ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska fans are overreacting

BigNUFan51

Walk On
Nov 29, 2015
Some of you need to come to grips that football-even if played is not going to be like it was before.

No fans in the stands, watered down schedule, sloppy play due to reduced practice time, health risk for student athletes, health risk for coaches, health risk for student body, wasted year of eligibility.

Money aside the doctors don’t think there is a safe way to do this right now. If that’s the case why is it even a decision?

Ok. Let’s just stay in our lane, collect our check and continue to be one of the least appreciated teams in the glorified B10 conference. Count me in as thrilled with that!

a member of the most prestigious athletic conference in college sports. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: CatColumbia
all professional sports are operational with some minor difficulties.
power 5 schools have no reason not to try.

are the same schools that voted against a season going to have class in session this fall...?
if you cant play football, you certainly shouldnt be jamming kids in classes.

since when is this a professional sport? Pro sports leagues are collectively bargaining safety protocols with Players.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Ok. Let’s just stay in our lane, collect our check and continue to be one of the least appreciated teams in the glorified B10 conference. Count me in as thrilled with that!

The question is, what is the check going to look like?

If the Big 10 can pay all of its members the same despite not showing any football games on TV, then Nebraska should shut up.

I don't think the Big 10 will be able to pay most of their money this year. Why would Disney and Fox pay the Big 10? Why would advertisers pay Disney and Fox?

a member of the most prestigious athletic conference in college sports. Nothing wrong with that.
is that you Desmond Howard? Seriously though how ironic is it that in the title you say we are over reacting, yet you proceed to tell us that sports are not going to be like how they were before... life will get back to normal, and I agree if you plan on having classes why can a football game not be played, hell for that even let’s go back to the whole conference only scheduling, what’s the difference between playing a team like Rutgers vs one of the Dakotas where the Rona virus isn’t as crazy there? I’m not saying the threat of COVID is made up or minimal for that matter, heck I work in the public health sector, I know the risks and deal with it first hand... what I am saying is if there are any over reactions it’s by the conference itself... I see non problem with fans or administration being disappointed in a lost season, I see no issue with a coach that is concerned about putting his players through two seasons worth of football in under a year. What I see a problem with is conference leadership continuing to kick the Can down the road, just call it what it is cancel the season stop pretending we will have a spring season because we won’t, and let the teams take on their own risk if they can put something together for the year.... but I definitely don’t see an over reaction by stating that the kids are safer in the structured environment that is provided by The university during the season

since when is this a professional sport? Pro sports leagues are collectively bargaining safety protocols with Players.
the power 5 are near to professional sports as you can get.
but let me put it another way.
3 other power 5 conferences are going to have a season.
i guess the reality is that most of the states that b1g schools reside in have some of the worst covid-19 mortality rates.

is that you Desmond Howard? Seriously though how ironic is it that in the title you say we are over reacting, yet you proceed to tell us that sports are not going to be like how they were before... life will get back to normal, and I agree if you plan on having classes why can a football game not be played, hell for that even let’s go back to the whole conference only scheduling, what’s the difference between playing a team like Rutgers vs one of the Dakotas where the Rona virus isn’t as crazy there? I’m not saying the threat of COVID is made up or minimal for that matter, heck I work in the public health sector, I know the risks and deal with it first hand... what I am saying is if there are any over reactions it’s by the conference itself... I see non problem with fans or administration being disappointed in a lost season, I see no issue with a coach that is concerned about putting his players through two seasons worth of football in under a year. What I see a problem with is conference leadership continuing to kick the Can down the road, just call it what it is cancel the season stop pretending we will have a spring season because we won’t, and let the teams take on their own risk if they can put something together for the year.... but I definitely don’t see an over reaction by stating that the kids are safer in the structured environment that is provided by The university during the season

Nebraska needs the Big Ten more than the Big Ten needs Nebraska.

Nebraska needs the Big Ten more than the Big Ten needs Nebraska.
Agreed Desmond, I even stated that much yesterday on here but I’ll take your response further, we don’t need the Big ten as much as we need that revenue from the Big 10 we can still get into other conferences ... but it’s nice that that’s what you fall back on instead of refuting any of the other claims... this is a childish rebuke of any of the things I mentioned...

“yea but you need my ball to play so I’m going home” :rolleyes:

Why would anyone take umbrage at the reaction of NU fans? Why would anyone be insulted if NU “explores alternatives”? What is the Big Ten afraid will happen? What are you afraid is going to happen?

What the Big Ten should be concerned about is how foolish they are going to look if the other P5 conferences complete their seasons. The Big Ten should be concerned about the long term competitive impact to their member football programs should competing leagues play their Fall season; have championships and bowl games; and then have the Spring and Summer off, while their members are trying to figure out how to play a football game, 2 basketball games, a volleyball game, baseball game, wrestling match, and a golf tournament in the snow all on the same weekend in February. That is a far worse light than anything Scott Frost can shine. The Big Ten should also be afraid of being labeled hypocrites for ignoring health and training risks for ALL Fall athletes by piling two seasons within less than a year.

Bur go ahead, pile on Nebraska fans for being angry with this result.

Ok Wilbon. We’re so sorry us Nebraska Hicks like to think outside the box. We’ll stick to pedophilia, sexual assault, and racists comments to appease our B1G overlords.

How much money has Nebraska made as a result of the joining the Big Ten?

BiG TeN should have waited longer to see how this all played out before cancelling. Definite short term damage here versus those conferences that are at least trying.

I don’t mind Frost’s approach. We aren’t leaving the conference of course. But I think it sends a message to both our players and our future recruits.

Why would anyone take umbrage at the reaction of NU fans? Why would anyone be insulted if NU “explores alternatives”? What is the Big Ten afraid will happen? What are you afraid is going to happen?

What the Big Ten should be concerned about is how foolish they are going to look if the other P5 conferences complete their seasons. The Big Ten should be concerned about the long term competitive impact to their member football programs should competing leagues play their Fall season; have championships and bowl games; and then have the Spring and Summer off, while their members are trying to figure out how to play a football game, 2 basketball games, a volleyball game, baseball game, wrestling match, and a golf tournament in the snow all on the same weekend in February. That is a far worse light than anything Scott Frost can shine. The Big Ten should also be afraid of being labeled hypocrites for ignoring health and training risks for ALL Fall athletes by piling two seasons within less than a year.

Bur go ahead, pile on Nebraska fans for being angry with this result.

The Big Ten is the most powerful conference in collegiate athletics. They aren’t worried about anything.

I would be saddened If our players, coaches, administration, and fans reacted any different to this situation than they have.

Huskers football means EVERYTHING to this state.

Which is way protecting the players and coaches is so important. A COVID outbreak could set the program back years.

Which is way protecting the players and coaches is so important. A COVID outbreak could set the program back years.
more like set them back 14 days, which ironically is the same time period for isolation... Canceling a whole season on the other hand sets a program back years

you have to look at the larger picture here, by canceling the whole season you forfeited a whole year‘s income which by your own admittance is a large paycheck within the Big Ten, where as if you play and happen to have an outbreak you still get paid but may have two to maybe 4 games tops that you can’t play, yes that hurts but you can still survive that depending on what games are missed... look what COVID has already done before the canceling, we have already had to delay the construction of the new facility to ensure we have the funds to cover other areas in the budget... now you’re going to take away a whole years income from our biggest asset? Yea no that sets us back way more then what an outbreak will

Last edited:
I completely disagree - a complete widespread outbreak in the team would set us back a month at most. I'm pretty sure that Clemson and Alabama had a big issue within their team already, and guess what, they are ready to play. In-addition, their players know what 'having COVID' actually means at this point so guess what else, they aren't scared of contracting it now either.

The Big Ten is the most powerful conference in collegiate athletics. They aren’t worried about anything.

How are you measuring power in this case?

But assume, for the sake of argument, that’s true. They should be concerned that this “Power” they posses will spring a leak if they bungle this decision.

Hubris is a terminal condition when it comes to Power.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Some of you need to come to grips that football-even if played is not going to be like it was before.

No fans in the stands, watered down schedule, sloppy play due to reduced practice time, health risk for student athletes, health risk for coaches, health risk for student body, wasted year of eligibility.

Money aside the doctors don’t think there is a safe way to do this right now. If that’s the case why is it even a decision?
tenor.gif

I also just have to say that the reaction of Desmond Howard, the NW fan that started this thread, and others, is more than a little ironic.

Some might call it an “overreaction”.
oh he came across as a flat out whiny little b***h that got his feelings hurt way too easy, it was pathetic, it’s why I keep referring to this NW poster as Desmond as well, both are acting like pompous pr**ks... like we owe them just for being in the BIG10

There can be fans, schedule didn't seem all that watered down to me, used to sloppy play, how significant of a health risk is it to the student athlete / coaches / student body, not a wasted year if you get in a good number of games.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The fact is, college football isn't like it was in the 90's and won't be in the future. We no longer play with a fullback, active man front, wingback or players going both ways. We as fans are going to need to adapt. Now should Nebraska, tOSU, PSU and who ever wants to attempt to play football if the deem safe?? I think so as long as they realize that they are still bound by BIG affiliation and contracts. In other words tv revenue etc is owned by BIG and distributed as per contracts. Nebraska chose to sign up for BIG perks nine years ago. Legally they are bound to hold up there end of the agreement. I believe those conversations are going on right now. Maybe nothing will come out of it, but you never no.

Well I see a lot of you are victims of misinformation with regards to the danger of this virus.

Once Biden and Kamala take over they will educate the rural parts of our nation on this serious public health issue.

Well I see a lot of you are victims of misinformation with regards to the danger of this virus.

Once Biden and Kamala take over they will educate the rural parts of our nation on this serious public health issue.

What do you think is a bigger health risk for college football players... concussions or COVID?

um again I feel the need to remind you I work in public health I’m very well versed on the issues at hand with this virus... have dealt with it now head on for a while... but keep pumping yourself up... the virus is serious and it’s real but a season can still be played

but I definitely don’t see an over reaction by stating that the kids are safer in the structured environment that is provided by The university during the season

This was never the "real" reason. B1G provided that even in cancellation. 20 hours a week in practice/film/meetings. No reason to expect Husker medical staff wouldn't be involved as they have been this whole time.

If the lone goal is simply a structured environment, mission has been accomplished.

Reactions: Seascout3
I also just have to say that the reaction of Desmond Howard, the NW fan that started this thread, and others, is more than a little ironic.

Some might call it an “overreaction”.
Desmond needs to have a brain scan for to many helmet to helmet hits. A sports reporter he’s not

ADVERTISEMENT