ADVERTISEMENT

My look back 3 years in

dand84

Blackshirt
Oct 28, 2017
In 3 years, HCSF has amassed 3 losing seasons (12 wins in 20 games). 3 wins coming from non-conference warm up games. Out of the rest (all B1G), he has beaten 2 teams with a winning record (albeit both in his first year vs MSU and Minn, who both ended up 7-6 overall with losing records in the B1G). HCSF is averaging 3 B1G wins per year.

He has no quality wins. I've been tracking players and stats for all 3 years and have posted my take on those throughout, but that really doesn't matter at this point I think. At the end of the day, it is about the wins and losses and what happens on the field.

3 years in, I have to give him a D-. He doesn't get an F because I think he has recruited well. It isn't higher because many of his most highly touted recruits have left or been a bust. Jury is still out on some.

I think his coaching ability speaks for itself at this point. His teams show up unprepared to play, make the same mistakes over and over again, and simply don't seem to have what it takes at this level to win. To me, that is all on the head coach. He isn't making the changes that need to be made. He isn't getting the most out of his staff. He isn't getting the most out of his players.

He will still be here next year and most likely the year after simply because of who he is and what he has meant to the program in the past. But make no mistake, he hasn't earned these extra years he is going to get because he certainly has not achieved anything on the field to deserve more.

I hope he can turn it around, I really do. Flip whatever switch he needs to flip and start winning, but it is hard to see how he can keep recruiting at a high level but not producing on the field.

You might ask what I would have considered a passing grade over 3 years? I would say at least 1 or 2 signature wins, clear signs of progress forward and probably at least 1 bowl game.

In my engineering career there were some guys who knew everything about a specific machine or process, but were poor CEOs. They couldn't look at the big picture. Then there were guys who didn't seem to know much about the hard core engineering, but had a good handle on all the pieces. We referred to those guys as having knowledge that was a mile wide and an inch deep. But those were the guys who were great project leaders. They kept all the gears turning: engineering, purchasing, tools, shipping, budget, hiring, vision, human resources, legal, etc.

It is becoming apparent Frost may be a good football guy, but not much of a big picture guy.

In my engineering career there were some guys who knew everything about a specific machine or process, but were poor CEOs. They couldn't look at the big picture. Then there were guys who didn't seem to know much about the hard core engineering, but had a good handle on all the pieces. We referred to those guys as having knowledge that was a mile wide and an inch deep. But those were the guys who were great project leaders. They kept all the gears turning: engineering, purchasing, tools, shipping, budget, hiring, vision, human resources, legal, etc.

It is becoming apparent Frost may be a good football guy, but not much of a big picture guy.
He needs to become a big picture guy and manage all aspects of team. I would grade it out as...

DEFENSE: B- made big strides this year and played aggressive. Minus for some guys playing a little too aggressive resulting in targeting and hurting the team.

OFFENSE: D+ because the Offense had trouble moving the ball at times when it needed to get crucial first downs and had difficulty scoring TDs in the Red Zone. Seemed like the lights were starting to come on in the second half of the last game.

SPECIAL TEAMS: D- Only saving grace from an F was the FG kicker Culp

Reactions: CatColumbia
comparing the last 3 years with other power 5 programs

at the current time ... there are only 3 power 5 schools that are entering the 2021 season with a coach coming off 3 consecutive losing seasons

1- Neb
2- UCLA
3- Oregon State

Neb is the only one of those 3 schools that has finished 2 or more games below .500 in their respective conference each of the last 3 seasons -

• Sad
Reactions: BrighteRed24

at the current time ... there are only 3 power 5 schools that are entering the 2021 season with a coach coming off 3 consecutive losing seasons

1- Neb
2- UCLA
3- Oregon State

Neb is the only one of those 3 schools that has finished 2 or more games below .500 in their respective conference each of the last 3 seasons -

Name your team or STFU.

Reactions: headcard

1- Neb
2- UCLA
3- Oregon State

Name your team or STFU

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT