ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Baseball Championship Selection Thread (11am CT ESPN2)

D1Baseball's final projection has all three Big Ten teams on the same side of the bracket. No all B1G CWS final for us. Shoot!

• Haha
Reactions: sklarbodds
Maybe this is one of those "NCAA committee loves themselves a good storyline" situations with Van Horn vs. Bolt. Like they did in the basketball tournament to get Doug McDermott (Creighton) vs. Harrison Barnes (UNC) in the second round (they played together in high school).

I really hope the boys focus on taking advantage of the opportunity they have and not the opportunity they think they should have had.

Reactions: saluno22
Duke, who was 16-17 heading into the ACC tournament as the #9 seed, is a #2 seed playing at #3 Tennessee.

I know the NCAA likes to say after the top 16 placement within seeds is agnostic, but Nebraska going to #1 Arkansas as a 2-seed feels like a slap to the face.

A week ago, Duke wasn't a tournament team. How are they a 2-seed and not a 3?

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
A week ago, Duke wasn't a tournament team. How are they a 2-seed and not a 3?
That's a good question and I have no idea how that happens. But, it does raise another question in my mind - is there really any difference in a 2 or 3 seed?

That's a good question and I have no idea how that happens. But, it does raise another question in my mind - is there really any difference in a 2 or 3 seed?
Fair point. Within a regional, it only matters for home/away designations.

That being said, one hopes the NCAA has more fidelity to their seeding designations than "what difference does a 2 or 3 make?" This isn't like the basketball tournament where there are only four teams on each seed line. There are sixteen of each seed here, so the difference in seeding says a lot more for baseball than for basketball.

At the end of the day, you still have to win. My question is more how teams end up where they end up. Starting Friday (and probably much earlier), I won't care about seeding and will only care about winning.

Reactions: k9_r
Anyone planning to go and any chance to get a ticket to the Friday game. I looked at the University of Arkansas website and they said if they are available they will go on sale 90 minutes before the game.

Was just thinking of the imbalance in some regions looking "regional" and others just a scattershot... Why not just literally have a "draw" of teams if the NCAA isn't going to really differentiate the strength of a set of #2 seeds, a set of #3 seeds, and a set of #4 seeds? Treat it like most international championships and just guarantee teams from the same conference aren't in the same regional.

MICHIGAN GETS IN AT A REGIONAL 3 HOURS FROM ITS CAMPUS!!!! I AM SO ANGRY!!
yea, I’m upset that we didn’t land South Bend being the Big10 champs and playing in the most northern regional in the country..

And to top it off Michigan RPI was 88.🙄

Is there a minute marker where they talks about Nebraska?
There is a few different mentions scattered around in there but Nebraska doesn't make it into their two biggest surprises/disappointments. Those went to Norte Dame not getting a top 8 seed and one other that didn't interest me, don't remember.

All the Husker mentions centered around the surprise of going to Arkansas though. Also mentioned that we got the worst draw of the Big Ten. Duh.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Well, I'm not just disappointed I'm actually sad. We just had one helluva season and of all the 16 places they could have sent us they sent us to Arkansas to die. FML

Gotta be glad, I guess, that the players don't seem to think that way though. After doing the ol' golf clap at the announcement they seem to think - next game up. About all you can expect from them and it is a good thought considering.

Well, I'm not just disappointed I'm actually sad. We just had one helluva season and of all the 16 places they could have sent us they sent us to Arkansas to die. FML

Gotta be glad, I guess, that the players don't seem to think that way though. After doing the ol' golf clap at the announcement they seem to think - next game up. About all you can expect from them and it is a good thought considering.
Yes, it's just the latest card dealt them from the deck that has been stacked against them all season. They've used it as fuel and let's hope they can continue doing so.

And now I'm officially moving on from Selection Monday.

He's wrong. The regionals were chosen 2 weeks before we would have been able to bid due to restrictions per sports nightly
Nebraska bid on hosting. Mitch's point is that Nebraska may have had the opportunity to win a bid to host had the Big Ten allowed non-conference games and held a conference tournament. He's not wrong.

Reactions: bleedhuskerred
Nebraska bid on hosting. Mitch's point is that Nebraska may have had the opportunity to win a bid to host had the Big Ten allowed non-conference games and held a conference tournament. He's not wrong.
Yes he is . NCAA was only accepting bids from sites that could hold/guarantee a certain amount of seating. At that time, NU wasn't able to because of the Lincoln,restrictions to less than 50%. This didn't meet the minimum threshold. However, 2 weeks later it got lifted so we could schedule and sell tickets for the spring game

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT