... per usual.

head coaches shouldn’t get a vote. They don’t run the university do they?

And why are we fighting so hard just to be 4-8 or 5-7. Let it be. Keep stealing “never was” walk-ons for IA - that should get us to 6-6 one day.

I don't know anything more than anyone else but my understanding of what Clay Travis said was he expects parents at OSU and Iowa to do the same. And that someone could eventually be successful. I'm no lawyer but I would think you file it with multiple judges and hope one rules in your favor. So you file in multiple states. Sounds reasonable to me. Worst case scenario is you at least make Warren come out of his house and properly communicate like a conference commissioner should.

This is over - litigation won’t prevail. Lighting dollars on fire but since most Neb and IA folks are farmers, I’m sure the federal govt handout checks will cover the cost.

Reactions: Wordyginters
head coaches shouldn’t get a vote. They don’t run the university do they?

And why are we fighting so hard just to be 4-8 or 5-7. Let it be. Keep stealing “never was” walk-ons for IA - that should get us to 6-6 one day.
Why create a screen name to pretend to be a husker fan? You obviously are an Iowa fan, even talking about how Oliver Martin is a good kid... only hear that from Iowa fans. At least be like other Iowa fans who post here and use their Iowa screen name.

You are terrible.

This is over - litigation won’t prevail. Lighting dollars on fire but since most Neb and IA folks are farmers, I’m sure the federal govt handout checks will cover the cost.

Excellent point. These parents should be ashamed. Completely myopic. As is the coach, and apparently, many fans. To those of us in the real world, the histrionics range from hilarious to sad. Unbelievably tone deaf self pity. Moos is under some pressure to placate parents and players, and probably some goofball donors. Its an embarrassment.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
Excellent point. These parents should be ashamed. Completely myopic. As is the coach, and apparently, many fans. To those of us in the real world, the histrionics range from hilarious to sad. Unbelievably tone deaf self pity. Moos is under some pressure to placate parents and players, and probably some goofball donors. Its an embarrassment.

Like canceling open air sporting events for students in super human physical condition, at the same time opening cla$$e$ for the herd of pot smoking children in an enclosed space?

has Mr McCaffrey obtained a lawyer to draft a letter with the threat of legal action directed toward the Big Sky Conference?
He is the head football coach at Northern Colorado after all.

I can't imagine how many people on this board are outraged about this hypocrisy between how he is approaching this situation on a micro level (his son) versus the approach with regards to the student-athletes he coaches and represents (the macro level)

I believe another parent in a leadership position that had similar discrepancies between how things were handled was referred to in another thread as ... and I quote ...."a f'cking dickwad"

If you were going to file a lawsuit to try and force a season, where are you going to get the most support? UNC and the families of their team and the 3000 people that attend their games (just making that up). In a state that doesn't show any support for their college programs? Or a state with a rabid fanbase, the BIG money being lost and national following?

Coming out supporting the decision in the Big Sky may also be the result of being told how the decision was arrived at for the conference. Fighting for his son (micro level) on a national stage can set the precedent for his program and conference (macro level). No hypocrisy there whatsoever. Good game planning.

ADVERTISEMENT