ADVERTISEMENT

Moving forward

tithay01

Walk On
Dec 12, 2010
I believe that it has been 16 years since we played for the NC.

Part of the problem it seems to me is that us Husker fans with the help of the local media and some poor coaching have been eating our own program alive. Remember we helped fire two 9 win coaches.

If it is Frost I would like to see a 10 year contract with a huge buy out. He will deserve more time than the last 3 because he is family. The program will be successful again or become Minnesota once great but it was so long ago no one remembers and no one would care.

No matter who is hired or not hired we all need to be in the boat if this thing is going to be successful again.

Part of the problem it seems to me is that us Husker fans with the help of the local media and some poor coaching have been eating our own program alive. Remember we helped fire two 9 win coaches.

If it is Frost I would like to see a 10 year contract with a huge buy out. He will deserve more time than the last 3 because he is family. The program will be successful again or become Minnesota once great but it was so long ago no one remembers and no one would care.

No matter who is hired or not hired we all need to be in the boat if this thing is going to be successful again.
This whole NU fans expect too much thing is bunk - yes expectations were out of whack maybe when Solich was fired but considering we were the dominate power in CFB preceding Solich it is understandable. Since then we gave these coaches plenty of time to put together solid programs
* Callahan was .500% coach
Pelini was given 7 years despite his toxic nature and multiple blow outs in games that mattered
Riley - please we are just flat out horrible

Its our turn to get a bit lucky imo - the decision makers who led us into this mess are no longer around and we are targeting or have locked up a very solid candidate with a great resume

Remember we helped fire two 9 win coaches.

If it is Frost I would like to see a 10 year contract with a huge buy out.

The program will be successful again or become Minnesota once great but it was so long ago no one remembers and no one would care.

We as a fan base had no say in Frankie getting the axe. That said, he would have seen it sooner rather than later. Bo needed to be tossed; period.

I like the idea of NU committing to a coach for the long haul too, especially one of our own, but we don't know just how he'll do here. We don't know if Scott is willing to agree to 10 years out of the gate either. Personally, I see him doing well here, but if he isn't cutting it... we then find ourselves in an awkward position.

I don't see Nebraska football ever being forgotten and not cared about. We could find ourselves in "Minnesota purgatory" for years, but we already did that in the 40s and 50s. Nebraska was actually a decent program prior to that stretch of poor results. Nebraska didn't forget about the game, rather we had a hard time watching the product on the field. Sound familiar?

Reactions: timnsun

Can't do a 10 year. If we happen to get a great coach then this would be perfect. If we get a bad coach we are stuck is very bad situation that would be tough to get out of. 5-7 year is good. If a coach can't get it done in that time frame they will never get it done in 10. If they do get it done then we can alway give contract extensions

Can't do a 10 year. If we happen to get a great coach then this would be perfect. If we get a bad coach we are stuck is very bad situation that would be tough to get out of. 5-7 year is good. If a coach can't get it done in that time frame they will never get it done in 10. If they do get it done then we can alway give contract extensions

Depends on your definition of "get it done?" TO took a long time to get to the promised land if you are measuring NC's. OU owned him for years like Wisconsin and Ohio State own us now. Playing for a CC game in 5-7 is realistic, that gives time for some turnover in classes. Personally, I think whoever comes in is in a no-win situation - although as we all know, winning takes the nay-sayers down for a while. For too many people it is not only that we must win but how we win is important. There are lots of ways to get this done.

I agree with the OP, to an extent. Yes, fan expectations are not the sole reason it is hard coach here and certainly not the sole reason coaches have failed. But the fans don't help.

Most would agree that fan expectations contributed to Solich's premature firing.

Did the fans bear any of the responsibility for the "bunker mentality" Pelini instituted among his players? I mean, he was shielding them from the fans (and media, I guess). The fans were responding to the crappy play on the field, of course. They would not have been a problem if the team were winning, or at least losing less badly.

And yet the way the fans react is at times venomous and counter-productive. Need proof? Go look at the threads from last week's game after Tanner Lee didn't come back in the second half. He was, in not so many words, called a pussy and quitter and taken to be evidence of the team's overall mental and physical weakness. This is nothing new. Turns out he had a concussion.

What happened to Riley this year? The team loses a game to NIU that they never should have lost and all of a sudden the world is coming to an end. The AD is fired and the coaches and players cannot help but go into desperation mode and the season is lost unless they can pull out a win against Wisconsin.

What happened then? I saw a mistake prone and not terribly well-coached team hang tight for three quarters, but after that the wheels came off and the season went down the shitter from there. It's impossible to stay loose with that kind of pressure. It makes it harder to win.

Look, the point is not that the fans got the coaches fired. Riley, Pelini, and (arguably) Solich all deserved to be fired. If Riley's squad were better coached and more mentally and physically tough, we wouldn't have been losing to Wisconsin in the first place.

The point is the fans don't always help, and sometimes, oftentimes, they even make it worse.

The new coach whether it be Frost or somebody else deserves no more or less special treatment. You let them decide how to run their team including who they want as assistants. Give them the freedom to succeed or fail based on their choices. They will then be judged by their W-L record AND the trend in which the team is going.

Riley is getting fired after only 3 years because the team is on the wrong TREND - it's getting worse from year to year and worse as the season progresses. Had he shown an improving trend, he would have been given more time but no coach is going to survive for long if the trend is one of getting worse and worse.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT