ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska at # 25

You're assuming old style again. You mention bluebloods, yet our attrition rates are,or were extreme, along with bad coaching.
Every coach has to start with something, and SF running off a LB or two didn't mean squat in the bigger picture.
Our depth by experience is mainly gone due to the previous mismanagement,plus roster moves made earlier weren't right as well.
Looking back at ucf and Oregon, they had world class speed on their rosters, it simply wasnt here, and no, I dont expect every offense or defense to use the same players, which many coaches do use, but fall short in these systems.
I know I wont convince you, but just dont forget what I'm saying now. We are on the cusp, but we are extremely young and inexperienced. We had holes to fill, most bluebloods dont. The systems excel with certain abilities and body types,we had very few.
First class was very late, very few actually fit right, hung tough and worked hard to stay. So, asking 40 freshmen to be half of your two deep on top of that will help towards the end of the season mostly,where our schedule is toughest.

all of this was true going into the 2019 season when I'm sure you, along with almost everyone else, discerned the staff had enough talent to win 8 or so games and have a major breakthrough

the narrative had to be quickly altered as the season played out to put as much blame on the current players as possible

Last edited:
all of this was true going into the 2019 season when I'm sure you, along with almost everyone else, discerned the staff had enough talent to win 8 or so games and have a major breakthrough

the narrative had to be quickly altered as the season played out to put as much blame on the current players as possible
The very man who picked Nebraska for the #25 spot this thread is referencing, Bill Connelly, had Nebraska finishing at 6.8 wins in 2019, so I wouldn't say "almost everyone else" had Nebraska making a major breakthrough last year. Nebraska disappointed last year as they failed to win the 6-7 games the analytics suggested they would preseason, but perhaps you had your expectations set beyond reality?

The very man who picked Nebraska for the #25 spot this thread is referencing, Bill Connelly, had Nebraska finishing at 6.8 wins in 2019, so I wouldn't say "almost everyone else" had Nebraska making a major breakthrough last year. Nebraska disappointed last year as they failed to win the 6-7 games the analytics suggested they would preseason, but perhaps you had your expectations set beyond reality?

go back and look at the preseason predictions last year on this board

Vegas had the O/U at 8 to 8.5. - I’ll bet Northwood who incessantly preaches how poor the talent was now predicted right around 8 wins

Vegas had the O/U at 8 to 8.5. - I’ll bet Northwood who incessantly preaches how poor the talent was now predicted right around 8 wins
I thought they could win 8. Disappointed in basically every facet, from coaching to execution.

While we’re calling people out, what was your prediction?

Reactions: SkerInCo

Bill Connelly, the guy that this thread is referencing, picked Nebraska at 6.8 based on a series of analytics that's research and data driven. Vegas is always a great conversation piece, but their sole intention is to guide people into placing losing bets, so unless you bet the under, like Connelly would have because that's what the numbers predicted, Vegas would have succeeded in getting you to fall in line with those people who fail to research their wagers.

Vegas picked Iowa at 7.5 wins last year, Connelly had them preseason #25. Connelly had Wisconsin at #14, Vegas had them at 8 wins. You're using the wrong information, bud.

Reactions: headcard
I thought they could win 8. Disappointed in basically every facet, from coaching to execution.

my prediction was with high level coaching we win/contend for the division.

I was clearly wrong - I’m not spouting on, after the results, about how these year 2 results shouldn’t be surprising based on the talent - the same talent, mind you that was present at the beginning of the season

none of us (certainly me) know shit about the talent level we have - we haven’t been to practices, seen conditioning, broken down coaches film, etc, etc

The only people who have evaluated the above - and are paid millions to do so - are the coaches. So when the head coach who is infinitely more informed about the status of his team makes statements about how a team who finished the first season 4-2 is better at every position and how in year 2 we are going to contend for the division - I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he is looking at, that he knows how to evaluate talent rather than just running his mouth with foolishness when a microphone is put in front of him.

There is no one better to assess how the team will perform than the head coach - so by that measure year 2 was a massive underachievement

I’ll continue to let the win-loss record speak for itself.

fair or not ... in life, football there is a scoreboard .... you shouldn’t run from it

I wish I could remember who said that

Bill Connelly, the guy that this thread is referencing, picked Nebraska at 6.8 based on a series of analytics that's research and data driven. Vegas is always a great conversation piece, but their sole intention is to guide people into placing losing bets, so unless you bet the under, like Connelly would have because that's what the numbers predicted, Vegas would have succeeded in getting you to fall in line with those people who fail to research their wagers.

Vegas picked Iowa at 7.5 wins last year, Connelly had them preseason #25. Connelly had Wisconsin at #14, Vegas had them at 8 wins. You're using the wrong information, bud.

your boy, Bill Connelly, basically says we are fu$&ed - his analysis says the most improvement comes in year 2 with a new coach but not much after that

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...6/12/27/14088090/new-college-football-coaches

your boy, Bill Connelly, basically says we are fu$&ed - his analysis says the most improvement comes in year 2 with a new coach but not much after that

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...6/12/27/14088090/new-college-football-coaches
He also has us at #25 this next year...see the thread title.

If you don't understand the difference between trends and absolutes, you're not going to do well with analytics.

That aside, have you ever heard of confirmation bias and its effect on research?

I was clearly wrong - I’m not spouting on, after the results, about how these year 2 results shouldn’t be surprising based on the talent - the same talent, mind you that was present at the beginning of the season

none of us (certainly me) know shit about the talent level we have - we haven’t been to practices, seen conditioning, broken down coaches film, etc, etc

The only people who have evaluated the above - and are paid millions to do so - are the coaches. So when the head coach who is infinitely more informed about the status of his team makes statements about how a team who finished the first season 4-2 is better at every position and how in year 2 we are going to contend for the division - I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he is looking at, that he knows how to evaluate talent rather than just running his mouth with foolishness when a microphone is put in front of him.

There is no one better to assess how the team will perform than the head coach - so by that measure year 2 was a massive underachievement

fair or not ... in life, football there is a scoreboard .... you shouldn’t run from it

You’ll continue to let the win-loss record speak for itself? Or you’ll continue throwing it in anyone’s face you possibly can?

Sorry you took the bait so hard you swallowed the hook. We all know Frost is the first ever head coach to say positive things in the press about his young team.

As for running one’s mouth with foolishness whenever the opportunity presents itself, I will yield to your proven expertise on the topic.

You were wrong, I was wrong, many were wrong about 2019. Get over it and move on.

Last edited:
You’ll continue to let the win-loss record speak for itself? Or you’ll continue throwing it in anyone’s face you possibly can?

Sorry you took the bait so hard you swallowed the hook. We all know Frost is the first ever head coach to say positive things in the press about his young team.

As for running one’s mouth with foolishness whenever the opportunity presents itself, I will yield to your proven expertise on the topic.

Quick to call folks out, quicker to dodge the same questions when volleyed back your way. Thanks again for your double-talk.

Apologies .. you are correct ... anytime I get too riled up like this it is always comforting for me to go back to when Frost was first hired and read the preponderance of cautionary posts about how we will likely be well into year 4 before anyone in their right minds could expect Frost to have more wins than Riley did in his 3 years. I mean everyone tried to warn me not to get to excited, or expect to qualify for a bowl until at least year 3 if that.

If only I had listened as it was being screamed from the mountain top that it might be a while before we could expect a winning season

again, sincere apologies for not heeding the wisdom that predicted this from the day of the hire and then reemphasized once again prior to the 2019 season

everyone saw this coming but me, it was so obvious

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Apologies .. you are correct ... anytime I get too riled up like this it is always comforting for me to go back to when Frost was first hired and read the preponderance of cautionary posts about how we will likely be well into year 4 before anyone in their right minds could expect Frost to have more wins than Riley did in his 3 years. I mean everyone tried to warn me not to get to excited, or expect to qualify for a bowl until at least year 3 if that.

If only I had listened as it was being screamed from the mountain top that it might be a while before we could expect a winning season

again, sincere apologies for not heeding the wisdom that predicted this from the day of the hire and then reemphasized once again prior to the 2019 season

no, you're right. nobody saw it coming. everyone's disappointed. everyone wanted it to be different last year. nobody knows anything. everyone watches the same games. everyone counts all the losses. nobody is happy with Frost's first 2 years.

I just don't quite get why you can't get past it. we're all in the same boat, man. your butt just seems quite a bit more hurt, especially by Frost's comments, than anyone else's. so much so that you don't go 3 posts without bringing up the comments, his woeful record or his G5 background. they happened. the losses have happened. more will happen, hopefully at a much lesser clip, but they'll happen. we'll either keep Frost and he proves successful or we won't and do it all over again.

hope will always spring eternal for fans. always. why is that such a crime?

You seem like a really angry person. Don't take what Frost says so personally. You seem like he lied to your face.

Maybe he just over estimated what he had?

Either way, just breath. Breath in, hold........breath out. Everything will be OK.

no, you're right. nobody saw it coming. everyone's disappointed. everyone wanted it to be different last year. nobody knows anything. everyone watches the same games. everyone counts all the losses. nobody is happy with Frost's first 2 years.

I just don't quite get why you can't get past it. we're all in the same boat, man. your butt just seems quite a bit more hurt, especially by Frost's comments, than anyone else's. so much so that you don't go 3 posts without bringing up the comments, his woeful record or his G5 background. they happened. the losses have happened. more will happen, hopefully at a much lesser clip, but they'll happen. we'll either keep Frost and he proves successful or we won't and do it all over again.

hope will always spring eternal for fans. always. why is that such a crime?
Amen

Life does go on. I have not seen one post talking about current happenings with the program. New recruits, coaching changes, position battles. Nope its all about the 2019 season that everyone was disappointed in. I have no issue with talking about it but it seems it is bought up in multiple threads over and over again.

People just need to move on. I am a life long Chiefs fan. They won the superbowl. First time in my lifetime. Heck of a party on Superbowl Sunday. But ya know what. Come Monday morning I woke up bright and early and went to work.

Amen

Life does go on. I have not seen one post talking about current happenings with the program. New recruits, coaching changes, position battles. Nope its all about the 2019 season that everyone was disappointed in. I have no issue with talking about it but it seems it is bought up in multiple threads over and over again.

People just need to move on. I am a life long Chiefs fan. They won the superbowl. First time in my lifetime. Heck of a party on Superbowl Sunday. But ya know what. Come Monday morning I woke up bright and early and went to work.
everyone grieves in their own way. wins will heal a lot of wounds that have been festering for 2 decades.

I don't want to tell anyone what to post, but sometimes talking about things helps.

as pitchers & catchers report, it's a good time to remember everyone's 0-0 the second that last whistle blows.

You seem like a really angry person. Don't take what Frost says so personally. You seem like he lied to your face.

Maybe he just over estimated what he had?

Either way, just breath. Breath in, hold........breath out. Everything will be OK.

not at all .. it is fascinating and a little amusing how people are so terrified at the slightest possibility that the emperor might not have clothes

images

Last edited:

Now, the devils always in the details. Only one year of SnC for our two new linemen, using a fullback only ever doing fullback things, no recievers stepping up and our qb having multiple injuries shot that down quick, add in Mo leaving, opponents offenses scouting our LBs etc etc.
If our two O linemen came in ready, if Mo didnt go through what he went through, if Warner hadnt gotten hurt, if two other wrs had stepped up, then yes, we would have won most of our close games, and eight would have been had.
Now, at rb, did we get any answers from last year? Not really. At wideout? Hopefully Warners healthy all year.
At LB? Maybe we can get guys to fill and cover, plus set the edge.

All these things are still holes until they arent, the difference is, next year, we actually have bodies to fill them, plus, the O line should be solid to start, no learning curve.
Still, likely half the guys are from MR, not quite the athletic level or body type, but continuity will fix much of this.
If our young guys get, and get it early, and are as advertised, yes, make your claims, but dont assume two staffs didn't get alot out of our guys as being this staffs shortfalls, they dont snap the ball, wherever it lands, catch the ball, no ones open, cover over the middle and get beat, never fill a hole, 2 yd gain becomes 6-7 etc.
Theyve got guys now, and the defense will expand what it can do now, same for the offense. If you need speed at a position but dont have it, it doesn't make you a bad coach, nor does it make those guys bad players, they simply can't do what they need to do.
Year one,Ziggy busted off huge runs, Mo had a few too, but that was our speed at rb, not the coaches fault, but the new guys are even faster, that is the coaches fault.

not at all .. it is fascinating and a little amusing how people are terrified at the slightest possibility that the emperor might not have clothes

images
Terrified? It's just odd that that's how you interpret any discussion that doesn't jibe with your version of reality. Personally, I think you'll move the target and continue to act smugly superior to everyone else around here no matter what the football team does next season.

Terrified? It's just odd that that's how you interpret any discussion that doesn't jibe with your version of reality. Personally, I think you'll move the target and continue to act smugly superior to everyone else around here no matter what the football team does next season.

as you can see all one has to do is simply post the record 9-15

and it spawns 3+ pages of pontifications on why 9-15 isn’t really 9-15.

Needs a little kindling every once in while but usually builds up to a roaring fire

7c6xg44li9921.jpg

the bar is eventually better than what Bo was able to produce that most agree wasn’t good enough. I have said before that I think the bar will eventually be lowered to about Iowa level - with maybe an eventual conf title

The 4+ pages here as well as the multi page threads elsewhere argue otherwise.
You mean the discussion of Nebraska football that exists on a Nebraska football discussion board? Said discussion being a constant analysis of our losing seasons, coaching strife and prospects for the future? Yeah, I can see where you could twist that into feeding your narrative that you're the only person on the board who "gets it".

You mean the discussion of Nebraska football that exists on a Nebraska football discussion board? Said discussion being a constant analysis of our losing seasons, coaching strife and prospects for the future? Yeah, I can see where you could twist that into feeding your narrative that you're the only person on the board who "gets it".

nah. We are all husker fans ... perhaps you and I will end up sharing a drink during one of the wild celebrations that are sure to ensue should we win 6 or 7 games next year.

Needs a little kindling every once in while but usually builds up to a roaring fire

7c6xg44li9921.jpg
Not at all. If you dont see the plan, and go on business as usual because Nebraska, not our fault

7c6xg44li9921.jpg
Riley = Win now or lose your job
Frost = Build a championship program

You think the expectations and results can be evaluated strictly on the scoreboard, but your viewpoint is superficial. It's akin to telling a kid he can make more money in the next four years if he drops out of med school and works at the local factory...and you'd be absolutely right and your understanding of long-term income potential would be as equally misguided as your understanding of long-term success or failure is in terms of building a football program.

I'm not implying that Frost chose to lose games, but he likely could have started POB and changed his offensive system to hold the ball to win a couple of extra games in year one and could have burned everyone's RS and likely won a couple more games in year two, but instead he chose to establish an offensive identity and give 6/7ths of his first non-transition recruiting class an extra year of development. Crucify him for his decision to play the long-game, but it's the right play.

not at all .. it is fascinating and a little amusing how people are so terrified at the slightest possibility that the emperor might not have clothes

images

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Not at all. If you dont see the plan, and go on business as usual because Nebraska, not our fault

I wish all of us could have seen the plan that was so obvious to you from the start

"Been saying 8 (wins) since late winter, without Green and Daniels and Noa and Mills"

8 NorthwoodHusker, Aug 13, 2019

"Not sure about winning the west, but we finished last half of our schedule winning 2/3rds average.
We replace the mich schools with indy and the terps, everybody else we play is at home except minny.

This isnt our year, but it is our year to make a major statement."

5 NorthwoodHusker, Aug 13, 2019

Last edited:

Put some Gold Bond on your hind end. It’ll make you feel better. It’s refreshing.

nah. We are all husker fans ... perhaps you and I will end up sharing a drink during one of the wild celebrations that are sure to ensue should we win 6 or 7 games next year.
This is perfect. Like I said above, no matter how the season goes you'll be smugly critical of how anyone reacts to it. This dooshy post proves it.

images

You literally said Frost was out running his mouth. That is a fairly visceral comment.

Of course people are terrified that our emperor may have no clothes. That would mean we have no hope to get better. That should terrify everyone. Why would you get off on feeding into that and playing off those fears?

You have some deep seeded issues.

You literally said Frost was out running his mouth. That is a fairly visceral comment.

Of course people are terrified that our emperor may have no clothes. That would mean we have no hope to get better. That should terrify everyone. Why would you get off on feeding into that and playing off those fears?

a1461f_53970743f9ef45eeabc52b0fa9c503c3~mv2.png

Reactions: egaRdeR

if people or a state put that much value into whether or not their most favoritist team can somehow rise above the juggernauts that are Purdue or Indiana then I'm not the one with deep seeded issues

Reactions: Hoosker Du

You weren’t far off, blew double digit leads three times. There were eight we could have had, just didn’t get it done. Certainly don’t owe anyone an apology for predicting it.

Last edited:
You weren’t far off, blew double digit leads three times. There were eight we could have had, just didn’t get it done. Certainly don’t owe anyone an apology for it.
not apologizing & not lashing out like the school bully just told me santa isn't real, either.

it is what it is. hopefully the staff learn, the new guys help and players mature enough to take advantage of opportunities they've missed the last 2 years.

not apologizing & not lashing out like the school bully just told me santa isn't real, either.

it is what it is. hopefully the staff learn, the new guys help and players mature enough to take advantage of opportunities they've missed the last 2 years.
It was a reasonable prediction, the fact that it didn’t come to fruition sucks. But the backlash and vitriol toward anyone that predicted it is silly. Like the people predicting 8 wins bit on a flea flicker or couldn’t kick a FG.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT