ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska O-Line

Yes. jurgens and Jaimes for sure will both play in the NFL.

Jaimes might end up the kind of kid that floats around between practice squads and active rosters but should make it to the NFL

I fully expect Cam to be a starter in the NFL.

Benheart and Cococran were very highly recruited so they very well could develop into NFL players

Hard to say right now but to compare, are they better than the last two that graduated and didn't get a sniff?

Yes. jurgens and Jaimes for sure will both play in the NFL.

Jaimes might end up the kind of kid that floats around between practice squads and active rosters but should make it to the NFL

I fully expect Cam to be a starter in the NFL.

Benheart and Cococran were very highly recruited so they very well could develop into NFL players

bold take

We keep playing the same semantics game of "could", "they are young", "unproven", "potential", and "highly ranked/recruited".

And pennsy, I am with you on your last statement.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Nick Gates...
A lazy less gifted Jaimes. Jaimes actually has better feet too.
If Farniok steps it up, he may make a team, if he really steps it up, possibly a starter someday.
Jurgens, too young, obviuosly raw. But the potentially highest ceiling other than several of the youngins.

Reactions: BleedRed78
A lazy less gifted Jaimes. Jaimes actually has better feet too.
If Farniok steps it up, he may make a team, if he really steps it up, possibly a starter someday.
Jurgens, too young, obviuosly raw. But the potentially highest ceiling other than several of the youngins.

Cam could play guard. It's just that Nebraska needs a center.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Is there NFL talent on our current roster?

Matt Farniok as a Guard and B Jaimes could both get drafted. Here’s what they say about Jaimes...”His solid play in 2019 was overshadowed by NU's 5-7 record. Jaimes had the 5th best pass-block grade for All-Big Ten linemen, and the second-best pass-block grade for all Big Ten tackles with a mark of 87.2 according to PFF College. He allowed just two sacks and six quarterback hurries on the season, which ranked fourth in terms of allowed pressures for Big Ten offensive tackles.” B Jaimes talent gets over looked due to bad Oline play early on last season and the season before. Jaimes is a legit OT. So B. Jaimes for sure and M Farniok if he does good as a Guard like he should.

Now counting the younger players, Cam Jurgens, Bryce Benhart, Turner Corcoran and Teddy Prochazka should all be legit Olinemen and have the potential to be first day draft picks. I wouldn’t be surprised if E Piper and B Banks are as good too. So yes, we have several NFL talents on the Oline. No doubt about it.

Last edited:
Matt Farniok as a Guard and B Jaimes could both get drafted. Here’s what they say about Jaimes...”His solid play in 2019 was overshadowed by NU's 5-7 record. Jaimes had the 5th best pass-block grade for All-Big Ten linemen, and the second-best pass-block grade for all Big Ten tackles with a mark of 87.2 according to PFF College. He allowed just two sacks and six quarterback hurries on the season, which ranked fourth in terms of allowed pressures for Big Ten offensive tackles.” B Jaimes talent gets over looked due to bad Oline play early on last season the season before. Jaimes is a legit OT. So B Jaimes for sure and M Farniok if he does good as a Guard like he should.

Now counting the younger players, Cam Jurgens, Bryce Benhart, Turner Corcoran and Teddy Prochazka should all be legit Olinemen and have the potential to be first day draft picks. I wouldn’t be surprised if E Piper and B Banks could be as good too.
You could reach with bryce and even teddy p and turner. Theres two or three others too. All reaches, but yes,the potentials there.
Now, if all these guys hit, plus one or two currently on roster, we are completely back, but injuries, celings etc are the big changers in these projections.
But, one things for sure, guys like Conn and Lynn and Miller and Sichterman and others are a step up, and if they dont start, who beats these guys will be very good.
We have a whole new level imo at O line, and a ton more of depth.
Im also not mentioning Piper,Fritzsche etc.

Pro? Yes, on this team, no doubt.

You could reach with bryce and even teddy p and turner. Theres two or three others too. All reaches, but yes,the potentials there.
Now, if all these guys hit, plus one or two currently on roster, we are completely back, but injuries, celings etc are the big changers in these projections.
But, one things for sure, guys like Conn and Lynn and Miller and Sichterman and others are a step up, and if they dont start, who beats these guys will be very good.
We have a whole new level imo at O line, and a ton more of depth.
Im also not mentioning Piper,Fritzsche etc.

Pro? Yes, on this team, no doubt.

Cam Jurgens is legit himself. Sure he was hit and miss early on with high snaps but he got that under control as the season went on and I’m whiling to bet we don’t see that issue again going forward. As a blocker and leader on the Oline, he’s good now and will only get better. We have to remember, last year was the first time he’s ever played a down on the Oline and he was big time under weight and sized and still held his own. He’s going to be a very good one by the time he plays his senior year and goes pro.

Cam Jurgens is legit himself. Sure he was hit and miss early on with high snaps but he got that under control as the season went on and I’m whiling to bet we don’t see that issue again going forward. As a blocker and leader on the Oline, he’s good now and will only get better. We have to remember, last year was the first time he’s ever played a down on the Oline and he was big time under weight and sized and still held his own. He’s going to be a very good one by the time he plays his senior year and goes pro.
All true, but whats nice is, he's still raw. He will only get much better.
I wonder why people have or had a hard time seeing this? Maybe it's because we haven't seen much development in a long long time.
We've had individuals,always have,that put it on themselves,but unlike the above poster, I see Austin as a developer, just another reason to think SF was right, CJ has very high potential.

Reactions: huskerssalts
All true, but whats nice is, he's still raw. He will only get much better.
I wonder why people have or had a hard time seeing this? Maybe it's because we haven't seen much development in a long long time.
We've had individuals,always have,that put it on themselves,but unlike the above poster, I see Austin as a developer, just another reason to think SF was right, CJ has very high potential.

so do I I. Last years Oline was horrible to start off and look how they finished the year...Ranked 3rd in the BIG 10 in rushing (just under Wisconsin and OSU). Greg Austin is great at player development. Agreed, I think they got so used to not having the player development with the previous staffs that they now just assume it’s the same now with this staff. Definitely not so...

I think it'll be deeper, and consistently so, than our D line last year,where we did the unthinkable, redshirted a juco

well honestly I don’t mind seeing us redshirting Keem Green. Dudes a legit talent that all the SEC teams wanted and went after. That’s says a lot in itself. I think the biggest reason why he was redshirted was how late he was to fall camps and how out of shape he was too. Two, we where loaded on the Dline last year. We could afford to redshirt him and give him 2 full solid years of production.

I don't really care to participate in this argument, but collectively, the 2020 offensive line (if there is a season) will be the best unit Nebraska has trotted out onto the field since 2013 before Spencer Long's injury. That group included Long, Sirles, Qvale, and experienced upperclassmen like Cole Pensick, Andrew Rodriguez, and Jake Cotton.

And for the record, I believe Jaimes and Farniok will both play Guard at the next level.

NFL potential? Yes.

NFL talent shown on the field? Not yet.

I think Cam can end up being the best of the bunch, but I still worry about him staying healthy. I do think we’re picking up the right guys, now it’s developing that talent.

NFL potential? Yes.

NFL talent shown on the field? Not yet.

I think Cam can end up being the best of the bunch, but I still worry about him staying healthy. I do think we’re picking up the right guys, now it’s developing that talent.
I was honestly shocked he made it through the season. Hopefully the injury bug is behind him and he can put together a long, continuous stretch of healthy development.

I don't really care to participate in this argument, but collectively, the 2020 offensive line (if there is a season) will be the best unit Nebraska has trotted out onto the field since 2013 before Spencer Long's injury. That group included Long, Sirles, Qvale, and experienced upperclassmen like Cole Pensick, Andrew Rodriguez, and Jake Cotton.

And for the record, I believe Jaimes and Farniok will both play Guard at the next level.

I could definitely see that. I honestly see both getting drafted. Jaimes is one of the best OTs in the BIG 10 and Farniok is more suited for the Guard position...he should thrive there.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard

That 2013 squad was loaded and that Offense was advertised by the University as Scoring Explosion II, what bad luck that team had. 1st TM goes down and then all of the injuries to the OL starting with long. Oh what could've been but alas here we are 7 years later.

Not to derail from the original purpose of the thread, but I am excited to see what Piper and the German kid bring at OG. Sounds like both have the athleticism we have lacked on the OL for a long time.

1. You aren’t exactly going out on a limb about best since 2013.

2. Those dudes might make a team and hang around(hell I think Zach Sterup is still on a team), but they ain’t getting drafted.

1. You aren’t exactly going out on a limb about best since 2013.

2. Those dudes might make a team and hang around(hell I think Zach Sterup is still on a team), but they ain’t getting drafted.
Jaimes will be drafted and will be a starter for whatever team drafts him and that can easily be taken to the bank and put your money where yore mouth is!

Jaimes will be drafted and will be a starter for whatever team drafts him and that can easily be taken to the bank and put your money where yore mouth is!

Well last time I made a bet on this site I never saw a dime out of a $50 winner, that I even offered to let the guy out of multiple times. Not sure I’m excited about another, but what is your plan? I know there is zero chance farniok gets drafted, but there is an outside chance that Jaimes gets drafted if he commits to being more of a speed bump this year than the turnstile he was last year.

Reactions: huntered
Well last time I made a bet on this site I never saw a dime out of a $50 winner, that I even offered to let the guy out of multiple times. Not sure I’m excited about another, but what is your plan? I know there is zero chance farniok gets drafted, but there is an outside chance that Jaimes gets drafted if he commits to being more of a speed bump this year than the turnstile he was last year.
Name the last time we had this much talent? We started a walkon and someone new to the O line, finished fourth in rushing in the Big. Guess you love passing? Oh, and Jaimes finished top four in all categories ir higher in the Big.

History shows, if you finish top two in the all Big team, you get drafted,sometimes even top three.
Thats three deep, meaning fifteen guys.
Jaimes is grading out top four, not sixteenth.

Name the last time we had this much talent? We started a walkon and someone new to the O line, finished fourth in rushing in the Big. Guess you love passing? Oh, and Jaimes finished top four in all categories ir higher in the Big.
It is true that we have not had this much talent and potential talent on our offensive line in years. But that isn't saying much given our shitty our lines have been for years. I remain in the "wait and see" mode since I am no longer drinking even a sip of the damn koolaid. Frost and his staff have to prove to me that they can coach these kids up and turn them into winners before I am jumping on any bandwagons. Case in point: Cam Jurgens. He may damn well be the second coming of Dave Rimington and he showed great improvement as the season went on last year. But he still remains in the "potential talent" category in my book. I need to see him make that jump to the next level before I get excited about anything.

Missing Spring practice really hurt this team. I hope we get those practices back somehow. Because guys like Jurgens still need those extra reps.

I will be thrilled if we go 6-6 this year. We are super thin at wide out and running back, very green on the defensive line, still unproven at linebacker, and a QB who needs to improve over last year's disappointment. So in many ways the offensive line had better be what the OP hopes it is. Because we are going to need to lean heavily on the returning talent on the offensive line and defensive backfield to carry this team in my view.

Jaimes was no turnstile last year. Rated out as one of the best OL in the B1G, especially in pass pro. I have been upset about our OL play too, but Jaimes is the exception.

It is true that we have not had this much talent and potential talent on our offensive line in years. But that isn't saying much given our shitty our lines have been for years. I remain in the "wait and see" mode since I am no longer drinking even a sip of the damn koolaid. Frost and his staff have to prove to me that they can coach these kids up and turn them into winners before I am jumping on any bandwagons. Case in point: Cam Jurgens. He may damn well be the second coming of Dave Rimington and he showed great improvement as the season went on last year. But he still remains in the "potential talent" category in my book. I need to see him make that jump to the next level before I get excited about anything.

Missing Spring practice really hurt this team. I hope we get those practices back somehow. Because guys like Jurgens still need those extra reps.

I will be thrilled if we go 6-6 this year. We are super thin at wide out and running back, very green on the defensive line, still unproven at linebacker, and a QB who needs to improve over last year's disappointment. So in many ways the offensive line had better be what the OP hopes it is. Because we are going to need to lean heavily on the returning talent on the offensive line and defensive backfield to carry this team in my view.
You'll get no argument from me. I point out, it was year one at a position he's never played,in a room where true freshmen rarely play.
My point still stands, we just have double the guys we used to have,which by itself is good news, but yes, they need to prove it.
Watching others start, shows improvement was happening elsewhere too. Bando was looking good, came out of nowhere, Bryce looked good for a frosh. My point here is, guys are developing, and are as advertised.

But you nailed it, our D backfield and O line are critical until our young LBs come around and our wrs gel with our qb. But the run game looked very good, and should be better this year.
Finished top four, we should be third this year.

You'll get no argument from me. I point out, it was year one at a position he's never played,in a room where true freshmen rarely play.
My point still stands, we just have double the guys we used to have,which by itself is good news, but yes, they need to prove it.
Watching others start, shows improvement was happening elsewhere too. Bando was looking good, came out of nowhere, Bryce looked good for a frosh. My point here is, guys are developing, and are as advertised.

But you nailed it, our D backfield and O line are critical until our young LBs come around and our wrs gel with our qb. But the run game looked very good, and should be better this year.
Finished top four, we should be third this year.
You are more optimistic than I am, but I think your analysis is essentially correct. I am officially a pessimist with regard to Nebraska football until the team proves me wrong. It is just a defensive mechanism on my part. I actually care too much for NU football and every year (of late) they break my heart. So I am determined to enter this season with lowered expectations, but hoping to be surprised.

ADVERTISEMENT