ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska center jumps higher than most of the O skill players

Jaimes posted a video before the draft of him doing a 37 in Vertical

That is some freakish athleticism. I guess this means Cam can handle his weight. I remember that was a concern when he made the switch from TE.
I do wonder if this might be Cam's last season at NU. If his snaps continue as solid as they were in the spring game, the rest of his game just looks NFL worthy.

The best athlete at TCU in 1994 was the center who was drafted by the Raiders and started their last appearance in the SB

He was 6-3 303 lbs

Reactions: dinglefritz
Very defense-heavy list. Looks like our LBs are as advertised. Look at the new JUCO LB at 38". Surprised at some of the guys not showing up on there like CTB.

Anybody know how they are doing the testing? Is it just the old school jump and hit the sticks deal? That method can be gamed a bit depending on how they measure your reach.

Reactions: headcard
I guess I don't find this all that strange. Forty years ago if you would have lined up Irving Fryar, Jamie Williams and Tom Rathman and said, "Which guy high jumps 7 feet?" - you probably could have won a lot of bets.

Last edited:
For those who do not know how the vertical jump works and what it tests for, it tests for complete and overall body explosiveness. It means that Cam Jurgens is an absolute freak of an athlete, and exactly why Frost had him move to Center. Yes, it's a good thing.

For those who do not know how the vertical jump works and what it tests for, it tests for complete and overall body explosiveness. It means that Cam Jurgens is an absolute freak of an athlete, and exactly why Frost had him move to Center. Yes, it's a good thing.

Maybe Cam and the strength staff can work with the QBs to improve their vertical jump so they can field a higher percentage of the snaps coming their way in order to truly maximize the fruits of this genius personnel move

Maybe Cam and the strength staff can work with the QBs to improve their vertical jump so they can field a higher percentage of the snaps coming their way in order to truly maximize the fruits of this genius personnel move
I get it but

come on man. Just pick a concept that isn't such an easy cheap shot

It's pretty wild as a vertical for a dude going about 300 lbs.

Two ways you can look at the prevalence of walk-ons on that list:

1) What an indictment of scholarship kids, OMG we have no athletes, everything is bad
2) God damn, we managed to get some freak athletes basically for free

I'm a little more in Camp #2. When you remember that literally half the roster is walk-ons it shouldn't be a shock that 5/10 of the highest jumpers came to NU as walk-ons. Also don't forget that Martin was 4* WR coming out of HS.

As for the insinuation that the other guys can't jump high enough...I need context. Rather than just a team Top 10 I'd want to see where they rank for their position group all-time. I have no idea how good those leaps are other than being much much much better than I could do.

There are plenty of NFL combine all-stars who did jack squat in the league.

Aside from that it's ONE drill. By itself it means very little, I lived next door to a guy in the dorms who was my height (6 ft) had thighs like goddamn bridge cables and could jump like a rabbit. We'd go outside and play basketball and this dude could dunk. He played zero college sports.

Put it together with the other drill scores and now you have a way to measure the kind of overall athleticism you need to be an elite football player. If you can combine THAT with being smart and aggressive, you might just be a really good football player.

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
keep in mind that Jurgens WAS a skill position player a few years ago.
I think the point at which you weigh more than about 250 your days of being considered a skill position player are over. I don't know that I'd really consider TE a "skill position" either.

What's incredibly clear to me is that horrid snap issues or no, moving to C was the best way for Jurgens to get meaningful playing time and a chance to be a true impact player.

NU has been on a multi-year streak of saying the TE room was supposed to be ol' reliable and full of guys who could really help out this year. It's also on a multi-year streak of getting next to nothing out of the TE position.

People were so mad that Fant went to Iowa but look at how he got used and showcased there vs how NU TEs are a complete afterthought. He went to the NFL as a high draft pick and meanwhile NU produced UDFA Jack Stoll and a couple guys who left the program.

And that train is still rolling. Chris Hickman is on a milk carton and having his position flip-flopped, and Fidone popped a knee in his very first spring. Here we all are talking about Austin Allen like he's suddenly gonna be a real problem for defenses.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I think the point at which you weigh more than about 250 your days of being considered a skill position player are over. I don't know that I'd really consider TE a "skill position" either.

What's incredibly clear to me is that horrid snap issues or no, moving to C was the best way for Jurgens to get meaningful playing time and a chance to be a true impact player.

NU has been on a multi-year streak of saying the TE room was supposed to be ol' reliable and full of guys who could really help out this year. It's also on a multi-year streak of getting next to nothing out of the TE position.

People were so mad that Fant went to Iowa but look at how he got used and showcased there vs how NU TEs are a complete afterthought. He went to the NFL as a high draft pick and meanwhile NU produced UDFA Jack Stoll and a couple guys who left the program.

And that train is still rolling. Chris Hickman is on a milk carton and having his position flip-flopped, and Fidone popped a knee in his very first spring. Here we all are talking about Austin Allen like he's suddenly gonna be a real problem for defenses.
Okay, so I am not the only one that wonders why Austin Allen is all of a sudden a game changer.

That was a little funny and I’m sure Cam would get a chuckle out of it but it’s time to put that to rest. Doubt you would say that to Cam’s face.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Ohio States best vertical during their pro day was from a linebacker, not a WR, RB, corner, or safety. So no, I don’t care.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Ohio States best vertical during their pro day was from a linebacker, not a WR, RB, corner, or safety. So no, I don’t care.
And that linebacker will probably end up being a day one draftee. Jurgens IF he can control his snaps from here on out will go early.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT