ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA rules concerning momentum and a safety

Suhrreal

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009
From the book:

SECTION 5. Safety How Scored

ARTICLE 1. It is a safety when:

a. The ball becomes dead out of bounds behind a goal line, except from an incomplete forward pass, or becomes dead in the possession of a player on, above or behind their own goal line, or becomes dead by rule, and the defending team is responsible for the ball being there (A.R. 6-3-1-IV; A.R. 7-2-4-I; A.R. 8-5-1-I-II, IV and VI-X; A.R. 8-7-2-II; and A.R. 9-4-1-VIII).When in question, it is a touchback, not a safety.

Exception:It is not a safety if a player between their own team’s five-yard line and goal line:(a) intercepts a pass or fumble; or recovers an opponent’s fumble or backward pass; or catches or recovers a kick; and(b) the player’s original momentum carries that player into their own end zone; and (c) the ball remains behind that team’s goal line and is declared dead in that team’s possession there. This includes a fumble that goes from the end zone into the field of play and out of bounds (Rule 7-2-4-b-1).If conditions (a)-(c) are satisfied above, the ball belongs to this player’s team at the spot where that player gained possession

:rolleyes:

He knee was down before he attempted the stupid throw out of bounds. His momentum carried him into the end zone, and he never exited the end zone. Touchback, not a safety.

I still can't figure out how the replay nullified the illegal forward pass but completely ignored the the fact that his momentum carried him there in the first place.

From the book:

SECTION 5. Safety How Scored

ARTICLE 1. It is a safety when:

a. The ball becomes dead out of bounds behind a goal line, except from an incomplete forward pass, or becomes dead in the possession of a player on, above or behind their own goal line, or becomes dead by rule, and the defending team is responsible for the ball being there (A.R. 6-3-1-IV; A.R. 7-2-4-I; A.R. 8-5-1-I-II, IV and VI-X; A.R. 8-7-2-II; and A.R. 9-4-1-VIII).When in question, it is a touchback, not a safety.

Exception:It is not a safety if a player between their own team’s five-yard line and goal line:(a) intercepts a pass or fumble; or recovers an opponent’s fumble or backward pass; or catches or recovers a kick; and(b) the player’s original momentum carries that player into their own end zone; and (c) the ball remains behind that team’s goal line and is declared dead in that team’s possession there. This includes a fumble that goes from the end zone into the field of play and out of bounds (Rule 7-2-4-b-1).If conditions (a)-(c) are satisfied above, the ball belongs to this player’s team at the spot where that player gained possession

:rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing this… I was saying to those in my watch party that if his momentum carried him into the end zone while fielding the punt, it would be a touchback, which this rule confirms.

I was hoping that was how it would have been viewed by the refs. They did not view it that way. It was pretty iffy at best, but our best shot at it not being a safety.

The player’s momentum is a discretion call by the referee on the field.
If he doesn’t deem it as his momentum causing him to go into the EZ, it doesn’t matter. That part of the rule is a judgement call by the official. You can argue it was the wrong judgement, but not the wrong call if he deemed it not his momentum.

Reactions: timnsun and WHCSC
A bonehead play, but I thought after review we would get the ball at the one foot line. Looked like his knee was down with the ball out of the endzone. Did they award a safety for penalty or being tackled in the endzone?

CTB NEVER should have been in this situation. It's all on him and whoever 'coaches' him.
I agree with this. As much as I was hoping the ref would see it my way, he never should have caught the ball in the first place.

I found this minor little rule, “When you were about 10 you were taught to not field punts inside the 10 yard line.”
Now come on, that’s not in any rule book… that’s an unwritten rule our coaches aren’t familiar with.

Be fair.

A bonehead play, but I thought after review we would get the ball at the one foot line. Looked like his knee was down with the ball out of the endzone. Did they award a safety for penalty or being tackled in the endzone?
Me too. Told the wife it's our ball on the six inch to one foot line

Reactions: bama_husker
He pulls the ball back just a bit as the defender approaches, right before the knee goes down. Before that, it appeared that he managed to check his momentum with the ball just outside of the endzone. Since the field officials did not originally rule him down, the replay booth had to 'spot' the ball. They decided that it was just inside the endzone when the knee went down. I don't think it mattered, but I'm not sure if the replay booth can rule on momentum (since that is a judgement call).

No no no. His knee was down LONG before he did his piroet and dipsy doodle
The forward pass had nothing to do with it. The ref said he was down before he threw the forward pass. I believe it was a judgement call that he was trying to get out of the end zone, but knee went down and the ball did not cross the goal line. So that is a safety. Now I am not saying that is what happened, but what I believe the ref called. Could be wrong.

An unfortunate “call”, but we definitely deserved whatever the punishment was.

That should NEVER EVER EVER happen.
That’s a coach who is fielding a team that is utterly clueless.
Not to mention before CTB trots out, what were his instructions?

No instructions? WHY NO INSTRUCTIONS??

The forward pass had nothing to do with it. The ref said he was down before he threw the forward pass. I believe it was a judgement call that he was trying to get out of the end zone, but knee went down and the ball did not cross the goal line. So that is a safety. Now I am not saying that is what happened, but what I believe the ref called. Could be wrong.
You are correct in the fact that's what the explanation was. I was responding as well that the illegal forward pass had nothing to do with safety. Unfortunately camera angles were so pathetic that they had no option but to let the call stand. But I personally think the ball should have been on at least the 6 inch line based on where the ball, knee and foot were

You are correct in the fact that's what the explanation was. I was responding as well that the illegal forward pass had nothing to do with safety. Unfortunately camera angles were so pathetic that they had no option but to let the call stand. But I personally think the ball should have been on at least the 6 inch line based on where the ball, knee and foot were
I agree and think the ball was past the goal line and should of been spotted at the one.

Watching it...I thought the ball should be placed where he made the initial catch...since momentum carried him into the end zone. The knee was down, thus the illegal pass never actually happened.

Since he caught it at about the 3 yard line, his momentum carried him into the end zone and since he never left the end zone, once he is ruled down, they would give him the ball where he originally possessed it.

Now, if the officials ruled he brought the entire ball out, then they could give him forward progress at the 6 inch line or they can say he brought it out and took it back in (then it would have been a safety).

I do think this was a missed call and the on field explanation was horrible.

Edit: Even if they determined he was trying to get it out of the end zone, that has no bearing on the call...if momentum takes him in, he still gets the ball where he initially possessed it until he brings it out of the end zone.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I had no problem with the call. Britt was flat out stupid , maybe getting that call will make him understand that.

Not sure if that applies because it was deemed an illegal forward pass, not a fumble.
In theory that pass never really happened because his knee was down on the goal line

Either way everybody involved with special teams should be fired, how a 4th year player doesn't know to put his feet at 10 yd and don't retreat is beyond me.

Reactions: Herbert Husker
Supposedly not if the momentum of the catch is the cause of crossing into the end zone. But when your team is that f’ing stupid, you don’t deserve the benefit of a closer look.
This is not an acceptable answer. Just because it was one of the dumbest plays you will ever see, doesn’t mean you deserve to get a shitty call against you. That was the wrong call!

Reactions: huskerfan66
This is not an acceptable answer. Just because it was one of the dumbest plays you will ever see, doesn’t mean you deserve to get a shitty call against you. That was the wrong call!
Typical. All always said big 12 officials were crooked and b1g were just bad

Reactions: BleedRed78
In theory that pass never really happened because his knee was down on the goal line

Either way everybody involved with special teams should be fired, how a 4th year player doesn't know to put his feet at 10 yd and don't retreat is beyond me.
Does the player deserve any of the blame or does he only do what he's told?

Does the player deserve any of the blame or does he only do what he's told?
If the special team coach told him that he could field the ball wherever the fvck he feels like it, I would say the coach deserves most of blame. But any player that played a little bit of football and return to any punts knows you put your heels at 10 and you don't retreat.

At that point time I knew nothing had changed and Scott frost last season at Nebraska was going to be long and painful.

Oh, I do agree. I think the NFL level of quality and review scrutiny would have made the right call. As much as you would hope that major college football oversight/officiating would aspire to that same NFL level of quality, they just don’t. College conferences are even happy to change rules mid-season just to benefit their favorite team.

My point was more that after the fact you’re just going to look foolish arguing against it because casual observers can’t get past the stupidity. Unfortunately, that includes B1G refs.

CTB NEVER should have been in this situation. It's all on him and whoever 'coaches' him.

Watch Dawson’s press conference. He discusses all of the special teams issues, what they teach & how they practice. I don’t think he’s ‘covering his ass’ with his responses.

Watching it...I thought the ball should be placed where he made the initial catch...since momentum carried him into the end zone. The knee was down, thus the illegal pass never actually happened.

Since he caught it at about the 3 yard line, his momentum carried him into the end zone and since he never left the end zone, once he is ruled down, they would give him the ball where he originally possessed it.

Now, if the officials ruled he brought the entire ball out, then they could give him forward progress at the 6 inch line or they can say he brought it out and took it back in (then it would have been a safety).

I do think this was a missed call and the on field explanation was horrible.

Edit: Even if they determined he was trying to get it out of the end zone, that has no bearing on the call...if momentum takes him in, he still gets the ball where he initially possessed it until he brings it out of the end zone.

Link to the NCAA rule that verifies this?

A safety was the right call. Yes CTB's momentum carried him back into the endzone. However if you pay close attention, he regained momentum when his body was in the end zone and the ball was actually in the field of play. He then brought the ball back inside the endzone and then his knee hit the ground. The end result is a safety.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
A safety was the right call. Yes CTB's momentum carried him back into the endzone. However if you pay close attention, he regained momentum when his body was in the end zone and the ball was actually in the field of play. He then brought the ball back inside the endzone and then his knee hit the ground. The end result is a safety.

I just watched the replay in slow motion and do not see what you are talking about. He slides backwards -- due to his momentum -- and his knee goes down in the end zone as he comes to a stop.

Husker ball.

If that is what he did, then you are correct. With the camera angles that I saw, I would not be able to determine if the entire ball came out or not.

ADVERTISEMENT