ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Men’s sports...

ru4nu2win

All-American
May 2, 2006
Has there ever been a worse stretch for husker men’s athletics than currently? Which program between football baseball and basketball do you think will recover the quickest? My guess is basketball with Fred Hoiberg.

Nebraska hasn’t been all that terrible in Baseball as of late .. Winning the conference regular season and losing two B1G tournament Championships and playing in the NCAA the last 2 years..

But I would agree Hoieberg will be able to turn things around quicker because he doesn’t have to win the league to make it in the NCAA dance..

Reactions: BIGSTICK67
I don’t know about ever, but there has certainly never been anything like this in my lifetime. As far as which will recover first that’s tough, because of the wildly different expectations between football and basketball. I think both will improve next year and have winning records, which will probably cause anger amongst the football fans and celebrations among the basketball fans.

It's been pretty pathetic especially when you consider our athletic budget. I guess we are pretty good in wrestling but not many really care about that. We really need to start seeing some big improvements.

Reactions: ssmill777
The football team is obviously in its worst stretch since the Pete Elliott/Bill Jennings era, which resulted in six straight losing seasons from 1956-1961.

The basketball team had a winning record and a post-season run just last year, but finished 6-14 in conference. Just two years ago, Miles' team finished fourth in the Big Ten, but got a No. 5 seed in the NIT. Overall, Miles had three winning seasons in seven and had the only winning conference records at NU since Danny Nee in the '90s.

The baseball team, as @scarletred noted, has had some success in the Big Ten, but it hasn't reached the level of the days in the Big XII. Further, baseball was not a big deal in the Tony Sharpe era, though he did have some competitive Big 7/8 teams in his first couple of decades.

As a comparison, I'll put up the records of all three sports in those six years of Elliott/Jennings so you can compare that to the last six years, with basketball and baseball still incomplete from this year.

In that six-year period of the late '50s/early '60s, out of 18 sports seasons, only four teams posted winning records, all by baseball teams at a time when baseball was not a big deal.

In the last six years, out of 18 sports seasons, we've had eight winning seasons, with this year's baseball season just starting — two in football, two in basketball and four in baseball.

1956-67 vs. 2014-15

Football 4-6 vs. 9-4
Basketball 11-12 vs. 13-18
Baseball 12-10 vs. 34-23

1957-58 vs. 2015-2016

Football 1-9 vs 6-7
Basketball 10-13 vs. 16-18
Baseball 17-10 vs. 37-22

1958-59 vs. 2016-17
Football 3-7 vs. 9-4
Basketball 12-13 vs. 12-19
Baseball 15-8 vs. 35-22-1

1959-60 vs. 2017-2018
Football 4-6 vs. 4-8
Basketball 7-17 vs. 22-11
Baseball 10-13 vs. 24-28

1960-61 vs. 2018-2019
Football 4-6 vs. 4-8
Basketball 10-14 vs. 19-17
Baseball 9-14 vs. 32-24

1961-62 vs. 2019-2020
Football 3-6-1 vs. 5-7
Basketball 9-16 vs. 7-19
Baseball 15-11 vs. 1-4

Frost will have things rolling in year 4 (2021), Hoiberg year 3 (21-22) and Bolt year 3 (2022). Programs will be really solid after new training facility is up and going. Just have to hold on a couple more years! :Cool:
I work in a hospital. We usually tell our doctors and nurses it’s ok to fail for 3 years at your job. Get things rolling in year 4. That’s totally acceptable

I work in a hospital. We usually tell our doctors and nurses it’s ok to fail for 3 years at your job. Get things rolling in year 4. That’s totally acceptable
I bet the turnover at your hospital is probably huge every 4 years or so, sometimes losing doctors after just a year...

And I’m hoping your post was tongue in cheek, because there’s a big difference between life and death and a game played on a field.

worst basketball + football combo in P5

good times.
This year? Northwestern says hello.

Yet Northwestern won an NCAA Tournament game in its first try (2017), and they won a division championship in football (2018), so you may very well be right if we're looking at multiple-season trends.

The difference is they've stayed with their coaching staffs because of those successes, and we've made changes very recently because of a lack of success.

This year? Northwestern says hello.

Yet Northwestern won an NCAA Tournament game in its first try (2017), and they won a division championship in football (2018), so you may very well be right if we're looking at multiple-season trends.

The difference is they've stayed with their coaching staffs because of those successes, and we've made changes very recently because of a lack of success.
0-1 against them this year.

I agree with your point on coaching. we shall see.

Cool. And it took NASA nearly a decade to reach the moon. Building a football program is different than working at a hospital Chief.

Reactions: HuskerO and timnsun
Frost will have things rolling in year 4 (2021), Hoiberg year 3 (21-22) and Bolt year 3 (2022). Programs will be really solid after new training facility is up and going. Just have to hold on a couple more years! :Cool:
Just about every B1G team has newer training facilities. I do think you'll improve but not for that reason. Coaching will have to be the difference not facilities as they are almost all top tier within the conference.

Reactions: donahues17
I bet the turnover at your hospital is probably huge every 4 years or so, sometimes losing doctors after just a year...

And I’m hoping your post was tongue in cheek, because there’s a big difference between life and death and a game played on a field.
You don't recognize sarcasm?

Has there ever been a worse stretch for husker men’s athletics than currently? Which program between football baseball and basketball do you think will recover the quickest? My guess is basketball with Fred Hoiberg.
I guess it depends on your view of, "turn things around" I could be letting the koolaid get to my head again, but I think we see significant improvement in football this year, like 8 wins. I don't see us being able to compete for a BIG title for 2 or 3 years. Which might be the same time Hoiberg gets Bball to the tourney. So, Im taking my shot. Nebraska football Wins the BIG 2022. Nebraska basketball wins its first tourney game also.

Just about every B1G team has newer training facilities. I do think you'll improve but not for that reason. Coaching will have to be the difference not facilities as they are almost all top tier within the conference.

No doubt Coaching development is important... But how many B1G schools put 155 Million in their renovations?

I mean it depends on what the standard that you’re setting is...
I like Fred and I think he will get us to the dance, but is that all we are looking for? Id be shocked if I ever seen nebraska advance to even the elite 8 in my life time...
I’d say the equivalent of making the dance in football would not necessarily mean making to the playoffs, I mean basketball takes what 66 teams now, while football only takes 4.... so I’d say equivalent of making the elite 8 would be making it to one of the old major BCS bowls, and I’d think football could have a better shot at doing that than basketball would...
The wild card here is the baseball team, as it was pointed out baseball hasn’t been too horrible, but it also hasn’t been great either... I’d say actually making it to the CWS in Omaha would be the equal standard there....
So with even standard placed who do I think is most realistic to achieve those goals, I would have to lean more towards football... I just don’t have faith in Nebrasketball to ever make it to and elite 8 heck we haven’t even won a tourney game yet... baseball there are so many unknowns and a ton of what ifs, and coaches don’t have a huge affect on the game, one injury can derail a team one bad pitch can end the game, so many things can happen either for or against that it’s hard to say one way or the other for baseball

Reactions: saluno22
FH will do well here. No doubt in my mind, just as basketball is also taking off locally.
FH is a proven winner, skies the limit. I think he'll set a whole new standard here.

Reactions: scarletred
Baseball has the easier chance as the B1G in baseball is the worst power 5 conference and probably about 8 best conference of all the conferences. Getting to a Super regional would be the baseball standard of a great season.

Football would be a 10 or 11 win season and basketball would be a win in the dance. In my opinion at least.

Reactions: saluno22
Losing has become an epidemic within Nebraska men's sports. This basketball team sucks worse than I could have ever imagined. It's as if Fred and his staff felt they could just bring in a shitload of below average players and sacrifice an entire season, and that's highly disappointing.

Reactions: HuskAir
Losing has become an epidemic within Nebraska men's sports. This basketball team sucks worse than I could have ever imagined. It's as if Fred and his staff felt they could just bring in a shitload of below average players and sacrifice an entire season, and that's highly disappointing.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
On the bright side, we do have a couple of nice recruiting classes. Scott needs to start having some success though, and not from a fans perspective either. He won’t be able to continue those recruiting classes if things don’t start picking up. He may have all of the time from an administration point, but other factors will slip if the trend continues.

Personally, my belief in Scott being the right hire for the program will be at an inflection point this year. Depending on how it goes, so too will my faith go in the golden boy/chosen one.

Somehow, I think that will be more the norm for many fans, than outside the lines.

On the bright side, we do have a couple of nice recruiting classes. Scott needs to start having some success though, and not from a fans perspective either. He won’t be able to continue those recruiting classes if things don’t start picking up. He may have all of the time from an administration point, but other factors will slip if the trend continues.

Personally, my belief in Scott being the right hire for the program will be at an inflection point this year. Depending on how it goes, so too will my faith go in the golden boy/chosen one.

Somehow, I think that will be more the norm for many fans, than outside the lines.

Scott Frost will be at Neb a long, long time

ADVERTISEMENT