ADVERTISEMENT

Neb and Kansas to the SEC

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
Why the heck not? I know people look at the program now and think we can't compete, but that is after the disastrous effects of moving to a conference with no recruiting value for NU. Moving to the SEC would improve recruiting 100-fold. Kansas would be a huge win for the SEC in basketball. OU and Texas will have. hard time getting out of the Big 12 because of opposition from Texas and Okie St, but NU and Kansas could more easily make the move.

B1G would gladly help us pack, pretty sure. If we're going to move though, we might be a better fit for the Mountain West.
Disagree. Imagine if the B1G let us go and we turned things around. They would be kicking themselves for years to come. We haven’t lived up to their expectations yet, but I think it’s too soon for them to pull the ripcord just yet. They need to be absolutely sure we will never again be good, IMO.

Disagree. Imagine if the B1G let us go and we turned things around. They would be kicking themselves for years to come. We haven’t lived up to their expectations yet, but I think it’s too soon for them to pull the ripcord just yet. They need to be absolutely sure we will never again be good, IMO.

I hear the Missouri Valley is a nice conference...short road trips to!!

The B1G would absolutely let us walk and they would absolutely help us pack.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Why the heck not? I know people look at the program now and think we can't compete, but that is after the disastrous effects of moving to a conference with no recruiting value for NU. Moving to the SEC would improve recruiting 100-fold. Kansas would be a huge win for the SEC in basketball. OU and Texas will have. hard time getting out of the Big 12 because of opposition from Texas and Okie St, but NU and Kansas could more easily make the move.
BECAUSE it's not just about football. SEC academics are far inferior to the B1G.

Reactions: artguy68 and nu2u
BECAUSE it's not just about football. SEC academics are far inferior to the B1G.
Its amazing that people still believe that conference affiliation decisions are being made by athletic directors or that sports programs are a major factor. Universities are academic institutions first and foremost. The decision to affiliate with other universities is made by boards, trustees, or other controlling entities and academic considerations are central and primary.

Its amazing that people still believe that conference affiliation decisions are being made by athletic directors or that sports programs are a major factor. Universities are academic institutions first and foremost. The decision to affiliate with other universities is made by boards, trustees, or other controlling entities and academic considerations are central and primary.
perhaps in the galaxy brain b1g this is the case. same with the pac12.

in the ACC/SEC, academics are in their proper place: well behind athletics.

For the record the Big10 doesn't "think" anything.

I wouldn't want Nebraska to go if nothing else for conference symmetry.

The culture and history of the Big10 West is being created as we speak.

If Nebraska sticks then your grandchildren will be arguing over these days and what they meant.

:🤷: Its college football.

Go Blue!

Other than the Ivy League, the vast majority of schools align in conferences primarily for athletics. Athletics brings mucho dinero and being in a league that guarantees games against certain marquee athletics schools every year is worth it.

it should be illegal for a football team like kansas to play an alabama level team. The KU kids will be hospitalized

Where have you heard this? I admit I live in Pa but honestly I’ve never heard or read anything from other B1G schools about being unhappy with Nebraska

My comments are backdated to when the B1G said no football, and we spaz'd. Color me doubtful they were thrilled with us then, or are over it now. Maybe I'm wrong. regardless, we aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: Hardslider21
Never happening. They’d laugh us out the door. Those teams have water boys faster than us. Bring in big corn fed slow farm boys. This isn’t the 90’s when the horse stables have is the advantage

The problem with this is we live in a different world where what you have done lately counts more. They could care less about our 5 NC's and tradition but will remember every comment about the B1G and how we haven't lived up to our end of the bargain.

The problem with this is we live in a different world where what you have done lately counts more. They could care less about our 5 NC's and tradition but will remember every comment about the B1G and how we haven't lived up to our end of the bargain.
You make some good points here, but is the conference really ready to let go of us because of the last six years? why invite Rutgers and Maryland? I know those are big markets, but they haven’t done anything ever. Nebraska Still is a National name even if it’s tarnished.

Reactions: zrob
You make some good points here, but is the conference really ready to let go of us because of the last six years? why invite Rutgers and Maryland? I know those are big markets, but they haven’t done anything ever. Nebraska Still is a National name even if it’s tarnished.

Nebraska is a respected part of the B1G. This narrative that we are outcasts is ridiculous. If only Scott Frost can get things on track. That's all that keeps us from happiness in the B1G. Winning in football.

I have no way of knowing for certain but it would seem that the Nebraska brand is clearly in serious decline even in its own home state. Note the lack of enthusiasm this summer on the tour and there appears to be some issues with selling season tickets. Add to that we get a small lump on our head from recruiting last year in state and a huge bloody nose and black eye this year for failing to lock down (even get a visit from) the top in state recruits.

It seems that I come across article after article speaking to the fact we keep running our mouths like we have accomplished something and we haven't. We haven't been in many conversations for anything of importance for way too long. Now we cross our fingers hoping for a winning season and some kind of bowl game just to break the losing season jinx.

"IF" and that is a big IF, the brand is losing luster in Huskerville, the entire 2 million pop of Nebraska becomes less of a factor.

I don't want to be a negative nellie but if it is truth, it is is what it is. I want to be wrong.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I have no way of knowing for certain but it would seem that the Nebraska brand is clearly in serious decline even in its own home state. Note the lack of enthusiasm this summer on the tour and there appears to be some issues with selling season tickets. Add to that we get a small lump on our head from recruiting last year in state and a huge bloody nose and black eye this year for failing to lock down (even get a visit from) the top in state recruits.

It seems that I come across article after article speaking to the fact we keep running our mouths like we have accomplished something and we haven't. We haven't been in many conversations for anything of importance for way too long. Now we cross our fingers hoping for a winning season and some kind of bowl game just to break the losing season jinx.

"IF" and that is a big IF, the brand is losing luster in Huskerville, the entire 2 million pop of Nebraska becomes less of a factor.

I don't want to be a negative nellie but if it is truth, it is is what it is. I want to be wrong.
Again, is the B1G ready to kick a blue blood to the curb because of the last 6 years? Boxes nailed it in his post just before yours. The only place we aren’t respected right now is on these message boards.

And before you question our blue blood status, do a google search and you will see that nearly every site still has Nebraska as a blue blood.

Never happening. They’d laugh us out the door. Those teams have water boys faster than us. Bring in big corn fed slow farm boys. This isn’t the 90’s when the horse stables have is the advantage
The only reason we have mules instead of thoroughbreds is our recruiting territory.

The Big 10 has hurt Nebraska. What good does a season of playing Purdue and Northwestern do for the program? Where are all of those big time Illinois and Indiana recruits? Play games in Louisiana and Georgia instead.

Again, is the B1G ready to kick a blue blood to the curb because of the last 6 years? Boxes nailed it in his post just before yours. The only place we aren’t respected right now is on these message boards.

And before you question our blue blood status, do a google search and you will see that nearly every site still has Nebraska as a blue blood.
I am not saying the league is ready to give the Huskers the boot. Where did I say that? The question was in reference to what have we done lately, living up to expectations, our time in the B1G, value to the B1G, etc. I read Boxes post and there is always that big "if" which hasn't yet happened has it? That's my point, it is reaching a point where the damage is beginning to add up - see recruits. Sure, it is easy to say we just need to win - that isn't hard to figure out, but doing it seems to be elusive. So if winning solves the problems which I agree it does, what happens if this continues going the wrong way - each are equally likely to occur according to many on here and pundits.

'Cause its all about the Benjamins. OU and Texas will bring in lots more to the SEC football coffers. Not in favor of this at all but Rivals board followers disagree. Will be interesting to see what happens and how soon.

we can't get kicked from the big 10, we are now part owner of the big 10 network, and buying us out would cost billions

I am not saying the league is ready to give the Huskers the boot. Where did I say that? The question was in reference to what have we done lately, living up to expectations, our time in the B1G, value to the B1G, etc. I read Boxes post and there is always that big "if" which hasn't yet happened has it? That's my point, it is reaching a point where the damage is beginning to add up - see recruits. Sure, it is easy to say we just need to win - that isn't hard to figure out, but doing it seems to be elusive. So if winning solves the problems which I agree it does, what happens if this continues going the wrong way - each are equally likely to occur according to many on here and pundits.
Sorry, you were addressing my comment earlier on when I was disagreeing with litespeed that the B1G would kick us to the curb in a heartbeat. That was my whole premise. I didn’t think the B1G would be ready to kick us out so easily.

You took my thoughts in a different direction, and we ended up talking past each other.

To your point about winning, I believe it will happen. If Frost isn’t the guy, someone else will be. Just gotta find that guy if it isn’t Frost.

Reactions: bigboxes
I would like to agree with you and definitely believe that explains NU to the B1G. But if Texas goes to the SEC academics is surely not central and primary. Which according to your statement means it will not happen. Texas is very proud of their academics.

All this talk is meaningless.. NU doubled down on the B1G.. our future looks like Iowa, if we can get our act together.. otherwise it looks like the last 4 years.

Husker Football of old days is gone. Get in line, our future is a hard pill to take, but that is what has happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRich52806
Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC.

Nebraska and Kansas to the SEC.

Try going to an SEC board and floating those two options and see what kind of response you get?

I don’t see why many think the BIG schools would help us move (especially the BIG West teams). Up until now we’ve been a pretty easy ‘W’ for most. When we start winning more, I could see the other BIG teams eager to see us move on.

Sorry, you were addressing my comment earlier on when I was disagreeing with litespeed that the B1G would kick us to the curb in a heartbeat. That was my whole premise. I didn’t think the B1G would be ready to kick us out so easily.

You took my thoughts in a different direction, and we ended up talking past each other.

To your point about winning, I believe it will happen. If Frost isn’t the guy, someone else will be. Just gotta find that guy if it isn’t Frost.
Winning will "eventually" happen at some point and as you point out, under Frost or someone else. The question really is, what does that winning look like? Is it at Iowa level, tOSU level or somewhere in between?

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT