ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts on New FBS Schedule/Playoff Format

giocatore83

Walk On
Jan 15, 2013
Don't roast me, pretty bored tonight since it is the first night in a while that I did not bring work home...

10 game regular season

- 9 league games

- 1 non-conference games

- Power 5 conferences to be matched based on strength of record from previous year/numbers alignment (IE – Big 10 v. SEC, ACC v. Pac 12

- Lowest rated power 5 conference plays highest rated group of 5 teams in descending order
- Highest rated independents fill in gaps if #s don’t align or strength does not match
- No repeat games from year before (or bowl season)
- Teams play most similar opponent

- Group of 5 conferences to be matched based on strength of record from previous year/numbers alignment

- Highest rated group of 5 conference plays lowest rated power 5 teams in descending order or highest rated independent can be replaced
- No repeat games from year before (or bowl season)
- Teams play most similar opponent

Conference Championships (+1)

- 20 team “playoff” + 12 wild cards OR independents

- Remaining teams seeded based on strength of record 1-16

Playoff Round 1 (+1)

- 16 team playoff

- Remaining 8 teams reseeded based on strength of record 1-8

Playoff Round 2 (+1)

- 8 team playoff

- Remaining 4 teams reseeded based on strength of record 1-4

Semi-Finals (+1)

- 4 team playoff

- Remaining 2 teams play for championship (+1)

Champion would play 15 games (same as now), but it would put an increased value on conference games and challenge of the non-conference and not allow anyone to fill non-conference with puffs since most teams that receive credit for non-conference games get it for one tough game. I get that 32 teams getting in means a lot of teams get in, but it also adds emphasis to winning early and also means teams that might give up at the end because they do not see the light at the end of the tunnel after losing 2 games won't do so due to having a chance at running the table.

Again, open to a roast, but just my thoughts!

Most major programs budget for seven home games. That would be the first big hurdle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT