ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi discusses Mark Whipple

And needed a pick 6 to win.

76 total rushing yards is not an efficient running game.

Just stop. Pitt couldn't establish the line of scrimmage and was lucky to get the win.

That just the truth.
the pick 6 was set up by a 92-yard Pitt drive that was kept alive by a short-yardage conversion and then capped by a short toss to the RB (extension of the run game) for a game-tying score

76 rushing yards. That's not efficient. You're counting a swing pass as a run play? Just stop.
So by Kong's definition of efficient run game, NU vs NW was super efficient! Pitt ran 39 times for 76 yards (including sacks) for 1.9 ypc while we ran 31 times for 110 yards (including sacks) for 3.5 ypc. We had an early pass to Grant that was successful but I don't see that it is included in the box score totals as an extended running play.

So by Kong's definition of efficient run game, NU vs NW was super efficient! Pitt ran 39 times for 76 yards (including sacks) for 1.9 ypc while we ran 31 times for 110 yards (including sacks) for 3.5 ypc. We had an early pass to Grant that was successful but I don't see that it is included in the box score totals as an extended running play.
how many first downs did we rush for in the 2H?

zero? one?

50 of our 110 yards came on one play (great individual effort by grant)

you guys are blind and it's sad to see what backing frost for so long has done to your football IQs

be better

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
I'm starting this is a troll thread

zero? one?

you guys are blind and it's sad to see what backing frost for so long has done to your football IQs

be better
Two TDS and technically 1 first down with the help of a face mask..

I don't think anyone is backing Frost in this thread.. The main argument started by you saying Pitt hasn't missed a beat without Whipple and continued to "pound the rock"... When in reality they ran for less than 2yrds/carry and less than 400yrds of offense.. Nothing to do with Frost

Reactions: OzzyLvr

zero? one?

be better
Pretending Pitt was efficient running the ball just so you can slam the Whipple hire is just sad

Be better.

I don't think anyone is backing Frost in this thread.. The main argument started by you saying Pitt hasn't missed a beat without Whipple and continued to "pound the rock"...
they ran effectively when they needed to and they won

we didn't and, well, didn't

• Haha
Reactions: tjlSker90
Pretending Pitt was efficient running the ball just so you can slam the Whipple hire is just sad

Be better.
I will admit it is a huge red flag and certain sign an individual is a loser when they agree to play/coach for frost

both pitt and Nebraska appear to have continued their divulging trends after 1 game (the entire season for Nebraska)

Alright I'll let you die on that hill

Leaving See Ya GIF by MOODMAN

I will admit it is a huge red flag and certain sign an individual is a loser when they agree to play/coach for frost

both pitt and Nebraska appear to have continued their divulging trends after 1 game (the entire season for Nebraska)
It's a red flag when somebody thinks 76 rushing yards is pounding the football

Last edited:

I don't think anyone is backing Frost in this thread.. The main argument started by you saying Pitt hasn't missed a beat without Whipple and continued to "pound the rock"... When in reality they ran for less than 2yrds/carry and less than 400yrds of offense.. Nothing to do with Frost

RB Rodney Hammond was very effective running and catching the ball. The starting RB struggled mightily. Give WVU credit up front- definitely the strength of their team. Pitt was missing their RT and 2 of their top 3 TEs. One of the TE's ended up in the hospital with some infection Wednesday- this caused a bunch of odd 6 and 7 oline looks which weren't effective.

The Pitt OC was extremely conservative to start the game and Pitt had very poor field position. The 2 were probably related. Slovis was 6-8 for 84 at the half; 10-16 for 220 and a TD in the 2nd half. Even with the extremely conservative play calling Pitt still scored 31 on what is supposed to be a pretty good WVU defense.

Be better.

Just an update. Even with most of the 2-deep missing games including not having their starting LT, RT and C in this game. (Pitt's starting Oline has yet to play a snap together this year.)

Whip apparently is the only person who can contain this kid.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHNNY N

Not sure what those are but his season totals are 129 carries for 830 and 12 TDs

Currently leads the FBS in:

» Rushing TDs (12)
» Total TDs (13)
» Points Scored (78)
» All-Purpose Yards (1,117)

He averaged 50 ypg with Whip- which was one of the biggest complaints.

Last edited:
I never understood the Whipple hire, for a lot of reasons. I thought Frost was under the gun to develop an identity by establishing a run game and not play checkers by calling plays in a random fashion. Hiring Whipple resulted in neither of these goals.

Reactions: Truewooper
Not sure what those are but his season totals are 129 carries for 830 and 12 TDs

» Rushing TDs (12)
» Total TDs (13)
» Points Scored (78)

He also had a heisman trophy Finalist QB to utilize. Pitt had one their best years in over a decade so any whining about failing to feed the RB are probably not warranted

I wasn’t excited about the Whipple hire, but I don’t know what everyone expects out of the guy when he’s dealing with this atrocious O-line. There’s probably all kinds of things he’d like to do differently and tons of problems he is dealing with behind the scenes.

I will say that we are on track to have a 3,000 yard passer, a 1,000 yard receiver and a 1,000 yard rusher. When’s the last time you could say that’s happened around here in the same season?

And no one can deny that as bad as our offense has looked, there’s always been that moment every game where he pulls a play out of his ass that goes for a TD when you least expect it. Usually to Trey Palmer.

So I’d hold off on the criticism atm, cause there are signs that this guy knows what he’s doing and might actually be a pretty decent OC.

We definitely could of done worse.

Curious who else MJ knows on the offensive side of the ball, coordinator wise..

I don't get the feeling he would make a change today, but lets just say the year plays out, we make a bowl game, and Mickey gets an extended interview.. we know Whip has stated he would ride Mickeys' coat tails.. but lets say MJ wanted to make a change down the road.. I'm curious who he might be looking at.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I wasn’t excited about the Whipple hire, but I don’t know what everyone expects out of the guy when he’s dealing with this atrocious O-line. There’s probably all kinds of things he’d like to do differently and tons of problems he is dealing with behind the scenes.

I will say that we are on track to have a 3,000 yard passer, a 1,000 yard receiver and a 1,000 yard rusher. When’s the last time you could say that’s happened around here in the same season?

And no one can deny that as bad as our offense has looked, there’s always been that moment every game where he pulls a play out of his ass that goes for a TD when you least expect it. Usually to Trey Palmer.

So I’d hold off on the criticism atm, cause there are signs that this guy knows what he’s doing and might actually be a pretty decent OC.

We definitely could of done worse.
Those stats are pretty interesting given how awful our O line coach and OC are…..🤫

Reactions: OAHU-SKER
Curious who else MJ knows on the offensive side of the ball, coordinator wise..

I don't get the feeling he would make a change today, but lets just say the year plays out, we make a bowl game, and Mickey gets an extended interview.. we know Whip has stated he would ride Mickeys' coat tails.. but lets say MJ wanted to make a change down the road.. I'm curious who he might be looking at.
Joe Brady.

Those stats are pretty interesting given how awful our O line coach and OC are…..🤫
They are interesting, but do the math and you’ll find that the stats add up.

I did a double take also considering how bad the offense has looked, but the numbers don’t lie.

All I’m saying is he might be doing a better job than what we realize. We might not be giving the guy enough credit considering the circumstances.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Joe Brady.
Sounds like he didn't have much success in the NFL, but did ok in college with great talent..

One of the readups on him sounded a bit 'Frost-like' i.e. "He's a bright offensive mind but he's very young. Sometimes young coaches that are extremely smart, outsmart themselves."

I know it's too early to get into OC talk, but wanted to get some idea of names that MJ might pull from if the situation were to arise.

They are interesting, but do the math and you’ll find that the stats add up.

I did a double take also considering how bad the offense has looked, but the numbers don’t lie.

All I’m saying is he might be doing a better job than what we realize. We might not be giving the guy enough credit considering the circumstances.
Exactly

Sounds like he didn't have much success in the NFL, but did ok in college with great talent..

One of the readups on him sounded a bit 'Frost-like' i.e. "He's a bright offensive mind but he's very young. Sometimes young coaches that are extremely smart, outsmart themselves."

I know it's too early to get into OC talk, but wanted to get some idea of names that MJ might pull from if the situation were to arise.
He actually wasn’t the OC for Burrow. He was the passing game coordinator. Brady appears to be a coach who made a lot of money off the talent they had on that offense. If you hire Brady as the OC, you better hire a head coach who calls the plays.

» Rushing TDs (12)
» Total TDs (13)
» Points Scored (78)

Are you saying Whipple doesn't call enough running plays?

He also had a heisman trophy Finalist QB to utilize. Pitt had one their best years in over a decade so any whining about failing to feed the RB are probably not warranted

Are you saying Whipple doesn't call enough running plays?

What I'm saying is-

Last season, Pitt's best (most dynamic) players on offense were Pickett, Addison, RB Abanikanda and RB Hammonds. Not fully utilizing all 4 makes little sense and probably cost them games along the way.

Not being able to run the ball in years 1 & 2 at Pitt is why he was getting canned if Pickett doesn't save his job in year 3 by coming back.

What I'm saying is-

Last season, Pitt's best (most dynamic) players on offense were Pickett, Addison, RB Abanikanda and RB Hammonds. Not fully utilizing all 4 makes little sense and probably cost them games along the way.

Not being able to run the ball in years 1 & 2 at Pitt is why he was getting canned if Pickett doesn't save his job in year 3 by coming back.
So you don't think the Pitt had good offensive production while Whipple was there?

And you're blaming Whipple for years 1 amd 2? Does he get any credit for year 3?

Blaming who on what? Lol

It's his job to figure out how to get the most out of his offense. He batted 1 for 3 at Pitt and didn't get his contract renewed because of it.

The point I was making, the same cast of characters (minus a bunch of injuried players) currently have #2 back in rushing yards when they couldn't run it effectively for the 3 years prior.

Blaming who on what? Lol

It's his job to figure out how to get the most out of his offense. He batted 1 for 3 at Pitt and didn't get his contract renewed because of it.

The point I was making, the same cast of characters (minus a bunch of injuried players) currently have #2 back in rushing yards when they couldn't run it effectively for the 3 years prior.
So you give them credit for what Whipple built?

And you're making a point?

Last edited:
So you give them credit for what Whipple built?

And you're making a point?

I think the point you are making is if a coach has generally more talent on his side of ball and doesn't mess it up too bad they generally have an opportunity to score some points and win some games. Yeah, you would be correct.

If you want to get into the weeds. Pickett's QB coach who he credits most for his development wasn't on staff with Pitt. It's Tony Racioppi from NJ.

It think it's safe say Coach Whip didn't use all of the talent effectively in all 3 years. See Israel Abanikanda as an example as he is currently leading the nation in all purpose yards. I don't think anyone denied that he was poorly used in his first 2 years. Same with Rodney Hammond last year.

Hopefully you are catching on better now and have a better understanding why Whip's contract wasn't renewed.

I think the point you are making is if a coach has generally more talent on his side of ball and doesn't mess it up too bad they generally have an opportunity to score some points and win some games. Yeah, you would be correct.

If you want to get into the weeds. Pickett's QB coach who he credits most for his development wasn't on staff with Pitt. It's Tony Racioppi from NJ.

It think it's safe say Coach Whip didn't use all of the talent effectively in all 3 years. See Israel Abanikanda as an example as he is currently leading the nation in all purpose yards. I don't think anyone denied that he was poorly used in his first 2 years. Same with Rodney Hammond last year.

Hopefully you are catching on better now and have a better understanding why Whip's contract wasn't renewed.

Dude is having a good year amd you think it's because Whipple isn't calling the plays?

Why is Anthony Grant ranked inside the top 10 rushers? Luck?

Dude is having a good year amd you think it's because Whipple isn't calling the plays?

Why is Anthony Grant ranked inside the top 10 rushers? Luck?

After watching Whipple lead Nebraska to the 101st best total offense while averaging 344 yards per game and 102nd in scoring offense at 22 ppg... do you get the point now?

Whipple's offense in 3 of the last 4 years has been abysmal.

ADVERTISEMENT