ADVERTISEMENT

deleted by author

Which of these coaches would you want as the next head coach at Nebraska?

• Chris Klieman

• Lance Leipold

• Gus Malzahn

• Hugh Freeze

• Jeff Hafley

• Matt Campbell

• Jeff Monken

• Billy Napier

• Jamey Chadwell

• Dave Doeren

Results are only viewable after voting.
At the end of the day, you have to know what can be recruited to Nebraska and that isn't going to be a dozen of 4-star WR's or big-name QB's. Nebraska has never had a roster with that type of makeup no matter the type of offense that was used.

Nebraska wins when they are running the ball, have good defense, and good special teams. I don't know why anyone would think any scheme could be used and work when there is a lot of data showing that any scheme does not work at Nebraska.

Nebraska needs to get back to using a fullback, RB, TE's and a game manager QB that can run some option plays.

Nebraska will never win at a high level again until they get back to smashmouth rushing attack, good special teams and good defense.

At the end of the day, you have to know what can be recruited to Nebraska and that isn't going to be a dozen of 4-star WR's or big-name QB's. Nebraska has never had a roster with that type of makeup no matter the type of offense that was used.

Nebraska wins when they are running the ball, have good defense, and good special teams. I don't know why anyone would think any scheme could be used and work when there is a lot of data showing that any scheme does not work at Nebraska.

Nebraska needs to get back to using a fullback, RB, TE's and a game manager QB that can run some option plays.

Nebraska will never win at a high level again until they get back to smashmouth rushing attack, good special teams and good defense.
Callahan's offensive scheme worked well enough to play in a Big 12 title game with a 3 star JC and Joey freaking Ganz and not a whole lot of 4 star WR. They ran the ball 40 times per game in 2006 and threw it 30 times per game. Brandon Jackson and Marlon Lucky had about 1700 yards combined, Zac Taylor threw for 3000 yards and you had 7 guys with 300 yards receiving and 4 with at least 30 receptions. That is the epitome of balanced, but that was too pass happy.

Nothing smash mouth about it and they won 9 games and lost to only top 15 teams with the exception of Oklahoma St. What you want is going to yield the same results. What don't you understand about that?

Nebraska will never win at a high level again until they get back to smashmouth rushing attack, good special teams and good
I like the offense run by Chadwell and Mullen and always thought it would work here, but the triple option offense you want with a fullback is not going to get us back to titles.

Reactions: BleedRed78
What system would Erick Bienenmy run in college? What are his coaching connections to hire a staff? We are already living through JV staff.

Would his heart be in it or run off to the NFL the moment of any success?

What system would Erick Bienenmy run in college? What are his coaching connections to hire a staff? We are already living through JV staff.

Would his heart be in it or run off to the NFL the moment of any success?
He is not qualified to be the head coach at NU. Not even close. Good heavens quit grasping at straws. There's a reason he has never been offered an NFL head coaching job and it isn't because he's black.

They were right and we were wrong. That's why. I'm not like you and think Frost is a keeper for Nebraska.
I haven't said that I thought Frost was a definite keeper. I've said that it's premature to fire him this early in the season. I've also noted the expense of firing him and having to pay off him and his staff. My hope would be that IF we retain him he would adjust his staff by removing some of the underperforming coaches.

Raiders FB gets 9 yards on the first play. The second play is an option for a large gain. Weird. I thought defenses were too big, too strong, too fast for stuff like this to gain yards?

Raiders FB gets 9 yards on the first play. The second play is an option for a large gain. Weird. I thought defenses were too big, too strong, too fast for stuff like this to gain yards?
Dude you don't listen or read. There is no hope for you. The Ravens did not spend anytime at all game planning the option. You will always catch them once. Gruden scripts his plays so the first 15 were already in. Lets see how many options Carr runs the rest of the game.

I know I am no Antirowboat, but

My list would include

Alex Grinch - OU DC
Mike Elko - A&M DC
Pete Kwiatkowski - Texas DC - formerly DC at Washington - a bit older at 55 but still good defensive coach

Maybe
Mike Tressel - DC Cincinnati, former DC at Michigan St

Marcus Freeman
Brent Venables
Jim Leonard

Dude you don't listen or read. There is no hope for you. The Ravens did not spend anytime at all game planning the option. You will always catch them once. Gruden scripts his plays so the first 15 were already in. Lets see how many options Carr runs the rest of the game.
I don't know about that logic, antirowboat might be on to something here.

About halfway through the second quarter against Buffalo, Martinez dropped back, eluded a sack, and ran for 71 yards right up the middle.

That worked so damn well it begs the question: Why didn't we keep doing it? It's simple, effective, and low risk for a turnover.

Just think. It was run once and went for 71 yards.

If we ran it 10 times, it would go for 710 yards and we would win almost for sure.

Of course, we'd have to sub in all the QB's because they'd probably get tired.

But I think it could work, even if there are naysayers who think it couldn't.

All ****in teams win when they play good D, play well on special teams and run the ball. Jesus.... It doesn't matter the scheme, pretty much all teams try to accomplish this goal....

This response may not age well as the season goes along but my thoughts are, whether Frost is retained or sent packing, I as a fan am ready to commit to a 20 year rebuild in the direction of a consistent sustained well oiled machine that starts with hard nose football. I was too young to appreciate the national championship success in the 90s and have lived through and supported the worse stretches of husker football since before Devaney, 07 was a trainwreck, Pelini's last years were toxic, Mike Riley was the epitome of dysfunction, Frost has been a complete disappointment and his body language says hes about to crumble( I do not want that too happen). If Frost is kept his staff needs to be addressed and changes need made, Frost himself needs to reevaluate everything he does and needs to ask for help on how to become a better leader, like it or not the defiant chew chawing attitude has got to go. US against the World mentality is mentally draining and will ultimately lead to failure. Ask Pelini. What I mean by 20 year rebuild is that I'm not even thinking champions of anything until we can consistently go out and play solid mistake free football that can allow us to play up to our competition not down to it for a change. Im willing to let Frost stay and earn it the hard way or for our next coach, those better be the expectations, we scratch out a plan, start at the bottom and build our way up, Im tired of the quick fix solution, Id rather be down the next few years with the expectation that 7-8 wins by year 3 and after. Not looking to become iowa west but you have to give credit when credit is do, you must first become iowa (football program) before you can topple it. I think we all know change is coming in one form or another and I look forward to it.

This response may not age well as the season goes along but my thoughts are, whether Frost is retained or sent packing, I as a fan am ready to commit to a 20 year rebuild in the direction of a consistent sustained well oiled machine that starts with hard nose football. I was too young to appreciate the national championship success in the 90s and have lived through and supported the worse stretches of husker football since before Devaney, 07 was a trainwreck, Pelini's last years were toxic, Mike Riley was the epitome of dysfunction, Frost has been a complete disappointment and his body language says hes about to crumble( I do not want that too happen). If Frost is kept his staff needs to be addressed and changes need made, Frost himself needs to reevaluate everything he does and needs to ask for help on how to become a better leader, like it or not the defiant chew chawing attitude has got to go. US against the World mentality is mentally draining and will ultimately lead to failure. Ask Pelini. What I mean by 20 year rebuild is that I'm not even thinking champions of anything until we can consistently go out and play solid mistake free football that can allow us to play up to our competition not down to it for a change. Im willing to let Frost stay and earn it the hard way or for our next coach, those better be the expectations, we scratch out a plan, start at the bottom and build our way up, Im tired of the quick fix solution, Id rather be down the next few years with the expectation that 7-8 wins by year 3 and after. Not looking to become iowa west but you have to give credit when credit is do, you must first become iowa (football program) before you can topple it. I think we all know change is coming in one form or another and I look forward to it.
https://www.grammarly.com/

Amen!! Yes, you can bet the ranch on that.

Wrong, Callahan proved you can recruit at a very high , high level to Nebraska. Just takes the right coaches. If Frost would have been winning 9-10 games per year, no doubt he'd be recruiting at a high level too right now. IMHO.
There are some people that will never get rid of that "the only thing that works here" mentality. Power running and a running QB. That is it. All other offensive schemes just simply wont work.

Never mind that Mike Leach has ran his offense at Kentucky, Oklahoma, the high plains of Texas Tech, the freaking wind and snow of Washington St and now Mississippi St. But you just can't throw the ball in Nebraska in the winter damn it. It is a fact.

Again, develop an elite defense and you can take your pick of offensive schemes and be successful. A defensive mindset travels and is impervious to weather.

Edit - Also totally agree on recruiting mindset. If you set your standard low, you will always reach it. The underdog mentality is such a loser way to go about things. We won't recruit 4 and 5 star players because they will probably say no anyway.

Last edited:

use paragraphs at least.

There is no such thing as a 20-year rebuild.

When Pete Caroll was hired at USC he was their 4th choice and he was regarded as an average NFL coach. He won bigly. He learned and adjusted.

Scott Frost's biggest problem is himself - his arrogance and refusal to learn and adjust. Arrogance is the one thing that can destroy a career for anyone in any profession. He is not a coachable head coach.

I like the offense run by Chadwell and Mullen and always thought it would work here, but the triple option offense you want with a fullback is not going to get us back to titles.
If you are referring to the the “triple option offense” as what Tom Osborne ran, that’s just wrong. It WOULD get us back to titles if it was also managed by TO. The problem is TO is not coaching again any time soon. Could another person step in to TO’s shoes and have the same level of success? That remains to be seen.

If you are referring to the the “triple option offense” as what Tom Osborne ran, that’s just wrong. It WOULD get us back to titles if it was also managed by TO. The problem is TO is not coaching again any time soon. Could another person step in to TO’s shoes and have the same level of success? That remains to be seen.
There's nobody like TO, so sorry it won't work again, not right now. I don't see it ever going back. A version of it like what Urban did, yes.

There's nobody like TO, so sorry it won't work again, not right now. I don't see it ever going back. A version of it like what Urban did, yes.
YOu do realize a spread triple option uses a lot of the same concepts as a wishbone triple offense, right?

People who say option football will never work again fail to understand the basic principles of where the RPO came from and how that has evolved too.

YOu do realize a spread triple option uses a lot of the same concepts as a wishbone triple offense, right?

People who say option football will never work again fail to understand the basic principles of where the RPO came from and how that has evolved too.
I understand fine, still not the same offense.

I know I am no Antirowboat, but

My list would include

Alex Grinch - OU DC
Mike Elko - A&M DC
Pete Kwiatkowski - Texas DC - formerly DC at Washington - a bit older at 55 but still good defensive coach

Maybe
Mike Tressel - DC Cincinnati, former DC at Michigan St

For a list of defensive minded coaches, I would include Jeff Hafley from Boston College. He has at least some experience as a Power 5 head coach and he has a reputation as a great recruiter.

Last edited:

aaaaaaa
men
(disclaimer: unless we can get a jerry tagge and johnny rodgers out of omaha)

Last edited:
I forgot to add Freeman to the list. Thanks for the reminder.

Venables and Leonard, to me, weren't even options because they have both turned down interviews for better jobs than HC at Nebraska (in it's current state).
Interesting, what HC jobs did Leonard turn down? I do think Leonard is a great DC, not sure how he'll do as a HC.

Last edited:
use paragraphs at least.

There is no such thing as a 20-year rebuild.

When Pete Caroll was hired at USC he was their 4th choice and he was regarded as an average NFL coach. He won bigly. He learned and adjusted.

Scott Frost's biggest problem is himself - his arrogance and refusal to learn and adjust. Arrogance is the one thing that can destroy a career for anyone in any profession. He is not a coachable head coach.
Sorry anti, I’ll try harder to impress you with my essay structure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT