ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska at # 25

This kind of stuff takes the joy out of being a Husker fan for me. We can never be unheralded, no matter how bad we were the previous year. We always end up going through the hype-failure-paper tiger cycle.

This kind of stuff takes the joy out of being a Husker fan for me. We can never be unheralded, no matter how bad we were the previous year. We always end up going through the hype-failure-paper tiger cycle.

finishing 5th and then 6th in a 7 team division are failures irregardless of the hype that preceded said seasons

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I think Husker fans should step back a moment and realize that this is coming from outside the fanbase, outside the direct fishbowl.

This is what ESPN is saying, and so while you may want to lower each others expectations, that is not what the thinking is nationally, or at least over at ESPN.

I'm ok with the ESPN ranking, and if you're the type of fan who is trying to set the bar low, then you are no friend of the program as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
jlb321, Ohio St is in Columbus in 2020..

yes - my post was meant to indicate that we had penn st at home not both OSU and PSU

The “them” was meant to refer to PSU only - I can see why it wasn’t clear

thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: scarletred
yes - my post was meant to indicate that we had penn st at home not both OSU and PSU

The “them” was meant to refer to PSU only - I can see why it wasn’t clear

thanks for clarifying.
Oh, and if we go two of three against minny wiscy and iowa, if that puts us at 9-3, one of those wins is over a fcs team. Still, likely not good enough for top twentyfive.

Oh, and if we go two of three against minny wiscy and iowa, if that puts us at 9-3, one of those wins is over a fcs team. Still, likely not good enough for top twentyfive.

9-3 would be a great accomplishment next year regardless of the ranking and I will tout the team and staff accordingly.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
9-3 would be a great accomplishment regardless of the ranking and I will tout the team and staff accordingly.
giphy.gif

2 P5 teams finished at 9-4 this year and closed inside the top 18 in the final polls.

9 wins in the B1G is a top 25 team every year.

Reactions: bigredhunter
finishing 5th and then 6th in a 7 team division are failures irregardless of the hype that preceded said seasons
Right. Things are bad enough without people trying to pump air into a balloon full of holes.

9-3 would be a great accomplishment next year regardless of the ranking and I will tout the team and staff accordingly.
But thats a maybe at 25,which you said you expect. But, going through your two of three and losing to osu and psu, thats 9-3, but really only 8-3 in fbs, and still likely not a 25 rated team, like you expect.

Right. Things are bad enough without people trying to pump air into a balloon full of holes.
Who are these "people" that you refer to? The guy ESPN hired to put out content? Nebraska fans that are discussing that content? If it all disappeared today and you were left by yourself with ZERO discussion of the upcoming season, would that be better for you?

The reality is, there are WAY more negative "people" (whoever they are) on the topic of Nebraska football, than the other way around. So feel good about that.

Who are these "people" that you refer to? The guy ESPN hired to put out content? Nebraska fans that are discussing that content? If it all disappeared today and you were left by yourself with ZERO discussion of the upcoming season, would that be better for you?

The reality is, there are WAY more negative "people" (whoever they are) on the topic of Nebraska football, than the other way around. So feel good about that.
So you are "negative" if you don't think they should be ranked. Got it.

So you are "negative" if you don't think they should be ranked. Got it.
Nah, your "pumping air into a balloon full of holes" comment didn't come off as negative at all. Just own it. There's plenty of history to make you negative, don't feel guilty about it.

Nah, your "pumping air into a balloon full of holes" comment didn't come off as negative at all. Just own it. There's plenty of history to make you negative, don't feel guilty about it.
I don't. I'm also not deeply ashamed of being somewhat skeptical coming off consecutive losing seasons. And of not wanting to see anyone needlessly putting my team on a pedestal it hasn't shown it deserves. But whatever gets you through the winter, I guess.

Its more possible this coming year than the start of last year, by quite a bit.
Just too many ifs, even if those ifs are fewer than last year.

We've solved our starting rb, still no depth. Weve cemented two wrs, but who's going to be the other wide outs?
We've solved the O line, but not the LBs, the D line will be ok, not likely as good. D backs, solved, TEs solved/better.
Not as much to shore up, but still too many ifs.

Just curious but would you rather being see things like, " Nebraska to suck again" "Nebraska will be lucky to win 5 games" "Nebraska has no hope" "Nebraska destine for the bottom again" That would give you more joy? Really? I mean if positivity takes the joy out of being a Husker fan what the point?

We've solved our starting rb, still no depth. Weve cemented two wrs, but who's going to be the other wide outs?
We've solved the O line, but not the LBs, the D line will be ok, not likely as good. D backs, solved, TEs solved/better.
Honestly If we had a kicking game and competent QB last year. I would almost guarantee just those 2 things would have won us 2 or 3 more games easily.

But thats a maybe at 25,which you said you expect. But, going through your two of three and losing to osu and psu, thats 9-3, but really only 8-3 in fbs, and still likely not a 25 rated team, like you expect.

I don't expect this team to be top 25

my top 25 mention was in reference to what a blue blood program who hired what ultimately proved to be a top level coach should expect by year 3. In modern college football every blue blood program with a high level or near high level coach managed at least a single elite season within the first 3 years. A single season that barely sees you eek into the top 25 would represent an underperformance compared to what should be peer programs.

I will give you that we know who the starting RB will be, but I don't know that any of the other groups you mentioned are "solved".

I will give you that we know who the starting RB will be, but I don't know that any of the other groups you mentioned are "solved".
Whatever "solved" means, I definitely think the O-line made a lot of progress last year. I'm planning on that area being a strength next season.

I don't expect this team to be top 25

my top 25 mention was in reference to what a blue blood program who hired what ultimately proved to be a top level coach should expect by year 3. In modern college football every blue blood program with an elite or near elite coach managed at least a single elite season within the first 3 years. A single season that barely sees you eek into the top 25 would represent an underperformance compared to what should be peer programs.
You're assuming old style again. You mention bluebloods, yet our attrition rates are,or were extreme, along with bad coaching.
Every coach has to start with something, and SF running off a LB or two didn't mean squat in the bigger picture.
Our depth by experience is mainly gone due to the previous mismanagement,plus roster moves made earlier weren't right as well.
Looking back at ucf and Oregon, they had world class speed on their rosters, it simply wasnt here, and no, I dont expect every offense or defense to use the same players, which many coaches do use, but fall short in these systems.
I know I wont convince you, but just dont forget what I'm saying now. We are on the cusp, but we are extremely young and inexperienced. We had holes to fill, most bluebloods dont. The systems excel with certain abilities and body types,we had very few.
First class was very late, very few actually fit right, hung tough and worked hard to stay. So, asking 40 freshmen to be half of your two deep on top of that will help towards the end of the season mostly,where our schedule is toughest.

TEs are solved, no holes, no dropoffs, have started and can play. Go by that, it then explains itself.
If you know who we have on our roster, it'll make sense.
The O line, plenty of experience returning, but, it doesnt mean all returners will start, but solved in the its best man up, you get beat out,you get beat out, but if not, still covered.
Last year,we had two new guys with no real experience on the O line.
Same at rb, one guy used sparingly, other three, unknowns. On down the line.

Looks about right. Will prob. make it into the 15 range or so before reality sets in second half of season.
Could happen, but the other side could happen as well. Look at Minnesota just this past year. They start out the year 5-0 playing nobody tough. They get momentum and start destroying teams, Nebraska included. They knock off 4th ranked Penn State in a home game to get to 9-0. Yes, they go on to lose 2 of their last 3, but they competed pretty well, pick up a bowl win because of momentum.

I'm not going to project a huge season for Nebraska, but it's not out of the question.

Also, solved by simply knowing what we have coming back, not that hard to figure out.
I doesnt mean its us at our best, but we can work with it.
Alex Davis position wasnt solved until much of the season had passed, he could do much of what we asked him to do.
Same for Mills, Hixon and CJ. Our backers just to fill our base never truly was solved, we couldnt cover in some areas, seal in others, fill in others, but some like JoJo could be used, but he's more a package guy, which we had little to actually use last year, at least we have bodies this year, and several are athletes.
Much of what they want to do on D they couldn't even do because we didn't have the guys, but still unsolved until those new guys can show they can do it.

Just curious but would you rather being see things like, " Nebraska to suck again" "Nebraska will be lucky to win 5 games" "Nebraska has no hope" "Nebraska destine for the bottom again" That would give you more joy? Really? I mean if positivity takes the joy out of being a Husker fan what the point?
It's not that positivity takes the joy out of being a Husker fan. I regret getting all caffeinated and salty and getting on here. It has just been a long 20 years of getting my hopes built up, then shot down. I didn't mean to pee in anyone's Cheerios. I was just saying what I felt, not trying to tell anyone else how to think.

It's not that positivity takes the joy out of being a Husker fan. I regret getting all caffeinated and salty and getting on here. It has just been a long 20 years of getting my hopes built up, then shot down. I didn't mean to pee in anyone's Cheerios. I was just saying what I felt, not trying to tell anyone else how to think.
Sorta expect 7-5, then if it looks better early on, chug some koolaid then.

I'm hoping to win enough games so Frost's 3 year record will at least come close to Riley's - I don't think he gets to 10-2 which is what it would take to tie Riley

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT