ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska/Ark St O/U 47.5

SWIowahawks

Senior
Sep 2, 2006
So I'm in a pool where you pick five games each week. O/U's or ATS. My eyes popped open when I saw that the O/U for the Nebraska game was only 47.5. What am I missing? Might Nebraska score that on their own?

Cool story bro, but Nebraska lost me a couple hundred bucks against Purdue. I won the other four games and thought for sure Nebraska would win big.

So I'm in a pool where you pick five games each week. O/U's or ATS. My eyes popped open when I saw that the O/U for the Nebraska game was only 47.5. What am I missing? Might Nebraska score that on their own?

Cool story bro, but Nebraska lost me a couple hundred bucks against Purdue. I won the other four games and thought for sure Nebraska would win big.
It'll be a blowout, but 48 points? I can't see it being that bad.

Whatever Sybil...

And Iowa sucks!

It'll be a blowout, but 48 points? I can't see it being that bad.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the O/U the total points scored by both teams? So basically it's saying that the score combined would be around 47.5 (31-16 or something like that). Seems slightly low, but maybe they're expecting a slow start from our offense with new QB, receivers, etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the O/U the total points scored by both teams? So basically it's saying that the score combined would be around 47.5 (31-16 or something like that). Seems slightly low, but maybe they're expecting a slow start from our offense with new QB, receivers, etc...
What does Arkansas St have coming back? They gave up a lot of yards last year.

I'm clueless when it comes to betting. Never placed a bet in my life, so now I feel silly.

Thanks for the gentle correction. :)

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
The one thing that astounds me about Vegas is how often they are close to the O/U number.

Consider this:

Nebraska has played 10 games vs Sun Belt teams since 2004. The average scoring margin in those ten games was 42.1 to 5.9. I'm not a mathematician, but I believe that's pretty damn close to 47.

The one thing that astounds me about Vegas is how often they are close to the O/U number.

Consider this:

Nebraska has played 10 games vs Sun Belt teams since 2004. The average scoring margin in those ten games was 42.1 to 5.9. I'm not a mathematician, but I believe that's pretty damn close to 47.
Yeah, basically, if we score below the average, its the under, if we meet or exceed the average, it is the over.

I'd take the over. I think we may have a few breakdowns on defense early allowing them to get 14-17 points. I think our offense will get 35-38 points.

IMO the total is low......I think Nebraska wins in the ballpark of 38-24 42-24

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I think we'll run the ball a lot Saturday. They have a good d line and lead their conference in sacks and tackles for loss. The way to thwart this is to run straight at them and throw quick screens when you do drop back. The clock will run and it will be a short game. They are also replacing some of their O line so I don't think they will score a lot. I'm leaning towards betting the under.

Reactions: SWIowahawks

Consider this:

Looks like a bet for the over then. :)

Arkansas State to me looks like a slightly weaker version of last years Illinois squad.

The Illinois game last year ended up at 31-16 (47 points).

Defesively the two teams are very similar, offensively Illinois' trio of Lunt/ Vaughn/Dudek was better than what ASU has but that gets offset by our new schemes. And Illinois had better depth and roleplayer talent than ASU (expecially on offense)

If this was week 3 I'd say take the over and don't sweat it.. as the opener, I wouldn't touch that number.

I think we'll run the ball a lot Saturday. They have a good d line and lead their conference in sacks and tackles for loss. The way to thwart this is to run straight at them and throw quick screens when you do drop back. The clock will run and it will be a short game. They are also replacing some of their O line so I don't think they will score a lot. I'm leaning towards betting the under.

You should go back and look at how many of those studs from their defensive front 7 are now gone.

If Dee Liner, who's fighting a groin injury, doesn't play, Arkansas State will only have one returning starter among their 5 offensive linemen and defensive front 7.

Now compare those matchups to Nebraska. One can justifiably argue how The Huskers could encounter growing pains with a new defensive scheme and a new QB. But in this game, all of that "new blood" for Ark State is going to face a lot of experienced Big Ten personnel up front.

Freedom, Carlos, and Mick have 35+ combined starts along the Dline. Cole Conrad has never started a game at Center for the Huskers, but he still has played in 13 games and started 5 games in 2016. DJ Foster, missed most of 2016 due to the knee injury. But he returned for the final 3 starts. he has more career starts than the whole Arkansas State offensive line combined!

Here's the biggest difference between Ark State and Nebraska up front:

The Starting LT for Arkansas State is a Grad Transfer from Iowa State named Jaypee Philbert. In 2 years with the Clones, he didn't start a game. In 2016, he only saw action twice. He's basically former Husker Dwayne the Rock Johnson.

So many people taking the over.. I've gotta take the under.. as with most things, whatever it appears like on the surface, the truth is usually the opposite. UNDER!!!!

Not necessarily big betters. But typically the movement of the line indicates that the 19 was too high and vegas is trying to get more money bet on Nebraska.

The line came out like 6 weeks ago. People (a lot of them) don't start betting these games until the week of the game so the number is starting to adjust as those bets come in.

If it dips under 14, which I don't think it will, it will get hammered and be back over 14 within a few hours.

I wouldn't say it's a "bad" thing for Nebraska, it is what it is. IMO I think the movement makes sense, at -19 I'd feel more comfortable with Arky St., at -14.5 I like Nebraska. I thought the spread should have been set around -17.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT