ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Men's basketball rule change proposals

Pace of play would also improve if they would lock some of the head coaches in the locker room and let the players play.

I like the shorter shot clock, but it's still going to result in lot of bad shots if teams insist on milking it down to :10 or :12 before looking at the hoop. The problem has less to do with the length of the shot clock than the large percentage of it that gets pissed away on a regular basis.

Shortening the shot clock is setting us up for some horrible basketball...terrible idea

Shortening the shot clock is setting us up for some horrible basketball...terrible idea
As I said above, I don't think it's a panacea either. But at least it will shorten the interminable amount of time that so many teams piss away before a bad player has to take a bad shot, because the shot clock is at :02.

Make it :24 or make it :45 - doesn't really matter if you only really try to score after it gets under :10.

As I said above, I don't think it's a panacea either. But at least it will shorten the interminable amount of time that so many teams piss away before a bad player has to take a bad shot, because the shot clock is at :02.

Make it :24 or make it :45 - doesn't really matter if you only really try to score after it gets under :10.

Thank you. *takes breath*

I heard somewhere that they experimented in one of the postseason tournaments with the 30 second shot clock. They said possessions were up quite a bit, scoring was up a bit and shot percentage was lower. The 30 second clock may mean more scoring but offenses wont be better for it and won't eliminate getting the ball in the hands of some non shooter with 5 seconds left on the shot clock.

What I found to be most interesting, if approved, is that they will trial 6 personal fouls at the NIT next year. It hasn't been approved, of course, but I would be in favor of it.

I think reducing the shot clock will only help. Just my opinion. I also think the 5 second closely guarded count is a necessary elimination. If you are playing with a shot clock, you don't need a closely guarded count. Again, JMO.

Doesn't look like replay/monitor review got much attention this year. Only shot clock violations were addressed, but I would expect it to have a larger presence on the docket next year. From what I've heard at camps thus far, the biggest issue has been with technology and production crews showing the proper views in a timely manner.Until that gets sorted out, expanding the monitor review rule isn't a super idea.

I heard somewhere that they experimented in one of the postseason tournaments with the 30 second shot clock. They said possessions were up quite a bit, scoring was up a bit and shot percentage was lower. The 30 second clock may mean more scoring but offenses wont be better for it and won't eliminate getting the ball in the hands of some non shooter with 5 seconds left on the shot clock.

Like most things, I think it is a process coaches and players have to go through. Trialing it in a tournament gives you a relatively small sample size of looks at how players and coaches respond to the rule change. Shaving 5 seconds taken off the shot clock is over a 14% reduction in possession time. Good coaches will know how to or figure out how to adopt. Good teams with good players will also figure out how to adopt. There will obviously be more bad shots, especially as you go further into the season and teams figure out how to defend with 5 less seconds on the clock. I think it will be imperative that an emphasis on freedom of movement fouls again be pushed this year to prevent defenses from out-muscling offensive players at the end of the shortened shot clock.

ADVERTISEMENT