ADVERTISEMENT

My observations (not that anyone cares)

endohusker741

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2013
1. The improvements we heard about Drew Brown don't seem to have translated into game day. Very disappointed in his kicking. Sure, it was windy. But he is at Kicker U, and the starter. He needs to hit those. They had enough leg, but they were just inaccurate.

2. It was nice to see that there are coaching staffs out there who know how to make halftime adjustments. Even though we didn't come away with the win, the 3rd quarter was night and day from the 2nd quarter.

3. Going off of number 2, we need a consistent running game. We saw that in the 3rd quarter, it opens up so much options for the offense. But where was the zone read? Why did we stop with the option? Throw more of those in there instead of the fly sweep on 3rd and 1 that never worked.

4. Armstrong has made some strides in the passing game. He needs to plant his front foot on more of his throws, but he really made some improvements over the offseason.

5. Both lines are very suspect. Maliek Collins can't do everything himself, and we cannot rely on coverage sacks all the time. Randy Gregory will be missed all season. Need to somehow find a way to get some pressure off the edge. The inside blitz didn't work, and the edge blitz was better. Need more of that. The offensive line was getting beat all game. Now we know why we heard all about the defensive line in camp. The o-line was just getting mauled because they aren't very good.

6. Wilbon needs to be the starter. Get Newby involved on some of those jet sweeps, but Wilbon is patient, runs hard, and reminds me A LOT of Ameer.

7. Don't over do the screen play. Seems like Langsdorf tried it too much.

8. Same goes with the fly sweep on 3rd and 1 like I talked about on number 3. Was overdone and we need some ISOs.

9. There are some weapons and speed on the team, but without the o-line blocking for them, it is hard to get those weapons in space.

10. I found it funny that the camera was on Riley when there were penalties, just waiting for him to explode. ESPN needs to remember Bo is gone and he's not coming back.

11. What happened to Riley wanting to take shots down field in the passing game? To pretty much answer my own question, it was windy and Armstrong was still trying to get a rhythm. But with the wind at his back, I thought they would take some more shots down field.

12. Dedric Young, Stanley Morgan, and Joshua Kalu will all be big in a couple years. Might be this year.

13. I want to see Tommy scramble more. That might sound weird, but he has the talent to beat up the defense with his feet, and it seems like Langsdorf has tried to take away some of that. There were multiple times in the game where Tommy should've tucked the ball away and taken off. On that note, he really needs to stop intentionally grounding the ball.

14. These Mormons are not as nice as everyone makes them out to be. Lots of back and forth on the field and cheap shots, like the one on Sutton.

15. I was really hoping for a team that wouldn't have as many penalties. But that seems like the penalties are staying.

That's it for now. Still pretty pissed off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Husker Nsider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.