ADVERTISEMENT

NEB WRES: Huskers to Host Woody Greeno/Dirksen Invitational

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
May 29, 2001
Bellevue, Nebraska [formerly Omaha]
Lincoln, Neb. – The Nebraska cross country team is ready to hit the course for the 27th annual Woody Greeno/Dirksen Invitational at Pioneers Park on Saturday, Sept. 17.

The meet is set to start at 10 a.m. and the final race is expected to conclude around Noon. Head Coach David Harris said that he hopes to see plenty of Husker faithful show up to support the team on Saturday morning before the football game against Oregon.

"We have had some of our better workouts over the last ten days since the Augustana [Twilight] meet." Harris said. "It is important to us. Our only home competition of the year is important."

The Husker women look to come out and make a statement after their third-place team finish two weeks ago at the Augustana Twilight. Junior Katrina Santiago led the Huskers at the meet with a time of 17:08.22 and will look to do so again alongside lead runners Anna Peer and Bonnie Smith.

"I think we are going to get to run Anna Peer in this meet. It has been a tough year. I have seen some positivity from her recently in the last month." Harris said. "Lillian Markusch, as a freshman, it is nice to get her contribution. We hope she can continue to be right up there. Katrina Santiago led our women at the Augustana Twilight, so we have expectations of her being out there. Rachel Brush is going to run her first meet. As a freshman, it is exciting for her to get to open her collegiate career."

The men's squad will look to capitalize on its first-place team finish at the Augustana Twilight behind senior Jacob Olson, who took the individual title in the University division of the meet (18:48.86). Sophomore Wyatt McGuire (19:04.05) and senior Patrick Letz (19:10.15) are also key runners to watch after coming in second and third at the Augustana Twilight, respectively.

"Jacob Olson won the Augustana [Twilight], so I would expect him to lead our team. We are watching for Austin Post to really move up in the order on our team. He has been training as well as I have seen him ever train." Harris said. "There are a lot of them that need to step up, and this is the perfect opportunity at home to really have a good race."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News