ADVERTISEMENT

My gawd... Nebraska in Arkansas regional.

I think Michigan's head coach put it perfectly:

"... One of the uncontrollables for us is the Big Ten’s decision to play conference only, which nobody wanted of the coaching group or the players. Nobody wanted a 44-game conference-only schedule. We all knew that could negatively affect our opportunities to play in the postseason because you couldn’t evaluate our teams against outside competition... "

Source

So now that the weekend is over can it be said with certainty Nebraska was underseeded? Arkansas is the No. 1 seed overall for the tournament so therefore the committee must have felt the Huskers were at the bottom of the pack of all No. 2 seeds. Of the sixteen No. 2 seeds NC State is the only one that won their region so far. I think my stats are correct. Nebraska is only one of four No. 2 seeds still alive this morning. Therefore ELEVEN No 2 seeds that were seeded better than the Huskers have already been eliminated from the tournament.

So now that the weekend is over can it be said with certainty Nebraska was underseeded? Arkansas is the No. 1 seed overall for the tournament so therefore the committee must have felt the Huskers were at the bottom of the pack of all No. 2 seeds. Of the sixteen No. 2 seeds NC State is the only one that won their region so far. I think my stats are correct. Nebraska is only one of four No. 2 seeds still alive this morning. Therefore ELEVEN No 2 seeds that were seeded better than the Huskers have already been eliminated from the tournament.
I think so, yes.

However, I also don’t really fault the selection committee given the nature of our conference (absolute trash) and the schedule it dictated (no non-con, no tourney).

Again, they don’t seed the number 2 seeds 17-32.

So now that the weekend is over can it be said with certainty Nebraska was underseeded? Arkansas is the No. 1 seed overall for the tournament so therefore the committee must have felt the Huskers were at the bottom of the pack of all No. 2 seeds.
If the committee was actually seeding #17 through #32 based on their resumes, Nebraska was definitely underseeded. But as mentioned before, it's all a big crap shoot beyond the top 16.

My main gripe is that the Big Ten really didn't allow its teams to compete for a #1 seed. We don't know if the Huskers could have climbed into the top 16 by playing teams like Oklahoma State, Wichita State, etc., because NU would have needed to win most of those games to prove itself worthy of hosting a regional. But it would have been fun to find out.

Huskers by far the biggest underdog of today’s game 7s (+200)

Next closest is LSU (+153 in Eugene)

All others are pretty even.

regional finals by region and seed

1 vs 3 in Austin, 1 won
1 vs 3 in Columbia SC - still playing
1 vs 3 in Eugene - still playing
1 vs 2 in Little Rock - 1 won
2 vs 3 in Ft Worth - still playing
3 vs 4 in Gainesville - 4 won
1 vs 3 in Greenville - 1 won
1 vs 3 in Knoxville - 1 won
1 vs 2 in Lubbock - 1 won
1 vs 2 in Nashville - 1 won
1 vs 2 in Oxford - 1 won
1 vs 2 in Ruston - 2 won
1 vs 4 in South Bend - 1 won
1 vs 2 in Stanford - still playing
1 vs 3 in Starkville - 1 won
1 vs 3 in Tucson - 1 won

4 of 16 still up for grabs
1 seed alive in all by Gainesville and Ft Worth
14 1 seeds playing in regional final
Nine 3 seeds playing in regional final
Seven 2 seeds playing in regional final
Two 4 seeds playing in regional final

updated

edit - for all of the hand wringing about the seeds, 13 or the 16 top seeds are still alive and 7 of the top 8 seeds are still in it.

Eke the 3 seeds have a bigger gripe in some cases.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT