ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska’s Rivals recruiting ranking for 2022

So we have had top 20 classes 4 years in a row now.. (correct me if I'm wrong)..

Why are we not seeing results on the field? (I get that the 4th class hasn't shown up yet, so it's really 3 classes)

But the question remains..

Everyone knows where I place the blame, but I'm curious to hear your reasons..

Let those excuses, err theories flow.. get em off your chest.

If you're a stat type of guy, what are other programs results when recruiting top 20 classes the past 3-4 years.

Does the data show a turning point with the 4th class?

So we have had top 20 classes 4 years in a row now.. (correct me if I'm wrong)..

Why are we not seeing results on the field? (I get that the 4th class hasn't shown up yet, so it's really 3 classes)

But the question remains..

Everyone knows where I place the blame, but I'm curious to hear your reasons..

Let those excuses, err theories flow.. get em off your chest.

If you're a stat type of guy, what are other programs results when recruiting top 20 classes the past 3-4 years.

Does the data show a turning point with the 4th class?

“Does the data show a turning point with the 4th class?”

I have no clue who you was talking to or wanting to answer but I’ll say this much. There has never been a pandemic that’s affected college football like it did last season. So there is nothing to compare it to and go off of. Myself, I’m waiting to see how this next season goes with a normal offseason, S&C, training, spring and fall practices and etc. before saying much more. Depending how next season goes, then I’ll chime in but not after a pandemic and that mess happened.

Reactions: bshirt73
“Does the data show a turning point with the 4th class?”

I have no clue who you was talking to or wanting to answer but I’ll say this much. There has never been a pandemic that’s affected college football like it did last season. So there is nothing to compare it to and go off of. Myself, I’m waiting to see how this next season goes with a normal offseason, S&C, training, spring and fall practices and etc. before saying much more. Depending how next season goes, then I’ll chime in but not after a pandemic and that mess happened.
The question was open to anyone.. wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

So, the pandemic is one reason.. okay. I'm not convinced it is a major influencer, but it certainly qualifies as an excuse.. Wall Street has been using it quarterly for some time now, so okay.

What other things do you think are standing in the way of our success?

The question was open to anyone.. wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

So, the pandemic is one reason.. okay. I'm not convinced it is a major influencer, but it certainly qualifies as an excuse.. Wall Street has been using it quarterly for some time now, so okay.

What other things do you think are standing in the way of our success?

just being real here, anything anyone says will be chalked up as an “excuse” (even if it’s a legit reason). So I ask you this, why ask the question then? The pandemic with such a young team this early on in a rebuild does affect things a lot. That’s a lot of training and practices that got missed and hurt for development. Again, my approach, I’m waiting to see how we do after a normal offseason, training, practices and so on. Then I’ll make an actual judgment call.

Last edited:
just being real here, anything anyone says will be chalked up as an “excuse” (even if it’s a legit reason). So I ask you this, why ask the question then? The pandemic with such a young team this early on in a rebuild does affect things a lot. That’s a lot of training and practices that got missed and hurt for development. Again, my approach, I’m waiting to see how we do after a normal offseason, training, practices and so on. Then I’ll make an actual judgment call.
This is true.. I'm absolutely going to chalk things up as an excuse, but that doesn't mean they aren't legitimate reasons. I think covid is one of those.. we saw a lot of good teams have bad seasons, I'm just not sure how much it affected us per se.

I asked the question because I wanted to suspend my own narrative for a day, and entertain the rest of the boards' thoughts. It wasn't meant to be a trap, although I could see how people might think that. I appreciate the replies and being real.

Curious since you are throwing out this last year, what were your thoughts of the two years before that? Do they count in your assessment or are those thrown out too because it was so long ago?

You mention that we had a young team this year.. I have heard others say we had a young team the last 3 years too.. Maybe that is valid.. it's possible to have a young team year after year if older guys leave all the time. If that is the case, who or what is at fault and/or how to we mitigate this so that the team can get into the mode where most game day players are upperclassmen.

I'm just trying to pin down a logical set of reasons for the lack of success based on what others think.

This is true.. I'm absolutely going to chalk things up as an excuse, but that doesn't mean they aren't legitimate reasons. I think covid is one of those.. we saw a lot of good teams have bad seasons, I'm just not sure how much it affected us per se.

I asked the question because I wanted to suspend my own narrative for a day, and entertain the rest of the boards' thoughts. It wasn't meant to be a trap, although I could see how people might think that. I appreciate the replies and being real.

Curious since you are throwing out this last year, what were your thoughts of the two years before that? Do they count in your assessment or are those thrown out too because it was so long ago?

You mention that we had a young team this year.. I have heard others say we had a young team the last 3 years too.. Maybe that is valid.. it's possible to have a young team year after year if older guys leave all the time. If that is the case, who or what is at fault and/or how to we mitigate this so that the team can get into the mode where most game day players are upperclassmen.

I'm just trying to pin down a logical set of reasons for the lack of success based on what others think.

You do you my man. You watch the Husker games like I do. We all see how our Huskers play and what some of our issues are. My post, that’s what I see and what I’m doing. Unfortunately not everyone sees what I do or agrees with me (from what I seen on Twitter most Huskers fans agree with me). Everyone has their own views and opinions and that’s fine. But one thing is for sure, we have a young team but we are starting to finally get older (like on defense). Myself, I’m waiting to see how our team looks next year (like I pointed out) and then I’ll be able to make a more accurate decision and what I feel about Frost and his staff. GBR

Last edited:
So anyone else have any reasons why 3 years of recruiting hasn't shown up on the field, other than covid and youth?

So anyone else have any reasons why 3 years of recruiting hasn't shown up on the field, other than covid and youth?
there have been bright spots (defense, O-Line, Betts), but the attrition and/or failures at the skill positions, where young guys typically make the biggest difference, have killed us.

add that to the fact we have the most impotent quarterback in the conference, if not entire P5, and it's tough to draw many positives.

I fully expect to see multiple of those highly rated O-Linemen get a full season of starting under their belt this year, just as I fully expect to see a bunch of skill guys who either look totally clueless/overmatched or who can't get the ball in their hands because of who's throwing it.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
there have been bright spots (defense, O-Line, Betts), but the attrition and/or failures at the skill positions, where young guys typically make the biggest difference, have killed us.

add that to the fact we have the most impotent quarterback in the conference, if not entire P5, and it's tough to draw many positives.

I fully expect to see multiple of those highly rated O-Linemen get a full season of starting under their belt this year, just as I fully expect to see a bunch of skill guys who either look totally clueless/overmatched or who can't get the ball in their hands because of who's throwing it.

haha impotent Martinez.. poor guy

200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo

I totally agree with you, but wanted to at least examine the other side of the board's reasons for their optimism (not sure that is the right word).

I do think the defense is going to be a big bright spot next year. Those guys play as a unit. Getting a lot of them to come back will be very helpful. I hope we can get some experience to the 2nd and 3rd teams on D, so that 2022 is not a huge drop-off.

We lost some talent on D as well due to various reasons.

I totally agree with you, but wanted to at least examine the other side of the board's reasons for their optimism (not sure that is the right word).

I do think the defense is going to be a big bright spot next year. Those guys play as a unit. Getting a lot of them to come back will be very helpful. I hope we can get some experience to the 2nd and 3rd teams on D, so that 2022 is not a huge drop-off.

I'm very interested to see if/how the O-Line plays this year with at least a couple highly rated recruits starting from the jump.

I'm not very confident in Stepp being our answer at RB, but would be pleasantly surprised if any of the others took the job for themselves. we desperately need a way to get the ball out of AM's hands for at least half of our offensive snaps, if not more.

I also think Betts is our most talented WR maybe ever from a physical standpoint, so will be nice to see him take a step forward even without the ability to get the ball more than 4-6x per game.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

What talent did we lose on D? Did you mean on O?

I think we will be better across the board. Every level of defense should be better. The OL while young, is super talented. We have some very impressive guys at WR and TE. QB play is obviously the issue. While AM will probably never be a difference maker, I hope improved OL play and WR’s/TE’s that can win one on one matchups will make the offense better.

I think we will be better across the board. Every level of defense should be better. The OL while young, is super talented. We have some very impressive guys at WR and TE. QB play is obviously the issue. While AM will probably never be a difference maker, I hope improved OL play and WR’s/TE’s that can win one on one matchups will make the offense better.
didn't we lose like 4 defensive backs for various reasons?

I know we brought in some good OL talent, but unsure about the center position/TE... Betts was a bright spot this year I thought.. and he was a true freshman, so he's only going to get better.

I know we brought in some good OL talent, but unsure about the center position/TE... Betts was a bright spot this year I thought.. and he was a true freshman, so he's only going to get better.

We did lose some DB’s, which could be an issue in the future. I guess I was thinking starters/2-deep guys.

We did lose some DB’s, which could be an issue in the future. I guess I was thinking starters/2-deep guys.

we lost Bootle, that’s it. We return everyone else. D Williams, M Dismuke, Cam Taylor-Britt and the rest of the young guys behind them. We return 10 of our 11 starters on defense and 17 of our top 20 defenders. Unless you guys are talking about our backups and losing a couple to injury (B Clark, M Farmer and J Wright and last I heard it sounds like all should be good to go for spring camps)?

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo

im 100% on your side there. Our biggest issue is correcting A Martinez fumble issues. That has to be corrected or we will only see some of the same mistakes. And then our special teams (from top to bottom). The rest of your take, I 100% agree on.

im 100% on your side there. Our biggest issue is correcting A Martinez fumble issues. That has to be corrected or we will only see some of the same mistakes. And then our special teams (from top to bottom). The rest of your take, I 100% agree on.

AM is also indecisive throwing the ball downfield. Hopefully having guys like Torre, Betts and Manning can help simply things. No safety over the top throw it up, etc.

Last edited:
AM is also indecisive throwing that ball downfield. Hopefully having guys like Torre, Betts and Manning can help simply things. No safety over the top throw it up, etc.

When we go back to time when we had both Stan Morgan Jr and JD Speilman, our offense looked a lot better and ran so much smother (even with Adrain). Since we lost both, the deep ball has disappeared. If we get some decent to great WRs/TEs to help stretch the field (like Toure, Betts, Brown, Manning, Allen, Fidone and/or Martin) I have a gut feeling he will improve that deep ball some. He will no doubt have to keep working hard to improve his accuracy still. But his short to medium passes he did actually improve on (he threw for 72% and lead the BIG 10). Fingers crossed on the rest...🤞🏻

Last edited:
we lost Bootle, that’s it. We return everyone else. D Williams, M Dismuke, Cam Taylor-Britt and the rest of the young guys behind them. We return 10 of our 11 starters on defense and 17 of our top 20 defenders. Unless you guys are talking about our backups and losing a couple to injury (B Clark, M Farmer and J Wright and last I heard it sounds like all should be good to go for spring camps)?
I made a reference to it in post #92.. after this year, our defense is going to lose a lot of players, and we lost a bunch of recruits that either didn't make it here, or left on the defensive side of the ball.. many of them from Florida. In 2022, it might be 'young' again on defense because we haven't kept players around that have signed with us.

The whole premise I was talking about is why good recruiting classes aren't showing up in the wins and loss columns.

Reactions: saltsdogg
I made a reference to it in post #92.. after this year, our defense is going to lose a lot of players, and we lost a bunch of recruits that either didn't make it here, or left on the defensive side of the ball.. many of them from Florida. In 2022, it might be 'young' again on defense because we haven't kept players around that have signed with us.

The whole premise I was talking about is why good recruiting classes aren't showing up in the wins and loss columns.

Ok, I definitely understand now my man. 👌🏼 And on that note, we will lose a lot of experience after this season. I do feel good about Myles Farmer, Noa Pola-Gates and I Gifford (and then eventually Bretz) stepping into those Safety roles. As for CB, we should be fine there as well. We will need to replace Cam (maybe, if he leaves early) but we will return Q Newsome, B. Clark, N Joseph and the younger CBs coming up like M. Buford, M. Williams and others should have a chance to grow before they are truly needed. In the secondary, in my opinion, we are fine there for a years to come.

Last edited:
I don’t get why some of you guys are automatically turning that SOS comment into a Husker vs Iowa pissing match. All i was doing was trolling the Iowa fan when I said “I’d hope they get to 9 wins with the easier SOS’s Iowa plays”. That was the point of the SOS mention. Just trolling and teasing the Iowa fan. That’s it, breath my man and relax.

The other part, I’m with you. The Huskers need to do better in the head to head game, finish the job and beat these clowns already. Some how Mike Riley would find away to get blown out by Iowa while he was here. Then the last 3 seasons under Frost we have lost by back to back last second FGs and then last year we lost to them by a score (lost by a combined total of 13 points in 3 seasons). It’s time to beat them already and get over that hump. SMH

Yea u right. My post wasn't necessarily directed at you tho. Just tired of losing to them and Nebraska constantly going back to how many championships we won when them bastards have a 6 year scoreboard on us.

We should be beating them by 2 TD's and not letting it come down to the wire...

Yea u right. My post wasn't necessarily directed at you tho. Just tired of losing to them and Nebraska constantly going back to how many championships we won when them bastards have a 6 year scoreboard on us.

We should be beating them by 2 TD's and not letting it come down to the wire...

for all who seem to be getting solace from the fact that Neb has almost beat Iowa (the very definition of mediocrity) recently

in the last 6 years - Neb has never led Iowa in the 4th quarter of a game
in 4 of the last 6 years (including 2 of the last 3) - Neb has never held a lead at anytime during the game

only once in the last 6 games has Neb held a lead in the second half

Last edited:
for all who seem to be getting solace from the fact that Neb has almost beat Iowa (the very definition of mediocrity) recently

in 4 of the last 6 years (including 2 of the last 3) - Neb has never held a lead at anytime during the game

Iowa won on a last second FG in 2018 and 2019 and Nebraska had the ball, driving with a chance to win on the last possession of the game last year. It takes some serious trolling to try to spin those games as somehow not competitive. Like crazy town, obsessive, seriously removed from reality trolling.

Iowa won on a last second FG in 2018 and 2019 and Nebraska had the ball, driving with a chance to win on the last possession of the game last year. It takes some serious trolling to try to spin those games as somehow not competitive. Like crazy town, obsessive, seriously removed from reality trolling.

and as I have said - Scott Frost is well on his way to turning Neb into an Iowa like program

exhibit A is above - when super fan gets its tail feathers all ruffled about - going into year 4 no less - whether all the losses to Iowa of all programs were competitive or not

Last edited:
and as I have said - Scott Frost is well on his way to turning Neb into an Iowa like program

exhibit A is above - when super fan gets its tail feathers all ruffled about - going into year 4 no less - whether all the losses to Iowa of all programs were competitive or not
There is no doubt Iowa has been the better team the last 6 years. But you realize you are comparing Iowa to Nebraska at its' worst. And even then, it has still been pretty competitive, so what does that say about Iowa?

I don't think they are related. Completely different writing styles

They regurgitate a lot of the same talking points. The one that left just seemed like maybe he had a few more head injuries along the way.

They regurgitate a lot of the same talking points. The one that left just seemed like maybe he had a few more head injuries along the way.
For sure the one who is gone was way more confrontational, so I'm guessing that is probably why.

Anyone notice when one poster was banned another started posting way more again? Interesting.

That’s why I called them Mr Peabody and his side kick Sherman!

Whether they’re the same poster some can see both would post similar negative drivel pretending to be a Husker fan..

Reactions: headcard
“Iowa is at or near the tops in the country in INTs every single year, no matter who is back there. That’s not going to change just because they replace 3 DL. They do replace Norman at LB but Benson and Campbell played exceptional at the end of the year. Two NFL LBers mixed with a LB with an offer from OSU.

a lot of that had everything to do with Iowa’s front 7 and the pressure your DEs and Dline in general would put on opposing QBs and making them rush their throws. As of now, I don’t see the same pass rush coming from Iowa and the longer a QB can sit back there, the better the chances a WR has of beating the DBs. And like dude said, Iowa lost a lot this offseason and rarely does Kirk have to replace that much experience. We will see though.

Edited: “Then we believe Keegan Johnson is going to be too good to keep of the field. Arlan Bruce is another freshman WR that’s gonna see some PT.”

i love the way you’re high on K. Johnson. He will be a solid WR, IN TIME. But hes not on the same level as Zavier Betts and some of those type of WRs though. K. Johnson will no doubt have a solid college career. As for A. Bruce? I’m not as high on him. He barely had any power 5 offers (only Iowa and ISU offered...that’s it) and he’s more of an APB then a WR. It will be interesting to see how he does over his time at Iowa. But relying on those WRs as true freshmen? My man, that’s not going to favor Iowa. It only shows the lack of depth and talent Iowa has at WR now that those 2 NFL lvl WRs are gone if they are relying on those 2 right out of the gates.
Thanks for your thoughts. I know you and I had the same conversation a couple of times regarding replacing defensive units. The year Iowa replaced all four DL starters was one of those instances. There is plenty of talent to replace last years three losses. (Albeit, young talent). I know you like offer lists so feel free to check out John Waggoner and Deontae Craig’s. Then Yahya Black is a monster who got more playing time than Craig last year as true freshmen. I do hate that the new DL will get broken in against Indiana and ISU. That’s definitely scary.

I don’t think Iowa will be relying heavily on Johnson and Bruce. But I’m stoked about Keagan. They both have enrolled and should be further along than Betts as far as playbook, etc. Betts had the same offer list plus FSU so I’m not sure offer lists are the best way to set standards.

I’m going to bet that both would have gotten more offers if they hadn’t committed early. Bruce was raised to a four star top 250 recruit by Rivals after his senior season. We just think both will get touches this year.

Peace.

There is no doubt Iowa has been the better team the last 6 years. But you realize you are comparing Iowa to Nebraska at its' worst. And even then, it has still been pretty competitive, so what does that say about Iowa?
I think it shows how much emphasis Nebraska is putting on the Iowa game. I’m not trying to be arrogant because winning the West hasn’t exactly been going through Iowa City but hear me out.

Iowa has started out hot each of the last three years. Usually, Nebraska would have rolled over against anyone else and against Iowa under Riley. But not under Frost. This scares me.

Vokolek made a comment last year about “needing to prepare each week like its Iowa”.

Frost called Iowa it’s rival last year. I think the comment was “if you can’t get up for your rival, then why are we here?”

Maybe it’s more Iowa letting Nebraska back in it with a pick six, fumbles when trying to put the game away, going for a fake FG instead of going up three scores (still pisses me off).

sorry but I don’t see a point off any of that. Huskers never held a lead? For one, Iowa has had the same coaching staff for 20 plus years and the Huskers are in the middle of a rebuild, not to mention the worse team of the two the last 6 years maybe 7 years in a row (since Mike Riley). The fact the Huskers tied the scoreboard up going into the 4th quarter with minutes or seconds left is very telling. You really are an Iowa fan aren’t you?

Last edited:
SWiowa, I’d agree SF first year Ioway let Nebraska back in it, last year was way different we had ioway on the ropes and handed the 4Q to ioway with Cam Taylor- Britt fumbled punt and had great field position on that position, on another position we Squandered another opportunity late in the game...

going on year 20 of being close to turning the corner I'm sure this is the year it'll happen ahahaha

SWiowa, I’d agree SF first year Ioway let Nebraska back in it, last year was way different we had ioway on the ropes and handed the 4Q to ioway with Cam Taylor- Britt fumbled punt and had great field position on that position, on another position we Squandered another opportunity late in the game...

Also had a huge run that would have led to points called back. Nebraska had every opportunity to win that game.

Iowa has always had this game circled, about time Nebraska does the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT