ADVERTISEMENT

My take.

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Here is my unimportant opinion on the CU loss and Nebraska football. As far as the CU loss it is a loss that is inexcusable. There is nothing that can justify it nothing. I know people will say:

"We have a very young and inexperienced team"- Ok go take a peak and the CU roster, they may have a younger team than us. It didn't stop them

"MR left us a dumpster fire it will take time to get out of it"- Very true he did, again go take a peak at CU record not only last year but in years past. They are digging out of a much bigger hole.

"We are only year 2 with Scott Frost he has to get his players here"- CU has a 1st year HC with zero HC experience yet he made it work with what he has. Plus there are other programs with 1st or 2nd year HC who are already having success.

CU has recruited in the 40s and 50s most years. We are consistently in the 20s and 30. I don't want to year they have more talent, because they don't.

The better coach won yesterday nothing more nothing less.

As far as the state of the program. Im not seeing a ton of progress from last year to this year. I see us taking a step back from where we were last Nov. I came into this year with high hopes but understood it could take time. So I wasn't expecting a West title or 9 or 10 wins. All I really wanted to see was that we had made progress in the S&C from last year (which we haven't) and that we could finish out and win against teams that were equal or less talented than us ( we can't).
Frost continues to show he is unable to make adjustments and gets out coached by what we assumed to be less quality coaches.

Bottom line, the CU loss was inexcusable, the state of the program is showing little to no improvement from where it was last year at this time. All the excuses need to stop, this is Frosts team and great coaches find ways to get it done, make it work, and get the win.
However, 2 games into year 2 I am seeing a few people writing Frost and this team off already. Im not ready to go that far and I think it is insane to be giving up on this team and Frost this early in the process. He is still a young coach and learning. UCF and Nebraska are 2 vastly different levels of programs what worked there probably isn't going to work good here. It may take him time to get things figured out. I have faith he will get it figured out, it may take longer than any of us expected. So while I am frustrated and disappointed Im not giving up on him, the team or the season.

Last edited:
Football isn't a game of absolutes though. The reasons we are inconsistent are listed above. Colorado was inconsistent as well. They just made the plays to win that we didn't. We lost an OT game on the road that came down to a punter having to hit a 45 yard field goal. It sucks but it is what it is. I agree with sticking with this team though. They didn't go out and get waxed by 20-30. They fought and came up short. A home night game should be fun this week.

He is my unimportant opinion on the CU loss and Nebraska football. As far as the CU loss it is a loss that is inexcusable. There is nothing that can justify it nothing. I know people will say:

"We have a very young and inexperienced team"- Ok go take a peak and the CU roster, they may have a younger team than us. It didn't stop them

"MR left us a dumpster fire it will take time to get out of it"- Very true he did, again go take a peak at CU record not only last year but in years past. They are digging out of a much bigger hole.

"We are only year 2 with Scott Frost he has to get his players here"- CU has a 1st year HC with zero HC experience yet he made it work with what he has. Plus there are other programs with 1st or 2nd year HC who are already having success.

CU has recruited in the 40s and 50s most years. We are consistently in the 20s and 30. I don't want to year they have more talent, because they don't.

The better coach won yesterday nothing more nothing less.

As far as the state of the program. Im not seeing a ton of progress from last year to this year. I see us taking a step back from where we were last Nov. I came into this year with high hopes but understood it could take time. So I wasn't expecting a West title or 9 or 10 wins. All I really wanted to see was that we had made progress in the S&C from last year (which we haven't) and that we could finish out and win against teams that were equal or less talented than us ( we can't).
Frost continues to show he is unable to make adjustments and gets out coached by what we assumed to be less quality coaches.

Bottom line, the CU loss was inexcusable, the state of the program is showing little to no improvement from where it was last year at this time. All the excuses need to stop, this is Frosts team and great coaches find ways to get it done, make it work, and get the win.
However, 2 games into year 2 I am seeing a few people writing Frost and this team off already. Im not ready to go that far and I think it is insane to be giving up on this team and Frost this early in the process. He is still a young coach and learning. UCF and Nebraska are 2 vastly different levels of programs what worked there probably isn't going to work good here. It may take him time to get things figured out. I have faith he will get it figured out, it may take longer than any of us expected. So while I am frustrated and disappointed Im not giving up on him, the team or the season.
I want to make it clear Mel Tucker is 2-3 as an interim HC at Jacksonville (Jaguars) and a long history as a DC in the league and college. It didn’t just jump of the vegetable wagon.

Reactions: husker2612
I want to make it clear Mel Tucker is 2-3 as an interim HC at Jacksonville (Jaguars) and a long history as a DC in the league and college. It didn’t just jump of the vegetable wagon.
Lord, you are literally the first person on this board to figure this out. He was not a 1st time head coach and spent a decade as an NFL DC. Also, one of the reasons he was hired at CU was because he was more than just a DC at Georgia. He went there because he was offered the chance to build that program together with Smart. It was as much a partnership as it was coordinating. He did much of the planning, pre game and half time talks, media talks, etc. at Georgia. That's not insignificant considering what they did at Georgia. Unlike our past few hires, he came right in knowing what to do from day 1 with a precise plan of execution.

Also, not everyone on staff was 'just' a QC coach as some have said. All but our CB coach on the defensive staff had been a defensive coordinator at the collegiate or post collegiate level. All but our RB and TE coach on offense had been an OC at the P5 level. This is actually one of the better football staffs we've had here since 2002. Wasn't going to get into this argument until after the game when the air has inflated out of the egos.

Reactions: Bonski
ADVERTISEMENT