ADVERTISEMENT

NEB BSB: Fan Reminders for Friday's Baseball Exhibition vs. Creighton

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
May 29, 2001
Bellevue, Nebraska [formerly Omaha]
Fan Reminders for Friday's Baseball Exhibition vs. Creighton

The Nebraska baseball team holds its first fall exhibition game this Friday, Sept. 17, welcoming in-state foe Creighton to Hawks Field at Haymarket Park at 5 p.m. The game is scheduled to last 12 innings.

Gates will open one hour prior to first pitch, and admission is free. Concessions will be open for fans with a limited menu for purchase. All outside food and beverage is prohibited.

Additionally, the exhibition will be streamed live on Facebook (Facebook.com/NebraskaBaseball) and Twitter.com (@husker_baseball).

Nebraska's 2021 season included a Big Ten title and the Huskers' first NCAA regional final appearance since 2007. NU's fall roster comprises 41 players, including 18 newcomers. Will Bolt, the 2021 Big Ten Coach of the Year, enters his third season at the helm in 2022.

Reactions: saluno22
Gonna share an opinion on the game itself later on, but Nebraska should be embarrassed with John Bishop tonight.

Gonna share an opinion on the game itself later on, but Nebraska should be embarrassed with John Bishop tonight.
I was at the scrimmage so have no frame of reference for what you are referring to so you have peaked my interest.

I was at the scrimmage so have no frame of reference for what you are referring to so you have peaked my interest.

His performance was garbage. Wrong names, wrong positions, wrong hometowns, wrong schools, invited Creighton SID to call the game with him for 4ish innings, wrong calls on where the ball went, wrong visual of where the ball was pitched, on and on and on. And he built Drew Christo up like Bob Gibson reincarnated. It was very unprofessional of Bishop to do that.

He used words I've never heard of in the game of baseball. Bottom line, Bishop was extremely unprepared as if he got notice at 4:45pm today he was calling the game.

I would much rather listen to the Penn State BTN+ broadcast. And we all know how that went. Sick

His performance was garbage. Wrong names, wrong positions, wrong hometowns, wrong schools, invited Creighton SID to call the game with him for 4ish innings, wrong calls on where the ball went, wrong visual of where the ball was pitched, on and on and on. And he built Drew Christo up like Bob Gibson reincarnated. It was very unprofessional of Bishop to do that.

He used words I've never heard of in the game of baseball. Bottom line, Bishop was extremely unprepared as if he got notice at 4:45pm today he was calling the game.

I would much rather listen to the Penn State BTN+ broadcast. And we all know how that went. Sick
Now I’m happy I was at the game and couldn’t listen to that drivel. Sounds awful. I can’t stand when an announcer doesn’t do the simplest things to prepare.

How’d you feel about the scrimmage itself? I was pleasantly surprised. Of course a few pitchers struggle which is something to keep an eye on but I’m not as concerned about the outfield options as I was going into the off season.

Multiple times he called the wrong counts and outs. Not just once, but repeating it. Forget who the pitcher was at the time, but he kept saying he struck out the 1st guy of the inning, but he had actually got on base and kept repeating they had 1 out. I seriously thought he was drunk.

Reactions: Hskrbsbl2020
How’d you feel about the scrimmage itself? I was pleasantly surprised. Of course a few pitchers struggle which is something to keep an eye on but I’m not as concerned about the outfield options as I was going into the off season.

More concerns than thought, at least heading in to the game, but deciding to hold off on comments till the fall is complete.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Need to let Bishop off the hook here (now I need a shower for saying that) but pretty sure that wasn't Bishop. That was John Baylor the radio voice for Husker volleyball.

And, yeah, there were multiple mis-steps in the story telling and even some bruising going on but in some cases he might have had bad information. For example, when Dawson McCarville took the mound his jersey number was 13 - official roster says he's number 49. Oops.

Anyway, man did I enjoy that. How about Shanaman? Six up, six down with five Ks. That'll play and Christo..., loads the bases with no outs then goes 1, 2, 3 with two Ks. Very nice. No home runs though, bummer. I mean, Creighton had three for crying out loud.

All in all, loved getting to watch more baseball.

You can't even get his name right. Ironic.

Baylor does volleyball, hasn't called a baseball game in 20+ years as far as I know and had to try and fill air on a 12-inning exhibition, mostly by himself from what I watched, with mass, random substitutions, including players being taken out and put back in, and jersey numbers that until today didn't exist on the roster, like k9 said. It was a free webcast with the main baseball pbp crew in Norman. Didn't bother me.

Last edited:
I don’t look for much in a scrimmage because it’s just a scrimmage but the thing I loved most was the zero errors I. 12 innings, even from the backups. I do worry about pitching depth but again, it’s too early to read too much into anything. I still think Mason has a shot at stealing and outfield spot.

One thing I will say about Baylor's PBP, he did a helluva lot better than I could ever do. Some folks can broadcast and some can't. I can't.

There are just some announcers that totally get under your skin and this diva, pompous clown is my least favorite announcer in any sport. he has to make EVERY broadcast of the volleyball team about him and how much he brings to the event. I’m sure each of you have an announcer that the mute button was built for … this clown is my least favorite in any sport.

There are just some announcers that totally get under your skin and this diva, pompous clown is my least favorite announcer in any sport. he has to make EVERY broadcast of the volleyball team about him and how much he brings to the event. I’m sure each of you have an announcer that the mute button was built for … this clown is my least favorite in any sport.
He's a fantastic ACT prep teacher, but I agree with you on his broadcasting: Oftentimes he tries to show how awesome he is.

Kugler does that a bit, too. But he's much more tolerable and playful than Baylor.

Reactions: Reditus
One thing I will say about Baylor's PBP, he did a helluva lot better than I could ever do. Some folks can broadcast and some can't. I can't.

Curious if you're a broadcaster to make a living, or supplement? Agree with your point, and I fall under the same opinion, but a professional should do better than two dudes off a message board.

Some can broadcast a specific sport, while others can't. He's in the others category after last night's debacle. It's not asking much to be prepared. The entire game was scripted which makes things worse for him.

I don't mind errors, they happen to the best of them. It's human nature. He was making errors the entire game, from start to finish, and at one point it was pitch by pitch.

I had texted a buddy, who's a diehard baseball guy and member of this website, and he said he turned it off early due to Baylor.

Great to sit in the old seats again!
Got pointed out that there was like 41 players on the Husker roster...
What is the limit now a days?
Yeah, outfield looked strange, especially with no Mojo, performed well thou.
I was so into putting all the new faces with names and numbers...
and Rob Childress walks out and goes into the dugout. Oh yeah, we got Rob.
Christy looks healthier. Curtis hanging in the bullpen. There's Danny.
Hellstrom in coaching attire. And Harvell high fiving everyone.
Coach Bolt apparantly unable to attend.
He probably did not like the stream either.
For early Fall, was impressed with the new guys.
And early notice, if you're planning to go to the Wichita St exhibition, they will be charging for parking due to the Northwestern football game.

Reactions: Reditus
Got pointed out that there was like 41 players on the Husker roster...
What is the limit now a days?
The limit for this year is 40. (see link)

I think someone mentioned that we have 1 rs freshmen who had tommy john. I am guessing it's Walsh with an outside chance at it being Wessel? I did see both those guys in practice pics doing drills so really not sure at all. I do think those are the only 2 guys that didn't get in the scrimmage? If one or both are injured then they probably are getting an injury waiver for the TJ guy which means we are at our roster limit of 40, so no cuts this year. Just an uninformed guess.

And early notice, if you're planning to go to the Wichita St exhibition, they will be charging for parking due to the Northwestern football game.

Thank you for this nugget of info!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT