ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska defensive scheme & what they are looking for?

Reditus

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 20, 2019
I'm old and we have had so many defensive scheme changes over the past 7 years that I don't actually know for sure what Nebraska's defensive approach is anymore. I don't think I have ever seen an article or post that tells me what Nebraska actually does for base defensive alignment and what body types we target for certain positions so I would like some input.

I know we run 3-4 base but does our current defensive scheme/players align according to strong side vs weak side or boundary vs field? OR is it a mix of both depending upon position/level? And if so what is it?

For instance I think we play interchangeable safeties rather than free vs strong but I think we have boundary/field corners. Would like to know if DB's play right side vs left if the ball is in the middle of the field or do they matchup to personnel when that happens or does formation come into play. Same kind of questions apply to the OLB's/ILBs?

I think for our base 3-4 we 2-gap the nose but 1 gap everything else?

Knowing the philosophy would also help me understand their goals in recruiting body types too for OLB's. For instance at one time we were recruiting dog LB's and Cat LB's for Diaco and elephants and Pesos under other coaches. I know this staff likes tall OLB's but do they try and get a cover guy to go with a rush guy or do they shoot for interchangeable OLB's? (I feel like I have a good idea at what coaches are doing for recruiting profiles for DB,DL and ILB.)

Ever since we went to the 3-4 I haven’t thought much of it but it sure matters if you have the personal to run this scheme which we haven’t to this point..

Looking forward what Chins can do with this shorten season..

This is an important year for Chins to show he can hang in the B1G. I’m not saying he’s had an easy path with personnel, but year 3 seems like the time to put the pieces together and make it work. There are a lot of talented players on that side of the ball.

As for the OP question, I’m not exactly sure but I think he wants to have flexibility in alignments/schemes and personnel to be able to “attack” from different angles. However, they also said in the spring they were going to slow down the install process and focus more on the basics.

I just don't ever see us getting pressure with Stille at end. Love the kid, but never see him around the QB. That kid from Miami was awesome last night.

I just don't ever see us getting pressure with Stille at end. Love the kid, but never see him around the QB. That kid from Miami was awesome last night.
That's actually his strong suit. He's even worse against the run. I hope either Stille steps it up or we find somebody else to takeover that spot.

That's actually his strong suit. He's even worse against the run. I hope either Stille steps it up or we find somebody else to takeover that spot.
Yep. Stille and Thomas are both pretty good pass rushing DE’s, for a 3-4, as were the Davis twins. Problem is that is a a bonus in the 3-4, you need long run stuffing guys there and neither fits that mold. Hopefully Ty Robinson can be that guy. The inability of any OLB to get to the QB has been a huge issue.

Last edited:
Yep. Stille and Thomas are both pretty good pass rushing DE’s, for a 3-4, as were the Davis twins. Problem is that is a a bonus in the 3-4, you need long run stuffing guys there and neither fits that mold. Hopefully Ty Robinson can be that guy. The inability of any OLB to get to the QB has been a huge issue.
And it will continue to be an issue. The 3-4 is predicated on having elite talent at NT and OLB. Hard to identify that coming out of high school so there will be a lot of misses in recruiting at those positions.

Does Wisconsin have elite nose play? Weren't they starting the kid from Lincoln?

Scheme, takeaway emphasis, and body types are huge talking points, but if you really want to simplify things: Nebraska wants a defense that can hurry the QB without blitzing multiple guys.

Last edited:
Does Wisconsin have elite nose play? Weren't they starting the kid from Lincoln?

He started by default and injury, but he will be a back up behind Keanu Benton going forward. Keep in mind Nash Hutmacher was very much a top priority for Wisconsin as their 2020 Nose. They target high school wrestlers to play at the nose.

I do think Benton is going to be a star for Wisconsin though.

Reactions: cubsker
Linebacker play has been our biggest weakness since we joined the B10...David and Compton really only two worth mentioning. David of course maybe the best in Neb history. But overall we have had a lot of duds and transfers.

3 down linemen are there to eat blocks. ILB should be tackling machines. OLB need to get pressure on the QB. CB we like them taller and play boundary.

Overall IMO Chin has not done a good job here. I have pointed out multiple times our alignment has been dreadful. To be fair to him he isn't working with much but we are now stacking in some solid young players. This year we have a veteran defense besides DL. I would rather play some younger kids as I am tired of seeing some of these SR botch plays and just aren't that good of players.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Still hoping to get some answers to my questions.........

Are our corners the only players to play boundary/field?
When the ball is in the middle of the field do they then align by formation, stick right side/vs left side or align by personnel?

The OLB's and ILB's align by formation?
When you have an even formation, I have the same type questions..do they align by boundary/field, stick right side/left side or align by personnel?

Do they or will they flop our DE's sometimes?

Am I correct in assuming our safeties are interchangeable and are not free/strong or dictated by boundary?

Linebacker play has been our biggest weakness since we joined the B10...David and Compton really only two worth mentioning. David of course maybe the best in Neb history. But overall we have had a lot of duds and transfers.

3 down linemen are there to eat blocks. ILB should be tackling machines. OLB need to get pressure on the QB. CB we like them taller and play boundary.

Overall IMO Chin has not done a good job here. I have pointed out multiple times our alignment has been dreadful. To be fair to him he isn't working with much but we are now stacking in some solid young players. This year we have a veteran defense besides DL. I would rather play some younger kids as I am tired of seeing some of these SR botch plays and just aren't that good of players.

I haven’t seen a Husker LB with the ability to affect a game like Farley. Heads above anyone we’ve had as an impact player at LB.

I haven’t seen a Husker LB with the ability to affect a game like Farley. Heads above anyone we’ve had as an impact player at LB.

Yes you have. Terrell Farley is one of the more overrated players in Husker history. He was basically a Safety given the freedom to play near the line of scrimmage while opponents tried to figure out how to block Grant Wistrom, the Peter Brothers, and Jared Tomich. Farley was a great athlete, but his ability in Husker lore is greatly exaggerated. In reality, he was barely the 5th or 6th best player on the 95 defense.

Yes you have. Terrell Farley is one of the more overrated players in Husker history. He was basically a Safety given the freedom to play near the line of scrimmage while opponents tried to figure out how to block Grant Wistrom, the Peter Brothers, and Jared Tomich. Farley was a great athlete, but his ability in Husker lore is greatly exaggerated. In reality, he was barely the 5th or 6th best player on the 95 defense.
it all starts up front.
we need to improve on both sides.

I'm old and we have had so many defensive scheme changes over the past 7 years that I don't actually know for sure what Nebraska's defensive approach is anymore. I don't think I have ever seen an article or post that tells me what Nebraska actually does for base defensive alignment and what body types we target for certain positions so I would like some input.

I know we run 3-4 base but does our current defensive scheme/players align according to strong side vs weak side or boundary vs field? OR is it a mix of both depending upon position/level? And if so what is it?

For instance I think we play interchangeable safeties rather than free vs strong but I think we have boundary/field corners. Would like to know if DB's play right side vs left if the ball is in the middle of the field or do they matchup to personnel when that happens or does formation come into play. Same kind of questions apply to the OLB's/ILBs?

Knowing the philosophy would also help me understand their goals in recruiting body types too for OLB's. For instance at one time we were recruiting dog LB's and Cat LB's for Diaco and elephants and Pesos under other coaches. I know this staff likes tall OLB's but do they try and get a cover guy to go with a rush guy or do they shoot for interchangeable OLB's? (I feel like I have a good idea at what coaches are doing for recruiting profiles for DB,DL and ILB.)
I don't know all the ins and outs of how the want to achieve it. They want to disrupt, attack and create turnovers. Being aggressive means we are prone to those big play scores. In theory it also means we get some take aways and give our offense another chance to score.
We have not been able to do any of those things mentioned above. His D is not designed to hold teams, make them plot slowly down the field, and keep the game score low. I would be shocked if we see a Frost/ Chin D keep most teams under 25.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

Nope

Thise guys were great up front but you have to have sn extinct to make the plays he did. Not just show up.

It was like because of the plays he made not just sitting back cleaning up easy tackles.

That's ridiculous He was spectacular on 96 before getting suspended. It hurt not having him against Texas.

Reactions: Crazyhole
I think the response given about length is true, but also the #1 trait is speed.

Since this is an aggressive defense, they want speed to the football.

I also think they want guys who can catch the ball. We need even more interceptions & turnovers.

Our D is also more about finesse than raw strength or power. Iowa and Wisc will run the ball right at us. How successful that will be, we will find out.

Reactions: scarletred
Nope

Thise guys were great up front but you have to have sn extinct to make the plays he did. Not just show up.

It was like because of the plays he made not just sitting back cleaning up easy tackles.

That's ridiculous He was spectacular on 96 before getting suspended. It hurt not having him against Texas.

In '96, he was able to play besides Wistrom, Tomich, Steve Warren, Jason Peter, and a newbie named Mike Rucker. Oh... and behind him were dudes like Mike Brown, Mike Minter, and Eric Warfield.

I think the response given about length is true, but also the #1 trait is speed.

Since this is an aggressive defense, they want speed to the football.

I also think they want guys who can catch the ball. We need even more interceptions & turnovers.

Our D is also more about finesse than raw strength or power. Iowa and Wisc will run the ball right at us. How successful that will be, we will find out.

I‘m anticipating our strength has greatly improved now that were in the 3rd year strength and conditioning with Duval and Frost..

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I‘m anticipating our strength has greatly improved now that were in the 3rd year strength and conditioning with Duval and Frost..
oh I'm sure it has, but I was talking in general terms about traits.. we want guys who can get there fast and make turnovers.. but we aren't built to stop a team with a big offensive line and a string of big bruising backs. We're likely prone to that run game this year, until we see how that front 7 handles it. We should handle the opponents passing game fine.

In '96, he was able to play besides Wistrom, Tomich, Steve Warren, Jason Peter, and a newbie named Mike Rucker. Oh... and behind him were dudes like Mike Brown, Mike Minter, and Eric Warfield.
You might be the only husker fan I've ever heard say that Farley wasn't that good. It's like saying Tommie wasn't that good because he was surrounded by talent.

Absolutely....imo, he's by far the best OLB NU has ever had.

David, Broderick Thomas, Trev Alberts, Travis Hill, Demario Williams all were better. Farley was a good player, but some of his big plays were the result of smart play calling and being surrounded by exceptional players. People forget he rotated with Jamal Williams who had similar speed/skills. Tewilliger also played more run defense than Farley.

David, Broderick Thomas, Trev Alberts, Travis Hill, Demario Williams all were better. Farley was a good player, but some of his big plays were the result of smart play calling and being surrounded by exceptional players. People forget he rotated with Jamal Williams who had similar speed/skills. Tewilliger also played more run defense than Farley.
Demorrio Williams’ 2003 season is arguably the best ever

Haha.....well, let's agree to disagree. All those guys you mention were damn good! But T. Farley had that insane TMart acceleration.

So good you forgot his name was Jamel, not Jamal.

Farley was a freak athlete and we'll never know what he ceiling might have been because he couldn't just get a ride home when he was wasted. Who knows what else he did before he ran out of forgiveness from T.O. and the Unity Council. You had to screw up quite a lot in those days to get dismissed.

Reactions: hedonistimpulse

Look at the stats. Watch the film. I can't remember the number, but Farley scored how many points as a LB in how many games? The guy was the literal definition of a playmaker. INTs returned for TDs, fumbles returned for TDs, blocked kicks returned for TDs, blocked kicks for safeties. The stats don't even capture it because think of how many games we played where they took care of business by halftime. And then the safety they took away from him in the championship game. And the pick-six he should have had earlier in that game.

When our starting boundary OLB is slower than most 4-3 DE, it's a tweener mismatch.

Reactions: Crazyhole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT