ADVERTISEMENT

My gawd... Nebraska in Arkansas regional.

Until the B1G quits penalizing teams in the conference (oversigning, scholarships and not being able to get as many players) the B1G will not be competitive in baseball. This also hurts Football as well. B1G pretends to be better than everyone but they have more horrible scandals and political games than any power 5 conference.

Until the B1G quits penalizing teams in the conference (oversigning, scholarships and not being able to get as many players) the B1G will not be competitive in baseball. This also hurts Football as well. B1G pretends to be better than everyone but they have more horrible scandals and political games than any power 5 conference.
yep. you will never, ever hear a non-b1g fan discuss the b1g's 'prestige'.

Ehhh, I feel like pitch count stuff has been blown out of proportion.

HS now you can't pitch the next day if you throw 30 pitches the day before. But 29 pitches...and you are good to go!
Some of us remember the days when pitch counts were unheard of. I remember when Wilber Wood started both ends of a doubleheader for the White Sox.

The SEC didn’t play any BiG TeN teams this year. Arkansas would have finished fourth at best in ThIs CoNfErEnCe
I kind of had that mindset with basketball this year. Turned out, the eyeball test wasn't what it seemed to be. I do think that our baseball team is pretty good but we don't have a measuring stick yet.

Those who are saying Northeastern may be the best team Neb has played, what are you basing that on? There is nothing in their season saying they are even close. As far as LSU playing in the Far west regional they had to go somewhere as there are nine SEC teams in the tourney. No clue about Central Connecticut.
Northeastern has a higher RPI than us. I'm going to think of us as the underdogs.

Those who are saying Northeastern may be the best team Neb has played, what are you basing that on? There is nothing in their season saying they are even close. As far as LSU playing in the Far west regional they had to go somewhere as there are nine SEC teams in the tourney. No clue about Central Connecticut.

The Big Ten didn’t play anyone outside the league so I have no idea how good they are in comparison to teams in other leagues. Which is why I wrote Northeastern may be the best team Nebraska has played.

One guy says Maryland is the best, based on what? Finishing 2nd in the standings,

Ya and that Fairfield is 3 seed with that spanking #2 RPI...

2nd in RPI strength of schedule of 164 should have given them a regional in some peoples minds..
don't we use the same strength of schedule argument for why the b1g is so great in football/basketball?

Ya and that Fairfield is 3 seed with that spanking #2 RPI...

2nd in RPI strength of schedule of 164 should have given them a regional in some peoples minds..
Who's mind? Show me a post where someone wrote Fairfield should be hosting a regional. I have read almost all of the posts with regards to the NCAA baseball tournament, I do not remember one post where someone stated that Fairfield should be a number one seed.

Strength of schedule bashed off the RPI.

Fairfield 164
Northeastern 223
Nebraska 159
Maryland 133
Ioway 101

don't we use the same strength of schedule argument for why the b1g is so great in football/basketball?
I hope the Huskers can advance, or at least give the Hogs a good run for their money. But if the Big Ten washes out of the baseball regionals, should have the standard talking points ready on how the Big Ten regular season was a meat grinder, and how BIG teams have a hard time adjusting to the tighter officiating?

Big 10 didn’t get to use midweek pitching like the test of the Power 5 baseball conferences..Using them would have really benefited the conference teams making the tournament not to mention improve their RPI slightly by doing so..

I feel like this is not worth arguing about anymore. It seems like it is pretty much the same 12-14 teams that make Omaha each year.

I feel like this is not worth arguing about anymore. It seems like it is pretty much the same 12-14 teams that make Omaha each year.
Very similar to football. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and whoever finishes 2nd in the SEC. That group of six will usually claim at least three of the four playoff spots, almost every year. Sometimes all four spots.

Geez who cares. It's the same thing as the NCAA tourney in basketball. Every year there are going to be a couple teams that get a bad seed, but at the end of the day to win a title you are going to have to knock off some good teams. That's tournament sports for you. It wasn't the best draw for NU, but shit, let's play the games and see if we can make it past Arkansas. Baseball is one of those sports where you can go extremely cold or get white hot and knock someone off. GBR and let's get some runs.

Geez who cares. It's the same thing as the NCAA tourney in basketball. Every year there are going to be a couple teams that get a bad seed, but at the end of the day to win a title you are going to have to knock off some good teams. That's tournament sports for you. It wasn't the best draw for NU, but shit, let's play the games and see if we can make it past Arkansas. Baseball is one of those sports where you can go extremely cold or get white hot and knock someone off. GBR and let's get some runs.

Good points but it’s not the same as Basketball where there is no home field ( court) advantage like there is in Basketball.

Looking forward to see what Bolt’s young program can accomplish in his teams first regional with a group of solid Seniors..

Reactions: donahues17
Would have been no different going to Austin..Win there and you have the 15seed in Florida..
That would have been great. The thing I miss most about being in a conference with you guys was the baseball rivalry. You kicked our asses all over the field more times than I care to recall but it was a blast. Good to see Nebraska winning again. Good luck guys.

How does this happen? How is it that the Big 10 Champion has to play the No. 1 overall seed? Maryland and Michigan bot got better seedings. It doesn't help that the Big 10 doesn't have a representative on the committee.
Hey man, it's not the Big Ten's fault Nebraska failed to step outside the conference and improve its overall resume.

Oh wait... it's entirely the Blowhard Ten's fault. Never mind.

Was this common in the Big Ten or any other conferences to play a conference only schedule?
I think Michigan's head coach put it perfectly:

"... One of the uncontrollables for us is the Big Ten’s decision to play conference only, which nobody wanted of the coaching group or the players. Nobody wanted a 44-game conference-only schedule. We all knew that could negatively affect our opportunities to play in the postseason because you couldn’t evaluate our teams against outside competition... "

Source

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
I think Michigan's head coach put it perfectly:

"... One of the uncontrollables for us is the Big Ten’s decision to play conference only, which nobody wanted of the coaching group or the players. Nobody wanted a 44-game conference-only schedule. We all knew that could negatively affect our opportunities to play in the postseason because you couldn’t evaluate our teams against outside competition... "

Source
Did Desmond Howard have a hot take on that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT