ADVERTISEMENT

"Must Win" Game? I Say Yes.

TheBeav815

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 19, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
With the slate of visitors and the positive boost NU can get if they put it all together and get an exciting W on Saturday, I feel like this is a make-or-break game for the program.

Do it right, you're proving progress, beating a divisional rival who has backhand slapped you repeatedly, and setting yourself up to get commits from elite recruits.

Fall on your face, and it starts to take on that feel of "never gonna happen." Right or wrong, the supply of political capital is starting to run short for this staff. They need some statement wins to give fans and boosters the sense that NU is trending upward.

I hope they get it done. UW is in as vulnerable a position as they've been in recent years missing Cichy for the year and with Fumagale less than 100%. If Nebraska can't capitalize and get the win with this setup, when can they get it done?

If you take this game and next week's game into the fourth quarter within a score late into the game, win or lose, I think you start getting some positive attention - provided you follow those two weeks up with wins over NW, Perdue and Minn for sure, and probably Iowa as well, and don't get blown out by PSU. Better to beat WI and OSU than loose, but I don't think they are must win as long as we show progress and competiveness - but losing these makes winning all but PSU on out imperative, IMO. Win one of these two, and people will notice.

I think we win this. Following up with other wins will be the next task and not having a fart game.

However, from what I have seen and heard, many people would be fine with Nebraska losing as it relates to Mike Riley and the direction of the program. Only a blowout would shake a few cages, but Wisconsin doesn't strike me as a team that can blow us out.

If you take this game and next week's game into the fourth quarter within a score late into the game, win or lose, I think you start getting some positive attention - provided you follow those two weeks up with wins over NW, Perdue and Minn for sure, and probably Iowa as well, and don't get blown out by PSU. Better to beat WI and OSU than loose, but I don't think they are must win as long as we show progress and competiveness - but losing these makes winning all but PSU on out imperative, IMO. Win one of these two, and people will notice.
NU will not be competitive with OSU. I have not seen any signs that Nebraska will move the ball in that game. I fully expect the defense to be respectable early and the offense to be incapable of staying on the field so the D gets worn down to the point of "Please go easy on us and keep it under 60."

NU needs to beat Wisconsin, not play respectably. NU has comparable talent to UW, if not better. They need to find ways to beat that team if they are in fact an improving program. Period.

I think we win this. Following up with other wins will be the next task and not having a fart game.

However, from what I have seen and heard, many people would be fine with Nebraska losing as it relates to Mike Riley and the direction of the program. Only a blowout would shake a few cages, but Wisconsin doesn't strike me as a team that can blow us out.
I see posters say he needs another year no matter what, but I do also think the tide is changing... if Riley loses here it’s another nail in his coffin, which already has nails in it.

He definitely is on a short leash, in my opinion. The question is, how short is the leash?

NU will not be competitive with OSU. I have not seen any signs that Nebraska will move the ball in that game. I fully expect the defense to be respectable early and the offense to be incapable of staying on the field so the D gets worn down to the point of "Please go easy on us and keep it under 60."

NU needs to beat Wisconsin, not play respectably. NU has comparable talent to UW, if not better. They need to find ways to beat that team if they are in fact an improving program. Period.
This

Reactions: HuskerDana
I don't care how ugly this game is, if we can manage to be 1 point ahead at the end of the game it will be HUGE. I think this is one of those games where it can really boost the team. Or just the opposite if we lose, especially if we lose badly.

I don't care how ugly this game is, if we can manage to be 1 point ahead at the end of the game it will be HUGE. I think this is one of those games where it can really boost the team. Or just the opposite if we lose, especially if we lose badly.
Yep. Last year we lost in overtime in a close game. After that loss the wheels came off

Reactions: TheBeav815
They need some fish in the boat. It's been very quiet on recruiting and it makes me wonder if some of the kids are in a "wait and see" mode with NU. Gotta be able to get guys to commit, all the stars are gonna align for them. Big game at night, TV, division rival, several huge recruits on hand, you have to close and get that W. Gotta be able to say to Parsons and Co., "You see that? Here we come, you're gonna be on the team that holds up trophies, but you gotta get here. We need you. We got these guys, we need you to get Ohio State, we need you to get Penn State."

6-6 still looks like best case scenario, meaning losing to the 3 big boys and at least one of the toss up games. Next year’s schedule is even harder meaning the immediate future is not pretty.

I still believe this game is the biggest of Riley's career at NU to date.
I think that's accurate. Not necessarily because of Wisconsin this season but because of where Riley is in his progression as NU head coach. This game is very much a barometer of whether they're moving into a higher category as a team or whether they continue to not show up for games against teams of equal or lesser talent.

That, to me, is what Nebraska of old had. Their effort and discipline were going to exceed their God-given talent. I'm still waiting to see that since T.O. retired.

I just want to beat Wisconsin.

Hopefully practicing against the 3-4 will help our offense.

Please stop the jet sweep and off tackle play.

I see posters say he needs another year no matter what, but I do also think the tide is changing... if Riley loses here it’s another nail in his coffin, which already has nails in it.

He definitely is on a short leash, in my opinion. The question is, how short is the leash?
Id say it's pretty long.
We are getting to the point as a program where there are no must win games, outside of factual "must win this for bowl eligibility" or "must win this tiebreaker for the west" etc.
Let's just win tomorrow please and none of it matters!

In my opinion, the decision has already been made. The outcome of the game isn't going to change the course already set.

Reactions: Chuck003
So, for instance if Riley beats Wisconsin and wins the west he is still gonna be fired? Dumbest thing I've heard in awhile.
I didn't say that now did I? Mike is likely going to retire. You think winning one game will make the big ship that is Nebraska, change course for an old ball coach that isn't from here? Nebraska isn't going to win the West either. Check your 'dumbest thing' comments.

I didn't say that now did I? Mike is likely going to retire. You think winning one game will make the big ship that is Nebraska, change course for an old ball coach? Now that could be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Did I say one game? I said beat Wisconsin and win the west. You people who have the hard on for Frost act like its a done deal and Big 10 play has just begun and we are 2-0. The goals are still out there. Not saying it will happen but if it does......hmmmm???

I didn't say that now did I? Mike is likely going to retire. You think winning one game will make the big ship that is Nebraska, change course for an old ball coach that isn't from here? Nebraska isn't going to win the West either. Check your 'dumbest thing' comments.
Stranger things have happened. If Tanner stops throwing picks and the D keeps playing lights out Why not NU to win the west? Beating Wisconsin could be a big confidence boost for the rest of the season.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Did I say one game? I said beat Wisconsin and win the west. You people who have the hard on for Frost act like its a done deal and Big 10 play has just begun and we are 2-0. The goals are still out there. Not saying it will happen but if it does......hmmmm???
I understand. Everyone wants to see magic tricks and rabbits pulled out of hats.

Id say it's pretty long.
We are getting to the point as a program where there are no must win games, outside of factual "must win this for bowl eligibility" or "must win this tiebreaker for the west" etc.
Let's just win tomorrow please and none of it matters!

Are we playing another Friday night game? F*^&#@&^!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: timnsun
I understand. Everyone wants to see magic tricks and rabbits pulled out of hats.
So, the team should be like you? Just roll over and mail it in the rest of the year? IF they beat Wisconsin they can take the West. But...for fans like you Frank Ferrana Jr the seasons already over and the decisions already been made so why even watch the rest of the games right??

Yes, win this game and you have a minuscule shot a 8-4.... lose then get stomped by OSU your looking at a cieling of 6-6

Yes, win this game and you have a minuscule shot a 8-4.... lose then get stomped by OSU your looking at a cieling of 6-6
I would say it’s minuscule right now… Win this weekend and it jumps up dramatically. If we win this weekend, then we just need to beat NW, PU, Minn, and Iowa. I would put our chances to do that with a win this weekend at 30%, assuming we keep trending up in our games. But we gotta win Saturday to have that chance. No win and I would say no chance at 8 wins.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

If we win this weekend we are in the drivers seat for the division.

If we win this weekend we are in the drivers seat for the division.
So much this. If we beat Wisky that is really a two game swing. Iowa has already shot themselves in the foot. Minnesota isn't competing. Who knows what Northwestern brings to the table but not much. I feel pretty good about our chances with a win over Wisky. Even with losses to OSU and PSU I guarantee you Wisky will slip up again.

Win....PERIOD. I don't care about next week at all. Riley has to win this game. Even though I'm not his biggest fan, I hope he does and I honestly think he does.

They need some fish in the boat. It's been very quiet on recruiting and it makes me wonder if some of the kids are in a "wait and see" mode with NU. Gotta be able to get guys to commit, all the stars are gonna align for them. Big game at night, TV, division rival, several huge recruits on hand, you have to close and get that W. Gotta be able to say to Parsons and Co., "You see that? Here we come, you're gonna be on the team that holds up trophies, but you gotta get here. We need you. We got these guys, we need you to get Ohio State, we need you to get Penn State."
That tends to happen when folks overreact and fire the AD three games into a season. The doom and gloom folks who extrapolated a stubbed toe out to a disaster season went ahead and amputated both legs just as a “precaution”

Reactions: nordakotahusker
That tends to happen when folks overreact and fire the AD three games into a season. The doom and gloom folks who extrapolated a stubbed toe out to a disaster season went ahead and amputated both legs just as a “precaution”

SE was garbage, end of story. Not a good guy, not a good steward of Nebraska's athletic program. He's a chump.

Mike Riley has every chance to right the ship but he better start producing asap. The fact his guy was canned sets the appropriate tone.

I am a TC all the way and I hope Mike gets it done, because the last thing I want to see is another recruiting class fall apart, and I think the best thing that can happen for Nebraska football right now is a little success and development by the current staff this season.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
SE was garbage, end of story. Not a good guy, not a good steward of Nebraska's athletic program. He's a chump.

Mike Riley has every chance to right the ship but he better start producing asap. The fact his guy was canned sets the appropriate tone.

I am a TC all the way and I hope Mike gets it done, because the last thing I want to see is another recruiting class fall apart, and I think the best thing that can happen for Nebraska football right now is a little success and development by the current staff this season.
This. Shawn wasn't fired just because we stubbed our toe in the first three games. That's a bowl of malarkey.

I hope Mike gets it done, too, starting with Saturday.

SE was fine. You are just being led to be kind he was garbage because a bitter, butthurt crusty old $-;@ can’t get over the fact that he is a terrible AD and had to be moved on. Said it before, program will be stuck in neutral until his dying breath because he won’t stay out of it.

My Husker prayer is that we beat Wisconsin who I can't stand, then let MR retire and serve in recruiting advisor capacity and bring back SF who is our future.

SE was fine. You are just being led to be kind he was garbage because a bitter, butthurt crusty old $-;@ can’t get over the fact that he is a terrible AD and had to be moved on. Said it before, program will be stuck in neutral until his dying breath because he won’t stay out of it.
I'm not sure I would put it quite so bluntly, but I will say it must be very distracting running the department and coaching with the "Nebraska Way" cabal lurking around every corner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT