ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska’s Rivals recruiting ranking for 2022

Yes sir, over the decade or so they average 7-8 wins per season. Not 9-10 wins per season. I’ll give them this much, they have been good the past several years but they also have a SOS that’s in the 2.00s (average). Huskers average a SOS that’s in the 5.12s or higher.

They have been solid, for sure. But for a fan base that loves to call Nebraska fans “delusional”, labeling Iowa a 9+ win program is interesting (or more like ironic).

Yes sir, over the decade or so they average 7-8 wins per season. Not 9-10 wins per season. I’ll give them this much, they have been good the past several years but they also have a SOS that’s in the 2.00s (average). Huskers average a SOS that’s in the 5.12s or higher.

Flexing about SOS when you have lost 6 straight games ???

good grief what an embarrassment

Iowa will be Iowa. 9+ wins. Defense will be stout as hell again with the entire back 6/7 coming back. The DL will need replaced like it did a couple of years ago but some highly recruited guys are waiting in the wings. Looks like a transfer is being looked into.

Offensively the OL has a ton of experience coming back. Including, the best center in the country. Petras showed to improve dramatically the last 2.5 games and will have spring ball this year. Tyler Goodson is one of the best backs in the conference. Sam LaPorta one of the best TEs. The WR group will be really solid and the schedule isn’t bad after the first two games.

Lmao.

We all have dreams.

how is that an embarrassment? What’s an embarrassment is a “so called” Husker fan that hates on his team ever chance he gets. That’s an embarrassment.

Regardless how head to head matches go, having cupcake schedules help a team gain momentum and gain extra wins (which was the point, not Huskers being better then Iowa). Maybe if the Huskers had those weak schedules going into the Iowa game, maybe, just maybe, the Huskers win by a score compared to losing by a score or FG.

Last edited:
With our Rivals staff stating it’s unlikely that we will sign any of the top 4 prospects in state and with a tough schedule for this team in 2022...I’m predicting a recruiting finish (because Frost does have some good recruiters) in the 27-33 range. If we make a bowl this year and show progress, hopefully an upward trajectory to the next year.

Hell...I have a son with Natty championship autographed FBs in our basement and an uncle that won a Natty. I’m sure if Neb were very good again, he’d care but at this time his interest level is a 3 on a scale of 1-10. He’s 17. He comes from a Nebraska family. What about the average student/recruit out there with no ties at all to the program? Must win in 2022.

I'm more worried about getting football players, development and keeping your players in the program. I don't think there's a big difference in actual recruits ability from 20-40.

Iowa will be Iowa. 9+ wins. Defense will be stout as hell again with the entire back 6/7 coming back. The DL will need replaced like it did a couple of years ago but some highly recruited guys are waiting in the wings. Looks like a transfer is being looked into.

Offensively the OL has a ton of experience coming back. Including, the best center in the country. Petras showed to improve dramatically the last 2.5 games and will have spring ball this year. Tyler Goodson is one of the best backs in the conference. Sam LaPorta one of the best TEs. The WR group will be really solid and the schedule isn’t bad after the first two games.

Why are you here clown?

how is that an embarrassment? What’s an embarrassment is a “so called” Husker fan that hates on his team ever chance he gets. That’s an embarrassment.

Regardless how head to head matches go, having cupcake schedules help a team gain momentum and extra wins. Maybe if the Huskers had those weak schedules going into the Iowa game, maybe, just maybe, the Huskers win by a score compared to losing by a score or FG.

Iowa’s SOS gets downgraded because they have to play Neb every year

using ESPNs FPI - Iowa has had the tougher SOS 3 of the last 5 years

SOS

I think I've got you down now. The statistics thing was obvious. You like to couch things in a certain way, and dismiss context, when it suits you. You never approach a problem with Nebraska and evaluate it. It's always Frosts fault or some deficiency of the program. You provide statistics and other programs success without context. You provide context when comparing Osborne's Nebraska and now. But it is obviously a disengenuous argument. You never approach any question honestly.

But they can barely beat Nebraska.

I simply can’t fathom a fan of any other blue blood program citing that although they have lost several games in a row, the fact that those games have been close as some sort of insult

particularly toward a program like Iowa that is the very definition of mediocrity

I simply can’t fathom a fan of any other blue blood program citing that although they have lost several games in a row, the fact that those games have been close as some sort of insult

particularly toward a program like Iowa that is the very definition of mediocrity

That is the current reality. I was providing context.

using ESPNs FPI - Iowa has had the tougher SOS 3 of the last 5 years

SOS

And that’s shows why some don’t go by ESPN Power index. Some do and some don’t....

Iowas actual SOS the last 7 years goes as following: 1.75, 4.44, 3.29, 8.77, 2.12, 1.51 and -0.40. That’s an average SOS of 3.05.

Huskers actual SOS the last 7 years goes as following: 5.12, 4.00, 4.82, 8.18, 2.94, 3.94 and 1.77. That’s an average SOS of 4.40.

As we can see here, Iowa has only had a tougher SOS once over the last 7 years. And it gets much worse the farther along we go. Either way, it’s funny how you come running to defend Iowa as much as you do (and how often you hate on the Huskers). I see many claiming you to be an actual Iowa fan, now I see why. Next....

Last edited:

I agree. The thing I can’t figure out is, who you actually are a fan of. You got that herbie pic in your profile. I don’t think that’s who you really are. You get called an Iowa troll quite a bit. But I don’t think that’s who you are either.
My theory is, you’ve got a lot of time on your hands. You do some decent research, but not really thorough because you get routinely called out on it which you respond by claiming technicalities. I think you are a lonely man who is both angry and also searching for social acceptance. Unfortunately, you’re not gonna find that here. But, keep posting. I’m here for you. You could also get in touch with someone with whom you actually root for and maybe we all could help you find another board.

I agree. The thing I can’t figure out is, who you actually are a fan of. You got that herbie pic in your profile. I don’t think that’s who you really are. You get called an Iowa troll quite a bit. But I don’t think that’s who you are either.
My theory is, you’ve got a lot of time on your hands. You do some decent research, but not really thorough because you get routinely called out on it which you respond by claiming technicalities. I think you are a lonely man who is both angry and also searching for social acceptance. Unfortunately, you’re not gonna find that here. But, keep posting. I’m here for you. You could also get in touch with someone with whom you actually root for and maybe we all could help you find another board.
I like @jlb321

Reactions: saltsdogg

Regardless how head to head matches go, having cupcake schedules help a team gain momentum and gain extra wins (which was the point, not Huskers being better then Iowa). Maybe if the Huskers had those weak schedules going into the Iowa game, maybe, just maybe, the Huskers win by a score compared to losing by a score or FG.
For most of Osborne’s career the schedules were pretty favorable. Games scheduled against weak opponents allowed depth to be built, starters were pulled and the younger players played a qtr or more in many games.

I’m so glad Huskersalts is back. It just wasn’t the same without you.

“Iowa will be Iowa, they will win 9+ games”. Like that’s just what they do, LOL. In their 120 year history, they have won 9+ games 17 times. In the last 10 years, 3 times.
There was a period between those statements which means they are two different thoughts. I probably could have made that more clear. My apologies. Iowa will be Iowa unlike the poster I was quoting thinks. I was simply giving him a run down as to why he is likely wrong that Iowa will be 6-6 or 7-5.

They haven’t won fewer than 7 games but once in the last 13 years. They will be a solid group that will finish top 25 for sure.

Last edited:
Lmao.

We all have dreams.
If Iowa wins fewer than 9 games next season including the bowl game, I’ll never ever post here again. If Petras goes down in the first half of the season the bet is null and void. What’s your end of the bargain gonna be?

If Iowa wins fewer than 9 games next season including the bowl game, I’ll never ever post here again. If Petras goes down in the first half of the season the bet is null and void. What’s your end of the bargain gonna be?
same but NU wins more than 9 games. but only if AM starts every game of the year.

I don’t need an apology, your son does..
No...my son doesn’t need to apologize for anything. I need to empathize with him for being born several years too late. The only game he can somewhat remember of any meaning is the Big 12 Championship when Neb narrowly lost to Texas and Suh was a one man recking crew. He was 6 I believe. We had his 8th birthday at Memorial stadium. He dreamed of being a Husker then. Kenny Bell, Taylor Martinez. He began getting bored watching games with me in the third quarter when we were down by 17 to non ranked teams. I can’t blame him. He comes from a different time. We have about 1 or 2 players in the last 12 years that would be considered amongst the 80s and 90s greatness. I grew up spoiled. My son does and did nothing wrong. Watching poor teams isn’t much fun. Those of us that grew up with greatness and keep waiting for that switch to turn on again...we come from a different experience/a different time. My son is “normal”. He watched the Illinois game with me. I could see the look in his eye as we went into halftime. Apathy and disinterest is and was setting in. Face it. Neb looked horrible. Hard for a 17 year old (today) to grasp when they didn’t witness the glory years. Need to win NOW. Bottom line. We are losing this generation.

Not betting you but I do think Iowa wins at least 8. A very solid and consistent program. Neb used to play their third teamers against the Hawks in the third quarter. The Iowa program has come a long way and Neb needs to claw its way back into relevance.

Someone needs to keep you guys informed. It’s a thankless job but I’m happy to do it. I couldn’t be gone if you hit the ignore member button. Feel free.

Informed? I clearly know more about your team than you do.

There was a period between those statements which means they are two different thoughts. I probably could have made that more clear. My apologies. Iowa will be Iowa unlike the poster I was quoting thinks. I was simply giving him a run down as to why he is likely wrong that Iowa will be 6-6 or 7-5.

They haven’t won fewer than 7 games but once in the last 13 years. They will be a solid group that will finish top 25 for sure.

Iowa's consistency has been driven by a program built to handle rebuilds mixed with fortuitous scheduling amongst an often marginal non con and Big Ten. Neither reality will present itself in 2021. I expect the Hawks to encounter a stretch similar to the 2012, 13, and 14 seasons.

1. Claiming the WR group at Iowa will be solid is laughable considering they lost two 2 NFL talents with more than 50 combined starts. Nico Ragaini and Tyrone Tracy wouldn't start for any other team in the Big Ten West in 2021. And the depth behind them will involve freshmen which presents itself as the anti Iowa way. One primary reason Ferentz has built such a consistent winner is because of always getting old and staying old.

2. Petras is not good enough to overcome the loss of Smith and Smith Marsette on the perimeter. Those two forced a lot of attention from the back end which created opportunities for a lackluster Iowa running game.

3. I laugh at how you're touting Sam LaPorta. His 1 TD catch in 14 starts is scaring the hell out of The Big Ten. He will be a bigger target now that The Hawks have a pedestrian receiver Corp. But he is nowhere close to the same level as TJ Hockensen, Fant or other Hawk greats. And he can't block like Shaun Beyer, who really gave the Hawks a boost on the perimeter. I've always liked Iowa tight ends, but in 2021, Nebraska likely has 3 of them that are better than LaPorta.

4. Tyler Goodson is a good running back. I'm a fan, and he fits well in a Zone Blocking scheme utilized by Iowa. But the Iowa running game has problems. It's designed to be a complimentary pro style attack utilized as a function of ball control. It helps run clock late and can be a tremendous boost in the aid of play action. Iowa averaged 3.1 yards per carry last season in 109 carries vs. Northwestern, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Sledding will get even tougher as division opponents outside of NW should all be better against run. Minnesota will be dramatically better. Illinois will have a better scheme. Purdue won't play the Hawks in week one. Nebraska returns everyone and Wisconsin will be good against the run again.

Despite all that listed above, Iowa's primary reason for a drop off is the losses of Big time players on that defensive line.

5. You mention Iowa's experience in their back seven, but Iowa's defensive dominance over the last half decade has been driven by their front 4. Iowa's talent at the point of attack in 2020 was among the best in the country. It was a more talented unit than Ohio State, and that will bare out in the NFL. Nixon, Golston, and Heflin were so disruptive up front that a very pedestrian player like VanFalkenburg was often left unblocked and able to make some easy stops behind the LOS. Going from Daviyon Nixon to Noah Shannon is like Jennifer Aniston going from Brad Pitt to me. Major recruiting Bust John Waggoner may be sliding inside to take over for Heflin. And Golston's 25 career starts including two seasons of All conference level play are not going to be immediately replaced. It's laughable to make that assertion.

I respect Iowa. I'm not showing up to make claims about them losing 5 or 6 games because I'm a Husker fan. But there are a lot of reasons to be pessimistic about the Hawks in 2021:

- Iowa State and Indiana out of the gates should both have their best teams in decades. Iowa usually gets Miami of Ohio and Eastern Illinois in games 1 and 2. Starting 0-2 will create a lot of unfamiliar territory in Iowa City.

- Iowa's offense is going to take a step back without Jackson protecting Petras and the major holes at receiver. The running game will be less effective without Smith Marsette garnering attention from opposing Safeties.

- It's one thing to feel positive about having good young players to fill in key spots in the defensive front 7. But it's absolutely foolish to believe young players with 0 combined starts and hardly any game experience can come in and pick up where all Americans or future NFL players left off. It's entirely possible that 4 starters from Iowa's 2020 front 7 will all be on NFL rosters in 2021. Iowa rarely loses that much talent in one offseason.

Lastly, I won't pretend to know anything about the Iowa kicking game. But Iowa has won 10 one score games the last 4 seasons. Keith Duncan was awesome and one of the greatest kickers in Big Ten history. I will give Iowa the benefit of the doubt here and assume Shudack can get the job done as his replacement. However, Duncan was mainly great because he never wavered with a game on the line. Can that mentality be replaced?

Indiana- L
@ Iowa State- L
Kent State - W
Colorado State - W
@ Maryland - W
Penn State - L
Purdue- W
@ Wisconsin - L
@ NW - W
Minnesota - L
Illinois - W
@ Nebraska - L

If potential Nebraska recruits play Offense, then I can see why they may want to go somewhere else with the JV staff we have.

If they play Defense, then they can’t see progress happening here.

I don't give a damn bout a sos. All I know is that they have somehow kicked our asses for 6 year's in a ROW and that sh!t is inexcusable!

Our AD fired the coach who went 3-1 against their slow asses and said "we had to evaluate where Iowa was". The stupid fμ©k!

Reactions: bshirt73

This coming from a guy who says a #9 ranked dual threat qb is more valuable than a #1 ranked TE. You must have been pretty embarrassed since you went into hiding after that comment... maybe go back to only posting from your Husker99 handle.

This coming from a guy who says a #9 ranked dual threat qb is more valuable than a #1 ranked TE. You must have been pretty embarrassed since you went into hiding after that comment... maybe go back to only posting from your Husker99 handle.

That was beyond idiotic, but nowhere near the top of his list. Being made to look foolish has never slowed him down, it’s like fuel to him.

I don't give a damn bout a sos. All I know is that they have somehow kicked our asses for 6 year's in a ROW and that sh!t is inexcusable!

Our AD fired the coach who went 3-1 against their slow asses and said "we had to evaluate where Iowa was". The stupid fμ©k!

I don’t get why some of you guys are automatically turning that SOS comment into a Husker vs Iowa pissing match. All i was doing was trolling the Iowa fan when I said “I’d hope they get to 9 wins with the easier SOS’s Iowa plays”. That was the point of the SOS mention. Just trolling and teasing the Iowa fan. That’s it, breath my man and relax.

The other part, I’m with you. The Huskers need to do better in the head to head game, finish the job and beat these clowns already. Some how Mike Riley would find away to get blown out by Iowa while he was here. Then the last 3 seasons under Frost we have lost by back to back last second FGs and then last year we lost to them by a score (lost by a combined total of 13 points in 3 seasons). It’s time to beat them already and get over that hump. SMH

Last edited:
I don’t get why some of you guys are automatically turning that SOS comment into a Husker vs Iowa pissing match. All i was doing was trolling the Iowa fan when I said “I’d hope they get to 9 wins with the easier SOS’s Iowa plays”. That was the point of the SOS mention. Just trolling and teasing the Iowa fan. That’s it, breath my man and relax.

The other part, I’m with you. The Huskers need to do better in the head to head game, finish the job and beat these clowns already. Some how Mike Riley would find away to get blown out by Iowa while he was here. Then the last 3 seasons under Frost we have lost by back to back last second FGs and then last year we lost to them by a score (lost by a combined total of 13 points in 3 seasons). It’s time to beat them already and get over that hump. SMH

Mercedes drivers are tightly wound.

Iowa's consistency has been driven by a program built to handle rebuilds mixed with fortuitous scheduling amongst an often marginal non con and Big Ten. Neither reality will present itself in 2021. I expect the Hawks to encounter a stretch similar to the 2012, 13, and 14 seasons.

1. Claiming the WR group at Iowa will be solid is laughable considering they lost two 2 NFL talents with more than 50 combined starts. Nico Ragaini and Tyrone Tracy wouldn't start for any other team in the Big Ten West in 2021. And the depth behind them will involve freshmen which presents itself as the anti Iowa way. One primary reason Ferentz has built such a consistent winner is because of always getting old and staying old.

2. Petras is not good enough to overcome the loss of Smith and Smith Marsette on the perimeter. Those two forced a lot of attention from the back end which created opportunities for a lackluster Iowa running game.

3. I laugh at how you're touting Sam LaPorta. His 1 TD catch in 14 starts is scaring the hell out of The Big Ten. He will be a bigger target now that The Hawks have a pedestrian receiver Corp. But he is nowhere close to the same level as TJ Hockensen, Fant or other Hawk greats. And he can't block like Shaun Beyer, who really gave the Hawks a boost on the perimeter. I've always liked Iowa tight ends, but in 2021, Nebraska likely has 3 of them that are better than LaPorta.

4. Tyler Goodson is a good running back. I'm a fan, and he fits well in a Zone Blocking scheme utilized by Iowa. But the Iowa running game has problems. It's designed to be a complimentary pro style attack utilized as a function of ball control. It helps run clock late and can be a tremendous boost in the aid of play action. Iowa averaged 3.1 yards per carry last season in 109 carries vs. Northwestern, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Sledding will get even tougher as division opponents outside of NW should all be better against run. Minnesota will be dramatically better. Illinois will have a better scheme. Purdue won't play the Hawks in week one. Nebraska returns everyone and Wisconsin will be good against the run again.

Despite all that listed above, Iowa's primary reason for a drop off is the losses of Big time players on that defensive line.

5. You mention Iowa's experience in their back seven, but Iowa's defensive dominance over the last half decade has been driven by their front 4. Iowa's talent at the point of attack in 2020 was among the best in the country. It was a more talented unit than Ohio State, and that will bare out in the NFL. Nixon, Golston, and Heflin were so disruptive up front that a very pedestrian player like VanFalkenburg was often left unblocked and able to make some easy stops behind the LOS. Going from Daviyon Nixon to Noah Shannon is like Jennifer Aniston going from Brad Pitt to me. Major recruiting Bust John Waggoner may be sliding inside to take over for Heflin. And Golston's 25 career starts including two seasons of All conference level play are not going to be immediately replaced. It's laughable to make that assertion.

I respect Iowa. I'm not showing up to make claims about them losing 5 or 6 games because I'm a Husker fan. But there are a lot of reasons to be pessimistic about the Hawks in 2021:

- Iowa State and Indiana out of the gates should both have their best teams in decades. Iowa usually gets Miami of Ohio and Eastern Illinois in games 1 and 2. Starting 0-2 will create a lot of unfamiliar territory in Iowa City.

- Iowa's offense is going to take a step back without Jackson protecting Petras and the major holes at receiver. The running game will be less effective without Smith Marsette garnering attention from opposing Safeties.

- It's one thing to feel positive about having good young players to fill in key spots in the defensive front 7. But it's absolutely foolish to believe young players with 0 combined starts and hardly any game experience can come in and pick up where all Americans or future NFL players left off. It's entirely possible that 4 starters from Iowa's 2020 front 7 will all be on NFL rosters in 2021. Iowa rarely loses that much talent in one offseason.

Lastly, I won't pretend to know anything about the Iowa kicking game. But Iowa has won 10 one score games the last 4 seasons. Keith Duncan was awesome and one of the greatest kickers in Big Ten history. I will give Iowa the benefit of the doubt here and assume Shudack can get the job done as his replacement. However, Duncan was mainly great because he never wavered with a game on the line. Can that mentality be replaced?

Indiana- L
@ Iowa State- L
Kent State - W
Colorado State - W
@ Maryland - W
Penn State - L
Purdue- W
@ Wisconsin - L
@ NW - W
Minnesota - L
Illinois - W
@ Nebraska - L

You basically said most of what I was going to, especially with their WR. Losing two big WR on the outside is always massive for a QB. Their other WR are not that good outside of a few possession receptions across the middle for 10 yards. My early prediction is Iowa going 7-5 or 8-4. Key game is vs Indiana where they more than likely can sneak out a dub at home. Iowa always got the crap Midwest teams for so long to get 2 extra wins each season. UNI (FCS), Iowa St (who is now good but never was before), E. Illini, Ball St, N. Illini, Miami OH.

Indiana- L
@ Iowa State- L
Kent State - W
Colorado State - W
@ Maryland - W
Penn State - L
Purdue- W
@ Wisconsin - L
@ NW - W
Minnesota - L
Illinois - W
@ Nebraska - L
Yes! Finally some conversation. Just because you have a lesser image of Iowa’s players than I do doesn’t mean you know more than I do. That’s just being arrogant. I’ve been through this every spring with huskersalts for 3 years running now.

Iowa has replaced an entire DL very recently and didn’t take a step back. (No, there may not be an Epenesa waiting in the wings). Heflin can be replaced pretty reasonably. Nixon absolutely not. There is some experience to replace them. There are also 2nd and 3rd year guys hopefully ready to step in.

Iowa is at or near the tops in the country in INTs every single year, no matter who is back there. That’s not going to change just because they replace 3 DL. They do replace Norman at LB but Benson and Campbell played exceptional at the end of the year. Two NFL LBers mixed with a LB with an offer from OSU.

Are TDs the only stat when it comes to TE receiving? He was second on the team in reception yards and had the sameness average as Brandon Smith.

Iowa’s run game took a huge step forward last year as they got away from the zone scheme. The position is pretty thin though. A Goodson injury could be catastrophic.

Tracy and Ragaini very well could have been Nebraska’s best WRs last year, outside Wandale. They at least know how to lineup and do more than take a jet sweep. Tracy and his drops could cause issues. Then you’ve got Charlie Jones who was insane on punt return last year. You got a big tall soph receiver who got PT as a freshman. Then we believe Keegan Johnson is going to be too good to keep of the field. Arlan Bruce is another freshman WR that’s gonna see some PT. The WR position at Iowa isn’t what it was 5 years ago thank goodness.

I used to be pessimistic about Kirk and football but he has built a solid enough foundation that Iowa just reloads (not with the talent of OSU or Alabama obviously). But they reload with enough talent to keep the basement around 8 wins. It’s a shame we couldn’t see what Iowa would have done as double digit favorites against Michigan and Missouri to end the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: loper
“Iowa is at or near the tops in the country in INTs every single year, no matter who is back there. That’s not going to change just because they replace 3 DL. They do replace Norman at LB but Benson and Campbell played exceptional at the end of the year. Two NFL LBers mixed with a LB with an offer from OSU.”

a lot of that had everything to do with Iowa’s front 7 and the pressure your DEs and Dline in general would put in opposing QBs and making them rush their throws. As of now, I don’t see the same pass rush coming from Iowa and the longer a QB can sit back there, the better the chances a WR has of beating the DBs. And like dude said, Iowa lost a lot this offseason and rarely does Kirk have to replace that much experience. We will see though, you are always high on your team. Some people MAY call that being a homer. 🤷🏽

Parker is probably the best DC in the B10 so Iowa will always have at least a decent to good defense every year - couple with that ball control to inflate some of that statistic wise. B10 is heavily on veteran experience as we saw with NW this year who will take a for sure downfall this season. Iowa will run the ball and try to win those real close games. Depends which way the ball bounces sometimes, but I don't see them being better than last year.

Parker is probably the best DC in the B10 so Iowa will always have at least a decent to good defense every year - couple with that ball control to inflate some of that statistic wise. B10 is heavily on veteran experience as we saw with NW this year who will take a for sure downfall this season. Iowa will run the ball and try to win those real close games. Depends which way the ball bounces sometimes, but I don't see them being better than last year.

agreed on this one. Their offense wont be anything like last year. But Iowa always has a Top 15-25 range defense. It will be interesting to see how their Defense does this season with less then normal experience up front.

As a Husker living in Cedar Rapids and a follower of the Hawks, I agree with you. The Indiana and ISU games to start the season will be very interesting.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Yes! Finally some conversation. Just because you have a lesser image of Iowa’s players than I do doesn’t mean you know more than I do. That’s just being arrogant. I’ve been through this every spring with huskersalts for 3 years running now.

Iowa has replaced an entire DL very recently and didn’t take a step back. (No, there may not be an Epenesa waiting in the wings). Heflin can be replaced pretty reasonably. Nixon absolutely not. There is some experience to replace them. There are also 2nd and 3rd year guys hopefully ready to step in.

Iowa is at or near the tops in the country in INTs every single year, no matter who is back there. That’s not going to change just because they replace 3 DL. They do replace Norman at LB but Benson and Campbell played exceptional at the end of the year. Two NFL LBers mixed with a LB with an offer from OSU.

Are TDs the only stat when it comes to TE receiving? He was second on the team in reception yards and had the sameness average as Brandon Smith.

Iowa’s run game took a huge step forward last year as they got away from the zone scheme. The position is pretty thin though. A Goodson injury could be catastrophic.

Tracy and Ragaini very well could have been Nebraska’s best WRs last year, outside Wandale. They at least know how to lineup and do more than take a jet sweep. Tracy and his drops could cause issues. Then you’ve got Charlie Jones who was insane on punt return last year. You got a big tall soph receiver who got PT as a freshman. Then we believe Keegan Johnson is going to be too good to keep of the field. Arlan Bruce is another freshman WR that’s gonna see some PT. The WR position at Iowa isn’t what it was 5 years ago thank goodness.

I used to be pessimistic about Kirk and football but he has built a solid enough foundation that Iowa just reloads (not with the talent of OSU or Alabama obviously). But they reload with enough talent to keep the basement around 8 wins. It’s a shame we couldn’t see what Iowa would have done as double digit favorites against Michigan and Missouri to end the year.

“Iowa is at or near the tops in the country in INTs every single year, no matter who is back there. That’s not going to change just because they replace 3 DL. They do replace Norman at LB but Benson and Campbell played exceptional at the end of the year. Two NFL LBers mixed with a LB with an offer from OSU.

a lot of that had everything to do with Iowa’s front 7 and the pressure your DEs and Dline in general would put on opposing QBs and making them rush their throws. As of now, I don’t see the same pass rush coming from Iowa and the longer a QB can sit back there, the better the chances a WR has of beating the DBs. And like dude said, Iowa lost a lot this offseason and rarely does Kirk have to replace that much experience. We will see though.

Edited: “Then we believe Keegan Johnson is going to be too good to keep of the field. Arlan Bruce is another freshman WR that’s gonna see some PT.”

i love the way you’re high on K. Johnson. He will be a solid WR, IN TIME. But hes not on the same level as Zavier Betts and some of those type of WRs though. K. Johnson will no doubt have a solid college career. As for A. Bruce? I’m not as high on him. He barely had any power 5 offers (only Iowa and ISU offered...that’s it) and he’s more of an APB then a WR. It will be interesting to see how he does over his time at Iowa. But relying on those WRs as true freshmen? My man, that’s not going to favor Iowa. It only shows the lack of depth and talent Iowa has at WR now that those 2 NFL lvl WRs are gone if they are relying on those 2 right out of the gates.

Last edited:

I am really interested to see what Charlie Jones does as a WR. Also who Kirk brings in as transfers where he has done a great job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT