ADVERTISEMENT

$$$ Nebraska has made in the BIG

Madison6661

Jul 6, 2015
I keep seeing on here where Nebraska joined the BIG for the money. The truth is that even a little Big 12 school like KSU has made more money from the Big 12 than Nebraska has made from the BIG since they left in 2010. In fact as of 2018 KSU has made almost 40 million more in conference distributions than Nebraska received from the BIG. I did the research after the 2018 conference distribution so the 2019 numbers are missing. It is true that the current payout from the BIG is more than the Big 12 so in about 3 to 4 years Nebrasks will catch up with KSU. It is also true that Big 12 teams have their own tier 3 money which no other conference has. KSU is one of the lowest but they still get 5 to 6 million a year. Texas gets around 16 to 18 million for the Longhorns network. Oklahoma and the other schools are in between. If you look up and verify the numbers from the web (it's all public record) please add the tier 3 money into the Big 12 teams. It may take Nebraska a little longer to catch up with KSU since they wont be playing football this year and the BIG will probably be less.

KSU
2010 = 12.4 mil
2011 = 15.2 mil
2012 = 25.5 mil
2013 = 27.2 mil
2014 = 28.6 mil
2015 = 31.3 mil
2016 = 35.4 mil
2017 = 40.2 mil
2018 = 44.4 mil
Total = $260.20

NEBRASKA
2010 = 3.4 mil
2011 = 14.3 mil
2012 = 15.4 mil
2013 = 16.5 mil
2014 = 18.7 mil
2015 = 23.1 mil
2016 = 26.0 mil
2017 = 50.6 mil
2018 = 53.4 mil
Total = $221.4 mil

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I keep seeing on here where Nebraska joined the BIG for the money. The truth is that even a little Big 12 school like KSU has made more money from the Big 12 than Nebraska has made from the BIG since they left in 2010. In fact as of 2018 KSU has made almost 40 million more in conference distributions than Nebraska received from the BIG. I did the research after the 2018 conference distribution so the 2019 numbers are missing. It is true that the current payout from the BIG is more than the Big 12 so in about 3 to 4 years Nebrasks will catch up with KSU. It is also true that Big 12 teams have their own tier 3 money which no other conference has. KSU is one of the lowest but they still get 5 to 6 million a year. Texas gets around 16 to 18 million for the Longhorns network. Oklahoma and the other schools are in between. If you look up and verify the numbers from the web (it's all public record) please add the tier 3 money into the Big 12 teams. It may take Nebraska a little longer to catch up with KSU since they wont be playing football this year and the BIG will probably be less.

KSU
2010 = 12.4 mil
2011 = 15.2 mil
2012 = 25.5 mil
2013 = 27.2 mil
2014 = 28.6 mil
2015 = 31.3 mil
2016 = 35.4 mil
2017 = 40.2 mil
2018 = 44.4 mil
Total = $260.20

NEBRASKA
2010 = 3.4 mil
2011 = 14.3 mil
2012 = 15.4 mil
2013 = 16.5 mil
2014 = 18.7 mil
2015 = 23.1 mil
2016 = 26.0 mil
2017 = 50.6 mil
2018 = 53.4 mil
Total = $221.4 mil

Nebraska basically added a billion dollars to its endowment in 10 years.

Reactions: TheNewNU and dpnavy

KSU
2010 = 12.4 mil
2011 = 15.2 mil
2012 = 25.5 mil
2013 = 27.2 mil
2014 = 28.6 mil
2015 = 31.3 mil
2016 = 35.4 mil
2017 = 40.2 mil
2018 = 44.4 mil
Total = $260.20

NEBRASKA
2010 = 3.4 mil
2011 = 14.3 mil
2012 = 15.4 mil
2013 = 16.5 mil
2014 = 18.7 mil
2015 = 23.1 mil
2016 = 26.0 mil
2017 = 50.6 mil
2018 = 53.4 mil
Total = $221.4 mil

Nebraska wasn't a full member of the B1G and only received partial payments, until the last couple of years.

Reactions: jhegge78
This doesn't have anything to do with endowments only conference distributions paid to each school. 2 totally separate items. Unless you are making a point that the Nebraska alumni didn't contribute to their school until they joined the BIG.​

This doesn't have anything to do with endowments only conference distributions paid to each school. 2 totally separate items. Unless you are making a point that the Nebraska alumni didn't contribute to their school until they joined the BIG.​

Joining a new conference isn't a sports only decision. Fans have said it. Uni Leadership has said it.

No one is crying about a piddly football differential covering the vesting period.

Reactions: nu2u
KSU must of made a deal with Texas to take care of their money for a short time, perhaps a loan?

Nebraska wasn't a full member of the B1G and only received partial payments, until the last couple of years.
Exactly. That is why I gave you numbers for each year. The numbers are the numbers and you can research them for yourself. I just stated in my post that KSU to date has made about 40 million more than Nebraska in conference distributions up to 2019 and that with Nebraska's full conference share they should catch up with KSU in about 3 to 4 years. With the teir 3 money Big 12 teams get, especially Texas, I don't think Nebraska could ever catch up with most of them. Or it will take a long time.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Joining a new conference isn't a sports only decision. Fans have said it. Uni Leadership has said it.

No one is crying about a piddly football differential covering the vesting period.
That's right. Wasn't Nebraska an AAU school in the Big 12. I believe that they were also an AAU in the BIG until the BIG university presidents voted them out. What a great show of support and love that the BIG schools have for Nebraska. Sounds like a great conference to be in.

How much per year does KSU make to be on the bottom rung of a dying conference that will collapse when Texas and Oklahoma decide to head out? Does KSU make any more per year to have zero voice and be entirely irrelevant? EMAW

Reactions: nwualum
Over the next 10 years Nebraska will make considerably more. Moving to the Big Ten was a long term move.

Reactions: dpnavy

KSU
2010 = 12.4 mil
2011 = 15.2 mil
2012 = 25.5 mil
2013 = 27.2 mil
2014 = 28.6 mil
2015 = 31.3 mil
2016 = 35.4 mil
2017 = 40.2 mil
2018 = 44.4 mil
Total = $260.20

NEBRASKA
2010 = 3.4 mil
2011 = 14.3 mil
2012 = 15.4 mil
2013 = 16.5 mil
2014 = 18.7 mil
2015 = 23.1 mil
2016 = 26.0 mil
2017 = 50.6 mil
2018 = 53.4 mil
Total = $221.4 mil
You forgot 2019

How much per year does KSU make to be on the bottom rung of a dying conference that will collapse when Texas and Oklahoma decide to head out? Does KSU make any more per year to have lev
I will always love my school as I hope you will always love Nebraska so there is no reason to get personal with individual schools. I would guess that you are pretty young since you don't know any history with KSU in the Big 12. Do your research. We will always be a small school and Manhattan is a great college town. We have had our good years in all sports and have won conference championships. I especially enjoyed 2012 when we won all 3 major sports in 1 year, Football, Basketball, and Baseball. We were even ranked number 1 in football late in the season. Not to bad for a total irrelevant bottom of the ring school. I had attended every KSU vs NEB since 1986 weather it was in Manhattan or Lincoln ( I live 1200 miles away from Manhattan so it wasn't easy) and I have a great deal of respect for NEB. I want to wish you the best going forward. Most of my close NEB friends have told me they would not support making the move to the BIG today knowing what they know now. Again, wishing you the best.

Reactions: HuskerDana
You forgot 2019
I said that I did this research at the end of 2018 and that 2019 was not included. I would guess that Nebrask
You forgot 2019
I told you in my post that I did this research after the 2018 distribution and that 2019 was not included. That being said I did a quick google search and it looks like NEB got around 55 mil from the BIG in 2019 and KSU got around 38 mil from the Big 12 and 7 mil from its teir 3 money for a total of 45 mil in 2019. So I was pretty close to say that NEB will catch up to KSU in about 3 to 4 years. Again KSU is a really small school with one of the lowest teir 3 money in the Big 12.

Reactions: huskerfan66

KSU
2010 = 12.4 mil
2011 = 15.2 mil
2012 = 25.5 mil
2013 = 27.2 mil
2014 = 28.6 mil
2015 = 31.3 mil
2016 = 35.4 mil
2017 = 40.2 mil
2018 = 44.4 mil
Total = $260.20

NEBRASKA
2010 = 3.4 mil
2011 = 14.3 mil
2012 = 15.4 mil
2013 = 16.5 mil
2014 = 18.7 mil
2015 = 23.1 mil
2016 = 26.0 mil
2017 = 50.6 mil
2018 = 53.4 mil
Total = $221.4 mil
The part that's missing from your analysis is the investment ownership Nebraska now has in the BTN. That's the reason Nebraska was given a lower share of the media revenue pie in the first years. So you'd have to add in that hidden piece to have an apples to apples comparison. Unless you think things like BTN have zero market value, that's the missing piece.

The part that's missing from your analysis is the investment ownership Nebraska now has in the BTN. That's the reason Nebraska was given a lower share of the media revenue pie in the first years. So you'd have to add in that hidden piece to have an apples to apples comparison. Unless you think things like BTN have zero market value, that's the missing piece.

exactly. Are there two of these threads? I thought I told him that already

Not sure how much of the 10 billion dollars from the big ten academic alliance is funneled to Nebraska for research (each year), but it might be enough to make tv money for athletics irrelevant. Yes we got into the conference via football/sports, but we will probably never leave due to the big ten academic alliance $$$$.

Reactions: TFrazier
You guys are delusional!!!! and don't understand money!!! or how true investments work!!!! or how your conference payout works!!!! Its not worth my time anymore to educate you so I am gone. Hope you have a good season next year. Maybe I will check back in then when you are playing football again. I could be wrong but in my limited time reading about the BIG I can't find any BIG fans or schools who give a $hit about Nebraska. What a great conference to be in. Kind of like Missouri in the SEC. No long time SEC fan gives a $hit about Missouri and wish they weren't in the conference. I know 1st hand because my wife went to a SEC school and we go to games.

When discussing revenues and comparing conference distributions, people seem blind to the reality that a university is an academic institution with disciplines that also generate revenues.

You guys are delusional!!!! and don't understand money!!! or how true investments work!!!! or how your conference payout works!!!! Its not worth my time anymore to educate you so I am gone. Hope you have a good season next year. Maybe I will check back in then when you are playing football again. I could be wrong but in my limited time reading about the BIG I can't find any BIG fans or schools who give a $hit about Nebraska. What a great conference to be in. Kind of like Missouri in the SEC. No long time SEC fan gives a $hit about Missouri and wish they weren't in the conference. I know 1st hand because my wife went to a SEC school and we go to games.
Nobody is or was arguing how much the other B1G members "care" about Nebraska, just talking the financial numbers. But on the other hand I guess some people here must really miss that "love" Texas was always sending Nebraska's way in the Big 12.

You'll be missed.

Reactions: tone1017

KSU
2010 = 12.4 mil
2011 = 15.2 mil
2012 = 25.5 mil
2013 = 27.2 mil
2014 = 28.6 mil
2015 = 31.3 mil
2016 = 35.4 mil
2017 = 40.2 mil
2018 = 44.4 mil
Total = $260.20

NEBRASKA
2010 = 3.4 mil
2011 = 14.3 mil
2012 = 15.4 mil
2013 = 16.5 mil
2014 = 18.7 mil
2015 = 23.1 mil
2016 = 26.0 mil
2017 = 50.6 mil
2018 = 53.4 mil
Total = $221.4 mil

Did the BIG12 have a scale where teams in TV received more $$$ than those who weren’t? Just curious how that plays into this.

You should use more exclamation points next time!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then people will better understand your apples to orangutans money comparisons!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye, Felicia!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don’t come back, dipstick.

This is rich. We're delusional? So your wife is from the $EC AND you go to games. AND you're here begging us to go back to the big 12.

Nebraska took no loans from the B1G and paid their way in right up front

We took reduced league payments...BY OUR CHOOSING...for six years to purchase our share into BTN.

2017 is the first year Nebraska got/took full payout, we are fully square paid-in-full members

Your companion means nothing, do your homework before spouting nonsense

This is rich. We're delusional? So your wife is from the $EC AND you go to games. AND you're here begging us to go back to the big 12.
You are right on several points. My wife and I have been going to Big 12 and SEC games every year since 1986. I do think the NEB fan base is delusional. We also have some delusional KSU on our message board. You are wrong about one thing. I had always respected NEB when they were in the Big 12. The NEB vs Oklahoma game was always a classic and I looked forward to watching every year on TV. As stated in an earlier post I have been to every KSU vs NEB game (home and away)since 1986 and I live 1200 miles away from Manhattan. I have alot of NEB fans that are friends of mine and in some ways I always considered NEB my 2nd favorite team. Where you are wrong is that I would NEVER want NEB back in the Big 12. You made your bed and now you have to sleep with BIG schools that don't like you or could care less about you. It's to bad because I still remembet and respect NEB for what they accomplished. What NEB accomplished in football in the 90's was incredible. Some of the best teams I have ever seen. I apologize for any negative comments that I wrote and would like to wish you the best.

We took reduced league payments...BY OUR CHOOSING...for six years to purchase our share into BTN.

2017 is the first year Nebraska got/took full payout, we are fully square paid-in-full members

I did my homework. The numbers are the numbers and anybody can research them on their own. The numbers don't lie. Long term the move to BIG may be a great financial success and I am glad that all your fans are enjoying the BIG conference so much more.

That's all in the past. Presently the big ten is burning down its athletic programs do you wanna be a part of that or not? If not and you wanna play sports the only choice is to leave.

We're not living in the same country that we were 8 months ago. A second civil war is on the horizon. I expect this time next year no ones gonna be playing sports because we're gonna be fighting that's the sport... so you may as well take advantage of the opportunity this year

tenor.gif

You guys have never been a fit in the big ten. Neither is Maryland or my home state university Rutgers. Of course their football programs are atrocious. I have no idea what Nebraska is doing in the b10 they should have left yesterday. Iowa should seriously consider doing the same

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT