ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA changes college football Overtime rules

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
From now on teams are required to go for two in the 2nd OVT after the 2nd OVT then there will be a 2 pt shoot out..

This is just plan stupid ...Why not start OVT games from the 35 yard line instead of the 25 ? What’s the point of having a shoot out from the 3 yard line..

Did they get the idea from hockey or soccer?

Last edited:
I would like to see something like this:

Leave OT as is, but if a team doesn't get a touchdown by 3rd down, they have to either go for it on 4th down or try a 40-yard or maybe a 45-yard FG. This would bring some decision-making back into the mix and less schlepping the ball into chip-shot FG range.

I would like to see something like this:

Leave OT as is, but if a team doesn't get a touchdown by 3rd down, they have to either go for it on 4th down or try a 40-yard or maybe a 45-yard FG. This would bring some decision-making back into the mix and less schlepping the ball into chip-shot FG range.

So your proposing no 1st downs from the 25?
That would be a good idea for the 3rd OVT..

So your proposing no 1st downs from the 25?
That would be a good idea for the 3rd OVT..
No I'm okay with 1st downs, and keeping that part the way it is now. But if it's 4th down, whether you've moved the ball to the 1-yard line or haven't moved it at all, you have to either go for it or try a fairly difficult FG. I think this would cause teams to actually play for TDs the entire time instead of playing it safe.

probably 2 topics on the docket
1. recruiting cheating
2. ot rules

so they took months and months to discuss and change ot rules and just didnt have time to look into recruiting cheating. sure they had many, many meetings and also spent tens of thousands on travel to plush seasonal locations to maul over the situation and rules. fricken wuhan flu messed up travel destinations for sure.

No I'm okay with 1st downs, and keeping that part the way it is now. But if it's 4th down, whether you've moved the ball to the 1-yard line or haven't moved it at all, you have to either go for it or try a fairly difficult FG. I think this would cause teams to actually play for TDs the entire time instead of playing it safe.
I must be slow today. Aren't those always the only two options on 4th down in overtime?

I must be slow today. Aren't those always the only two options on 4th down in overtime?
Yes but I'm suggesting that they eliminate the chip-shot FGs and make teams kick from a significant distance, regardless of the line of scrimmage. I think this would incentivize playing for TDs.

Reactions: WHCSC
Yes but I'm suggesting that they eliminate the chip-shot FGs and make teams kick from a significant distance, regardless of the line of scrimmage. I think this would incentivize playing for TDs.
I gotcha now. So either a TD or a 35+ yarder regardless of where that are. That makes sense.

Reactions: schuele
From now on teams are required to go for two in the 2nd OVT after the 2nd OVT then there will be a 2 pt shoot out..

This is just plan stupid ...Why not start OVT games from the 35 yard line instead of the 25 ? What’s the point of having a shoot out from the 3 yard line..

Soccer OT is far more demanding and fair IMO. When in knockout games there is usually two 15 minute periods of OT, it’s only if it’s tied after those 30 minutes that you go to penalty kicks, none of the sudden death or runner on base to start the inning crap.

Soccer OT is far more demanding and fair IMO. When in knockout games there is usually two 15 minute periods of OT, it’s only if it’s tied after those 30 minutes that you go to penalty kicks, none of the sudden death or runner on base to start the inning crap.

Well soccer has very little scoring and I can see why they have shoot out in certain soccer games...

I know I shouldn’t compare a Orange to a grape..

I'm totally OK with this. Wow, people can get upset about the smallest things. It's the 3rd OT, get it overwith already.

I get that but they could have easily came up with something better than a 2 point shoot out from the 3..🙄

That’s why I like the idea better for both teams getting the ball at the 35 yard line..

Still think games would end quicker moving it back further..
I like the thought of moving it back to the 35. That can bring all 3 phases into overtime. If both teams go 3 and out from the 35..... special teams becomes huge. Which ever team has the stronger kicking game will win. That would make for some dramatic endings. Much better that a silly 2pt shootout.

Reactions: scarletred
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original system. These types of rule changes come about due to old cronies trying to justify their bloated salaries, but they do nothing at all to enhance the game and often just make it worse.

Not to mention most of the time in OT is spent switching possessions from one team to the other. A shootout does nothing to improve that and actually just makes it worse.

Reactions: scarletred
I am old enough I still fondly remember ties, and one team going for 2 in a Championship game.
Had OT been in play then, that particular play probably would not be part of the lore of the College game.

I know the argument. I disagree with it. What about the other team’s defense?

Coinflips shouldn’t have that big on an outcome on the game.
I looked it up. 60% of teams that win the OT coin toss also win the game. That means 40% who don't win the toss lose. Seems like that is a pretty sizable advantage. In some cases, it's simply a matter of getting more possessions. In other cases, it's because they scored a TD in the first possession. There is no perfect scenario. Let's say we give the second team a shot. They have a slight advantage because they know if they should go for it on 4th down vs. punt or FG.

I say we shouldn't hate on the tie. If you have the same score after 60 minutes of action, maybe you are just equal for that game.

That’s why I like the idea better for both teams getting the ball at the 35 yard line..

Still think games would end quicker moving it back further..
I’m down for this rather than having a confusing chain of events change every year.

I looked it up. 60% of teams that win the OT coin toss also win the game. That means 40% who don't win the toss lose. Seems like that is a pretty sizable advantage. In some cases, it's simply a matter of getting more possessions. In other cases, it's because they scored a TD in the first possession. There is no perfect scenario. Let's say we give the second team a shot. They have a slight advantage because they know if they should go for it on 4th down vs. punt or FG.

I say we shouldn't hate on the tie. If you have the same score after 60 minutes of action, maybe you are just equal for that game.
NFL overtime sucks and has just as many, if not more problems than college. I hate when people think we need to change the rules to match the NFL. There's a reason I watch college and not the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT