ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska MBB +3 @ Wisconsin

This is why basketball is so frustrating for me to watch. My kid’s Rec Center league, high school, college. The refs many times don’t get the calls correct and it frequently affects a games outcome by changing or creating momentum. I know it’s probably much harder than it looks from my easy chair, right? Nice win Huskers!
I did ONE game as a volunteer for a grade school tournament. Never again. 3rd graders. It was in an old gym with an overhanging balcony. At one point I stopped the game, pointed at a guy in the balcony, took my whistle off and said come and get it. I'm volunteering. I've got other things I could be doing. Never heard another word. I think bad players are harder to officiate and these little guys did everything at full tilt. At one point a native American kid literally grabbed the ball out of my hands, threw it in and both teams took off down the court... The wrong way.o_O I looked at the other ref and just laughed.

I doubt it. The biggest thing biting Nebraska is the Kansas loss.
Shoulda coulda woulda and that one hinged on a couple of really bad calls late in the game. Same with the Creighton loss. Just think, we get the benefit of a couple of calls in those games where would we be. Make one more shot at PSU. That's 3 missed opps.

Shoulda coulda woulda and that one hinged on a couple of really bad calls late in the game. Same with the Creighton loss. Just think, we get the benefit of a couple of calls in those games where would we be. Make one more shot at PSU. That's 3 missed opps.

I’m just saying that would take the “haven’t beaten anyone argument” away. Nebraska has so little wiggle room right now. That one game would change everything.

Reactions: dinglefritz
fun game. I like blowouts where we win better though. It'll be a while before I can get to sleep now....

fun game. I like blowouts where we win better though. It'll be a while before I can get to sleep now....

I was pretty worked up during that game. Awesome comeback at the end and I sure hope we don't end up playing those mofos in the B1G tournament.

Our team kept their composure very well when any time Happ touched the ball the whistle blew and the fouls added up in a hurry.

Man looking at the schedule 4-2 would be a bummer.. No reason not to win
Reality check. there is not a gimme on that remaining schedule. Not one. The stuff about the B1G being down is BS. Northwestern disappointed and everybody should have known Wisconsin would be down this year. The bottom has elevated itself and teams like Iowa have borne the brunt of that. I will be happy IF we only lose 2 more from here out and win a game in the Conf Tourney.

Every game is a must-win because any loss will be considered a "bad loss". Maryland is the only team left on our schedule with a Top 100 RPI. We could very well go 12-6 or even 13-5 in the Big Ten and still not make the Big Dance if we lose our first game in the Big Ten tourney.

I did ONE game as a volunteer for a grade school tournament. Never again. 3rd graders. It was in an old gym with an overhanging balcony. At one point I stopped the game, pointed at a guy in the balcony, took my whistle off and said come and get it. I'm volunteering. I've got other things I could be doing. Never heard another word. I think bad players are harder to officiate and these little guys did everything at full tilt. At one point a native American kid literally grabbed the ball out of my hands, threw it in and both teams took off down the court... The wrong way.o_O I looked at the other ref and just laughed.
Wow, you’re a brave guy. I used to coach and never got a technical called on me (close though, lol) but I’ve see many coaches who did. Officiating will always be fuzzy at best so I guess you just gotta accept it. GBR!

I really do love the fact that Miles ran all those hockey lines at Happ tonight, and - with the possible exception of Roby - had the guys he needed still available at the end of the game. If the Huskers draw UW in the conference tournament, maybe he should use these guys:
-649493_ORIGINAL.jpg

As long as they put on the foil.

I know we are merely fans but I’d suggest enjoying this ride. Go one game at a time and don’t worry about much else.

Don’t worry about NCAA. Don’t worry about our record, the B1G seeding and who we match up against. This team is so enjoyable to watch, have a little fun.

That was just a huge win. With our schedule, road wins will be at a premium. Our RPI went from 66 to 57 as of this morning. And id imagine with that we will now be getting some of the “bracket experts” attention. Now we have a week off and can sit back and root against bubble teams.

That was just a huge win. With our schedule, road wins will be at a premium. Our RPI went from 66 to 57 as of this morning. And id imagine with that we will now be getting some of the “bracket experts” attention. Now we have a week off and can sit back and root against bubble teams.

Need our RPI to jump up into the 30's for a surefire road into the tourney, right?

If this team plays the way it has been lately, we may get a win or two in the B1G tourney, which would sure help get us in.

Time for this team to rest up for a strong finish.

Who would have expected this season after the way the last one ended? Not I. I'm going to be happy even if we don't make the dance. I'll be ecstatic if we do. It would have been nice if we had beaten Creigton and/or Kansas. We're not a great team, but at times we've shown that we can scrap. Palmer can flat out ball. Fun year.

Reactions: chicolby
The interesting thing about finishing 4th in the B1G is that you have a first round (likely) against Michigan who should be the five. And then if you win that, you go up against Number one in Purdue. I’d say picking up one win in the tourney (if you enter as a 4) is probably best case scenario.

For the record, I think Miles has actually been pretty good in the conference tournament. Even when his record in the regular season has been bad, the team seems to step it up in the tournament. Disclaimer: I didn’t look up actual record but was going loosely off of memory.

A couple statistics that may not make noise, but played a big part in this win.

Huskers only had 6 turnovers and actually out-rebounded Wisconsin in this game. This in addition to some really steady FT shooting (86%) will really help this team down the stretch.

A couple statistics that may not make noise, but played a big part in this win.

Huskers only had 6 turnovers and actually out-rebounded Wisconsin in this game. This in addition to some really steady FT shooting (86%) will really help this team down the stretch.
I only remember one time that Wisconsin rebounded a missed free throw and ended up scoring as a result. Might have been more than one, but there weren't many. That was important, considering the number of bricks Happ was throwing up there from the FT line. The past couple of games it seems like everyone is a bit more committed on the boards. Wish the Huskers had a big-time rebounder but when you don't, that can be mitigated to some degree by everyone hitting the glass a little bit harder.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Every game is a must-win because any loss will be considered a "bad loss". Maryland is the only team left on our schedule with a Top 100 RPI. We could very well go 12-6 or even 13-5 in the Big Ten and still not make the Big Dance if we lose our first game in the Big Ten tourney.

I agree. That's what I've been saying for awhile.

Looking at the schedules right now, barring a complete collapse by someone, Nebraska is probably going to get the 4 seed in the BIG CT, with a rematch against Michigan. I just don't see OSU or Sparty loosing enough to drop below Nebraska.

Michigan is still # 37 RPI. Since Nebraska beat them at home, that isn't a Q1 win. If they hold in that 37 range, and Nebraska beats them in NY (neutral site), that would be a Q1 win, and I think it'd be hard for the committee to stay with 4 teams and take Michigan over Nebraska, if Nebraska were to go 2-0 against them.

I have to admit, I'm not wild about a rematch with Michigan with that much on the line. Michigan will want that game badly if the talk is still that the Big 10 could only get 4 teams, not to mention the revenge factor. I do think Michigan has a much better chance of making the dance as the 5th BIG team vs Nebraska, especially if they knock off OSU.

Right now, I think Nebraska could afford to lose a game or two of the final 6, as long as they maintain that #4 seed, to make Michigan have to play an extra game. Then, they have to beat Michigan. If Nebraska goes 6-0 to end the season, and loses to Michigan in the 4/5 quarters game, I'll be on pins and needles until Selection Sunday. If the committee is only going to take four BIG teams, Nebraska's #4 seed won't mean much compared to their #5, when they have wins @ Texas, @ MSU, and potentially OSU, and you consider they had to play Purdue twice in conference.

Now if Nebraska beats Michigan, and can catch Purdue napping in the semis, and knock them off, we're in (IMHO).

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Who would have expected this season after the way the last one ended? Not I. I'm going to be happy even if we don't make the dance. I'll be ecstatic if we do. It would have been nice if we had beaten Creigton and/or Kansas. We're not a great team, but at times we've shown that we can scrap. Palmer can flat out ball. Fun year.
no one would have, its been a pleasant surprise...Having Creighton and Nebraska hoops as a diversion to get me to Spring Training has been nice.

Wow, you’re a brave guy. I used to coach and never got a technical called on me (close though, lol) but I’ve see many coaches who did. Officiating will always be fuzzy at best so I guess you just gotta accept it. GBR!
When I was 15-16 years old I umpired Little League baseball. I had wanted to umpire for about as long as I could remember. Had to give it up. The name-calling, cussing, and threats from parents was unbelievable. Being a teenager and having to take Maalox before games was ridiculous.

When I was 15-16 years old I umpired Little League baseball. I had wanted to umpire for about as long as I could remember. Had to give it up. The name-calling, cussing, and threats from parents was unbelievable. Being a teenager and having to take Maalox before games was ridiculous.
Have a buddy that did 12 year old games...the parents and coaches were such assholes he used to call balls on purpose just to piss off the team parents that were being rude. Even walked in a winning run on 4 pitches right down the middle while looking at the asshole parents.

I know we are merely fans but I’d suggest enjoying this ride. Go one game at a time and don’t worry about much else.

Don’t worry about NCAA. Don’t worry about our record, the B1G seeding and who we match up against. This team is so enjoyable to watch, have a little fun.
I absolutely agree. Enjoy this ride. These kids are playing really hard and they're doing a good job of playing together, defending, and putting the ball in the basket. I'm going to do my best to not get ahead of it all and just look forward to the next game. They're fun to watch!

This is why basketball is so frustrating for me to watch. My kid’s Rec Center league, high school, college. The refs many times don’t get the calls correct and it frequently affects a games outcome by changing or creating momentum. I know it’s probably much harder than it looks from my easy chair, right? Nice win Huskers!
It's really difficult. I've been doing it for 17 years. Started out doing middle school kids when I was a junior in high school, and it immediately changed how I communicated with referees as a player. It's a whole different world, Things move very fast even at the middle school level for someone who has never officiated before. There is so much that you're responsible for. I did that through college, and then started doing sub-varsity after college. Took about 4 years to progress to my first small college game. I worked really hard at it. I no longer work high school games as my college schedule is busy, I don't want to get rules differences mixed up, and I honestly can't justify being away from home for an evening for $65-$75. My wife is a great support, but when I go on the road for a D1 check now, coming home and going out the next night for $75 isn't going to fly...and it shouldn't. Even if she let me, I wouldn't do it.

I'm happy to have a discussion with you if you ever want to discuss the officiating. We certainly don't get them all right. There is also quite a bit of misperception on the fans part of what we are actually doing, what we're looking at, why we are or are not blowing our whistles. I'm happy to share my perspective if you ever are interested or just want to talk about specific calls or no-calls. I think the combination of those two makes for a very difficult job for referees.

It's really difficult. I've been doing it for 17 years. Started out doing middle school kids when I was a junior in high school, and it immediately changed how I communicated with referees as a player. It's a whole different world, Things move very fast even at the middle school level for someone who has never officiated before. There is so much that you're responsible for. I did that through college, and then started doing sub-varsity after college. Took about 4 years to progress to my first small college game. I worked really hard at it. I no longer work high school games as my college schedule is busy, I don't want to get rules differences mixed up, and I honestly can't justify being away from home for an evening for $65-$75. My wife is a great support, but when I go on the road for a D1 check now, coming home and going out the next night for $75 isn't going to fly...and it shouldn't. Even if she let me, I wouldn't do it.

I'm happy to have a discussion with you if you ever want to discuss the officiating. We certainly don't get them all right. There is also quite a bit of misperception on the fans part of what we are actually doing, what we're looking at, why we are or are not blowing our whistles. I'm happy to share my perspective if you ever are interested or just want to talk about specific calls or no-calls. I think the combination of those two makes for a very difficult job for referees.
Yes. Agreed. If you need the good old boy brain-wasshed excuse train, this is your guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT