ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska O-Line

It is true that we have not had this much talent and potential talent on our offensive line in years. But that isn't saying much given our shitty our lines have been for years. I remain in the "wait and see" mode since I am no longer drinking even a sip of the damn koolaid. Frost and his staff have to prove to me that they can coach these kids up and turn them into winners before I am jumping on any bandwagons. Case in point: Cam Jurgens. He may damn well be the second coming of Dave Rimington and he showed great improvement as the season went on last year. But he still remains in the "potential talent" category in my book. I need to see him make that jump to the next level before I get excited about anything.

Missing Spring practice really hurt this team. I hope we get those practices back somehow. Because guys like Jurgens still need those extra reps.

I will be thrilled if we go 6-6 this year. We are super thin at wide out and running back, very green on the defensive line, still unproven at linebacker, and a QB who needs to improve over last year's disappointment. So in many ways the offensive line had better be what the OP hopes it is. Because we are going to need to lean heavily on the returning talent on the offensive line and defensive backfield to carry this team in my view.
Question, define "next level"? I wonder how many different definitions of this there are

You are more optimistic than I am, but I think your analysis is essentially correct. I am officially a pessimist with regard to Nebraska football until the team proves me wrong. It is just a defensive mechanism on my part. I actually care too much for NU football and every year (of late) they break my heart. So I am determined to enter this season with lowered expectations, but hoping to be surprised.
Hey man, be pessimistic, I'm only saying this to you because I think finally, that switch has been flipped, and we have more guys, and better athletes,also,the body types that are what everyone wants today,long and tall, only slightly heavier, but much more mobile, where reach blocks are more easily made.

I'm all in on Austin, dont think SF is the only guy do or die guy on this staff.
Cananaughs attitude was good, but the hooplah, being in the fishbowl Thats Husker ball,had its effects,distractions on him.
Austin knows,expects it, his focus is much much sharper, its business as usual, and is using it as a tool.
I remember a O lineman coming off the field saying, yeah,we suck.
That ain't happening under Austin

1. You aren’t exactly going out on a limb about best since 2013.

2. Those dudes might make a team and hang around(hell I think Zach Sterup is still on a team), but they ain’t getting drafted.
All Jaimes needs to do is maybe beef up a tad. Otherwise he is a draft pick. Farniok? Surprised me Cornicator thinks he's NFL material even at guard.

Why does Sterup surprise you still getting some coffee in the league? Dude is physically gifted as F from what I remember. Didnt live up to his potential here, but maybe it just finally clicked for him.

All Jaimes needs to do is maybe beef up a tad. Otherwise he is a draft pick. Farniok? Surprised me Cornicator thinks he's NFL material even at guard.

Why does Sterup surprise you still getting some coffee in the league? Dude is physically gifted as F from what I remember. Didnt live up to his potential here, but maybe it just finally clicked for him.
He was hurt, then moved around to help out the team, from side to side, different techniques etc.

He took care of business while learning new spots and coming off injury.

1. You aren’t exactly going out on a limb about best since 2013.

2. Those dudes might make a team and hang around(hell I think Zach Sterup is still on a team), but they ain’t getting drafted.

Why you refuse to give Jaimes credit is beyond me. Are you purposely ignoring everyone when they point out how Jaimes graded out as one of the best tackles in the BIG 10? That’s equal to or better then Iowa’s, OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin and/or PSUs OTs. Yes, our Oline has been bad the years before, agreed. But B Jaimes is legit and he will most definitely get drafted...maybe even Farniok as a Guard. If you refuse to believe in our guys, then that’s one you. You are one of the rare ones that think that.

I guess I mean by "next level" having the effectiveness of a true NFL All American caliber center. I think it means playing like Rimington and Graham and Taylor and Raiola.
I mean this in no smart ass tone I promise, but do you genuinely expect Cam Jurgens to look like an NFL caliber All-American Center as R/S Soph, or you'll be disappointed? Like those guys listed above, in his second season at the position, basically without a spring ball now?

I mean this in no smart ass tone I promise, but do you genuinely expect Cam Jurgens to look like an NFL caliber All-American Center as R/S Soph, or you'll be disappointed? Like those guys listed above, in his second season at the position, basically without a spring ball now?
No, I don't, which was my point. The OP is pushing the idea that Jurgens is NFL caliber. I see that as premature. He has shown zero reason to support such an assessment up to now and much of that has to do with his youth. I think a lot of the hype surrounding him is grounded in Frost's high praise for his raw talent. And since I think Frost has an eye for talent I think the OP is correct to be optimistic for the future. However.... my point is that it is all still too unproven. We won't know if he has that kind of talent until late this year or next. So I think any speculation about his potential as an NFL caliber center has to be shelved for now.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
No, I don't, which was my point. The OP is pushing the idea that Jurgens is NFL caliber. I see that as premature. He has shown zero reason to support such an assessment up to now and much of that has to do with his youth. I think a lot of the hype surrounding him is grounded in Frost's high praise for his raw talent. And since I think Frost has an eye for talent I think the OP is correct to be optimistic for the future. However.... my point is that it is all still too unproven. We won't know if he has that kind of talent until late this year or next. So I think any speculation about his potential as an NFL caliber center has to be shelved for now.
Okay. Understood, just making sure. I was going to say I like where the bar is at obviously but that sure escalated quickly.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

This. Perhaps, maybe, possibly we could start with making some all league teams and getting some recognition for actually doing something before we start cashing the NFL checks.

I could be wealthy for every Husker that someone predicted would be drafted in the NFL and did not.

During the season I would go back and watch game film and run plays several times and watch each lineman to see what they did. Takes a long time to watch, but it really tells the truth, not perception. I remember a couple of plays in particular against Maryland where Mills broke them for big yardage and there was hardly a single true block made. Bad angles and good cuts plus getting in the way was helpful, not great blocking. Just because a play goes for big yards, doesn't mean there was great blocking all of the time.

Well last time I made a bet on this site I never saw a dime out of a $50 winner, that I even offered to let the guy out of multiple times. Not sure I’m excited about another, but what is your plan? I know there is zero chance farniok gets drafted, but there is an outside chance that Jaimes gets drafted if he commits to being more of a speed bump this year than the turnstile he was last year.

Not sure we watched the same Jamies at all. I am not sold on Farrniok yet. I know gaurd is his best position but until i see NFL calibur play from him i wont agree with him being an NFL guy.

Holla

Reactions: dinglefritz
Not sure we watched the same Jamies at all. I am not sold on Farrniok yet. I know gaurd is his best position but until i see NFL calibur play from him i wont agree with him being an NFL guy.

Holla
Personally I think Farniok is soft

You'll get no argument from me. I point out, it was year one at a position he's never played,in a room where true freshmen rarely play.
My point still stands, we just have double the guys we used to have,which by itself is good news, but yes, they need to prove it.
Watching others start, shows improvement was happening elsewhere too. Bando was looking good, came out of nowhere, Bryce looked good for a frosh. My point here is, guys are developing, and are as advertised.

But you nailed it, our D backfield and O line are critical until our young LBs come around and our wrs gel with our qb. But the run game looked very good, and should be better this year.
Finished top four, we should be third this year.

Well stated sir! However, for me, a really improved OLine is easily the #1 priority we so desperately need. And as you & others mentioned they really did improve tremendously for the last five or so games.

They should be a real-deal asset for us this year.

Reactions: huntered
You are more optimistic than I am, but I think your analysis is essentially correct. I am officially a pessimist with regard to Nebraska football until the team proves me wrong. It is just a defensive mechanism on my part. I actually care too much for NU football and every year (of late) they break my heart. So I am determined to enter this season with lowered expectations, but hoping to be surprised.

The OLine should have you slamming down Jim Beam all day long. You'll love it Penny!

Well stated sir! However, for me, a really improved OLine is easily the #1 priority we so desperately need. And as you & others mentioned they really did improve tremendously for the last five or so games.

They should be a real-deal asset for us this year.

Man it’s just going to be nice having our Oline as a strength from here on out compared to a weakness. Frost and Austin has recruited the Oline hard and they have landed some big time talent the past few years (and still going strong now). Our olines will be every bit as good as Wisconsin and Iowa’s in the west from here on out. GBR

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
Which is unfortunate because his older brother, Tom, was tough as nails at Iowa State when he started at Center there(All Conference).
I had no idea there was an older one. But you're right, that's worse.

Matt Farniok isn’t soft. He’s a dam Guard playing Tackle. We will see a completely different Farniok when he’s in between Jaimes and Jurgens. He only played tackle because we didn’t have the talent there before the past few years. That’s changed in a hurry thank God.

Reactions: huntered
Why you refuse to give Jaimes credit is beyond me. Are you purposely ignoring everyone when they point out how Jaimes graded out as one of the best tackles in the BIG 10? That’s equal to or better then Iowa’s, OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin and/or PSUs OTs. Yes, our Oline has been bad the years before, agreed. But B Jaimes is legit and he will most definitely get drafted...maybe even Farniok as a Guard. If you refuse to believe in our guys, then that’s one you. You are one of the rare ones that think that.
We are finding out, facts are secondary to opinion.
Kick me if I'm doing that

Reactions: huskerssalts
Man it’s just going to be nice having our Oline as a strength from here on out compared to a weakness. Frost and Austin has recruited the Oline hard and they have landed some big time talent the past few years (and still going strong now). Our olines will be every bit as good as Wisconsin and Iowa’s in the west from here on out. GBR
Name another position besides possibly qb, where we have gotten our top of thr board guy?

The love the idea of this line up...

B Jaimes, M Farniok, C Jurgens, B Wilson, B Benhart

or

B Jaimes, M Farniok, C Jurgens, N Nouili , B Benhart

or

B Jaimes, M Farniok, C Jurgens, E Piper, B Benhart

or

B Jaimes, M Farniok, C Jurgens, T Corcoran, B Benhart

Name another position besides possibly qb, where we have gotten our top of thr board guy?

No clue what you’re asking here. We have landed our top OLine targets back to back years. Outside that, none of us have clue who’s truly our staffs top choices at each position. But the Oline has been loaded up the past 2 recruiting classes. Hell Z Betts and O Manning at WRs? Thomas Fidone at TE this year when he finally commits. We have landed some top tier talent the pst few recruiting classes.

being fair here, unless you are Bama, OSU, LSU and those top few teams we all don’t land the top choices....

No clue what you’re asking here. We have landed our top OLine targets back to back years. Outside that, none of us have clue who’s truly our staffs top choices at each position. But the Oline has been loaded up the past 2 recruiting classes. Hell Z Betts and O Manning at WRs? Thomas Fidone at TE this year when he finally commits. We have landed some top tier talent the pst few recruiting classes.
Teddy P is lined up for next year, the kid from Omaha is next.
Granted, close to, or home talent has played into this, but, our best lines were mostly home growns.

being fair here, unless you are Bama, OSU, LSU and those top few teams we all don’t land the top choices....
You see early offers, early follow up is usually the tell. There's admittedly 1a and 1b guys, but they haven't gone 2a yet.

Teddy P is lined up for next year, the kid from Omaha is next.
Granted, close to, or home talent has played into this, but, our best lines were mostly home growns.

yep, Turner Corcoran, Bryce Benhart, Teddy Prochazka, DeShawn Woods (another Top 100 OLinemen) next class...we have been landing the top OLinemen in the 500 mile radius. We need to keep locking them down too.

We werent doing that, the guys who went to iowa states lil bro, that sucked.

agreed there. I love the way Austin and Frost has locked down the 500 mile talents. At least at OL.

Wow, Devon Jackson (another Top Nebraska talent and a Top 25 player in the country and the Top OLB on 24/7) didn’t crack Rivals Top 100? I’m more then shocked.

Last edited:
agreed there. I love the way Austin and Frost has locked down the 500 mile talents. At least at OL.
We used to go out and get alot of great d backs, we are again with Coach Fish. Losing any local kids just aren't Huskers at heart in these two positions, but we need to expand that, like TO did, get those LBs, those D linemen.
We shopped rbs, qbs alot under TO, and will likely continue to. Wiscy obviously stole our ways, they usually get their O linemen close to home, and a good mix at D line, just like TO did, but their rbs are shopped.

Wrs too, theyre shopped as well.

We used to go out and get alot of great d backs, we are again with Coach Fish. Losing any local kids just aren't Huskers at heart in these two positions, but we need to expand that, like TO did, get those LBs, those D linemen.
We shopped rbs, qbs alot under TO, and will likely continue to. Wiscy obviously stole our ways, they usually get their O linemen close to home, and a good mix at D line, just like TO did, but their rbs are shopped.

Wrs too, theyre shopped as well.

well I don’t mind getting those Florida DBs and WRs to be honest. And we have actually started cracking down on LBs. We got Randolph Kpai for next year and he’s a Top 100 talent on 24/7 and a good chance to land Devon Jackson as well (a Top 25 player on 24/7). We are doing much better then we have in the past.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
well I don’t mind getting those Florida DBs and WRs to be honest. And we have actually started cracking down on LBs. We got Randolph Kpai for next year and he’s a Top 100 talent on 24/7 and a good chance to land Devon Jackson as well (a Top 25 player on 24/7). We are doing much better then we have in the past.
Need more D line guys. The kid who went to Stanford,forget his name, the other who went to wiscy, possibly both might have come here with this staff now.
So, we are down, or have been down one, these guys are must haves. You get them, add in a Ty Rob, a grad transfer like Darrion, or a great juco, possibly like Green, eyes will open up.

Need more D line guys. The kid who went to Stanford,forget his name, the other who went to wiscy, possibly both might have come here with this staff now.
So, we are down, or have been down one, these guys are must haves. You get them, add in a Ty Rob, a grad transfer like Darrion, or a great juco, possibly like Green, eyes will open up.

well we did land N Hutmacher and M Black in this years class. Plus a couple big time DT/DEs in J Riley and P Payne from the JUCO ranks. We are actually pretty loaded on the Dline. LB was the area we kept missing up till recently. We are finally getting the talent needed to compete for BIG 10 titles.

Matt Farniok isn’t soft. He’s a dam Guard playing Tackle. We will see a completely different Farniok when he’s in between Jaimes and Jurgens. He only played tackle because we didn’t have the talent there before the past few years. That’s changed in a hurry thank God.
I think he's soft. I also think Trent Hixson is soft.

well we did land N Hutmacher and M Black in this years class. Plus a couple big time DT/DEs in J Riley and P Payne from the JUCO ranks. We are actually pretty loaded on the Dline. LB was the area we kept missing up till recently. We are finally getting the talent needed to compete for BIG 10 titles.
Riley, looks like a keeper

So do you understand my ways?

ADVERTISEMENT