ADVERTISEMENT

My NU Defensive Prediction for 2022. (This is VERY LONG).

itseasyas1-2-3

Recruiting Coordinator
Sep 6, 2021
i believe those defensive players NU lost can be adequately replaced.
Without any disrespect whatsoever, the graduating players, in the last FIVE (5) years helped win a total of 19 games.

For those 6 year Super Seniors, even with the phony Riley season of 2016, collectively they went 28-41, and only three players, (Jo Jo, Stille, Dismuke) were even part of that 9-4 Riley season.

Anyway you slice it, they lost 5 straight years.

During last season, the season totals highlight the issues that this staff will have to address to be successful.

Last year:
NU outscored opponents 28ppg to 23ppg;
NU had MORE 1st downs;
NU had more rushing yards;
NU had a higher per rush avg;
NU scored 31 TD's rushing the ball to opponents 12;
NU avg almost 80 yards total offense per game than opponents;
NU ran 4 more total plays for year than opponents;
NU avg 6.5 ypp to opponent 5.3 ypp;
NU total offense 448 yards per game vs. opponent 366 yards per game;
NU had less total penalties and penalty yards than opponents;
NU had a higher % in 3rd and 4th down conversions than opponents;
NU had a total of 5 more turnovers than opponents;

These are the type of statistics you'd expect to see from a team that went 9-3 or 10-2.

In NU's 6 most difficult games last year, I.E. the 6 best opponents, we all know how kicking affected those games

NU was outpunted by OU 50 yards to 39 yards per punt;
NU was outpunted by MSU 59 yards per punt to 32 yards per punt;
NU was outpunted by MICH 51 yards per punt to 48 yards per punt;
OSU was outpunted by NU at 43 yards NU and 41 yards OSU per punt;
NU was outpunted by WISC at 44 yards to NU's 38 yards per punt;
NU was outpunted by IA at 44 yards to NU's 31 yards per punt.

As we all witnessed, the kicking game killed NU last year.

During a really difficult schedule last year, something was happening in the 2nd and 3rd quarters of games. Prior to the 2021 season, NU was getting their clock cleaned in the 2nd quarter and THEN at halftime NU was being outcoached/outschemed and the 3rd quarters were nasty.

Last year, that changed a lot. It tells me, Chinander is getting better, it's a combination of talent, experience, knowing the scheme, better depth, etc.

The fact was, NU was becoming very tough last season in Qtr 2 and Qtr 3:

2nd Qtr scoring for the season was 3 teams shut out, 2 teams held to 3 pts, 3 teams held to 6 pts, 2 teams held to 7 pts, and 2 teams scored 14 in the 2nd Qtr v. NU.

3rd Qtr scoring for the season was 4 teams shut out, 2 teams held to 3 pts,
3 teams held to 7 pts, 1 team held to 9 pts, 1 team held to 13 pts, and one scored 19 points.

As the season wore on and NU went through that physical meatgrinder portion of the season, clearly NU wore down. That's unavoidable.

All NU fans are concerned with the DL and the depth issue, both legitimate concerns. Daniels is the one NU will miss.

But, when you take a LOOK at what NU lost and what NU has now, it's not as dire as some might think.

Last year, teams ran the ball on NU too, it's not like they shut all run games down, with NU giving up 4.2 yards per rush.

Trying to replace Daniels, Stille, Deontre, Rogers, etc is a tall task, not so much in their departing talent, moreso their experience and
age. There was a lot of game experience and games started among that group. But, this years group is plenty experienced.

EDGE Nelson and Caleb both played in all 12. LB Nick and Reimers played in all 12 games. So did Kolavaric. Newsome and Farmer played all 12.

PLUS Drew played 23 games at Texas Tech AND 2 full years of juco ball, Mathis played in 40 games at TCU, Wynn was in 21 games at Bama.

Majority of the transfer DB's have played a lot of Power 5 football.

Nash is a work in progress and he's gonna take time, Ty HAS to be a man in there. He has to be that DL leader, none of us should worry about
Garrett firing up the troops.

You have to have overall talent of Defense, but there is NO substitute for playing with emotion.

So it's a collection on some experienced Power 5 players. Their talent level, vs. what NU lost will not be known until a few games are in the books.

I've been totally impressed with the new offensive staff. I see a huge difference just in their approach. Their expectations, they seem to KNOW what they are emphasizing,

Mickey ain't taking no excuses. Applewhite doesn't seem to care what grade class a RB is. Whip, we'll have to see how he transfers his approach
to the Big Ten defenses. I'm hopeful Raiola is a HUGE improvement over Austin.

This is a staff that appears to follow Busch's idea: You get what you emphasize. Details that have been non-existent are now under supervision and being emphasized.

Will it transfer into W's, who knows? The 2 most important games of the season for NU are Northwestern and Oklahoma. NU must beat NW. NU rushed for 467 yards last year with the same, less Jurgens and Nouili, personnel that now I "think" are being demanded more attention to detail.

Statistics are for losers. We all know that. But when I look at the overall season stats last year, those stats belong to a 9-3 or 10-2 team. No doubt about it.

The potential might be there. These kids need to learn how to win and overcome obstacles without falling apart. Games will show if NU is ready to make a big move in the right direction.

The punting woes, the returns, the subpar field goal game, and non-existence punt return game hopefully improve. NU's kickers have spent a portion of time with Maher, Koch, and Henery, that can't hurt to have 3 professional kickers mentoring these new kids.

Busch seems to be a HUGE, HUGE improvement in a key position that was a passing thought last years, and that part of the game cost NU big time.

I've laid out a ton of moving parts that have to fit together, and I may be totally off the mark. I want this team to become hard to beat, and not beat themselves.

Agree or disagree, that is my prediction. This is very long, probably tedious (if read at all) post.

In football and athletics, all numbers can be counted, but not all numbers count.

Last edited:
I think defense will surprise this year in that they won't lose much a step - if not be slightly improved over just year's squad. Pass rush can cure a lot of ills on defense, and I think we finally have a defect threat of overall good pass rush this season.

LBs are essentially same with some improved depth. Will be a strength this year for sure.

I think the dbs will be the REAL surprise though. Not many expect us to recover losing to solid senior safeties AND CTB... But I do. Coach Fisher's room seems as lively as ever!

Without any disrespect whatsoever, the graduating players, in the last FIVE (5) years helped win a total of 19 games.

For those 6 year Super Seniors, even with the phony Riley season of 2016, collectively they went 28-41, and only three players, (Jo Jo, Stille, Dismuke) were even part of that 9-4 Riley season.

During last season, the season totals highlight the issues that this staff will have to address to be successful.

Last year:
NU had MORE 1st downs;

These are the type of statistics you'd expect to see from a team that went 9-3 or 10-2.

In NU's 6 most difficult games last year, I.E. the 6 best opponents, we all know how kicking affected those games

During a really difficult schedule last year, something was happening in the 2nd and 3rd quarters of games. Prior to the 2021 season, NU was getting their clock cleaned in the 2nd quarter and THEN at halftime NU was being outcoached/outschemed and the 3rd quarters were nasty.

Last year, that changed a lot. It tells me, Chinander is getting better, it's a combination of talent, experience, knowing the scheme, better depth, etc.

2nd Qtr scoring for the season was 3 teams shut out, 2 teams held to 3 pts, 3 teams held to 6 pts, 2 teams held to 7 pts, and 2 teams scored 14 in the 2nd Qtr v. NU.

3 teams held to 7 pts, 1 team held to 9 pts, 1 team held to 13 pts, and one scored 19 points.

As the season wore on and NU went through that physical meatgrinder portion of the season, clearly NU wore down. That's unavoidable.

All NU fans are concerned with the DL and the depth issue, both legitimate concerns. Daniels is the one NU will miss.

But, when you take a LOOK at what NU lost and what NU has now, it's not as dire as some might think.

Last year, teams ran the ball on NU too, it's not like they shut all run games down, with NU giving up 4.2 yards per rush.

Trying to replace Daniels, Stille, Deontre, Rogers, etc is a tall task, not so much in their departing talent, moreso their experience and
age. There was a lot of game experience and games started among that group. But, this years group is plenty experienced.

EDGE Nelson and Caleb both played in all 12. LB Nick and Reimers played in all 12 games. So did Kolavaric. Newsome and Farmer played all 12.

PLUS Drew played 23 games at Texas Tech AND 2 full years of juco ball, Mathis played in 40 games at TCU, Wynn was in 21 games at Bama.

Nash is a work in progress and he's gonna take time, Ty HAS to be a man in there. He has to be that DL leader, none of us should worry about

You have to have overall talent of Defense, but there is NO substitute for playing with emotion.

So it's a collection on some experienced Power 5 players. Their talent level, vs. what NU lost will not be known until a few games are in the books.

I've been totally impressed with the new offensive staff. I see a huge difference just in their approach. Their expectations, they seem to KNOW what they are emphasizing,

Mickey ain't taking no excuses. Applewhite doesn't seem to care what grade class a RB is. Whip, we'll have to see how he transfers his approach

This is a staff that appears to follow Busch's idea: You get what you emphasize. Details that have been non-existent are now under supervision and being emphasized.

Will it transfer into W's, who knows? The 2 most important games of the season for NU are Northwestern and Oklahoma. NU must beat NW. NU rushed for 467 yards last year with the same, less Jurgens and Nouili, personnel that now I "think" are being demanded more attention to detail.

Statistics are for losers. We all know that. But when I look at the overall season stats last year, those stats belong to a 9-3 or 10-2 team. No doubt about it.

The potential might be there. These kids need to learn how to win and overcome obstacles without falling apart. Games will show if NU is ready to make a big move in the right direction.

The punting woes, the returns, the subpar field goal game, and non-existence punt return game hopefully improve. NU's kickers have spent a portion of time with Maher, Koch, and Henery, that can't hurt to have 3 professional kickers mentoring these new kids.

Busch seems to be a HUGE, HUGE improvement in a key position that was a passing thought last years, and that part of the game cost NU big time.

I've laid out a ton of moving parts that have to fit together, and I may be totally off the mark. I want this team to become hard to beat, and not beat themselves.

Agree or disagree, that is my prediction. This is very long, probably tedious (if read at all) post.

In football and athletics, all numbers can be counted, but not all numbers count.

long+post+ahead.jpg

Last year:
NU had MORE 1st downs;

In football and athletics, all numbers can be counted, but not all numbers count. The punting "out punting' stops took me over the edge.
I stopped reading 10 minutes in. The "outpunting" stats took me over the top.

I think defense will surprise this year in that they won't lose much a step - if not be slightly improved over just year's squad. Pass rush can cure a lot of ills on defense, and I think we finally have a defect threat of overall good pass rush this season.

LBs are essentially same with some improved depth. Will be a strength this year for sure.

I think the dbs will be the REAL surprise though. Not many expect us to recover losing to solid senior safeties AND CTB... But I do. Coach Fisher's room seems as lively as ever!
Bleed, I posted my opinion's based on what I hope will be the cumulative effect of "hopefully" NU cleaning up a lot of areas that can and should be improved upon.

At times last year, the offense moved the ball and made a mistake or failed to get an easy 3 points that may have changed the game result.

NU doesn't have to have a dominant offense, they just need an offense that doesn't keep shooting themselves in the foot, coming up empty, or putting the defense in a tough situation.

The defense doesn't have to be better than last year, but "hopefully" a much improved kicking game would play a part.

So many things play into how well or how poorly the overall team fares.

If NU continues to be "snakebit" as they have during the Frost, and even pre-Frost era, then NU will continue to find ways to beat themselves. And we can all continue to shake our heads.

10 minutes in? Did you graduate from kindergarten? Pick up your pace
rucker, Punting wasn't exactly an NU strength last year, and that aspect does play a part in how any team fares in tight games.

Jp, this is not directed at you, but I have rucker on Ignore so I hijacked your comment.

Reactions: Laner2
10 minutes in? Did you graduate from kindergarten? Pick up your pace
Again, jp, I'm commenting on what rucker said.

If it takes rucker TEN minutes to get to the punting portion, that's only 2-3 minutes into my long post. If it took rucker TEN minutes to read that far, I don't blame him a bit for giving up. LOL

Last edited:
still like to see a big improvement on third downs especially over five yards. Our third and especially long defense was below average, that’s gotta hurt they guys work there asses off the first two downs then lose focus or some mistake and first down.

still like to see a big improvement on third downs especially over five yards. Our third and especially long defense was below average, that’s gotta hurt they guys work there asses off the first two downs then lose focus or some mistake and first down.
No pressure on the quarterback was the main reason.

Reactions: moralvictories
I think I am going to be way wrong on Nelson, I thought that kid was never going to help.

Now, I think he could be a double digit sack guy this year.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Bleed, I posted my opinion's based on what I hope will be the cumulative effect of "hopefully" NU cleaning up a lot of areas that can and should be improved upon.

At times last year, the offense moved the ball and made a mistake or failed to get an easy 3 points that may have changed the game result.

NU doesn't have to have a dominant offense, they just need an offense that doesn't keep shooting themselves in the foot, coming up empty, or putting the defense in a tough situation.

The defense doesn't have to be better than last year, but "hopefully" a much improved kicking game would play a part.

So many things play into how well or how poorly the overall team fares.

If NU continues to be "snakebit" as they have during the Frost, and even pre-Frost era, then NU will continue to find ways to beat themselves. And we can all continue to shake our heads.
It's essential we win the NW game; The Wildcats will try to run the ball on us because that's the strength of their offense, I think that's a better situation for our opening game than facing a pass first team with our inexperienced secondary. After NW, we will have two more winnable games to get the secondary some needed experience before facing OU.

It's essential we win the NW game; The Wildcats will try to run the ball on us because that's the strength of their offense, I think that's a better situation for our opening game than facing a pass first team with our inexperienced secondary. After NW, we will have two more winnable games to get the secondary some needed experience before facing OU.
If NU fails to beat NW, it's likely NU would be 2-2 after OU, and Nu could unravel from there. But, I don't think so.

Reactions: moralvictories
The one thing we did not really give up last year was long passes. Sparty hit one on a flea flicker and Cam got beat for a TD vs NW but that was really about it.

I'd expect us to give up more there, losing an NFL corner and two safeties with a ton of experience.

Hopefully, the pass rush is much improved.

I don't think people really understand how lame NW is going to be.
NU is now 5 years into the Frost era, and NU is 1-3 in openers.

Lost to CU, beat So. Alabama, lost to Ohio St., lost to Illinois.

The year NU beat a very outmanned South Alabama, NU managed to throw 3 interceptions and lost 2 of 3 fumbles, that's 5 turnovers. NU also averaged 1.9 yards per rush against them.

NU has improved in openers despite the 1-3 record. Turnover counts from '18 to '21 were 3, 5, 2, 1. Of course, the 1 turnover against Illinois was a huge factor leading up to NU's loss.

I'm hopeful, with the departure of Martinez, and Whipple calling plays, the outcome is reversed. I don't have a handle on how well Thompson will take care of the ball, but I'm comfortable with Rahmir and Ervin having good ball security. We shall see.

This is a big factor. Both are very talented and their experience is a huge plus; keeping both healthy is a the key to Nebraska's success on defense IMO..
Ruud has committed to developing and using more players at the LB spot since both Luke and Nick wore down last year.
Clement can really run and is a natural blitzer. Haven't seen Hausmann but he gets a lot of ink for a true freshman. Seems like Snodgrass is slated to play quite a bit.

I do believe the front 7 overall might be/could be/hopefully will be pretty salty.

Ruud has committed to developing and using more players at the LB spot since both Luke and Nick wore down last year.
Clement can really run and is a natural blitzer. Haven't seen Hausmann but he gets a lot of ink for a true freshman. Seems like Snodgrass is slated to play quite a bit.

I do believe the front 7 overall might be/could be/hopefully will be pretty salty.
I'm not doubting the talent and athletic ability of the back-up LBs. My point is that you cannot easily replace players who have a great deal of game experience.

In my opinion, LB is a spot where you want your smartest football players. Being out of position or making a wrong read can bite hard. PLaying that position, having elite speed or excellent tackling skills is not going to help much if you bit hard on the play action fake while the TE ran past you and is wide open 15 yards downfield.

Heinrich and Reimers have the experience that starting a full season and defending all kinds of plays against all kinds of offenses will bring - they are much less likely to make crucial mistakes. That's huge.... and it usually pays big dividends.

I'm not doubting the talent and athletic ability of the back-up LBs. My point is that you cannot easily replace players who have a great deal of game experience.

In my opinion, LB is a spot where you want your smartest football players. Being out of position or making a wrong read can bite hard. PLaying that position, having elite speed or excellent tackling skills is not going to help much if you bit hard on the play action fake while the TE ran past you and is wide open 15 yards downfield.

Heinrich and Reimers have the experience that starting a full season and defending all kinds of plays against all kinds of offenses will bring - they are much less likely to make crucial mistakes. That's huge.... and it usually pays big dividends.
I agree, however, Coach Ruud has stated Nick and Luke will be rested more than last year. If that's the plan, I'm hoping its a winning plan.

Last year:
NU had MORE 1st downs;

"But, when you take a LOOK at what NU lost and what NU has now, it's not as dire as some might think."

Okay Scott....nice post here...but now we see reality setting in.

"But, when you take a LOOK at what NU lost and what NU has now, it's not as dire as some might think."

Okay Scott....nice post here...but now we see reality setting in.
Hey, the season isn't over, but the prediction looks pretty shitty at the moment. LOL

Should be 1-0 regardless of how many yards NU gave up.

Reactions: nu2u
What was that old saying, don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see?

You are missing the intent of my post. Believing what they hear coming out of camp/practices and going ga ga over a few Twitter film clips is a fools errand.
I based it on statistics from what was lost. A group of 6 super seniors that spent 5 years winning nothing.
I watched film, I know athleticism. The idea of this new staff focusing on special teams and trying to be more physical in the OLine is not buying their crap.

I really don't plan to justify (after this), what I wrote or said. Last years team had the look of a 9-3 squad that managed to continue to piss down their leg for a variety of reasons. Bring in new blood, hope Frost had had his wings clipped by Trev, and maybe, good things could happen. Instead, it was same old same old.

Didn't happen Saturday. Frost found a way to be his typical difference-maker self. Just the lack of physical conditioning of the overall team is what is ridiculous. NU had kids out there in key spots that were toast by the middle of the 2nd quarter. Really no excuse for that in modern sports, hell, it was mid 60's?

I knew when I wrote the post, I was subject to getting blown up if NU continued to be NU. I also came from a "big boy" message board where people wagered their opinions. So, a little pissing contest on this site is not a big deal. I have just as much fun calling out others for their opinions as anyone else, so I'm not gonna pretend that the post is gonna do me any favors.

Since it appears NU can't run the ball or stop either facet of a team like NW's offense, it looks like this squad will self-destruct before the other Big Ten teams come calling. The only solution is to rid this thing of Frost, likely a few more coaches and hope NU ponies up the dough and hires somebody who can right this mess.

Right now this team looks more capable of a 2-10 season than the other way around.

What difference does that make? Is something going to change suddenly?

Is it all "games" or just this one?
I popped into my office after the CT interception to see the reaction and got to read your little post.

I do know athleticism. I was comparing the players we lost from last year to those that were returning and the incoming players.

I'm not comparing Alabama players to NU's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT