ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Athletic Hall of Fame

I doubt Frankie was turning anything around. He should have never been the head man, and a MAC school was his ceiling.
Respectfully disagree… Osborne had every right to pick his successor when the kitchen sink wasn’t broken it didn’t need to be fixed..

Respectfully disagree… Osborne had every right to pick his successor when the kitchen sink wasn’t broken it didn’t need to be fixed..
It's ok to disagree. I don't think TO should have had any input and should have just let Byrne pick his successor, but just my opinion. I wasn't ever a Frankie guy as the head man. Just didn't think he had what it takes.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
It's ok to disagree. I don't think TO should have had any input and should have just let Byrne pick his successor, but just my opinion. I wasn't ever a Frankie guy as the head man. Just didn't think he had what it takes.
Reason why I think this is Nebraska was 60-3 the past 4 years.. That what I meant about the sink not being broke..

Reason why I think this is Nebraska was 60-3 the past 4 years.. That what I meant about the sink not being broke..
Yeah, but to me that is short-sighted thinking. I get that aspect of it, but what also killed Frankie was an aging coaching staff and there probably was some rub with him getting the job. Continuity is great, but Frankie should have made some coaching changes a lot earlier. The recruiting game really started to change around that time frame and we got caught with our pants down. Devaney and TO built a machine, but times changed and Frankie was slow to react and it cost him.

It's kind of like the quote on What about Bob. There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who love Neil Diamond (Frankie) and those who don't. My ex-wife loved him.

Reactions: Anegada1
It's kind of like the quote on What about Bob. There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who love Neil Diamond (Frankie) and those who don't. My ex-wife loved him.
On a September Morn, If You Know What I Mean.

She was a Kentucky Woman, but You Don't Bring Her Flowers Anymore.

You knew If You Go Away, it would be Love On The Rocks.

You chose Forever In Blue Jeans.

I Am I Said, A Solitary Man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskerfan2112
Yeah, but to me that is short-sighted thinking. I get that aspect of it, but what also killed Frankie was an aging coaching staff and there probably was some rub with him getting the job. Continuity is great, but Frankie should have made some coaching changes a lot earlier. The recruiting game really started to change around that time frame and we got caught with our pants down. Devaney and TO built a machine, but times changed and Frankie was slow to react and it cost him.
I think there were more disgruntled people on Devaney staff that wanted the job over TO.. Warren Powers for one and Monte Kiffen too.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I didn’t realize Frank Solich is being inducted in this most recent Nebraska Athletic Hall of Fame class. Winking

I’m with you, I felt tom Should have let Frank take the head coaching job at another school similar to what terry petti did with John cook. Go prove yourself then come back. I almost think Tom knew Frank wasn’t the best but he figured if everyone stayed together everything would keep going at a high level that’s just my opinion

E
I think there were more disgruntled people on Devaney staff that wanted the job over TO.. Warren Powers for one and Monte Kiffen too.
Everybody on that staff knew that Frank was getting the job as promised. Powers and Kiffin both thought they had a legit shot at the gig when Devaney retired and were openly pissed that they didn't.

I’m with you, I felt tom Should have let Frank take the head coaching job at another school similar to what terry petti did with John cook. Go prove yourself then come back. I almost think Tom knew Frank wasn’t the best but he figured if everyone stayed together everything would keep going at a high level that’s just my opinion
Frank had been offered the Minnesota job and Tom talked him out of taking it promising to retire and hand over the reins. In hindsight, it was maybe the worst thing he could have done. He could have easily replaced Frank and THEN when Tom retired a real search might have called Frank back. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Some of the firing was Frank's fault too. He was openly hostile to Pederson's advice on recruiting and refused to let Tom help him try to fix some of the issues. I had some deep connections to the staff at the time and I was told that Tom was trying to offer play suggestions from his box and Frank would have none of it. The one time he listened it resulted in a game winning TD pass against Missouri in Columbia.

Sigh. Who knows if things would have been better if we had retained Frank? Maybe he was fired a year too late? Maybe a year too early? As much as Pelini was able to cobble together some wins, he had no business being the head coach at NU. He was underqualified and no better fit than Callahan was.

Reactions: Baxter48
Frank had been offered the Minnesota job and Tom talked him out of taking it promising to retire and hand over the reins. In hindsight, it was maybe the worst thing he could have done. He could have easily replaced Frank and THEN when Tom retired a real search might have called Frank back. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Some of the firing was Frank's fault too. He was openly hostile to Pederson's advice on recruiting and refused to let Tom help him try to fix some of the issues. I had some deep connections to the staff at the time and I was told that Tom was trying to offer play suggestions from his box and Frank would have none of it. The one time he listened it resulted in a game winning TD pass against Missouri in Columbia.

Sigh. Who knows if things would have been better if we had retained Frank? Maybe he was fired a year too late? Maybe a year too early? As much as Pelini was able to cobble together some wins, he had no business being the head coach at NU. He was underqualified and no better fit than Callahan was.
Interesting. Hadn't heard about TO trying to help

Plus the strain and stress of the 1993-1997 seasons really "aged " that staff alot. They did a lot of clinics for other colleges as well as writing books. They were "all in" and they reaped the benefits but there wasn't much more to achieve after 3 national championships in 4 years and could have been 5 for 5.

Not uncommon to get burned out and just want to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Comes a time when long recruiting trips aren't all that enjoyable either.

Just my opinion.

When Frank did make the coaching staff changes Pederson had already made up his mind that solich was gonna get canned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT