ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska at # 25

It’s starting already, don’t fall for it, then if we go 7-5 this board will be in meltdown mode because of the high expectations

I love the Huskers, but that is a joke. Nebraska won’t be anywhere near a top 25 team this season (hope I can eat some crow this fall).

dear lord let’s go .500 sometime again in my lifetime before being considered for top 25

Looks about right. Will prob. make it into the 15 range or so before reality sets in second half of season.

why can't we beat ranked teams?

they shouldn't be afraid of anyone and should be able to compete with every team in front of us. we aren't purdue for gods sake.

Did I say “We can’t beat ranked teams”?

This is the year Nebraska needs to beat some rated teams...They should have the attitude of nothing to lose and everything to gain...

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Need to go by the schedule that is in front of us possibly half on the schedule will be ranked and not SF 3rd year in Lincoln.

Ohio state and maybe penn state (we have them at home) are the only teams that should give us pause in year 3

We are in a power 5 conference - There are always going to be other good teams on the schedule. Many of those conf teams get highly ranked because we are in the habit of contributing to their wins total every year.

why can't we beat ranked teams?

they shouldn't be afraid of anyone and should be able to compete with every team in front of us. we aren't purdue for gods sake.

So out of that post you somehow got they are afraid of ranked teams? Assuming the "they" you are referring to is the team.

Ohio state and maybe penn state (we have them at home) are the only teams that should give us pause in year 3

We are in a power 5 conference - There are always going to be other good teams on the schedule. Many of those conf teams get highly ranked because we are in the habit of contributing to their wins total every year.

We need to beat Wisconsin and Iowa first and foremost in my opinion for us to play in the CCG...

So out of that post you somehow got they are afraid of ranked teams? Assuming the "they" you are referring to is the team.
he said we have to look at the schedule in front, on which half the teams may be ranked.

what else should I have taken from it? a schedule full of ranked teams precludes us from also being ranked?

he said we have to look at the schedule in front, on which half the teams may be ranked.

what else should I have taken from it? a schedule full of ranked teams precludes us from also being ranked?

Who is the "they" you are referring to?

If you guys can stop wringing your hands long enough, you should actually go read the full piece from ESPN. This is not a talking head, opinion based ranking. It's one guy's SP+ ranking that is analytics/stats based. And he has some successful prediction history backing him up. Guess what his rankings thought about Nebraska last year in the traditional polls? Way over ranked. He was spot-on last year on both Texas and Nebraska.

I don't know if we'll win this year or not, but when we do there's a decent chance that it's not incremental, but could be a major one-year leap. I like what he was to say and it's not just hype, or at least that's not how he arrives at his rankings.
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...+-college-football-rankings-alabama-back-no-1

If you guys can stop wringing your hands long enough, you should actually go read the full piece from ESPN. This is not a talking head, opinion based ranking. It's one guy's SP+ ranking that is analytics/stats based. And he has some successful prediction history backing him up. Guess what his rankings thought about Nebraska last year? Way over ranked. He was spot-on last year on both Texas and Nebraska.

I don't know if we'll win this year or not, but when we do there's a decent chance that it's not incremental, but could be a major one-year leap. I like what he was to say and it's not just hype, or at least that's not how he arrives at his rankings.
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...+-college-football-rankings-alabama-back-no-1

STOP WITH THE HYPE! we can't have this sunshine pumping!

Reactions: OzzyLvr and mgbreis
STOP WITH THE HYPE! we can't have this sunshine pumping!
I'm probably gonna get mad next season when we're 7-0 and everyone is still saying the same thing. We have damn good reason as a fan base to be negative.

Every team every year could come up with excuses as to why they could struggle. Nebraska fans have become to accustom to finding excuses. Yes, we are a blue blood p5 program, we consistently recruits in the top 20. We have plenty of money, fan support, and facilities to compete with anyone in the country. There is zero reason or excuses that we shouldn't be able to beat a ranked team or beat lesser teams like Iowa, Purdue, Maryland, Illinois, NW even Wisc more years than not. Bo F-in Pelini was able to beat most of those teams more often than not and he is an average to below average coach. Time to start winning.

Last edited:
If you guys can stop wringing your hands long enough, you should actually go read the full piece from ESPN. This is not a talking head, opinion based ranking. It's one guy's SP+ ranking that is analytics/stats based. And he has some successful prediction history backing him up. Guess what his rankings thought about Nebraska last year in the traditional polls? Way over ranked. He was spot-on last year on both Texas and Nebraska.

I do agree with this. Most if not all the hype from last year was from local and national media. They go to a few practices and think they know everything. However the analytics and numbers guys last year weren't nearly as high on us and most had us in that 5-7 win range. Hell even our own AD was saying 6-6. We desperately wanted success last year, we chose to follow our hearts and ignored the guys using stats, and numbers telling us not so fast.

I agree, every team every year could come up with excuses as to why they could struggle. Nebraska fans have become to accustom to finding excuses. Yes, we are a blue blood p5 program, we consistently recruits in the top 20. We have plenty of money, fan support, and facilities to compete with anyone in the country. There is zero reason or excuses that we shouldn't be able to beat a ranked team or beat lesser teams like Iowa, Purdue, Maryland, Illinois, NW even Wisc more years than not. Bo F-in Pelini was able to beat most of those teams more often than not and he is an average to below average coach. Time to start winning.

Losing seasons 4 of the last 5 years will do that to expectations, especially the last 2 when none of thought SF would struggle the way that he has..

A lot had to do with Riley’s soft culture for 3 years that put SF staff behind with strength and conditioning...

agree .. and in year 3, if we have the coach we all thought we did, we should start winning these games.

go 2-1 - against Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin
We do,we will,we just might.
But, 9-3 good enough for top 25? I'm not saying we will go 9-3, but we are either very young, or very inexperienced, unlike any Nebraska coach has ever been, no matter who it was.

20 upper classmen on scholly, few guys non redshirt first two years, I bet we are one of the youngest teams in football.

Reactions: scarletred
But, 9-3 good enough for top 25? I'm not saying we will go 9-3, but we are either very young, or very inexperienced, unlike any Nebraska coach has ever been, no matter who it was.

20 upper classmen on scholly, few guys non redshirt first two years, I bet we are one of the youngest teams in football.
Wasn't MN one of the youngest last year too? Last year they had 15 seniors 18 juniors. This year we have 17 seniors and 30 juniors.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63

we have almost our entire starting offense back (ranked 5th in the conference) for a coach who's plan for winning games rests on his offense
+ we add the 3rd ranked WR class in the nation

time to win or we may need to consider that our coach’s recipe for success isn’t suited for big ten football.

Last edited:
we have almost our entire offense back, for a coach who's plan for winning games rests on his offense
+ we add 3rd ranked WR class in the nation

time to win

many have pointed to Ferentz, Alvarez, Dabo etc with year 4 break throughs - I hope year 3 gets us to within site of these type of seasons

reminder - Ferentz year 4 -- top 10 team ( year 5 and 6 with top 10 teams as well)
Alvarez year 4 -- rose bowl -- top 10
Dabo year 4 -- top 10

that is the bar many of the most ardent Frost supporters have set when citing the above coaches in their rebuilds - year 4 will be here soon
Yep, this year we need to see a good step forward taken. 7 wins at a min. Then year 4 is the year, if Frost is the right guy, we should see this really take off 10 win season and a conf championship. Much of the data I have came across says that if a coach doesn't win at min their division by year 4 the odds to win a conf championship drops significantly and odds to win a NC drop, with that team, to almost 0

Last edited:
Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Wasn't MN one of the youngest last year too? Last year they had 15 seniors 18 juniors. This year we have 17 seniors and 30 juniors.
Yea, Fleck used all his young guys early, and he's a year ahead of SF, so, their 30 juniors will be our 30 or whatever sophs in 2021, being one year off, plus redshirts.

Reactions: husker2612
we have almost our entire starting offense back (ranked 5th in the conference) for a coach who's plan for winning games rests on his offense
+ we add the 3rd ranked WR class in the nation

time to win or we may need to consider that our coach’s recipe for success isn’t suited for big ten football.
Right, and besides Wandale and JD, we dont have any returning wrs averaging one catch a game, and only other than Warner, just one more with one catch.
Add in all frosh rbs behind Mills.
Name any Nebraska coach with this young of a team? Just one, ever, all time?
Time to win yes, but be rated with this schedule? Now, name a Nebraska coach who's had this tough of schedule?
Your 'but we are Nebraska ' shtick isn't very well thought out.

Right, and besides Wandale and JD, we dont have any returning wrs averaging one catch a game, and only other than Warner, just one more with one catch.
Time to win yes, but be rated with this schedule? Now, name a Nebraska coach who's had this tough of schedule?
what does schedule have to do with pre-season ranking?

I’d agree with all of this except Nebraska first year in the B1G with Pelini...

At Wisconsin
Ohio St
At Minnesota
Michigan St
Northwestern
At Penn St
At Michigan
iowa

Also played Washington in non conference..

Reactions: OzzyLvr

we had the 5th ranked offense in the BIG with the current players - almost all of which return

there should be a big improvement in the offense - Add in the #3 ranked WR class in the nation - a position that shouldn’t need redshirts to produce

and I’ll remind you that Iowa’s true freshman RB sure looked good against us last year - we should be able to get production beyond mills.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT