ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska and B1G mentions in weekly D1Baseball/Baseball America chat (4/26)

Alum-Ni

Administrator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
And some other general topics.............not much NU or B1G mentions this week

TW: Love the site boys, keep up the good work. Kind of a lot of fluidity in the rankings this week. I am very concerned about the early host announcements and how this type of movement will still happen down the stretch. Is the NCAA planning to pick 25-30 host spots as eligible? Or just the necessary 16 plus a handful of alternatives?

Kendall Rogers: The NCAA will pick the 16 host sites. Period. So, theoretically, you could have a No. 2 seed hosting a regional. I think I expect that with one or two hosts, but we'll see.

======================================

Lenny: Are they announcing super sites the week of May 10, or just the hosting sites and the super sites will be of the 16 host sites. I guess what I'm asking is the only thing we're going to know the week of May 10 host sites, and will the rest of the season still be relevant in regards to attaining a national seed?

Kendall Rogers: Host sites only for regionals. But the super sites will have to come from those 16 sites, so those sites, too, essentially.

Oxford Bald Eagle: With the hosts being announced so early will we see teams tank on purpose in conference tourneys? If you know you are safely in as a 2 and no matter what you do you can't be a 1 on the road (even though somebody will) do you go two and que to get rest?

Aaron Fitt: I don't think coaches are wired to ever actively "tank"....but you may very well see some teams rest their top arms that week, sure. They'd still try to win those games, but they'd invest less pitching capital in trying to do it.

Willie M: What is Nebraska's ceiling? Could you see them hosting a regional even as a low to mid 2-seed?

Kendall Rogers: Willie -- I was just talking to a coach this morning about Nebraska, and he thought NU was the "most complete" team in the Big Ten with the most upside of any team he has seen in that league. I thought that was pretty illuminating.

Last edited:
Reactions: sklarbodds

Tim: Do we know what day this week the regional hosts will be announced?

Teddy Cahill: It's not for two more weeks. I don't know precisely when to expect it the week of May 10, but likely it will be earlier than later in the week. It's important to give the host sites as much time as possible to prepare their COVID-19 testing facilities.

==========================================

Mikey's Bar and Grill (South Bend, IN): What are the odds teams get to host a regional where fans have not been able to attend all season?

Teddy Cahill: I don't think attendance will have an impact on host site decisions. If the NCAA was concerned about maximizing attendance (and therefore money), it wouldn't be capping attendance at 50% even if local regulations allow for more. If the schools are willing to bid and take on the costs associated with hosting a regional I think that will be good enough for the selection committee.

Kendall Rogers: The NCAA will pick the 16 host sites. Period. So, theoretically, you could have a No. 2 seed hosting a regional. I think I expect that with one or two hosts, but we'll see.
Evan Bland at OWH has reported multiple times the NCAA will choose 20 sites around May 10 and trim to 16 later to allow for some flexibility. And that the schools will be notified but no public announcements will be made until the end of the season. I expect that’s all accurate.

Reactions: k9_r and Alum-Ni
Evan Bland at OWH has reported multiple times the NCAA will choose 20 sites around May 10 and trim to 16 later to allow for some flexibility. And that the schools will be notified but no public announcements will be made until the end of the season. I expect that’s all accurate.
I heard him say that on Sports Nightly and I like the 20 number and the flexibility it brings. But I didn't quite get that no public announcement thing. Seems dumb and hard to keep under wraps. That news will leak.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT