ADVERTISEMENT

MRI, Young, Bando together - how different is the defense?

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
Run D has been pretty good regardless of whose been at LB. Does the presence of all three (or two plus a nickel) really change our defensive prospects? Who are our best backers in coverage (who goes out when we play nickel)?

I'm hoping it will improve our blitzing and getting quick pressure on the QB. The DB's aren't good enough to last for very long right now.

All three tackle well - and Bando has shown flashes of being a good middle blitzer. Hopefully one of the edge guys brings something - getting home with the blitzes more often will definitely help this defense. I think they have to bring blitz pressure - due to lack of Pass Rush with front 4 alone. Although Freedom might change that - he has the potential to be the next Eric Martin type rusher (how I miss Caveman).

It changes a lot of things actually. Also don't forget the presence of Johnathan Rose as well. You don't have to think Rose is a great corner, but it changes the way the personnell is set up when Rose Ivey, Bando, Young, and Jon Rose are on the field.

1. Kalu goes back to his strength at Nickel or an occasional boundary corner.
2. Cockrell can play his best position at Strong Safety. He's really good in pursuit and vs. the run. You can tell Cockrell watches a lot of film. He picks up tendencies in the running game and is a step up from Corey Cooper athletically. As a nickel, covering dynamic Slot guys, he's exposed.

That's the 1st advantage.

3. In this scheme, the MIKE Linebacker (Banderas) has the fewest pass coverage responsibilities. However, when you're concerned about your Nickel coverage, you utilize more Cover 2 and thus forcing Banderas to drop back into the middle 3rd. He's not bad in that role. But the more you have to drop him in coverage, the weaker your run defense becomes, and the less you can pressure from the middle. And in this scheme, the MIKE LB can actually rack up a lot of TFLS and Sack numbers.

4. Luke Gifford, is not Mike Rose-Ivey. The SAM linebacker has the most responisbility on the field vs the run and in flat coverage. Gifford finished with just 1 tackle vs. BYU. Rose Ivey had 11 in week 2. You can tell MRI plays at another level. He's violent and looks like a future pro. They sent Gifford on 2 blitzes, he telegraphed both and failed to reach the QB. The 2nd one vs. BYU resulted in Mangum converting a 3rd and 17 on their 2nd FG drive. WIth Rose Ivey on the field, it gives Banker another blitzer if he decides to drop Banderas into coverage. Rose Ivey has speed sideline to sideline in pursuit that Nerbaska has sorely missed for 2 years, not just this season.

5. Dedrick Young was recruited as a D1 running back by a bunch of programs. The kid can run. He gives Nerbaska a WILL capable of running with a back out of the backfield or a tight end/hback out of the backfield. Miami made a lot of "hey" last season exploiting Nebraska's lack of speed on the edge. His presence means Nebraska can afford to pressure more with Bando or Rose Ivey and not worry about getting exposed from the hash to the sideline on the weakside. Young is also a Weak Side Blitzer that Nerbaska hasn't even shown yet.

The biggest key for these 3 LB's is speed and athleticsm. Nebraska hasn't had 3 guys who could run like this at the same time since maybe 2003.

I truly believe Nebraska beats BYU if Rose Ivey is on the field. But I really like the fact that Miami has NO film of these 3 on the field at the same time. I imagine we will send some pressure like crazy.

What I was looking for Corn, thanks. It's great to have three athletes back there.

Well, I had a little opinion here...but no use even trying after Corn just knocked it out of the park.

It changes a lot of things actually. Also don't forget the presence of Johnathan Rose as well. You don't have to think Rose is a great corner, but it changes the way the personnell is set up when Rose Ivey, Bando, Young, and Jon Rose are on the field.

2. Cockrell can play his best position at Strong Safety. He's really good in pursuit and vs. the run. You can tell Cockrell watches a lot of film. He picks up tendencies in the running game and is a step up from Corey Cooper athletically. As a nickel, covering dynamic Slot guys, he's exposed.

3. In this scheme, the MIKE Linebacker (Banderas) has the fewest pass coverage responsibilities. However, when you're concerned about your Nickel coverage, you utilize more Cover 2 and thus forcing Banderas to drop back into the middle 3rd. He's not bad in that role. But the more you have to drop him in coverage, the weaker your run defense becomes, and the less you can pressure from the middle. And in this scheme, the MIKE LB can actually rack up a lot of TFLS and Sack numbers.

4. Luke Gifford, is not Mike Rose-Ivey. The SAM linebacker has the most responisbility on the field vs the run and in flat coverage. Gifford finished with just 1 tackle vs. BYU. Rose Ivey had 11 in week 2. You can tell MRI plays at another level. He's violent and looks like a future pro. They sent Gifford on 2 blitzes, he telegraphed both and failed to reach the QB. The 2nd one vs. BYU resulted in Mangum converting a 3rd and 17 on their 2nd FG drive. WIth Rose Ivey on the field, it gives Banker another blitzer if he decides to drop Banderas into coverage. Rose Ivey has speed sideline to sideline in pursuit that Nerbaska has sorely missed for 2 years, not just this season.

5. Dedrick Young was recruited as a D1 running back by a bunch of programs. The kid can run. He gives Nerbaska a WILL capable of running with a back out of the backfield or a tight end/hback out of the backfield. Miami made a lot of "hey" last season exploiting Nebraska's lack of speed on the edge. His presence means Nebraska can afford to pressure more with Bando or Rose Ivey and not worry about getting exposed from the hash to the sideline on the weakside. Young is also a Weak Side Blitzer that Nerbaska hasn't even shown yet.

The biggest key for these 3 LB's is speed and athleticsm. Nebraska hasn't had 3 guys who could run like this at the same time since maybe 2003.

I truly believe Nebraska beats BYU if Rose Ivey is on the field. But I really like the fact that Miami has NO film of these 3 on the field at the same time. I imagine we will send some pressure like crazy.

Seriously great stuff here Corn....as usual.

Zaire Anderson>Dedrick Young

lee-corso1.jpg

Banker needs to dial up some new looks this week, utilize this combination of players, and demonstrate his ability to outsmart the guys on the other sideline.
This week is where we see what the D is made of.

Not after the knee injury Junior. Zaire never returned to 100% PLUS Bo's scheme absolutely paralyzed Zaire. There is no comparison and IF he stays healthy Young is going to be a much better linebacker than Zaire. Young's the real deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT