ADVERTISEMENT

My Gut: Fall Camp QB

Huskercjb

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 24, 2003
Beatrice, Nebraska
Next to the OL, I think QB is the most important position for Husker success this season for the offense. Here's what my gut is telling me.

The pundits are quick to point out that Tommy, and all the other QBs on the roster for that matter, were recruited for a different kind of offense. That led FOX Sports to go so far as to predict a 7-5 season for the Huskers.

Personally, I believe the QB play will be better this season for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I believe we're going to have a decent OL. They are consistently going up against one of the best DLs in the B1G. Maliek Collins is probably the best DT in the B1G, and I'm duly impressed by KW, VV, JG and GM. The report of McMullen's weight concerns me a little, but overall, I think the DL is impressive. That bodes well for our OL to play against lesser competition.

Second, I believe in Tommy Armstrong. He may not be a prototypical drop-back passer and he hasn't impressed with his completion percentage in his first two years as a starter. But, Tommy is above all else a competitor. He has been working hard in the off season and will know the playbook very well when the season starts. Second, he has been getting a lot of reps passing the ball so far in fall camp. Third, the entire passing offense is different than it has been in the pass. As I understand it, every play called last season had a running or passing option. Thus, it was up to Tommy to decide whether the D prescribed a run or a pass. This offense is different in that it incorporates screens, jet sweeps and slants a lot more. Though we are thin at TE, Ceithan Carter looks to be a great receiver as do some of the backs coming out of the backfield, including Janovich. We also have a couple of outstanding receivers in the slot position, which opens up a lot over the middle. Both Armstrong and JT impressed in the Spring game. Reilly and Moore can both spread the field and depending on Moore's hands, that could bode well for us. It's no secret that Tommy is best when he's slinging it long. Add to that Tommy's threat as a runner. He's not afraid to take off and could have some good runs this fall.

After watching the Spring game, I think the no. 2 position at QB belongs to Darlington. He's very smart, accurate and, even though, he doesn't have the arm strength of TA or Bush, he appears to be a lot more accurate.

In the final analysis, I see Tommy up around 60% this fall. He really wasn't that far off in a very different offense with a lot more decision-making to be made. Again, he's a competitor and although he made some sophomoric mistakes last season, he's not a sophomore any more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News