ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska MBB +11.5 @ Ohio State

I can still only imagine that timeout with 9 on the shot clock.

Miles: “Alright, there are... *adjusts glasses*... 19 seconds on the shot clock. Whatever you guys do, get it to JP...*looks over shoulder and whispers...* just kidding, anyone but Palmer these final few minutes; they are expecting it! Work it down low for a low percentage fadaway. Cope...this is your show now. Alright, 3-2-1, Huskers!”

We're playing for the NIT now. Hopefully we can find a grad transfer big man in the offseason and make a run to the Big Dance next year.

From someone who can't back up anything about the officials being "horrible". Nebraska missed a ton of shots. That was the difference. THe officials were pretty good tonight.
Actually I agree. Just be a "pro" and ignore the complainers. No reason for the good ole boy response.

Really needed this win for a chance to be the possible # 5 team.

Right now, even if Nebraska were to finish in the top 4 of the conference in the regular season, without a deep run in the Conference tourney, I think we are screwed regarding the big dance. We flat out don’t have a good road win, and don’t have one available left on the schedule.

Just unreal that Palmer can go off for 34, and no one else can get into double figures.

We're playing for the NIT now. Hopefully we can find a grad transfer big man in the offseason and make a run to the Big Dance next year.

Maybe with some luck, we get one of the #1s.

I have no knowledge on the situation, or any reason that this would help, but I’m rooting for Jeff Smith and South Dakota to win the Summit Tourney, and maybe just maybe Daum will look at this roster and be intrigued with the possibility of coming home. We can dream right? I’m not holding my breath.

Jeez. It’s these kinds of reactions that make me scratch my head.

Yes it was a big game but not a must win.

Look at the Husker schedule for the final 5 games. They go clean down that stretch and win a game or two in the conference tourney, you may be surprised.

Look at the Husker schedule for the final 5 games. They go clean down that stretch and win a game or two in the conference tourney, you may be surprised.

The conference RPI and the lack of big wins for Nebraska = bad news for us IMO. Even if Nebraska knocks off one of the top 4 in the conference tourney, it likely won’t be enough. We have only beat one team with a pulse, and the committee will know it.

Reactions: TheNewNU

It was our last chance for a "resume win". With the bad St John's and UCF losses, we aren't getting in the Big Dance, barring some miraculous run. But history shows that Miles probably isn't going to win many road games.

Last edited:
It was our last chance for a "resume win". With the bad St John's and UCF losses, we aren't getting in, barring some miraculous run. But we all know Miles' isn't going to win many road games.

This is a bad year to finish 5th in the Big 10, whoever that ends up being.

Reactions: Hugo_Stiglitz7
I’ll make a bet with anyone willing to take it that the B1G gets more than 4 teams in the NCAA tournament.
Yeah, I am with you. I know that 4 is the popular pick but I just can't see only 4 getting in. Purdue, MSU, OSU and Michigan are in...one more will make it.

Reactions: Cornicator
Yeah, I am with you. I know that 4 is the popular pick but I just can't see only 4 getting in. Purdue, MSU, OSU and Michigan are in...one more will make it.

If Nebraska finishes 21-10 and 12-6 in the league, they will get into the tourney. However, that comes with a caveat. THey can't lose to Illinois, Iowa, or Rutgers ( who they play twice)

If Nebraska finishes 21-10 and 12-6 in the league, they will get into the tourney. However, that comes with a caveat. THey can't lose to Illinois, Iowa, or Rutgers ( who they play twice)
And road wins are always hard to come by...

I’ll make a bet with anyone willing to take it that the B1G gets more than 4 teams in the NCAA tournament.

As I pointed out before, in 2014 when the Big 10 was #1 in RPI, we got 6. If we get 5 we will be damn lucky as the #6 RPI conference. You better hope there are no upsets with the 32 automatic bids, because every one that happens will hurt the Big 10 chances at getting 5.

Nebraska is currently 66, and probably can’t afford to lose any more games with the remaining schedule. Nebraska has to beat Maryland, and hope Maryland continues to lose and drop in RPI.

For those who think I’m being negative regarding Nebraska’s chances, look at the 4 quadrant selection criteria in the below link, and then look at our schedule and current RPI. Nebraska has zero quadrant 1 wins.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nc...ion-committee-adjusts-team-sheets-emphasizing

Reactions: davecisar

And Maryland tanks, and Nebraska finishes no worse than #5, and very few if any Cinderella’s taking away at large spots. Then, it’s a big maybe. Again, zero quadrant 1 wins as it stands now. That will hurt even with 21 wins.

And Maryland tanks, and Nebraska finishes no worse than #5, and very few if any Cinderella’s taking away at large spots. Then, it’s a big maybe. Again, zero quadrant 1 wins as it stands now. That will hurt even with 21 wins.

A 21 win Big Ten team isn't getting left out of the tourney. Maryland and Indiana both have brutal schedules ahead. Secondly, they both will be underdogs when they come to Lincoln. IMO, if the Huskers lose to those teams they don't deserve a tourney bid anyway.

Ladies and gentlemen, Nebraska Cornhuskers Basketball!

If tim doesnt make it this year anyone thinking he deserves more time needs a session with a shrink.
I hate to be the one who needs a shrink, but I have a hard time seeing him let go. These guys are incredibly talented and showing that they belong on the court with several top teams. They took Creighton down to the last minute. They had Kansas on the ropes. They rolled a top 25 Michigan. They were in the game down to the last 2 minutes on the road at #13 Ohio State. This team is as legitimate as we've had and everyone wants to pull the plug.

Mind you, these guys are in their first few months of playing together. The chemistry and defining of roles will only become better next season. Allen easily plugs in where Gill or Taylor leave off and the rest basically stays the same.

In my mind, some of you are so hell bent on hating Miles, that you refuse to see progress and you simply want him gone. Everyone has a right to an opinion, but I would not fire a guy who has his team already head and shoulders above last year's team and still with time for a late season run to get into the tournament.

This reaction comes only days after wiping out Michigan and losing a close one on the road to an undefeated team (in conference). I just think people have unreasonable expectations. Save this kind of reaction for when the team loses to a crappy team, not to the top rated team in conference on the road.

Actually I agree. Just be a "pro" and ignore the complainers. No reason for the good ole boy response.

I honestly wasn't trying to give a good ole boy response. I think there is a lot of that isn't understood about officiating and I like to engage people and see if we can sort out some of the misunderstandings. Not everything is black and white. Certainly, no official has ever worked a perfect game, and errors are part of the game, but they aren't out there missing as many calls at people think. I like to discuss that stuff with others.

I hate to be the one who needs a shrink, but I have a hard time seeing him let go. These guys are incredibly talented and showing that they belong on the court with several top teams. They took Creighton down to the last minute. They had Kansas on the ropes. They rolled a top 25 Michigan. They were in the game down to the last 2 minutes on the road at #13 Ohio State. This team is as legitimate as we've had and everyone wants to pull the plug.

Mind you, these guys are in their first few months of playing together. The chemistry and defining of roles will only become better next season. Allen easily plugs in where Gill or Taylor leave off and the rest basically stays the same.

In my mind, some of you are so hell bent on hating Miles, that you refuse to see progress and you simply want him gone. Everyone has a right to an opinion, but I would not fire a guy who has his team already head and shoulders above last year's team and still with time for a late season run to get into the tournament.

This reaction comes only days after wiping out Michigan and losing a close one on the road to an undefeated team (in conference). I just think people have unreasonable expectations. Save this kind of reaction for when the team loses to a crappy team, not to the top rated team in conference on the road.
This loss came down to the differential in points off turnovers. Obviously our poor shooting from behind the arc didn't help either. I get people's complaints about losing these games in the last couple of minutes. I'm not sure what goes on in trying to run set plays out of timeouts etc.. Sometime we seem to draw something up and it works great. Last night it didn't. We HAVE to have more than one guy making shots from the perimeter for our offense to work. We had 5 guys making perimeter shots against Michigan. Shooting backdrops and familiarity makes a difference to shooters I guess.

I didn't say I wanted Miles gone, I said the ceiling for this year's team is the NIT, and a lot of that is due to the schedule and lack of quality wins.

Next year is NCAA Tournament or bust or Miles with the veteran players we have returning, if he can't get us there next year, it's probably time for a change. I just hope we don't have any more key transfers or Palmer doesn't leave early like Petteway did.

Last edited:
A 21 win Big Ten team isn't getting left out of the tourney. Maryland and Indiana both have brutal schedules ahead. Secondly, they both will be underdogs when they come to Lincoln. IMO, if the Huskers lose to those teams they don't deserve a tourney bid anyway.

You talk as if the Big 10 and Nebraska have some high national respect level right now in basketball.Laughing 21 wins is not some magic number that gets us to the dance, especially with the remaining schedule. You are saying Nebraska goes 7-2. So who are the 2? Nebraska is in such a hole they pretty much have to win out, because they need the wins against the few decent teams they have, and absolutely can't afford to lose against the bad ones.

If Nebraska is # 5 in the conference, and ends up with 21 or more wins and has zero wins in quadrant 1, the committee members who don't care about the Big 10, representing the other conferences, are going to point that out, and will leave Nebraska out. They can not chose Nebraska if Nebraska has zero quadrant 1 wins over a team that has one or more, and has a higher RPI and SOS.

Below I listed conferences by RPI. I listed the number of teams in the top 30 in RPI currently in column 2. In the parenthesis for the first 7 conferences, I listed teams outside of the top 30 RPI, and listed their RPI/Strength of Schedule/Quadrant 1 wins best as I could figure (that number is an "at least #" for Q1 wins). The ones bolded have both an RPI and SOS better than Nebraska.

There are 36 at large bids. Lets assume there are no upsets, and that the automatic bid for the top 6 conferences goes to one of the teams in the top 30 RPI, that would leave, 23 teams in the top 30 RPI, all likely getting bids, leaving 13 at large bids. If you take the bolded teams that all have a higher RPI and SOS than Nebraska, just in the top 7 conferences, you get 15 teams.

Now look at the conferences below # 7 in RPI. Does the Mountain West get both Nevada and Boise in? What about if Bonnies get the A10 bid, does URI with an RPI of 9 at this point get left out? Does Buffalo get left out if they don't win their CCG?

Big 12 (#1) 5 teams (+Texas 42/17/4, KSU 53/101/2)
ACC- (#2) 6 teams (+FSU 41/62/2, Syracuse 43/21/0, ND 62/52/2)
Big East-(#3) 6 teams (+Providence 36/27/2, Marquette 47/28/1)
SEC (#4) 7 teams (+Missouri 38/22/3, Georgia 51/60/3
Pac 12 (#5) 2 teams (+USC 39/33/0, UW 50/50/3)
Big 10 (#6) 3 teams (+Michigan 37/65, Maryland 52/52/1 Nebraska 66/80/0)
AAC- (#7) 2 teams (+Temple 46/2/2, Houston 48/138, SMU 54/61/2, UCF 57/64/1)
MV- (#8)- 0 teams (Probably 1 bid league)
MW- (#9) 2 teams Nevada 13/51/1, Boise St. 34/87/0
A10- (#10) 1 team URI 9/25/1 (St. Bonn 49/73/2)
MAC- (#11) 1 Team Buffalo 28/36/0
WCC- (#13) 0 teams (St. Marys 40/154/0, Gonzaga 56/160/3)

Right now Nebraska is just in a bad spot, and Maryland isn't in much of a better one. Nebraska badly needs Michigan to move into the top 30 RPI before Selection Sunday.

Nebraska needs to beat Maryland, and have Maryland move into the top 30 by Selection Sunday. They have games at home vs Sparty, Michigan (oops we need Michigan to win), and a road game at Purdue. Not likely.

Nebraska needs to beat Minnesota to stay in the top 75 (they are currently 75th). They have games left including at Michigan (oops we need Michigan to keep winning), home to Sparty, at Purdue, and a bunch of games they can't lose, like 2 to Iowa and Indiana.

Now consider the four quadrants used by the committee. Nebraska's current record against each quadrant:

Q1: 0-5
Q2: 4-3
Q3: 2-0
Q4: 8-0

10 of 14 wins are from quads 3 and 4 currentlyRollingLaugh. Our remaining games:

Rutgers (twice) 179 (Q4/Q3)
Iowa 150 (Q3)
Wisconsin 133 (Q2)
Minnesota 75 (Q1)
Maryland 52 (Q2)
Illinois 172 (Q3)
Indiana 91 (Q3)
Penn State 135 (Q3)

That is NOT a tournament resume. Yes teams RPI numbers can change, but the conferences are pretty well set. Barring Michigan finishing in the top 30, and with some luck, a tourney win vs a top 30 Purdue or Michigan State (because again, we need Michigan to win the CC, if it ain't Nebraska), The odds are so stacked against Nebraska, because there are a hell of a lot more teams out there (from better conferences) with better arguments to get in, then there are spots available. Oh and 21 wins in the Big 10 this year, big freaking deal when over a third would be Q4 games.

Reactions: davecisar

Next year!!!
Just keep sayin it its bound to come true.
And I dont hate miles you drama queen. Hes a good guy and has had his chance. Make the dance this year and he deserves another. If he doesnt, the writing is on the wall.
It is not an unreasonable expectation to make the dance in year 6 for only his second time with this much talent when the big ten is at a historic low point. This has nothing to do with the loss to OSU. I said the same before. I dont care who we beat or lose to as long as we fo to the NCAA tourney in year six with a talented team in the weakest year of the big.
Not asking for a title.
Top notch facilities and support.
If he cant do it, he will never maximize our player talent and theres no reason to drag things out. For the life of me i cant understand the logic.
So cut the too high of expectations crap, it isnt.

Ladies and gentlemen, Nebraska Cornhuskers Basketball!

If tim doesnt make it this year anyone thinking he deserves more time needs a session with a shrink.

I've been one of the biggest Miles critics out there, but I say he deserves another year because most of this roster (we assume) is coming back.

If Miles doesn't do anything next year, I'll likely be calling for his head, because the next year, no Watson, Copeland, and Palmer. It's going to be imperative that Allen and Atkenten show they can take over once those three are gone. And of course Miles will have to get some players to replace them.

I've been one of the biggest Miles critics out there, but I say he deserves another year because most of this roster (we assume) is coming back.

If Miles doesn't do anything next year, I'll likely be calling for his head, because the next year, no Watson, Copeland, and Palmer. It's going to be imperative that Allen and Atkenten show they can take over once those three are gone. And of course Miles will have to get some players to replace them.
All the more reason to get a new coach after this season if miles doesnt make it.
Hey we have talent here. Come coach it.
No reason to stick with a coach who cant get anything out of his talent. Weak conference, etc.
Make the dance.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

I'll stick with what I've said all season: NU needs to finish in the upper half of the Big Ten, or Miles gets shown the door. That may seem like a low standard due to the conference being down, but I don't believe in moving the goal posts. Would be great to finish in the top 4 or 5 and make the NCAA Tournament, and I still hope that happens. But an upper-half finish represents some progress compared to the s--- show of the past three seasons.

You talk as if the Big 10 and Nebraska have some high national respect level right now in basketball.Laughing 21 wins is not some magic number that gets us to the dance, especially with the remaining schedule. You are saying Nebraska goes 7-2. So who are the 2? Nebraska is in such a hole they pretty much have to win out, because they need the wins against the few decent teams they have, and absolutely can't afford to lose against the bad ones.

If Nebraska is # 5 in the conference, and ends up with 21 or more wins and has zero wins in quadrant 1, the committee members who don't care about the Big 10, representing the other conferences, are going to point that out, and will leave Nebraska out. They can not chose Nebraska if Nebraska has zero quadrant 1 wins over a team that has one or more, and has a higher RPI and SOS.

Below I listed conferences by RPI. I listed the number of teams in the top 30 in RPI currently in column 2. In the parenthesis for the first 7 conferences, I listed teams outside of the top 30 RPI, and listed their RPI/Strength of Schedule/Quadrant 1 wins best as I could figure (that number is an "at least #" for Q1 wins). The ones bolded have both an RPI and SOS better than Nebraska.

There are 36 at large bids. Lets assume there are no upsets, and that the automatic bid for the top 6 conferences goes to one of the teams in the top 30 RPI, that would leave, 23 teams in the top 30 RPI, all likely getting bids, leaving 13 at large bids. If you take the bolded teams that all have a higher RPI and SOS than Nebraska, just in the top 7 conferences, you get 15 teams.

Now look at the conferences below # 7 in RPI. Does the Mountain West get both Nevada and Boise in? What about if Bonnies get the A10 bid, does URI with an RPI of 9 at this point get left out? Does Buffalo get left out if they don't win their CCG?

Big 12 (#1) 5 teams (+Texas 42/17/4, KSU 53/101/2)
ACC- (#2) 6 teams (+FSU 41/62/2, Syracuse 43/21/0, ND 62/52/2)
Big East-(#3) 6 teams (+Providence 36/27/2, Marquette 47/28/1)
SEC (#4) 7 teams (+Missouri 38/22/3, Georgia 51/60/3
Pac 12 (#5) 2 teams (+USC 39/33/0, UW 50/50/3)
Big 10 (#6) 3 teams (+Michigan 37/65, Maryland 52/52/1 Nebraska 66/80/0)
AAC- (#7) 2 teams (+Temple 46/2/2, Houston 48/138, SMU 54/61/2, UCF 57/64/1)
MV- (#8)- 0 teams (Probably 1 bid league)
MW- (#9) 2 teams Nevada 13/51/1, Boise St. 34/87/0
A10- (#10) 1 team URI 9/25/1 (St. Bonn 49/73/2)
MAC- (#11) 1 Team Buffalo 28/36/0
WCC- (#13) 0 teams (St. Marys 40/154/0, Gonzaga 56/160/3)

Right now Nebraska is just in a bad spot, and Maryland isn't in much of a better one. Nebraska badly needs Michigan to move into the top 30 RPI before Selection Sunday.

Nebraska needs to beat Maryland, and have Maryland move into the top 30 by Selection Sunday. They have games at home vs Sparty, Michigan (oops we need Michigan to win), and a road game at Purdue. Not likely.

Nebraska needs to beat Minnesota to stay in the top 75 (they are currently 75th). They have games left including at Michigan (oops we need Michigan to keep winning), home to Sparty, at Purdue, and a bunch of games they can't lose, like 2 to Iowa and Indiana.

Now consider the four quadrants used by the committee. Nebraska's current record against each quadrant:

Q1: 0-5
Q2: 4-3
Q3: 2-0
Q4: 8-0

10 of 14 wins are from quads 3 and 4 currentlyRollingLaugh. Our remaining games:

Rutgers (twice) 179 (Q4/Q3)
Iowa 150 (Q3)
Wisconsin 133 (Q2)
Minnesota 75 (Q1)
Maryland 52 (Q2)
Illinois 172 (Q3)
Indiana 91 (Q3)
Penn State 135 (Q3)

That is NOT a tournament resume. Yes teams RPI numbers can change, but the conferences are pretty well set. Barring Michigan finishing in the top 30, and with some luck, a tourney win vs a top 30 Purdue or Michigan State (because again, we need Michigan to win the CC, if it ain't Nebraska), The odds are so stacked against Nebraska, because there are a hell of a lot more teams out there (from better conferences) with better arguments to get in, then there are spots available. Oh and 21 wins in the Big 10 this year, big freaking deal when over a third would be Q4 games.

You should consider seeking gainful employment. I feel bad for you. You took a lot of time, and performed a lot of good research, but irrelevant research none-the- less.
No Big Ten team with more than 20 wins has ever been left out of the NCAA tourney. It won't happen this year either. I think with the league down, that precedent could exist for a team with only 20. But, they won't extend to more than 20.

You suggest the Big Ten is 4 bid league. Everyone assumes Michigan is going to be that 4th bid. If you look at their schedule, 12-6, is completely logical. They probably finish 22 - 9 in the regular season.

In the scenario where Nebraska finishes 12-6 and 21-10 overall, the Huskers would actually move into 4th place in the Big Ten because of the head to head result over Michigan. Maryland can also finish with 20 wins, but they look to be destined for a 10-8 finish.

The selection committee isn't leaving out the 4th place team from the Big Ten when they have more than 20 wins.

Now... if you don't think the Huskers can get to 21 wins, then that's a different argument.

If they are 21-10 by season's end, they will earn a bid. I also laugh at the people who suggest Nebraska has to something like 14-4 in the league to earn a Bid. This is the Big Ten, not the Sun Belt.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
You should consider seeking gainful employment. I feel bad for you. You took a lot of time, and performed a lot of good research, but irrelevant research none-the- less.
No Big Ten team with more than 20 wins has ever been left out of the NCAA tourney. It won't happen this year either. I think with the league down, that precedent could exist for a team with only 20. But, they won't extend to more than 20.

You suggest the Big Ten is 4 bid league. Everyone assumes Michigan is going to be that 4th bid. If you look at their schedule, 12-6, is completely logical. They probably finish 22 - 9 in the regular season.

In the scenario where Nebraska finishes 12-6 and 21-10 overall, the Huskers would actually move into 4th place in the Big Ten because of the head to head result over Michigan. Maryland can also finish with 20 wins, but they look to be destined for a 10-8 finish.

The selection committee isn't leaving out the 4th place team from the Big Ten when they have more than 20 wins.

Now... if you don't think the Huskers can get to 21 wins, then that's a different argument.

If they are 21-10 by season's end, they will earn a bid. I also laugh at the people who suggest Nebraska has to something like 14-4 in the league to earn a Bid. This is the Big Ten, not the Sun Belt.

There's always a first time, and I'll bet no 20 win Big 10 team has lacked a quality win worse than Nebraska has this year. The numbers don't lie, and quadrant criteria is new. So the fact that no Big 10 team with 20 wins has ever been left out, is interesting, but that is what is truly irrelevant. You are making an assumption based on past history, when the criteria is completely different.

I'd buy your argument that a 4th place Nebraska doesn't get left out, IF, all Big 10 schedules were the same (like if there were only 10 teams not 14). They aren't. Look at Maryland, and Indiana's conference schedule (the teams directly above and behind Nebraska in the conference standings), and compare that to Nebraska. Yea that's fair, and I'm pretty sure the committee is smart enough to realize that, and won't blindly just accept the conference standings of a 14 team league with lopsided scheduling. Oh, and Michigan, Maryland, and Indiana all have more chances to improve their resume more than Nebraska does.

I'll stick with what I've said all season: NU needs to finish in the upper half of the Big Ten, or Miles gets shown the door. That may seem like a low standard due to the conference being down, but I don't believe in moving the goal posts. Would be great to finish in the top 4 or 5 and make the NCAA Tournament, and I still hope that happens. But an upper-half finish represents some progress compared to the s--- show of the past three seasons.

Well the Big 10 blessed Miles with an easy schedule this season to make that mark. Lucky for him. If he had Maryland or Indiana's schedule, I think he'd be screwed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT