ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Pres: Resuming Sports Up to Schools

Jay Bilas: "...you have to remember — the NCAA office in Indianapolis has no say over football. And the SEC or the Big Ten, if they feel like they are safe enough to play football, they're playing football and the NCAA is not going to be able to stop it."

the SEC will 100% play. hope the B1G does, too.

Jay Bilas: "...you have to remember — the NCAA office in Indianapolis has no say over football. And the SEC or the Big Ten, if they feel like they are safe enough to play football, they're playing football and the NCAA is not going to be able to stop it."

the SEC will 100% play. hope the B1G does, too.
Amen

Reactions: bluenrg
Let’s get this thing going. We NEED to have a 2020 season, even if we don’t have fans in the stadiums. All that does is give each game a natural site feel to it.

The way the SEC states are opening with little to no restrictions, don’t be surprised to see fans in their stadiums opening day.

I could see that. I was just meaning have the 2020 season no matter what, even if that’s what it took. I’d have no bones with listening on the radio, watching on my iPhone or TV. I’m DOOOOWWWNNN!!!

The way the SEC states are opening with little to no restrictions, don’t be surprised to see fans in their stadiums opening day.

Yes, but people are still practicing social distancing and are 6 feet away for the most part...

Still don’t see full stadiums for College or NFL this year..

Yes, but people are still practicing social distancing and are 6 feet away for the most part...

Still don’t see full stadiums for College or NFL this year..
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see stadiums in FL, AL, GA filled for college football season.

it's May and those states, especially AL and GA, have lifted many restrictions after 6-8 weeks of having them in place. another 4 months to let the dust settle on the rest? I'm not sure what trends would point to those not being lifted, either.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see stadiums in FL, AL, GA filled for college football season.

it's May and those states, especially AL and GA, have lifted many restrictions after 6-8 weeks of having them in place. another 4 months to let the dust settle on the rest? I'm not sure what trends would point to those not being lifted, either.
we're likely going to have population immunity in the south very quickly.

I will be surprised to see any stadium’s full this fall due the Covid 19..

It will be enough to test all these players, coach’s trainers, officials before every game is played this fall making sure no one has contacted this virus..

I will be surprised to see any stadium’s full this fall due the Covid 19..

It will be enough to test all these players, coach’s trainers, officials before every game is played this fall making sure no one has contacted this virus..
I also think, like the NBA's new proposal, positive tests won't stop college football from resuming.

I don't know if widespread testing of every single player/coach/media person will even be a requirement by then. all the testing is just an assumption at this point.

nascar is racing this sunday, and they're not testing their drivers. sure, it's not football, but it's not like they have zero contact with anyone on race day, either.

I also think, like the NBA's new proposal, positive tests won't stop college football from resuming.

I don't know if widespread testing of every single player/coach/media person will even be a requirement by then. all the testing is just an assumption at this point.

nascar is racing this sunday, and they're not testing their drivers. sure, it's not football, but it's not like they have zero contact with anyone on race day, either.

NASCAR RollingLaughNo fans in the seats either..

Let’s compare basketball and football and leave it that..

NASCAR RollingLaughLet’s compare basketball and football and leave it that..
if college football games were happening this Saturday, I'd tend to agree with you.

they aren't. they're 4 months away. I'm using the sports that are getting back to competition now as a good litmus test as to what things could look like come fall.

if certain competitions don't test today (auto racing, horse racing), who's to say others will absolutely, 100% require testing then?

german soccer comes back this weekend. players/staff there are tested twice weekly, including the day prior to a match. results are given to staff doctors the day of, and those who're clear can participate.

and that's just using the technology available today. all in all, there's a pretty wide range of what it could look like down the road, and nothing's absolute or off the table in my opinion.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Before we even think about having games, Head football coaches are asking for eight weeks to get players in game shape, only till this happens is when we can start thinking about having a College football season...

This sport which you know isn’t NASCAR or horse racing or LOL soccer.

Before we even think about having games, Head football coaches are asking for eight weeks to get players in game shape, only till this happens is when we can start thinking about having a College football season...

This sport which you know isn’t NASCAR or horse racing or LOL soccer.
with the ncaa's announcement and local governments opening up left and right, don't be shocked to see programs returning to campus sooner than later.

iowa already said june 1. I think that's a reasonable expectation for NU, as well.

if college football games were happening this Saturday, I'd tend to agree with you.

they aren't. they're 4 months away. I'm using the sports that are getting back to competition now as a good litmus test as to what things could look like come fall.

if certain competitions don't test today (auto racing, horse racing), who's to say others will absolutely, 100% require testing then?

german soccer comes back this weekend. players/staff there are tested twice weekly, including the day prior to a match. results are given to staff doctors the day of, and those who're clear can participate.

and that's just using the technology available today. all in all, there's a pretty wide range of what it could look like down the road, and nothing's absolute or off the table in my opinion.
This thing will either be old news by August 1st or we'll have a sh##storm by then. Just look at how much has changed in the past 60 days from "we're all going to die" to oh wait "we have to stay locked down so not so many die". The bottom line at this point is that we achieved the goal of preventing our healthcare system from getting overwhelmed. Even New York City the poster child of what not to do, survived the onslaught We're going to build a LOT of natural immunity in the population over the next 60 days. The sooner the better because a vaccine won't be in time to save most at risk people regardless of what we do.

won't mandate a universal start date.

let the games begin!
So how does this work for college football, schedules and crowning a conf and National champion? What if a place like Michigan won't allow for football and doesn't play a 2020 season? I saw a tweet saying conferences were talking about doing home and home games with other teams to replaces games where teams can't play.
What about practices? So after June 1st Nebraska and other teams can practices as much or as little as they want? no limits?
This just seems like it is creating a hodge podge of do whatever. Which don't get me wrong, I will happily take a hodge podge if Nebraska has football.

This thing will either be old news by August 1st or we'll have a sh##storm by then. Just look at how much has changed in the past 60 days from "we're all going to die" to oh wait "we have to stay locked down so not so many die". The bottom line at this point is that we achieved the goal of preventing our healthcare system from getting overwhelmed. Even New York City the poster child of what not to do, survived the onslaught We're going to build a LOT of natural immunity in the population over the next 60 days. The sooner the better because a vaccine won't be in time to save most at risk people regardless of what we do.

That is going to be the key in the next 2-3 months, is how many around the country get natural immunity to the damn virus..

So how does this work for college football, schedules and crowning a conf and National champion? What if a place like Michigan won't allow for football and doesn't play a 2020 season? I saw a tweet saying conferences were talking about doing home and home games with other teams to replaces games where teams can't play.
What about practices? So after June 1st Nebraska and other teams can practices as much or as little as they want? no limits?
This just seems like it is creating a hodge podge of do whatever. Which don't get me wrong, I will happily take a hodge podge if Nebraska has football.

Heard a couple of weeks ago the B1G is thinking ahead on this and teams could play in 3 different places.. ( example) Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska in Minneapolis) How all this would work I have no clue.. They would have to have a game of Friday a early game on Saturday and a night game on Saturday night..

Reactions: husker2612
the ncaa controls the national championship, but not conference titles, so I don't think there'd be any change needed there.

as for everything else, I'm not sure, but as schools start to welcome back athletes, I'm guessing those questions will be answered.

I expect the SEC to operate as they normally would, but other conferences will have some obvious barriers to doing so. I assume governors and university presidents will have to remove their blanket policies and make exceptions for athletes versus the greater student body, which has been my expectation all along.

The SEC schools may very attempt to be back as normal but that non conference schedule won't be. They tend to play loads of very small and cash strapped schools that may not be able to field a squad to get that money

With all the conference realignment lately, and the California schools being closed this fall (and potentially indefinitely) i wonder if any forward-thinking conferences are having discussions with any of the non-California schools in that conference?

With all the conference realignment lately, and the California schools being closed this fall (and potentially indefinitely) i wonder if any forward-thinking conferences are having discussions with any of the non-California schools in that conference?
only the CA schools in the mountain west have been impacted thus far

still, an interesting question

Reactions: gw2kpro

won't mandate a universal start date.

let the games begin!
Goal posts moved, entirely. Lockdown was to save hospitals...thankfully, mission accomplished. Time to help protect the 15% if they can't be protect themselves, for some reason, and let the 85% live life, experience either zero, mild, or moderate symptoms and probable immunity, and move on. Let's roll- GBR!

only the CA schools in the mountain west have been impacted thus far

still, an interesting question

Yep. The PAC 12 will be passed in short order by the ACC, putting them in last place for P5 schools for TV revenue.

Nope. That's not the only consideration for conference affiliation. Not by a long shot.

But -- if you're Oregon or Washington, and you're already making 20+ million less in TV revenue than every B10 program, and the landscape changes to where you don't get to compete next season, maybe you do pick up the phone.

Reactions: bluenrg and gw2kpro
Also I wonder could we potential see a free for all type schedule. For example say Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan St, Penn St, NW state regulations don't allow them to play football this year. Could we see Nebraska replace games with another BIG10 team or maybe even go out of conf and play a team from another area that is open.

Reactions: bluenrg and gw2kpro
Also I wonder could we potential see a free for all type schedule. For example say Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan St, Penn St, NW state regulations don't allow them to play football this year. Could we see Nebraska replace games with another BIG10 team or maybe even go out of conf and play a team from another area that is open.
I have a hunch the MI and PA teams will play.

could be that we schedule regionally or just play a 9-10 game schedule.

I'll take a hodge podge of a season especially if it includes some Nebraska games but ultimately I'm curious how satisfy the season will be to many.

Don't get me wrong we're sort of in another great depression type of situation so people will enjoy the games but it's also going to be what are you doing for me now when we get to that moment. With all the angst that goes into whether the fifth best team was really a playoff caliber team in a normal year and all that it's somewhat hard for me to imagine folks will find a season that largely features the SEC and other teams filling in "coalition of the willing" in some random sort of scheduling as fulfilling.

Those guys and their ilk can stay home inside for 5 years until a "vaccine" is found. The rest of us will take our chances. When half the population of Sweden dies, I'll start paying attention.

Those guys and their ilk can stay home inside for 5 years until a "vaccine" is found. The rest of us will take our chances. When half the population of Sweden dies, I'll start paying attention.

Let no reality stay in his own domain and get fat eating pizzas.. He isn’t one of us who have seen a game amongst the Red Sea so who cares about his opinion..

Let no reality stay in his own domain and get fat eating pizzas.. He isn’t one of us who have seen a game amongst the Red Sea so who cares about his opinion..
You're right, I've never seen a Nebraska game in person....well, except for the ones I have.

In Boulder- 1997, 2003, 2007, 2009
2015 vs Northwestern in Lincoln
2016 vs Illinois in Lincoln

So yes, other than those 6 games, I've never been to one.

And...I didn't offer an opinion. I just posted links.

Last edited:
You mean "ilk" like epidemiologists....none of whom in the links I posted said to stay inside for 5 years?

the college football season will not be contingent on the virus being eradicated.

just like the NBA & the euro soccer leagues, people will need to be comfortable with positive tests happening while not causing the season to be shut down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT