ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA

Charlie Marlow

Athletic Director
Sep 23, 2005
In Your Head
misery- tutor did classwork for athletes = strict punishment
UNC- decades of academic fraud for the athletes = nothing

KU- DeSousa handler took $2500 payment unknown to the player, school = 2 years ineligible
Auburn- CAMs Dad took 6 figures unknown to CAM = nothing

of course I could go on and on, but it just seems like the NCAA is in full crazy mode this week.

KU- DeSousa handler took $2500 payment unknown to the player, school = 2 years ineligible

of course I could go on and on, but it just seems like the NCAA is in full crazy mode this week.
Follow the money, the sec and acc make the NCAA lots of money, who controls college baseball the southern schools. Imo when the NCAA left Kansas City they've become irrelevant, let's just see how much money we can make off the the sec and acc the league leaders in cheating!!

There was evidence that UNC had a sham department that while it benefited athletes, it also benefited normal students. Michigan and Auburn had similar unpunished situations.

At Newton’s time the NCAA rules let him off because he didn’t know about the payments. The same argument was made by DeSousa, but the rules were changed in 2012 which makes it permissible for the NCAA to punish someone even if they didn’t have knowledge of the situation.

I don’t like the NCAA or their rules honestly, but there are explanations for the different handlings that make sense based on rules.

Honestly, I think misery got what they deserved but DeSousa was excessive considering he had zero involvement.
Maybe one year tops. I do want to see improper actions result in discipline instead of ignored because ‘everyone’s doing it.’

But I’m sorry, there was no reasonable justification to ignore UNC and Auburn.
And it just becomes more insane with every additional example you throw in.

Reactions: Baxter48
Honestly, I think misery got what they deserved but DeSousa was excessive considering he had zero involvement.
Maybe one year tops. I do want to see improper actions result in discipline instead of ignored because ‘everyone’s doing it.’

But I’m sorry, there was no reasonable justification to ignore UNC and Auburn.
And it just becomes more insane with every additional example you throw in.

So rules be damned? Just punish whoever we don’t like? North Carolina’s case came down to rules and precedent set before, as did Cam Newton’s (Alabama had a prior situation that was similar). I have yet to see evidence that Auburn specifically did anything related to Newton, his dad and a handler tried to get $ from Mississippi State.

Again, De Sousa is only different because the NCAA changed rules after Cam Newton to allow punishment in this scenario.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...es-include-parents-closes-cam-newton-loophole

There was evidence that UNC had a sham department that while it benefited athletes, it also benefited normal students. Michigan and Auburn had similar unpunished situations.

At Newton’s time the NCAA rules let him off because he didn’t know about the payments. The same argument was made by DeSousa, but the rules were changed in 2012 which makes it permissible for the NCAA to punish someone even if they didn’t have knowledge of the situation.

I don’t like the NCAA or their rules honestly, but there are explanations for the different handlings that make sense based on rules.

So the moral of the story is that if you're going to cheat, do it for the entire student body, not just the athletes. That's about as lame as it gets.

Reactions: baseball31ne
So the moral of the story is that if you're going to cheat, do it for the entire student body, not just the athletes. That's about as lame as it gets.

You got it, waiting for a small school to offer laptops and cars to each incoming freshman, which will be a recruitment tool for sports as well.

DeSousa should be allowed to transfer to Nebraska. His handlers should be banned from all college arenas, practice facilities, etc. Whoever at Kansas distributed the money should be barred in the same way. The AD and the coach should be punished somehow. Most important, Creighton should be given the death penalty just because.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Texas could get away with more than any other school in NCAA. Just a fact. Including officiating bias. It’s not just SEC/ACC. It’s the club.

I did read they came down hard on Mizzou because they were guilty of other Level 1 infractions in 2016. In other words, they better not self report anything else or they will get hammered. But the NCAA has to start coming down hard on cheaters. If not, why not go ahead and cheat. Get caught for a slap on the wrist. It happens way, way, way too often.

only this week?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT